ADVERTISEMENT

UK would be lucky to finish top 6 in ACC

Just to give you some of UK fans some education, the following SEC teams have never been to a Final Four, not even once:
Texas A&M
Ole Miss
Alabama
Auburn
Vanderbilt
South Carolina
Missouri
Tennessee

These SEC teams have only made the Final Four one time:
Georgia (1983)
Mississippi State (1996)

So just to recap, 10 of the 14 SEC teams have either never been to a Final Four or only been to the Final Four once. Arkansas hasn't been to a Final Four since 1995, leaving only UK, UF and LSU having been to a Final Four in the 21st Century.

And out of that LSU has only made it to the Final Four once this century. But please UK fans, try again to convince that the SEC is not a 2 team league when all the evidence points to that very fact.

Meanwhile in the ACC, here's a list of the amount of Final Fours by school:

UNC - 19 Final Fours
Duke - 16 Final Fours
UofL - 10 Final Fours
Syracuse - 6 Final Fours
NC State - 3 Final Fours
Virginia - 2 Final Fours
Georgia Tech - 2 Final Fours
Wake Forest - 1 Final Four
Notre Dame - 1 Final Four
FSU - 1 Final Four
Pittsburgh - 1 Final Four
Miami - 0
BC - 0
VT - 0
Clemson - 0

So even though the ACC has 1 more school than the SEC (15 to 14), the SEC has double the amount of schools who have never been to a Final Four (8 SEC schools have never been compared to only 4 ACC schools). Also, 7 ACC schools have been to multiple Final Fours while only 4 SEC schools have been to multiple Final Fours. 4 ACC schools have 6 or more Final Four appearances compared to only 2 (UK and Arkansas) for the SEC. To finish it off, UK is the only SEC school to have been to more than 10 Final Four appearances whereas the ACC has 3 schools with more than 10 Final Four appearances.

Going even further with some additional research, even if you include Elite Eight appearances it isn't close. Only 1 ACC team (Miami) has never made it to the Elite Eight, whereas 3 SEC teams (Ole Miss, South Carolina and Texas A&M) have never made it to the Elite Eight.

Even if you took Duke and UNC out of the ACC the ACC would have 6 National Titles (UofL - 3, NC State - 2, Syracuse - 1). Take UK out of the SEC and the SEC would only have 3 National Titles (Florida - 2, Arkansas - 1).

Once again in every metric the ACC beats the SEC in basketball and it's not even close.

Good post. Small caveat....17 of those Final Fours occurred by teams before they were in the ACC. Still the ACC far away exceeds the SEC in this stat.

Good post. Small caveat....17 of those Final Fours occurred by teams before they were in the ACC. Still the ACC far away exceeds the SEC in this stat.

The fact is those teams are now ACC teams and therefore it counts. Remember that you could say the same thing about Arkansas and the SEC, 4 of Arkansas 6 Final Fours were before they joined the SEC.

Remember that I'm not even counting the National Title and 2 Final Four appearances by Maryland, which occurred when they were in the ACC. I'm not counting them by the same standard, Maryland is a Big Ten team now and therefore it counts with the Big Ten.

That's a lot of words. Congrats on your typing skills. We all agree with you, the ACC is better than the SEC.

Are you just a two-post slappy late to the party, or do you have a point to make?

"Elite program," my a$$...

I can tell caution is advisable here...after all, we know what curiosity kills. My point, or lack thereof, is just wondering why a team you are so well versed about is one you would not want on your schedule. If UK irks you that much, wouldnt you want to thump them every chance you got?

(Does this count as a third post?)

Just to give you some of UK fans some education, the following SEC teams have never been to a Final Four, not even once:
Texas A&M
Ole Miss
Alabama
Auburn
Vanderbilt
South Carolina
Missouri
Tennessee

These SEC teams have only made the Final Four one time:
Georgia (1983)
Mississippi State (1996)

So just to recap, 10 of the 14 SEC teams have either never been to a Final Four or only been to the Final Four once. Arkansas hasn't been to a Final Four since 1995, leaving only UK, UF and LSU having been to a Final Four in the 21st Century.

And out of that LSU has only made it to the Final Four once this century. But please UK fans, try again to convince that the SEC is not a 2 team league when all the evidence points to that very fact.

Meanwhile in the ACC, here's a list of the amount of Final Fours by school:

UNC - 19 Final Fours
Duke - 16 Final Fours
UofL - 10 Final Fours
Syracuse - 6 Final Fours
NC State - 3 Final Fours
Virginia - 2 Final Fours
Georgia Tech - 2 Final Fours
Wake Forest - 1 Final Four
Notre Dame - 1 Final Four
FSU - 1 Final Four
Pittsburgh - 1 Final Four
Miami - 0
BC - 0
VT - 0
Clemson - 0

So even though the ACC has 1 more school than the SEC (15 to 14), the SEC has double the amount of schools who have never been to a Final Four (8 SEC schools have never been compared to only 4 ACC schools). Also, 7 ACC schools have been to multiple Final Fours while only 4 SEC schools have been to multiple Final Fours. 4 ACC schools have 6 or more Final Four appearances compared to only 2 (UK and Arkansas) for the SEC. To finish it off, UK is the only SEC school to have been to more than 10 Final Four appearances whereas the ACC has 3 schools with more than 10 Final Four appearances.

Going even further with some additional research, even if you include Elite Eight appearances it isn't close. Only 1 ACC team (Miami) has never made it to the Elite Eight, whereas 3 SEC teams (Ole Miss, South Carolina and Texas A&M) have never made it to the Elite Eight.

Even if you took Duke and UNC out of the ACC the ACC would have 6 National Titles (UofL - 3, NC State - 2, Syracuse - 1). Take UK out of the SEC and the SEC would only have 3 National Titles (Florida - 2, Arkansas - 1).

Once again in every metric the ACC beats the SEC in basketball and it's not even close.

I don't know of a school in the land that hangs a banner when conference foe makes a final four.

Other sec schools have no barring on our success except (according to some) hurting our eventual tournament chances by not preparing us for March.

I can tell caution is advisable here...after all, we know what curiosity kills. My point, or lack thereof, is just wondering why a team you are so well versed about is one you would not want on your schedule. If UK irks you that much, wouldnt you want to thump them every chance you got?

(Does this count as a third post?)
Sure does count...congrats!

If you are indeed late to the debate, there's a lotta ground to cover. I'll give it a shot in a few bullet points...
  • Unlike LPT, our basketball schedule is plenty strong enough without marquee OOC opponents. The ACC will soon be adding conference games in addition to the "challenge" series with the Big Ten.
  • Bailout Arena is in rough shape financially and U of L will be leaned on for more money. The football-basketball series cost U of L the equivalent of a home game annually, which costs $2-3 million.
  • Based on historical results, the basketball series has been a lose-lose for U of L. We win games when LPT is not that good and lose otherwise. So it usually doesn't help our SOS which is the only reason besides money to schedule OOC games. In football, there's no question it's lose-lose; LPT football has no respect as a football program. And the football rationale applies to other sports like baseball and women's basketball. LPT doesn't care about anything but men's basketball.
There are a couple other reasons, but those are the primary ones. The games with LPT have outlived their usefulness for U of L, and like other "rivalries" nationally, this one needs to die a peaceful death.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: JohnKBA
Sure does count...congrats!

If you are indeed late to the debate, there's a lotta ground to cover. I'll give it a shot in a few bullet points...
  • Unlike LPT, our basketball schedule is plenty strong enough without marquee OOC opponents. The ACC will soon be adding conference games in addition to the "challenge" series with the Big Ten.
  • Bailout Arena is in rough shape financially and U of L will be leaned on for more money. The football-basketball series cost U of L the equivalent of a home game annually, which costs $2-3 million.
  • Based on historical results, the basketball series has been a lose-lose for U of L. We win games when LPT is not that good and lose otherwise. So it usually doesn't help our SOS which is the only reason besides money to schedule OOC games. In football, there's no question it's lose-lose; LPT football has no respect as a football program. And the football rationale applies to other sports like baseball and women's basketball. LPT doesn't care about anything but men's basketball.
There are a couple other reasons, but those are the primary ones. The games with LPT have outlived their usefulness for U of L, and like other "rivalries" nationally, this one needs to die a peaceful death.

Hope this helps.

I wasn’t anticipating a debate but thanks for confirming my assumptions. Fortunately, I was able to keep up and now have a glimpse of what motivates you.

As for myself, I will continue to enjoy this rivalry from both the football and basketball vantage points. I consider UK/UL games in the same context as Duke/UNC, or Auburn/Alabama (football of course). Doesn’t matter to me what our respective schedules or records are…any day I can see UK hang an L on the Cardinals, it’s a memorable day.

Press on, my fellow sports fan.

I wasn’t anticipating a debate but thanks for confirming my assumptions. Fortunately, I was able to keep up and now have a glimpse of what motivates you.

As for myself, I will continue to enjoy this rivalry from both the football and basketball vantage points. I consider UK/UL games in the same context as Duke/UNC, or Auburn/Alabama (football of course). Doesn’t matter to me what our respective schedules or records are…any day I can see UK hang an L on the Cardinals, it’s a memorable day.

Press on, my fellow sports fan.
It doesn't have to be a debate if you don't wanna make a counterargument.

When I hear LPT fans like the series, it just reinforces my position.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT