ADVERTISEMENT

Tyra asking to interview Kenny Payne

Very true statement. This real question in all of the FBI/NCAA what are they going to do to limit corporation(s) from deciding who goes where.
cycle, I really don't think they are going to do a damned thing. They may superficially change a few rules just to make it look good, but I think at the end of the day, Nike is still going to run college recruiting and unfortunately we are going to be on the outside looking in just as we have been. We are missing a great opportunity to completely re-brand under the Nike banner which would open the recruiting doors for us and give us the same protection that UK, Duke, UNC and others get from the NCAA.

cycle, I really don't think they are going to do a damned thing. They may superficially change a few rules just to make it look good, but I think at the end of the day, Nike is still going to run college recruiting and unfortunately we are going to be on the outside looking in just as we have been. We are missing a great opportunity to completely re-brand under the Nike banner which would open the recruiting doors for us and give us the same protection that UK, Duke, UNC and others get from the NCAA.

but they don't uniform the women's underwater basket weaving team. for shame. shame!

I do find it interesting fans have all these opinions about how formers players shouldn't have a voice or run the program. They built this program by actually playing and winning games. Yes the fans financially built the program but that money doesn't roll in for losers.

I have no problem with anyone of them voicing their concern about the direction of the program. It isn't weak of Tyra to reach out to Payne. The former players have asked Payne to be considered, he is doing that. At least the two parties can have a good discussion on why he didn't select Payne.

you're being too logical for this board. foil wrapped around head needed here.

you should post over at cardchronicle if you don't already. much much better discussions with less silly emotional shit.

Reactions: PaintMeRed&Black
Haha. You too tired of hearing that crap while the fans got sacrificed with mediocre recruiting just so Pitino and Jurich could get big Adidas bucks.

they had more than addidas bucks. jurich and ramsey were caught hands in the cookie jar.

My knee jerk reaction is “NO”! But after a little reflection I believe it is very respectful to give an alumni of the school and program a chance to speak and be heard. Everybody knows (including himself) that getting this job is an extreme long shot. Not granting an interview would have been a disaster.

Reactions: TDredbird
My knee jerk reaction is “NO”! But after a little reflection I believe it is very respectful to give an alumni of the school and program a chance to speak and be heard. Everybody knows (including himself) that getting this job is an extreme long shot. Not granting an interview would have been a disaster.
Not granting an interview would also sent an appropriate message of if you want to join up with UK then we have no obligation to you and no longer recognize you as one of us.

Not granting an interview would also sent an appropriate message of if you want to join up with UK then we have no obligation to you and no longer recognize you as one of us.
Some folks can’t seem to get their head out of the UK ass. There’s more to life than worrying what’s happening down the road. I guarantee that there is no ex player for either teams that cares about what the other school is doing.

Last edited:
Some folks can’t seem to get their head out of the UK ass. There’s more to life than worrying what’s happening down the road. I guarantee that there is no ex player for either teams that cares about what the other school is doing With the exception of in state players.
We have a unique situation with UK. They did everything in their power to keep us as a small inconsequential program. No other state has a similar situation. They are still our enemy and would love to see us disappear. No one should ever forget that.

Reactions: CommodoreCard
they had more than addidas bucks. jurich and ramsey were caught hands in the cookie jar.
That’s at least 50% bullshit but, don’t let me stop you and the other revisionist haters in your Monday morning circle jerk.

Reactions: zipp
I do find it interesting fans have all these opinions about how formers players shouldn't have a voice or run the program. They built this program by actually playing and winning games. Yes the fans financially built the program but that money doesn't roll in for losers.

I have no problem with anyone of them voicing their concern about the direction of the program. It isn't weak of Tyra to reach out to Payne. The former players have asked Payne to be considered, he is doing that. At least the two parties can have a good discussion on why he didn't select Payne.
Do you find those fans opinions regarding former players not having input on the program any more interesting than your opinion that they should?

It’s only weak of Tyra to reach out to Payne as a hollow gesture meant to placate any group. If you’re not going to do something in a sincere manner - then you probably shouldn’t do it. In this case - that’s exactly what is taking place. As has been said multiple times - Payne is not qualified to be UofL’s next HC - just in the same way that Padgett is not. Scheduling interviews with candidates that have the requisite resume (based on ability and experience) - regardless of ethnicity - is what Tyra should be focused on. Given that - reaching out to Payne is a ridiculous and weak move by him.

Reactions: awf

But didn't you hire Pitino who had been the coach at Kentucky? He had zero ties to UL, only ties were to UK as a coach. Kenny Payne is a UL graduate, who has made his name at UK as an assistant.

I tend to agree nothing will change including Louisville switching to NIKE. We have seen Louisville compete for national titles under the Adidas brand. Is it easy, no, but what has ever been easy.

Hmmm. I wonder why two spokesmen for uk have told the media that no such request has been made to speak to Payne.

Reactions: BPGhost
We have a unique situation with UK. They did everything in their power to keep us as a small inconsequential program. No other state has a similar situation. They are still our enemy and would love to see us disappear. No one should ever forget that.
Valid point but why would you want to separate yourself from your own alumni. Louisville has had a ton of ex players that maintain basketball relationships in their own right. Don’t cut off your nose despite your face.

Last edited:

Wagner should have a voice??? The same guy who had every right to send his kid to Memphis, but once you do things change! The same Wagner that coached with Cow? Burned bridges. And he WAS one of my favorites. The fans are still here buying tickets, supporting and donating to the program, many of these players with all these opinions are long gone and living elsewhere.

Any past player supporting Payne is misinformed or speaking with their heart, or wanting a spot on his staff!

Wagner should have a voice??? The same guy who had every right to send his kid to Memphis, but once you do things change! The same Wagner that coached with Cow? Burned bridges. And he WAS one of my favorites. The fans are still here buying tickets, supporting and donating to the program, many of these players with all these opinions are long gone and living elsewhere.

Any past player supporting Payne is misinformed or speaking with their heart, or wanting a spot on his staff!
He is a key reason why Louisville was successful. Wade Houston took his son to UT should the administration not listen to him either? It is just silly to tell people that worked hard and brought this University great success to shut up.

If the University of Louisville is looking to "clean up" their image on Men's Basketball, why in the world would they want to hire someone who has been known as the "Bag Man" for Oregon and UK for the last 10+ years?

Seems fishy to me. Another move to divide the fanbase and trying to pave the way for the mythological NBA team to come to town?

I'm starting to believe more and more that Lexington and Frankfort are out to totally destroy the program. I hope those Archaeology Bowls are exciting.

Last edited:
Reactions: zipp
Valid point but why would you want to separate yourself from your own alumni. Louisville has had a ton of ex players that maintain basketball relationships in their own right. Don’t cut off your nose despite your face.
Because you really cannot trust someone connected to UK. I got sick of Pitino bringing his UK buddies into our program. I never trusted any of those guys. We can live without the Kenny Payne's of the world. He made his choice and now cannot expect to be treated with respect.

He is a key reason why Louisville was successful. Wade Houston took his son to UT should the administration not listen to him either? It is just silly to tell people that worked hard and brought this University great success to shut up.
Sounds like you are advocating for Eaves and Beard to keep up with subversive agenda. If so you are very ill informed.

If the University of Louisville is looking to "clean up" their image on Men's Basketball, why in the world would they want to hire someone who has been known as the "Bag Man" for Oregon and UK for the last 10+ years?

Seems fishy to me. Another move to divide the fanbase and trying to pave the way for the mythological NBA team to come to town?

I'm starting to believe more and more that Lexington and Frankfort are out to totally destroy the program. I hope those Archaeology Bowls are exciting.
I haven’t heard the “bag man” angle for KP before. Source?

I haven’t heard the “bag man” angle for KP before. Source?
Common sense and an understanding of history. History has proven that sweaty cal is at least smart enough to place himself in the position of plausible deniability.

1. "Camby never had that jewelry on when he was around me."
2. "I simply took Rose's word that he took his own SAT."
3. "It seems completely logical to me that Bledsoe could get an A in his online Algebra 3 class before he took Algebra 2."
4. "Didn't know anything about the 200K for Davis until I read it in the newspaper like everyone else."

And my all time favorite.

"How is it that I've signed so many 5 stars in the last 10 years? It's clearly the opportunity to learn the super successful offense that I ran during my stint as the NJ Nets coach - I mean, why else would they come?"

Common sense and an understanding of history. History has proven that sweaty cal is at least smart enough to place himself in the position of plausible deniability.

1. "Camby never had that jewelry on when he was around me."
2. "I simply took Rose's word that he took his own SAT."
3. "It seems completely logical to me that Bledsoe could get an A in his online Algebra 3 class before he took Algebra 2."
4. "Didn't know anything about the 200K for Davis until I read it in the newspaper like everyone else."

And my all time favorite.

"How is it that I've signed so many 5 stars in the last 10 years? It's clearly the opportunity to learn the super successful offense that I ran during my stint as the NJ Nets coach - I mean, why else would they come?"

So no proof? Give your administration more credit. I seriously doubt Any respectable institution would interview and known “bag man”.

I thought it was he shoe companies that serve as bag men nowadays.

So no proof? Give your administration more credit. I seriously doubt Any respectable institution would interview and known “bag man”.

I thought it was he shoe companies that serve as bag men nowadays.
That may not be proof on raftards but, it's proof here. Also, last time I checked - there was no confirmation that UofL was actually going to go thru with its sham interview of Payne.

Reactions: CommodoreCard
...maybe jurich would or wouldn't do it. i do know he didn't manage well and here we are in a heap of shit so i'll let VT make the calls on this. 2 elite 8's and 1 final four in 16 years? that's not an elite coach imo.
Jurich was the best in the biz. The "heap" you're in was put there in record time by the clown show that followed him.

And all of that postseason analysis is done in hindsight. It's not worth a lot BEFORE you have to make the decision.
you're being too logical for this board. foil wrapped around head needed here.

you should post over at cardchronicle if you don't already. much much better discussions with less silly emotional shit.
Funny stuff. I hope no one's forcing you to be here? ;)
One thing we do ask for here is evidence underlying half-baked opinions...

Last edited:
Reactions: earsky
Did someone appoint this guy fanbase gatekeeper?...

Last edited:
In this case tubby would be on top of the basketball mountain. You’re off base on this one.
I didn't say that race trumped everything. Tubby suffered from the same basketball illness as Crum...they lost interest in recruiting.

In Tubby's case, however, it didn't hamper his results as much. He's as successful as your current guy.

Decade%20of%20LPT%20Basketball%20-%20Schultz%202_zpswyzpohr0.jpg

The thing that scares me the most is I have no confidence in our AD making the right decisions. I agree if they ever hired KP with his lack of experience I would not only quit going to the games I wouldn't even watch them on TV.

Screw Jerry Eaves & Butch Beard as far as I am concerned they don't exist anymore. Zipp I have to disagree with you on the comment where you said black players want to play for a black coach. I read an article a couple of years ago that a survey taken found that wasn't true.

I didn't say that race trumped everything. Tubby suffered from the same basketball illness as Crum...they lost interest in recruiting.

In Tubby's case, however, it didn't hamper his results as much. He's as successful as your current guy.

Do you believe that a title is the ONLY measurment for success? That would be a great poll topic.

Do you believe that a title is the ONLY measurment for success? That would be a great poll topic.
I didn't say "only". It depends on the context. Hiring and firing?...No. Claims to "greatness" or "eliteness"?...Yes or mostly.

You get criticized for "choking" and "not being able to win the big one" otherwise. Can't have it both ways.

I personally think that NCAA tourney performance is overemphasized. But mine is the minority opinion. And LPT fans don't wanna start talking about body of work. Your guy now is barely ahead of Tubby on measures like double-digit loss seasons.

...Zipp I have to disagree with you on the comment where you said black players want to play for a black coach. I read an article a couple of years ago that a survey taken found that wasn't true.
I'd like to see that because I've long believed anecdotal evidence otherwise. In fact, I've even heard the occasional black kid or parent admit it.

BTW I have no problem with that attitude. I don't believe in the role of thought police...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT