ADVERTISEMENT

The SEC is embarrasing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was referring to the region.

Look at Georgia for example. No excuse that they should suck year after year when you have such talent inside that state.

I also realize that we (Kentucky) end up with a lot of the high
Profile kids in the region but dang you would think eventually you could keep some home. Alabama has a good class coming in maybe they will turn the page
Absolutely no reason for UGA to be this bad for so long. I single them out as far as being the biggest underachiever in the conference. IMO the problem for them and many others are football-centric ADs that hire former players who are not up to the job, or semi-big names who are looking for some of that SEC FB money and then firing them when they don't compete within 3 years. Mark Gottfried and Rick Barnes are two prime examples. Mark was a fine mid-major coach, but couldn't cut it at Bama and only did well at NC State as long as he had Bobby Lutz with him on the bench. Anthony Grant should have done better, but didn't.

I agree that there is a load of talent in the region, but someone has to attract that talent to campus and then, more importantly, be able to develop that talent once they are there. That failing I lay at the feet of numerous coaches in the league and the ADs who hired them. Kids with a high level of talent know who can develop them and those who can't.

Guys, I miss the days of Joe B. knocking heads in conference with a Dale Brown, Ray Mears, CM Newton, Wimp or Sonny Smith. I named 5 coaches in a then 10 team league. The league has expanded, but the level of coaching has gone down hill.

Last edited:
Absolutely no reason for UGA to be this bad for so long. I single them out as far as being the biggest underachiever in the conference. IMO the problem for them and many others are football-centric ADs that hire former players who are not up to the job, or semi-big names who are looking for some of that SEC FB money and then firing them when they don't compete within 3 years. Mark Gottfried and Rick Barnes are two prime examples. Mark was a fine mid-major coach, but couldn't cut it at Bama and only did well at NC State as long as he had Bobby Lutz with him on the bench. Anthony Grant should have done better, but didn't.

I agree that there is a load of talent in the region, but someone has to attract that talent to campus and then, more importantly, be able to develop that talent once they are there. That failing I lay at the feet of numerous coaches in the league and the ADs who hired them. Kids with a high level of talent know who can develop them and those who can't.

Guys, I miss the days of Joe B. knocking heads in conference with a Dale Brown, Ray Mears, CM Newton, Wimp or Sonny Smith. I named 5 coaches in a then 10 team league. The league has expanded, but the level of coaching has gone down hill.

I agree about Georgia and really think Mark Fox is a good coach - but they haven't had enough talent to really compete over the last few years. He's not a good enough recruiter IMO.

I think the team that Kevin Stallings left behind beat Florida three times this year. Sure the game is about matchups, and Vandy may not be a good one for the Gators. But no self-respecting team loses three straight times to someone the quality of freaking Vandy. Just when you think the SEC can't outdo itself, it does.

LPT fans aren't touting the quality of the SEC, that's true. However, there's no question they tout the results of playing in the SEC. Their "all time wins" and hyperinflated won-loss records like 40-0 are the result simply of a joke schedule. And two-thirds of that schedule are SEC games. They also like bragging about "conference championships" in some generic sense like it's equivalent to an ACC or BEast championship. Obviously that's just as big a joke.

So no, you won't hear them drumming "SEC, SEC, SEC..." this time of year. But just about everything else they crow about is closely related.

"Elite program," my a$$...
UK vs the mighty ACC. And this doesn't include the 34 wins over Louisville.
Screenshot_20170209-2017392_zpsnsse77n1.png

Reactions: Deli owl
The game was once played with peach baskets too. I find out all of this stuff visiting a museum.

That's a bit facile zipp. UK has realized a benefit playing in the SEC, no doubt. But they win consistently at a very high rate vs every other conference too. I'll be in Louisville tomorrow afternoon/evening at Silver Dollar/Haymarket. Anyone want to have a dram on me?

Reactions: awf
That's a bit facile zipp. UK has realized a benefit playing in the SEC, no doubt. But they win consistently at a very high rate vs every other conference too. I'll be in Louisville tomorrow afternoon/evening at Silver Dollar/Haymarket. Anyone want to have a dram on me?
The subject is conferences, not how a team does against other conferences. And if I want to use the poor guy's historical data, that looks like about a 12-6 record for a typical conference season against ACC teams...which would have tied with Louisville, FSU, and ND for 2nd place. And deserving of 2, 3, or 5 seeds, respectively.

That would be an expected season for LPT in a better conference--not 18-0 or 17-1 against watered down competition. It does look like your team got about the draw it should have, a seed on the high end, but competition in your bracket on par with a slightly lower seed.

Maybe the NCAA's getting this stuff figured out.

Appreciate the offer, but I have an evening commitment already. Are you an out-of-towner?...

Reactions: JohnKBA
The subject is conferences, not how a team does against other conferences. And if I want to use the poor guy's historical data, that looks like about a 12-6 record for a typical conference season against ACC teams...which would have tied with Louisville, FSU, and ND for 2nd place. And deserving of 2, 3, or 5 seeds, respectively.

That would be an expected season for LPT in a better conference--not 18-0 or 17-1 against watered down competition. It does look like your team got about the draw it should have, a seed on the high end, but competition in your bracket on par with a slightly lower seed.

Maybe the NCAA's getting this stuff figured out.

Appreciate the offer, but I have an evening commitment already. Are you an out-of-towner?...

I live in Lexington but as a collector/buyer/trader of bourbon, I spend a lot of time at distilleries. Doing a barrel pick at 4 Roses tomorrow then headed to Louisville to wreak havoc.

Well my personal bourbon supply is always stocked, so we share a mutual interest. Hope someone here takes you up on your offer. If my evening opens up, I know where you plan to be...

That's 70-49 against everyone except GT, whom was in the SEC when probably 90% of those games were played.

70-49

To use a uk FB analogy:

When the $EC loses a big OOC FB game they argue "we beat ourselves up in conference".

When UL wins a big OOC game you say "if you played our schedule you wouldn't be fresh for this one game"

So, using the uk thought process, it's easy for uk BB to get "up" for the very few "tough" games they do play. When the opponent is "beat up" from conference play.

;):rolleyes::)

Its a message board and he is being respectful.
He also has a right to post his opinion. Im cool with seeing opinions of opposing fans.

You are one of the few respectful posters here. They call someone a nasty name because they are from another board? Pretty stupid. I have been banned from this page for absolutely nothing.......I very seldom post but read post every day.

now dont go throwing facts into the discussion on the louisville board with the sunshine pumpers here. Pitino is god to these folks and can do no wrong. pitino craps peppermints and folks here stand in line to eat them.
Now that deserves a triple like!! Game Set Match

Reactions: awf
You are one of the few respectful posters here. They call someone a nasty name because they are from another board? Pretty stupid. I have been banned from this page for absolutely nothing.......I very seldom post but read post every day.

Nope. You were issued a 1 week timeout because you were given a warning to stop your trolling posts, then you posted the following in the thread congratulating Pitino on his 400th UofL win.

How many games does he lose off of his record when the NCAA decides it time to pay the piper?

Its one thing to have your super bowl with teams like this once or twice a year, its another to play these games night in and night out. Get down to some of these teams by 15 like you do to your pathetic SEC brothers and it will be night night little pussy cats. Where is Notre dame and Syracuse..and Maryland is Big 10, little guy.

Reactions: zipp
Its one thing to have your super bowl with teams like this once or twice a year, its another to play these games night in and night out. Get down to some of these teams by 15 like you do to your pathetic SEC brothers and it will be night night little pussy cats. Where is Notre dame and Syracuse..and Maryland is Big 10, little guy.
Good thing it's march and we have maybe the toughest possible road to the trophy. Time to put up or shut up.

Reactions: awf and zipp
Good thing it's march and we have maybe the toughest possible road to the trophy. Time to put up or shut up.

Man, you look at these for the top seeds and realize that after the first game, nothing is easy. I look at UK's path and think man, Wichita/UCLA/UNC, then step back and realize it could just as easily be Dayton, Cincinnati, Butler. No guarantees.

UKs road is no "harder" than anyone else's. It's just that it's always a shock to the fanbase (and coaches for that matter) because now the teams that lie ahead are so much better than the conference foes that UK has been beating up on.

When your recent opponents were Miss St. followed by the Auburn/Alabama gauntlet with a little Tex AM thrown in as "the tough road game", of course it's going to appear your next 6 games are super difficult starting with a mid major Dayton/Wichita St. winner (which is about what ever tourney team looks at second round). Then a couple if top 12 teams waiting in the Regionals really send them over the edge. Sorry, there's no Arkansas waiting as the final step in the coronation.

I don't know if the lightweight conference helps or hurts because UK has superior talent and will be a tough out for anyone regardless of how weak the SEC is, but man that schedule softens the expectations so much that they all freak out when they enter a real post season bracket with no gimmies.

Reactions: zipp
UKs road is no "harder" than anyone else's. It's just that it's always a shock to the fanbase (and coaches for that matter) because now the teams that lie ahead are so much better than the conference foes that UK has been beating up on.

When your recent opponents were Miss St. followed by the Auburn/Alabama gauntlet with a little Tex AM thrown in as "the tough road game", of course it's going to appear your next 6 games are super difficult starting with a mid major Dayton/Wichita St. winner (which is about what ever tourney team looks at second round). Then a couple if top 12 teams waiting in the Regionals really send them over the edge. Sorry, there's no Arkansas waiting as the final step in the coronation.

I don't know if the lightweight conference helps or hurts because UK has superior talent and will be a tough out for anyone regardless of how weak the SEC is, but man that schedule softens the expectations so much that they all freak out when they enter a real post season bracket with no gimmies.

There are no gimmies for anyone, with the exception of the 1 and 2 seeds in the first round. After that, any team can lose any game to any other team IMO. Every road is tough.

beas has unfortunately worn out his welcome here with just about everyone. It's more a personal reaction from him seeking refuge on an LPT site. I'm glad I'm not him...

Same thing happened to me, I got destroyed over there last year for being "too nice" on this board. Gotta love keyboard warriors.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
Same thing happened to me, I got destroyed over there last year for being "too nice" on this board. Gotta love keyboard warriors.
Hearing that, I'm sorry I can't be as congenial as I should be. It's that schtick of mine as you know, but fortunately you're able to see through it.

This beas guy is a hoot. I've got this mental image, and I'm curious if it's half true. I will say if this is a swap, we sure as hell got the better end of it.

:cool:

Were you on your board bashing Calipari and singling out players? That's what he does here and on the rivals board. He does get the likes from the uk fans.

No, not at all. I don't post much over there, but got called out for having civil convos with you guys - I think it primarily focused around zipp/Cue/Senore, all of him I generally get along with.

No, not at all. I don't post much over there, but got called out for having civil convos with you guys - I think it primarily focused around zipp/Cue/Senore, all of him I generally get along with.
I wouldn't have a problem with him posting on your board, if he were a little more pro Louisville. They probably lap him up and make him feel good, then laugh their a$$'s off behind his back.

Reactions: shadow force

You act like we don't play anyone. That would be a false assumption. Our conference schedule isn't where it needs to be but that's not our fault. We have plenty of marquee games in the early part of the year when it's actual under our control who we can play.

My only complaint with the seeding is Wichita being our 10 but like John said it could easily be Dayton that we play.

That's why he posts stupid shi* over here, he is more like your fans than ours.

beas has unfortunately worn out his welcome here with just about everyone. It's more a personal reaction from him seeking refuge on an LPT site. I'm glad I'm not him...

It's either sunshine or doom and gloom on RR. The extremes on both sides are easy to get riled up. I throw them a bone every now and again and back off to see how they react.

You act like we don't play anyone. That would be a false assumption. Our conference schedule isn't where it needs to be but that's not our fault. We have plenty of marquee games in the early part of the year when it's actual under our control who we can play...
Yeah, but there's a little mythology in there... You don't exactly play a murderer's row in the preseason--no more so this year than a school like Louisville. In addition to Carolina, Louisville, Kansas, and UCLA, your team played SFA, Canisius, Duquesne, Cleveland State, UT-Martin, Arizona State, Valpo, and Hofstra.

That's 8 of 13 OOC games. And room for plenty more good opponents. THAT is entirely within your control and a great opportunity when the other two-thirds of your schedule is pretty soft.

Reactions: Mayoman
He posts occasionally on RR and contributes to the convo. He is much more welcome over there (from what I've seen) than I have been over here.
His main "contributions" are bashing pitino, Mathiang and Adel. Oh, and liking replies to his posts regardless of how negative they are towards UofL.

He's basically auditioning to be the raftards board monkey.

Reactions: shadow force
Yeah, but there's a little mythology in there... You don't exactly play a murderer's row in the preseason--no more so this year than a school like Louisville. In addition to Carolina, Louisville, Kansas, and UCLA, your team played SFA, Canisius, Duquesne, Cleveland State, UT-Martin, Arizona State, Valpo, and Hofstra.

That's 8 of 13 OOC games. And room for plenty more good opponents. THAT is entirely within your control and a great opportunity when the other two-thirds of your schedule is pretty soft.

There's not a school in the country that doesn't play cupcakes Regardless of what conference they are in. I wish we could have a marquee opponent every game but that's not how it works.

UofK is impressive because cal allows his players to play and not look at the bench every play like louisville players do.
Beas, this is not as true as you think. I get you're angry at how UL is being coached, but most coaches want these kids to go through the process over a 3 or 4 year period and that's Pitino's model (as well as most other coaches).

At UK, those kids make the same mistakes VJ is making and they get yanked out of the game immediately and get reemed as they're walking to the bench and while they are on the bench. They end up going back into the game, but all these freshmen go through these growing pains throughout the season and, as a coach and a fan, all you can do is hope that they get it before the tournament starts.

Pitino doesn't want to do that, his players don't have the stars next to their names, but they are legit and they are veterans.

It's best not to compare the two systems honestly and I know this won't be a popular statement on this board, but coaching freshman, regardless of talent, is much tougher than coaching juniors and seniors and I don't think that's even up for debate. These ids were playing hs ball last year, heck, even college seniors don't have it all figured out yet sometimes. This game is hard.

But don't get it wrong, both coaches yank players out of the game after just one mistake, it's all part of it.

There's not a school in the country that doesn't play cupcakes Regardless of what conference they are in...
Yeah, but you guys and the Zags are pretty unique...

You value basketball and wanna be a high seed, but 90% of your schedule is not a big challenge. Along with another SEC team (Florida), you're the only top four seeds not from one of the other P5 conferences or the BEast. Those other conferences provide their members with fair-to-good conference schedules.

So you can't measure yourselves simply by what other schools do. You have to go beyond what other schools do OOC to get some measure of respect. When you can piece Canisius and Duquesne around Michigan State, it lets you focus more on one of those teams (AKA Super Bowl).

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT