ADVERTISEMENT

The MYTH that UK is "closer" to U of L after last year's game

Either that or it could have something to do with Stoops recruiting Ohio hard, where he has strong ties and is very much respected. It also probably helped having Brown and Marrow on staff, two guys Rivals ranked in the top 50 recruiters in the nation.

That job just got a lot more difficult with Harbaugh at Michigan and the continued success of Dantonio at Michigan State....also Narduzzi at Pitt is going to be a MAJOR factor in Ohio.

That job just got a lot more difficult with Harbaugh at Michigan and the continued success of Dantonio at Michigan State....also Narduzzi at Pitt is going to be a MAJOR factor in Ohio.

As long as there is on the field progress I'm not worried about recruiting. OSU, ND, and Michigan have already been pretty much been getting their picks of recruits from Ohio. Though, JH at Michigan has actually been kind of underwhelming in recruiting so far. UK has already gone against MSU head to head several times and held their own.

One thing that the last recruiting cycle taught me is that this UK staff will have all their bases covered in recruiting. They lost like eight commits in the final couple of weeks before NSD and were still able to put together a class that finished in the mid 30s.

What "on field progress"? Not seeing it. Help a brother out here. Seems you're hanging your hat on a couple of your typical moral victories and a tshirt inspiring win over .500 South Carolina. We've seen this same song and dance over and over and over again.

Last edited:
Reactions: im2fast4u06
As long as there is on the field progress I'm not worried about recruiting. OSU, ND, and Michigan have already been pretty much been getting their picks of recruits from Ohio. Though, JH at Michigan has actually been kind of underwhelming in recruiting so far. UK has already gone against MSU head to head several times and held their own.

One thing that the last recruiting cycle taught me is that this UK staff will have all their bases covered in recruiting. They lost like eight commits in the final couple of weeks before NSD and were still able to put together a class that finished in the mid 30s.

The issue with Michigan State and really the B1G is it looks like they are rising and it is going to be harder as long as they-(Michigan State) continues to win New Year Six Bowl Games in attracting players.

Michigan according to the Composite Ratings is Top 20 with 10 Commitments...don't fool yourself if you don't think it is not going to go higher...Dude is a Winner...made Stanford into a National Power, Recruited and Developed Andrew Luck and a NFL Coach that Coached in the Super Bowl...that is hard to go against and the fact that Michigan is the Winningest College Football Program of All Time and playing in front of 100K at home...also just a word of warning watch Pitt.

Last edited:
I assume that "progress" equals building on a six-game losing streak.

LPT Football: Setting records we'd rather not have...

I'm sorry, but LOLOLOLOL. Pitt and their barbell-mustached fans aren't going to be relevant anything soon. I think they've won 9 games once since the 1980's.

Narduzzi is a hellva Talent Evaluator and Recruiter....we don't Recruit against them but have a hunch Kentucky will be

This isn't meant to be a flame or baiting post because that UL team was still a lot better than we were but no team from a non-power 5 conference deserves a title shot ever in my opinion. I've never been a fan of rewarding a perfect run through a bad schedule with the game's biggest prize. I thought the Orange bowl was the right reward for that team win or lose vs Rutgers. Now if he can pull off an 11-1 season in the ACC UL deserves to be in the playoff

The Big East was very good that year. Louisville, Rutgers (who had Ray Rice), and WVU were all excellent. Cincinnati had Brian Kelly at the helm and they were ranked. It sounds funny now, but South Florida was also ranked. WVU and UL were both Top 5. The Big East was better than the ACC that year. In fact, wasn't this the year that the BE went undefeated in bowl games?

So I disagree with you, my blue friend, on your comment about the Orange Bowl for Louisville win or lose against Rutgers. A 12-0 season with that schedule is certainly worthy and 11-1 has an argument (depending on what else was going on - which I'm not going to look up 9 years later).

People don't like to talk about it now, but BE members used to point and laugh at the ACC back then. The BE was better top to bottom.

Last edited:
Reactions: American Male
Actually Cincinnati had Mark Dantonio

Actually we are both right; that was the year that Kelly coached two bowl games, one for CMU and one for UC. He owns a cool trivia question: He is the only coach to have beaten the same team in the same yearwith two different teams (beating WMU at CMU during the season and beating WMU again at UC in UC's bowl game).

Wow....forgot about that...you have to give Cincinnati AD some props...he got two Outstanding Football Coaches Back to Back

Wow....forgot about that...you have to give Cincinnati AD some props...he got two Outstanding Football Coaches Back to Back

You could say four straight outstanding to solid hires if you add Butch Jones and Tommy Tuberville. They are now handicapped by the AAC but if they could get in a P5 (which I think will happen eventually) they could be a force. We could then replace the Cayuts with a program that cares about football, which UC clearly does and is trying. Beating UC out of the B12 would mean a lot more for our SoS than beating the Cayuts, where CFP committees would say "Louisville went 12-0, won the ACC, and beat an SEC UK OOC, but it's only UK."

You could say four straight outstanding to solid hires if you add Butch Jones and Tommy Tuberville. They are now handicapped by the AAC but if they could get in a P5 (which I think will happen eventually) they could be a force. We could then replace the Cayuts with a program that cares about football, which UC clearly does and is trying. Beating UC out of the B12 would mean a lot more for our SoS than beating the Cayuts, where CFP committees would say "Louisville went 12-0, won the ACC, and beat an SEC UK OOC, but it's only UK."

Yeah ... all that is true. However - the ACC is vested in beating the SEC, and wants those intra-conference, inter-state matchups to continue.

I would love to add Cincy back to the schedule though, and it only gets better with Big XII inclusion. No offense to Houston, but if we're gonna play an AAC school, it should be Cincy.

Reactions: atiba
Yes, let's not bring any constructive dialogue to an LPT bashing thread.

(And I deserve at least five "likes" for trying to restore order to the universe!)

:)

Yes, let's not bring any constructive dialogue to an LPT bashing thread.

(And I deserve at least five "likes" for trying to restore order to the universe!)

:)

Shilling for likes! That's a penalty - and feels like something your avatar would do.

Stoops also recruited and developed the best defensive backfield in the country at Miami, from 2001-2003. His bio on the UK Athletics website brags that he recruited Antrell Rolle and Sean Taylor, who are two of the guys Nevin Shapiro claims to have secured for the Canes, some five years before Clint Hurtt became a coach there. Hmmmm. Makes you wonder about Kentucky's new found recruiting success...

That one psycho (as if there is only one) poster on the Kentucky site should be spinning in circles from this gem. All is does is talk about Clint Hurtt and his association with Shapiro.

You can't be reasoned with. There is no way you actually believe some of the stuff you post. Lumping thousands of 3 star players into one category as if a near four star is the same as a near 2 star. Talking smack about lowly 5.8 four stars like they're chumps for being the lowest of the four stars. You'll say anything just to disagree with a UK fan even if it's the most asinine thing ever. No one that's being honest with themselves could even try to argue that Joker recruited in the same stratosphere as Stoops does with a straight face. Stoops had two commits go dominate the Rivals 5 star challenge. The event only invites 100 players and some of them are 2017 guys. One of them has been committed for 2 years and did so before he had a Rivals profile. Now he's a top 150 player with offers from Bama/FSU and poised for another jump in the rankings. Our weak 3 star corner Tobias Gilliam tested out in the 99th percentile of the Nike SPARQ combine and is getting calls from OSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, Nebraska, and others. Stoops indentified them long before there was any reason to know who they were. Coaches and recruiting analysts alike know that our staff has an eye for talent. Petrino follows Justin Rowland on Twitter look it up. Justin accidentally tweeted an old Twitter handle for a player Stoops offered and Petrino followed the Twitter account no longer in use because he keeps tabs on what our staff is doing. Why would he care if he didn't think it would be beneficial to do so?

According to his profile, he does not have an offer from Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State or Alabama. If they do not offer, his list does not look so good. If they offer, he will be gone to one of them just like the guys last year.

Last edited:
"Offers" are fun to look at. But they can't be quantified or verified, making them almost useless to try to build into an objective ranking, analysis, or debate.

But since when was that a consideration of LPT fans?

LPT Football: Objectively nowhere...

"Offers" are fun to look at. But they can't be quantified or verified, making them almost useless to try to build into an objective ranking, analysis, or debate.

Rowland usually updates the offer list for our recruits. He does a good job of verifying offers through sources close to or part of the staff before they're added. Rivals in general is much better at verifying offer lists than other sites in my experience. That doesn't mean they're perfect

Young and Jackson could throw a dart at a map and pick any school in the country. If conversely was referring to Gilliam his SPARQ results just got posted last week so the interest with some of those schools (OSU, Michigan) is new. He's been at the top of Michigan State's board for a little while though. With the exception of losing the Dowell twins late to the Spartans last year we've owned them head to head in recruiting. We finished well against Harbaugh late too but I understand he didn't have much time to operate

Nah, offers can be verified through various methods. It just takes research to find out what kind of offer has been made.

In today's football recruiting world an offer can be an ambiguous thing. Many staffs "offer" a guy just to get him to camp and workout on campus. Those are non commitable offers. Others receive offers for grey or blue shirts. And these offers can be fluid, changing from one to another.

For example Boom Williams was "committed" to UGA for a while, until they got in on some other high end RBs. Then, his offer was no longer commitable. That's how he became a UK Wildcat.

I agree that one should always view a player's offer lists with skeptism, but you can usually find out what offers are true offers if you dig enough.

Rather than debate the nuances of an "offer", LPT fans would be well served to wait for results to actually appear. Then, start micro-analyzing "offers" to gauge what the future holds.

LPT's future is now. This season. Your coach doesn't start showing what he can accomplish ON the field, he won't be around when these young recruits are out there trying to prove themselves. (In that event, they probably won't be around either...) Time to put up or shut up with the guys you have, and not limp to the finish line on a six-game losing streak. The guys who came before Stupes could accomplish that much.

LPT Football: And this kid in the 2018 class really like Stupes...

Rather than debate the nuances of an "offer", LPT fans would be well served to wait for results to actually appear. Then, start micro-analyzing "offers" to gauge what the future holds.

LPT's future is now. This season. Your coach doesn't start showing what he can accomplish ON the field, he won't be around when these young recruits are out there trying to prove themselves. (In that event, they probably won't be around either...) Time to put up or shut up with the guys you have, and not limp to the finish line on a six-game losing streak. The guys who came before Stupes could accomplish that much.

LPT Football: And this kid in the 2018 class really like Stupes...

Stoops has to show more on the field success. In the end, games are won THERE on the field. Not in some subjective class ranking for recruiting. It doesn't matter if the kids are measured as 1 star or 5 stars if he doesn't win football games. The current 6 game losing streak doesn't support any type of improvement ON the field which means Stoops is on the hot seat to produce this year so I agree with zipp. Stoops is 7-17 in 2 seasons. 2-10 in his first year, and a promising start at 5-1 ended up 5-7 and a 6 game losing streak. That is not improving. That is digressing as the season unfolds. UK didn't get better from game to game. They got worse.

Reactions: Mayoman
I'll repeat it again, UK is unbeatable during the off season. The joke about "bigger,stronger,faster) never fails during the summer in blue land.

Committable vs non-committable offers are always a way to explain a player going somewhere else to a rival. It's on par with "we backed off", "we didn't really want him", and "we signed a better player at his position" defenses. Nobody (including Rowland) knows what is actually said in the recruiting game, except the player and the coach.

Committable vs non-committable offers are always a way to explain a player going somewhere else to a rival. It's on par with "we backed off", "we didn't really want him", and "we signed a better player at his position" defenses. Nobody (including Rowland) knows what is actually said in the recruiting game, except the player and the coach.
Yeah, I've never understood a "non-committable" offer. That's... not an offer. It's like if I ask you if you want a sandwich, though you're not allowed to say "yes" just quite yet. o_O

It is used as an excuse by fans, but non commitable offers are a very real thing. I think it's a shady practice, but it's a very real thing. There are tons of stories, including stories with quotes from coaches and recruits, found through Google about it.

It is used as an excuse by fans, but non commitable offers are a very real thing. I think it's a shady practice, but it's a very real thing. There are tons of stories, including stories with quotes from coaches and recruits, found through Google about it.

Yeah, I'm not debating the existence of non-committable offers. I'm just saying no coach/recruiter is going to confirm to anybody, other than the recruit himself, whether the offer is or isn't immediately committable. That would not be good info to share. It would let the recruit and other potential recruits know that program extends offers that can be "fluid", if a better recruit becomes available. I would not think it would be a good reputation to have.

That would be Jaulk. What an obsessed a-hole that guy is.

jaulk is obviously mentally ill. I'm not joking. You could ask him if the sun is shining and his answer would be about Hurtt, recruiting rankings (he loves to discuss star ratings down to the1/100th), etc. Reminds me of Rainman.

I'll repeat it again, UK is unbeatable during the off season. The joke about "bigger,stronger,faster) never fails during the summer in blue land.
You now have to throw in Top Nutrition as well. These guys act like nobody else does these same things.

You now have to throw in Top Nutrition as well. These guys act like nobody else does these same things.

True...I actually like the talent on the Offensive Side of the Ball for Kentucky but Stoops for leaves a lot to be desired...we have the HUGE Edge on the Sidelines with Petrino.

Stoops has to show more on the field success. In the end, games are won THERE on the field. Not in some subjective class ranking for recruiting. It doesn't matter if the kids are measured as 1 star or 5 stars if he doesn't win football games. The current 6 game losing streak doesn't support any type of improvement ON the field which means Stoops is on the hot seat to produce this year so I agree with zipp. Stoops is 7-17 in 2 seasons. 2-10 in his first year, and a promising start at 5-1 ended up 5-7 and a 6 game losing streak. That is not improving. That is digressing as the season unfolds. UK didn't get better from game to game. They got worse.

The over/under for UK last year was 4 and Stoops won 5. More than doubled his win total from a year before. I'm not saying it was an awesome season but reasonable people saw it coming. 5 of the last 6 games were against top 25 teams. If our schedule were flipped people would be commending Stoops for a job well done. He's not on the hot seat he just got a raise. Stoops will be judged after his fourth season although he does need to make a bowl this year for recruiting and he knows that

"Make a bowl" huh? You clowns sure set a high bar. With over 80 teams "making bowls" it's harder to not make one than to make one. Are you really gonna be all that heeled with 6-6 and a matchup with another 6-6 team in Birmingham?

"Make a bowl" huh? You clowns sure set a high bar. With over 80 teams "making bowls" it's harder to not make one than to make one. Are you really gonna be all that heeled with 6-6 and a matchup with another 6-6 team in Birmingham?
I think we're just looking for a step forward. Is 6-6 and a bowl game in December in Alabama prolific? No, but it's a step forward (and it buys our team an extra month of practice). I would think a fan of a team that's spent many a bowl season in Memphis, Mobile, and Shreveport would agree.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT