ADVERTISEMENT

The MYTH that UK is "closer" to U of L after last year's game

Why are we using the top 100? I only looked at the top 30 and UK played 7 teams in that range, I'd be willing to bet they played 9 or more in the top 50.
They have a brutal schedule each year, that's part of playing in the sec. But it makes it tough to make leaps and bounds in such a short time.

They won 2 sec games, that's nothing to write home about, but it's improvement.
Being in the SEC didn't seem to affect Missouri (traditional bottom feeder in the Big 12), Ole Piss and Miss State and even Vandy for a few seasons. Continue the debate.

Reactions: LockdownCard
Bill you're starting to not make sense at all. You lost all credibility when you said the series didn't make a difference in high school football in the state.

Reactions: Mike'sMarbles
What difference did it make? Give me examples of definite proof.
There is none, Kentucky football has gained momentum as football nationally has. Kentucky and Louisville playing each other has zero effect on that.

Its ridiculous to say Louisville and UK playing affected it high school football. You're simply trotting out something your school parroted when UK wanted to move the game.

Being in the SEC didn't seem to affect Missouri (traditional bottom feeder in the Big 12), Ole Piss and Miss State and even Vandy for a few seasons. Continue the debate.

Missouri has a damn good football coach. The other 3 didn't happen overnight, stoops has been there 2 years, give the man a little time to implement what he's doing.

Missouri has a damn good football coach. The other 3 didn't happen overnight, stoops has been there 2 years, give the man a little time to implement what he's doing.
I'm willing to give Stoops the benefit of doubt for a couple of more seasons. He's in his first HC position at a traditional bottom feeding program in the perceived toughest conference in college football. We all know that. UK has traditionally been a place where good Head coaches go to die. The fact that he wasn't even considered for the job until 4-6 others declined and he campaigned for it, is a red flag for me. His brother Mike didn't fair to well in his only HC position at Arizona and is back where he belongs on his brothers payroll. Stoops shot out of a rocket that first two seasons selling playing time and being the northern most school in the SEC. His recruiting came back to earth last season as the loses to P5 schools mounted and while he appears to have a good class at this time, the winning better come or you will see flips like last season. With OSU winning the National Championship and with Jim Harbaugh now at Michigan, the SEC is no longer the poster child UK fans think it is up North. Stoops advantage in Ohio just took a step backward. JMO.

Because UK had zero to gain from it. When the series started what benefit was there for UK? Like I said, they win, well they're supposed too, they lose and Louisville gets to put a notch in their cap of beating an sec team, the home state sec team.

The same reason Ohio st doesn't play Cincinnati every year or Tennessee doesn't play Memphis, there is nothing to gain by playing the game for them.

Total BS! The notch in the cap was destroying Alabama in a New Year's Day bowl game. Not beating the mighty Cats. By 1994 we had already surpassed you. Yet you keep trotting out this tired and untrue refrain. Bill is so easy to smack around. And LOL at you equating big blow to Ohio St and Tennessee!

I think that first "notch" would have been beating a 1-10 SEC team. Yippee!

LPT Football: Not one of our better years...

Bill, who was the last winning coach at UK not named Morris? If Stoops does win then you'll be looking for another coach, not a knock but pure reality. You guys are in a bad spot in football because basketball is what you are, being the Northern school in the SEC doesn't help either.

...Its ridiculous to say Louisville and UK playing affected it high school football. You're simply trotting out something your school parroted when UK wanted to move the game.
I think the only people saying the game doesn't matter are connected with LPT. I've never heard a high school coach, for example, when presented with the question answer it doesn't matter.

Unless you think they're all lying, high school coaches are not in agreement with the conventional LPT rhetoric.

The annual game was started and helped LPT because it needed to fill a renovated stadium (which failed). It also mistakenly thought that U of L would not build its own stadium in which half of the games would be played. I guess they miscalculated.

LPT Football: We do that a lot...

Reactions: Mayoman
Missouri has a damn good football coach...
You just keyed on how a team accelerates its improvement. Didn't take the Missouri guy long in a tough conference.

Stupes is on the hot seat if that's the kinda performance you expect.

LPT Football: We'll have to raise the bar...

...You guys are in a bad spot in football because basketball is what you are...
Their biggest problem is that basketball is WHAT THEY WANT TO BE. Their football fortunes would likely change if they stopped subordinating everything to basketball.

LPT Football: We ain't holding our breath...

I think the only people saying the game doesn't matter are connected with LPT. I've never heard a high school coach, for example, when presented with the question answer it doesn't matter.

Unless you think they're all lying, high school coaches are not in agreement with the conventional LPT rhetoric.

The annual game was started and helped LPT because it needed to fill a renovated stadium (which failed). It also mistakenly thought that U of L would not build its own stadium in which half of the games would be played. I guess they miscalculated.

LPT Football: We do that a lot...
The annual game started before UK renovated commonwealth, good lord Zipp.
Tell me how the game helped local football? Are you telling me high school football in ky only improved because the 2 teams played each other? That's absurd I guess now the games at the end of the season high school football is going to take a step back? I mean that's what Louisville parroted isn't it.

Bill, who was the last winning coach at UK not named Morris? If Stoops does win then you'll be looking for another coach, not a knock but pure reality. You guys are in a bad spot in football because basketball is what you are, being the Northern school in the SEC doesn't help either.

Brooks won more than Morris. Louisville has done alright with coaches winning and leaving, trust me id rather be in that position than a coach losing and being fired.
You guys act like I should have no hope, because that's what you want. It benefits Louisville for UK to be down I get it. But the team is trending up on all fronts. We finished on a losing streak and still managed a decent class, what 4 spots behind you guys after a 9 win season and bowl game. Its not where I'd like to be but its not bad considering all the players that dropped their commitment late in the year.
And recruiting isn't everything, but it sure helps a whole lot.

The annual game started before UK renovated commonwealth, good lord Zipp...
Yeah, that was the plan. Create demand for an expanded stadium. LPT did that by adding U of L to its home schedule every year--which lasted until PJCS was built. Then, it was every other year.

And 70,000 strong turned into 60,000 strong, then 50,000 strong, and now it's 39,000 strong. A trend that even U of L couldn't help reverse.

LPT Football: We knew U of L would drop the ball...

BTW, here's a link for that, Bill.

"Kentucky's C.M. Newton wants to turn Commonwealth Stadium into a bowl..."

LPT Football: We hate facts.

I don't hate facts, I know what Newton did. But the series with Louisville had already started by then.
I don't even know what the hell we're arguing about. are you saying UK only expanded because of Louisville? That's ridiculous.
What does UK gain nationally by playing Louisville every year in the mud 90's? If they win they gain nothing, if they lose Louisville gets recognition. It was a win win for Louisville, which is exactly why Louisville agreed to play at commonwealth every year. It's not difficult to see Zipp.

UK jumped the gun with that expansion. They got caught up in attendance and not quality. Hopefully this new remodel will fix a lot of that. It takes time and tradition and winning to consistently fill a large stadium and even in the thin years they were still in the top 25 in attendance yearly.
I'm not saying UK is going to be a juggernaut in football, I believe it's going to take time to build it, especially with the lack of homegrown talent and perception. But I think the team is heading in the right direction. Time will tell

I don't hate facts, I know what Newton did. But the series with Louisville had already started by then.
I don't even know what the hell we're arguing about. are you saying UK only expanded because of Louisville? That's ridiculous.
What does UK gain nationally by playing Louisville every year in the mud 90's? If they win they gain nothing, if they lose Louisville gets recognition. It was a win win for Louisville, which is exactly why Louisville agreed to play at commonwealth every year. It's not difficult to see Zipp.

UK jumped the gun with that expansion. They got caught up in attendance and not quality. Hopefully this new remodel will fix a lot of that. It takes time and tradition and winning to consistently fill a large stadium and even in the thin years they were still in the top 25 in attendance yearly.
I'm not saying UK is going to be a juggernaut in football, I believe it's going to take time to build it, especially with the lack of homegrown talent and perception. But I think the team is heading in the right direction. Time will tell

Brooks won more than Morris. Louisville has done alright with coaches winning and leaving, trust me id rather be in that position than a coach losing and being fired.
You guys act like I should have no hope, because that's what you want. It benefits Louisville for UK to be down I get it. But the team is trending up on all fronts. We finished on a losing streak and still managed a decent class, what 4 spots behind you guys after a 9 win season and bowl game. Its not where I'd like to be but its not bad considering all the players that dropped their commitment late in the year.
And recruiting isn't everything, but it sure helps a whole lot.

Unless Stoops wins 6 games his 3 year record is no better than Jokers last 3..Trending up? You do realize Ul and WKU are ahead of UK. It does not benefit UL for UK to be down...it would help our RPI if UK was up. just like we help UK RPI because we are consistently ranked.

Stop being ridiculous. No one gets "recognition" for beating UK. WKU got a little but nobody thanks more highly of any team that beats Slapdick State. Anyone think Bill is a UL fan in disguise and that this is an act?

Mizzou wasn't a traditional bottom feeder in the Big 12 under CGP. They had several 9 plus win seasons, and even a BCS Bowl if I remember correctly. And while what they've done has been impressive, they've beaten one SEC team with a winning conference record(UGA) in the two years they've won the East.

Mississippi State recruits in the 25-45 range, which is about where UK will recruit. They've had ONE year with a winning SEC record in Mullen's tenure(going on 7 years), though they've had a couple of .500 years.

Ole Miss recruits in the top 20 usually, and they have had two seasons with a winning SEC record since the 09-10 season, with a couple of one and two conference win years. They should give UK fans some pause that are hoping for success based solely on recruiting rankings.

Vandy was similar to Mizzou with a very favorable SEC schedule, only their OOC was even worse.

My point with all of this is that it's tough to climb up in the SEC. And, aside from Mizzou(only been in SEC three years), the others have had more terrible to mediocre seasons than they have good. They have competed in conference on a couple of occasions, but aren't consistent contenders, and haven't had the success many credit them with because of their most recent seasons.

Can you answer why you all counted Missouri in the sure win category and are still doing it?

Simple answer is that you are quoting some of the uninformed of the fan base and applying it to everyone. Not everyone counts Missouri as a win every year, believes that U of L is a cupcake for sure win this year, or that Stoops is gonna save humanity. Missouri has however benefited from an SEC east that has been down the last several years, with the exception of Georgia, but that should change this year with Tennessee if Butch Jones can coach as well as he recruits.

Just to add to my earlier posts about the attrition that started with Joker that Stoops has had to deal with in the beginning of his tenure at UK, here are some more numbers:

22 players from the 09 and 10 class didn't even make it until the start of Joker's final year at UK. These guys would've been the veterans during Stoops' first two years.

Of the 25 players signed in the 2011 class, four are still with the team, eight have been drafted or exhausted eligibility, and 13 are no longer with the team or never made it to campus. These guys would be fifth year Seniors this year. This also speaks to the fact that Joker barely redshirted anyone.

Of the 27 players in the 2012 class only 10 are still with the team. I don't know the numbers breakdown of why they're no longer with the team. Of those 10, only four are expected to be starters. Those would be Seniors or red shirt Juniors.

As you can see, roster attrition has been a big blow to the UK program. For this reason UK will be really young this year, and will likely struggle, though still be improved and more talented.

The day uk wins an east title for two straight seasons, I'll become a uk fan and burn everything Louisville I own.

LPT Football: In other words, not gon happen...

Well I'd be dancing in the streets too. But I meant built the way they are. Recruit good, redshirt players, and have solid qb and line play is what I meant Zipp.

That does indeed describe pretty much everyone in your fan base.
Well you know not all of us can be that self proclaimed law school grad who's life calling is to come on an internet message board to call out stupidity, combat racism, and stop world hunger. Your really taking it to them though, everyone posting here has been thoroughly impressed :rolleyes:.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT