ADVERTISEMENT

Tyra asking to interview Kenny Payne

Chapman123

800+
Jan 20, 2018
Louisville
Per Bobble head Bozich...I will literally turn in my Cardinal fan hood and will not step foot in the Yum center ever again if Kenny freaking Payne is hired.

It's just to appease former players who want him to get an interview and to interview a minority. No chance.

I will say this about Jurich...he never would have caved into this crap. Nobody could have bullied him into interviewing a minority candidate just to appease writers and formers players.
He would have targeted the man he wanted white/black, and got it done and moved onto the next one if it didn't work.

If KP wanted to be a HC, why isn't he? He's been with Cow a long time.

He doesn't want to be a HC apparently.

To interview him now, and NOT hire, him just proves it's lip service.

I see this as a wise move by the administration to make sure to be PC in this hiring process. The last thing the university needs is to create another "issue", whether valid or not, this time being accused of discriminatory hiring practices. And we all know there would be backlash if a minority was not considered from the pro-Payne group. This is just being smart and thorough to me.

I see this as a wise move by the administration to make sure to be PC in this hiring process. The last thing the university needs is to create another "issue", whether valid or not, this time being accused of discriminatory hiring practices. And we all know there would be backlash if a minority was not considered from the pro-Payne group. This is just being smart and thorough to me.
Not a good move...A traitor interviewing a traitor. KP has NO business getting an interview from ANY upper half P5 school period. There are far better black candidates that you could interview to appease the crybabies. Zipp is right, Jurich wouldn't stoop to this crap. Puppet tyra SMH.

The problem is - Helen Keller could see that this is simply a PC move by the administration. How do you think the pro-Payne group will react to being insincerely placated? I for one would rather be told to eff off than have someone act like they give a shit what I have to say when they don’t. At least being told to eff off is honest.

The problem is - Helen Keller could see that this is simply a PC move by the administration. How do you think the pro-Payne group will react to being insincerely placated? I for one would rather be told to eff off than have someone act like they give a shit what I have to say when they don’t. At least being told to eff off is honest.
Plausible deniability. ;)

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
There are a lot of way more qualified African American candidates than Kenny Payne. It is ludicrous to think he could be the head coach at UofL at this point. Silly move by Tyra in my opinion. Interview candidates that are qualified.

Reactions: wilkie01 and zipp
The problem is - Helen Keller could see that this is simply a PC move by the administration...
That's the point... I support the PC side of being a good AD. But this is transparent. Really just looks weak on Tyra's part...

Reactions: BPGhost
Charlie Strong said he got used the token interview. If we do that, simply for show, I'd say that's racist vs saying "sorry, you are not experienced enough".

A token interview vs honesty. But, I'm sure Eaves and Company wouldn't see it that way.

Reactions: CardsFirst

Okay interview Keats of Shaka Smart or any other minority that has head coaching experience and not tied to Calipari and SuCk.

From my vantage point on the sidelines, it's ironic that this issue is raised in a sport dominated by AA players. If I was AD, I'd want a good AA coach simply because of the recruiting advantage that carries with it. Many black kids wanna play for a black coach.

If the sport was devoid of AA players like college baseball, the question might be more legitimate...

From my vantage point on the sidelines, it's ironic that this issue is raised in a sport dominated by AA players. If I was AD, I'd want a good AA coach simply because of the recruiting advantage that carries with it. Many black kids wanna play for a black coach.

If the sport was devoid of AA players like college baseball, the question might be more legitimate...
How many "AA" coaches have top 5 recruiting classes since you think blacks want to play for a black coach?

Reactions: KingHenry_X

It’s not a recruiting advantage. The head coaches simply get minority assistants to recruit and evidently that’s enough for the minority kids & their parents. If you had to have a minority head coach to get kids then Cow & K wouldn’t be kicking ass on the recruiting trail, it would be Shaka, Menzies, Tubby, Kent, Leonard Hamilton, etc.

Avery Johnson may be the top AA coach. Has done a nice job at Bama his first college job I think. He'd potentially warrant a legit interview. Won a title as a player in the NBA I think.

Yeah this isn’t true but you have a right to your opinion. It seems the best players want to play for old white guys. There is no recruiting advantage of which you speak.

I've said it before but it's worth repeating. I am a UofL fan. IDC who the coach is of any of the sports at UofL. Wouldn't want to see Payne as the coach, but that wouldn't stop me from supporting the basketball team if he were named as head coach. I would hold my nose and keep my fandom in place just like I did when Rick Pitino was named head coach.

I keep telling you if you want to recruit like a Nike school then become a Nike school.
Very true statement. This real question in all of the FBI/NCAA what are they going to do to limit corporation(s) from deciding who goes where. The TV folks have an invested interest in where kids go to. All you have to do is look at the SEC. All the coach has to do is be a blue blood program or ESPN partner the outside parties are going to push players to that coach.

This whole makes it impossible to evaluate an Assistant coach as a recruiters. He doesn't have to bust his butt to find recruits, all KY has to do is figure out what they need.

You can only interview people that are interested in the job. The names brought up may not be interested due to other factors. Smart has a huge buyout which Louisville isn't going to mess with. Keats isn't interested. Payne maybe interested. It doesn't hurt and Tyra gets a chance to sit down with him.

probably not the worst thing. keep good with the former players and all.

maybe jurich would or wouldn't do it. i do know he didn't manage well and here we are in a heap of shit so i'll let VT make the calls on this. 2 elite 8's and 1 final four in 16 years? that's not an elite coach imo.

I do find it interesting fans have all these opinions about how formers players shouldn't have a voice or run the program. They built this program by actually playing and winning games. Yes the fans financially built the program but that money doesn't roll in for losers.

I have no problem with anyone of them voicing their concern about the direction of the program. It isn't weak of Tyra to reach out to Payne. The former players have asked Payne to be considered, he is doing that. At least the two parties can have a good discussion on why he didn't select Payne.

Reactions: PaintMeRed&Black
Tyra weak...
Hey man! Miss seeing you over on the Nat'l board rattling cages. Your time over there was brief, but always entertaining. I'm always up for a stir up over there. Come visit again soon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT