ADVERTISEMENT

UofL baseball thread

Slow off season time with relatively little Cards basketball talk to be had I guess. I'm just wanting to hear the NCAA ruling and get all that stuff out of the way so we can look to the future without that hanging over the program.

I don't have a thing for HS boys. So the sport isn't really all that interesting to me anymore. Only if you're making money off it, could you really care about it these days.

It's possible I guess, I've been drinking pretty heavily lately. Most days are a blur. Turn out the lights when you leave.
Thurby Day,Oaks and to top it off Derby.Geez,I drank enough beer to float a ship.Under normal circumstances,we get a day of rest on Sunday.Not this year....and i'll leave it at that so nobody gets offended.

I think it happens about once every 10 years or so.

Knock on wood, but looks so far like McClure was laying low for the Dores...

Damn...why didn't somebody post a thread about the game? I just happened to check out the ESPN family of networks and saw they were playing. #5 vs #7. Leading 5-2 in the top of the 6th. Bring this one home Cards!

Burdi does not rely on that 100 mph fastball anymore.He's got a change up now.He's come so far since early this year.Batters looking to sit on that fastball now aren't seeing it so early in the pitch count...at least not always.;)

Burdi does not rely on that 100 mph fastball anymore.He's got a change up now.He's come so far since early this year.Batters looking to sit on that fastball now aren't seeing it so early in the pitch count...at least not always.;)
Burdi, according to no less than analysts for more than one college baseball site, has thrown the most dominant baseball of the season, especially at crunch time again UNC. He has improved so much this season, it is absurd.

That this site ignores baseball for us free rabble is a slap to its own face or else an effort towards greed, perfectly positioned to fail. The rest of Card Nation is wildly in support of this club and coach and their baseball sections are growing and enthusiastic. Big mistake.

Reactions: American Male
I'm expecting big time performances by a lot of guys on this team this post season.I'm not adding the pressure.They have done it themselves.I think they've come a long ways as a group and have done so because of what they laid out at the start.I personally love it.

If this team gets stingy at the plate about taking 3rd strikes and gets one more lefty out of the pen,the strengths are there and ready to round this squad out.A couple more weeks to fine tune and then show it off.

A gem by McKay tonite.Wolfpack ripped 2 bee bees in the 1st and not much after.Solack's solo shot the difference in this one,as Burdi relieves Mac late and continues his surge of dominance.

Great win by the Cards and fun game to watch.Had to be a near record crowd.Give Taylor an assist on 2 out rbi single for insurance in the 8th.Love where Taylor,Hairston and Lyman have gotten to with this team.Invaluable.

The crowd was announced as a little north of 4,200. Hard to set a record until tickets are sold for the NCAA rounds because people don't sit shoulder-to-shoulder. When you have an assigned seat, you pack in...

Reactions: gocds
Outstanding game tonite. Great pitching AND field play. The crowd was incredible with their support. I am looking forward to the Saturday game @ 1:00 pm.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Outstanding game tonite. Great pitching AND field play. The crowd was incredible with their support. I am looking forward to the Saturday game @ 1:00 pm.

:)

Made the game today. Weather was like a mid-November football game. Decent crowd and great game. Burdi 3 strikeout ninth was really impressive. Last State batter caught looking at called third strike on 3-2 count changeup that had him completely fooled.

Maybe going unnoticed in this one is the defensive plays.Rosenbaum has staked a claim at 1st base imo,and he showed why today.He's not the only one though.There were plays aplenty on defense.This team is honing in and it's showing.

Reactions: fredburgcard
It's not like it was total domination this weekend,but our starters handcuffed a very good offensive team,there was just enough timely hitting and the defense was solid.In other words,there will be plenty of games when our offense won't look great but it doesn't have to always be pretty.This weekend was like that a bit.Just win.It's not how,but how many...

You're not going to dominate a Top 10 club any more/better than this baseball team did over the weekend...

You're not going to dominate a Top 10 club any more/better than this baseball team did over the weekend...
A couple of posts from the NC State board:

Posted: 5/14/2016 4:07 PM

Re: baseball @ Louisville 5/13-15
star_20.gif
(3 votes)

Louisville is a pro team. How much unc money does it take to keep a first round pitcher at school?? We are a normal top 10 college team. They are the nl all star team.

Posted: 5/14/2016 8:52 PM

Re: baseball @ Louisville 5/13-15
Talent wise Louisville is right there with UF and far ahead of everyone else. I thought they were the best team last year and they threw up all over themselves and lost a home regional to a team that couldn't score all season.

Reactions: Steelers2012
How does a team dominate the ACC and yet lose 2 of 3 against a Boston College? Because it's baseball...you bring it everyday and even then guys have off days.

The word "dominant" or "dominate" was used in the context of the NC State series. I wouldn't say we dominated the ACC anymore than Miami or FSU did this year...

In fact, I was in Miami for that series and UM was, in my opinion, "dominate". Especially for the first two games even though the first game was settled by a walkoff home run. UM and FSU are the real competition for the ACC tourney. Wake Forest seems to have awakened and they will give us a tough series on the road.

Both FSU and Miami "dominated" us. I never felt like we were going to win down there, at either place, once the balls rolled out. Burdi gave up his ERA down there with the Abreu Slammy. Otherwise, his ERA would be below .80, lol. But Funk was troubled and way off, both teams are excellent anyway, but dominance was in the air.

That was a reality test and I think we responded really well.

Reactions: gocds
We are a measurably better team now than we were when we played both UM and FSU. Of course, they both may have improved also. Although FSU has had some discipline issues and are missing a few "pieces" now. I think we are as good as either of them and our opportunity in the tourney is high.

I had this sense even recently that some thought the baseball season was a little bit of a disappointment; to go this late into the season before winning a road series is a big part of that, especially in light of the fact that Louisville didn't lose a single series home or away last season. But you look up today and the only team in college baseball with more wins than Louisville is Florida, and we've played some very tough road series. Make no mistake about it, this team is constructed for not only the postseason--because we've proven to be just about unbeatable at home which translates to success in both Regional and Super Regional play at home--but Omaha. I think if we can get there the ability of this team to execute bunts, the number of hitters making not only two out hits but productive outs, to be aggressive on the basepaths without being reckless and our ability overall defensively (something that we struggled with last year with Whiting in particular), we're seeing the type of product that wins in Omaha. That big ballpark with its big power alleys was practically blueprinted for our lineup and the combination of our pitching staff with our outfield defensive range.

Reactions: earsky
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT