ADVERTISEMENT

The Louisville Football Coaching Search: A Cautionary Tale

BlueRattie

No-Ranking Prospect
Feb 6, 2014
I'll begin by saying that I am obviously a UK fan, and I have no intention of coming to your board and trash talking about records or even the game this Saturday. Even though I'm a UK fan, I understand that the rivalry is better when two quality teams meet up in November every year, not one. I actually hope UofL makes a good hire and turns my post Thanksgiving football weekend into something memorable every year. The rivalry during the Joker years was, well, a joke. An era of Joker-type football in Louisville would be just as depressing, in its own way.

I understand the the near consensus on your board is luring Brohm away from Purdue and rekindling the magic of Petrino 1.0, which makes sense because there is much to like about Brohm. He seems to be an electric recruiter, a innovative offensive mind, and an energetic leader. Indeed, there are plenty of reasons that Brohm could be the long-term answer to Louisville's football needs. I could see him taking the job and being very successful for two decades, or at least until the NFL comes calling.

However, I can also see some potential pitfalls to hiring Brohm that are simmering just beneath the glossy veneer.

• Finishing What You Started: In hiring Brohm, UofL would be taking a flyer on someone who has, in two stops, done an excellent job of beginning the rebuild process but has never finished the rebuild process. To this point, Brohm has never stayed anywhere long enough to fully capitalize on his early stage successes. He could be the whole package: recruiter, in-game game coach, leader, whole-program designer. But, he could also be a guy that makes a career of leapfrogging to better and better jobs based on perceived potential for results--not actual results. Such guys (think Butch Jones) often talk their way into big money and fail to get results.
  • The Fallacy of Coaching Trees: Beware hiring coaches that were coordinators under a successful coach, especially when they both had the same focus area. Hiring a offensive coordinator from a successful team with an offensive minded head coach can be a roll of the dice. For every Dan Mullen there are five Chuck Amatos. The problem is that we often give young coordinators credit for what their boss is actually doing. Brohm had great success as an assistant at UofL, when Petrino (1.0) was calling the shots. When Petrino left Brohm was promoted to Offensive coordinator. The result? Two less than stellar seasons. Now, one could argue that Kragthorpe was a bad hire, but Kragthorpe did hand the offense to Brohm only to watch it sputter. Was that sputtering an anomaly or a red flag? Time will tell.
  • You Can Never Go Home Again: College football is littered with the husk of once promising careers ruined by coaches that attempted to "go home". Randy Shannon at Miami, Dave Wannstedt at Pitt, Ray Goff at Georgia, and of course there was the Joker Phillips debacle at UK. In most of these "terrible alumni hire" situations, there were multiple red flags that should have warned these programs that their former player, beloved as he is, was not ready to take over as the head man. Those red flags disappeared in the haze of gauzy nostalgia. There have been some great Alumni hires; perhaps Brohm is more Kirby Smart than Ray Goff. The possibility exist, though, that UofL could make this hire out of a toxic mix of desperation, nostalgia, and wishful thinking.

In the then end, it all comes down to what the UofL athletic department values in the next coach. If he wants to put buts in the seats (which is a real concern), the sexy pick is Brohm. He would bring instant energy to the program and be a slam dunk with Cardinal faithful. There is risk to that pick, though, and Tyra would be a fool to not at least consider those risks. There is also the not-so-latent desire to cut ties with the previous regime. Brohm might be a savior to fans, but he could be perceived as a nod to the Jurich days.

Perhaps they will go a safer route and pick a steady hand at the wheel, someone that's completed a rebuild process somewhere else. Is the next UofL coach a red and white version of Rich Brooks? Who knows? What's for certain is that this is going to be one of the more interesting hires by any program in the last decade or so, and the man that eventually stands behind that podium at the press conference will have the hopes (and fears) of a program squarely on his shoulders.

Reactions: CardMonarch
Thanks from a fan who is the epitome of sa shitty football program. I would assume our admin will not be listening to anyone with any UK fan ties. I realize Brohm will make UK his bit#h like the last two coaches and that scares you. Get lost

Reactions: CardinalJim
Thanks from a fan who is the epitome of sa shitty football program. I would assume our admin will not be listening to anyone with any UK fan ties. I realize Brohm will make UK his bit#h like the last two coaches and that scares you. Get lost

Happy Thanksgiving!

Reactions: Blue_White_KY
I'll begin by saying that I am obviously a UK fan, and I have no intention of coming to your board and trash talking about records or even the game this Saturday. Even though I'm a UK fan, I understand that the rivalry is better when two quality teams meet up in November every year, not one. I actually hope UofL makes a good hire and turns my post Thanksgiving football weekend into something memorable every year. The rivalry during the Joker years was, well, a joke. An era of Joker-type football in Louisville would be just as depressing, in its own way.

I understand the the near consensus on your board is luring Brohm away from Purdue and rekindling the magic of Petrino 1.0, which makes sense because there is much to like about Brohm. He seems to be an electric recruiter, a innovative offensive mind, and an energetic leader. Indeed, there are plenty of reasons that Brohm could be the long-term answer to Louisville's football needs. I could see him taking the job and being very successful for two decades, or at least until the NFL comes calling.

However, I can also see some potential pitfalls to hiring Brohm that are simmering just beneath the glossy veneer.

• Finishing What You Started: In hiring Brohm, UofL would be taking a flyer on someone who has, in two stops, done an excellent job of beginning the rebuild process but has never finished the rebuild process. To this point, Brohm has never stayed anywhere long enough to fully capitalize on his early stage successes. He could be the whole package: recruiter, in-game game coach, leader, whole-program designer. But, he could also be a guy that makes a career of leapfrogging to better and better jobs based on perceived potential for results--not actual results. Such guys (think Butch Jones) often talk their way into big money and fail to get results.
  • The Fallacy of Coaching Trees: Beware hiring coaches that were coordinators under a successful coach, especially when they both had the same focus area. Hiring a offensive coordinator from a successful team with an offensive minded head coach can be a roll of the dice. For every Dan Mullen there are five Chuck Amatos. The problem is that we often give young coordinators credit for what their boss is actually doing. Brohm had great success as an assistant at UofL, when Petrino (1.0) was calling the shots. When Petrino left Brohm was promoted to Offensive coordinator. The result? Two less than stellar seasons. Now, one could argue that Kragthorpe was a bad hire, but Kragthorpe did hand the offense to Brohm only to watch it sputter. Was that sputtering an anomaly or a red flag? Time will tell.
  • You Can Never Go Home Again: College football is littered with the husk of once promising careers ruined by coaches that attempted to "go home". Randy Shannon at Miami, Dave Wannstedt at Pitt, Ray Goff at Georgia, and of course there was the Joker Phillips debacle at UK. In most of these "terrible alumni hire" situations, there were multiple red flags that should have warned these programs that their former player, beloved as he is, was not ready to take over as the head man. Those red flags disappeared in the haze of gauzy nostalgia. There have been some great Alumni hires; perhaps Brohm is more Kirby Smart than Ray Goff. The possibility exist, though, that UofL could make this hire out of a toxic mix of desperation, nostalgia, and wishful thinking.

In the then end, it all comes down to what the UofL athletic department values in the next coach. If he wants to put buts in the seats (which is a real concern), the sexy pick is Brohm. He would bring instant energy to the program and be a slam dunk with Cardinal faithful. There is risk to that pick, though, and Tyra would be a fool to not at least consider those risks. There is also the not-so-latent desire to cut ties with the previous regime. Brohm might be a savior to fans, but he could be perceived as a nod to the Jurich days.

Perhaps they will go a safer route and pick a steady hand at the wheel, someone that's completed a rebuild process somewhere else. Is the next UofL coach a red and white version of Rich Brooks? Who knows? What's for certain is that this is going to be one of the more interesting hires by any program in the last decade or so, and the man that eventually stands behind that podium at the press conference will have the hopes (and fears) of a program squarely on his shoulders.
Why are you BBN fans so obsessed with the University of Louisville? Hopes or fears? Give me a break.

I heard the same thing about petrino 5 years ago. Nearly every card fan said Bobby would lead them to the promised land. Now, I'm hearing the same thing about Brohm.

Petrino didn't work out. Maybe Brohm will. You never know.

It's really hard to find a guy and have them work out. Louisville's next hire may turn out to be a slam dunk or another misfire. If coaching changes were easy, the top traditional programs would all always have great coaches and all be great every single year.

Nobody knows how this will turn out, regardless of who gets hired. Hiring a new coach is somewhat of a crap shoot at any school.

Look at Alabama's history, just between Stallings and Saban. They went through Mike DuBose, Dennis Franchione, and Mike Shula. I'm sure Alabama's admin had high hopes that each coach would work out.

I think UofL is lucky that a coach with Brohm's accomplishments and ties to the city may be available right when we need a change. Only time will tell whether he comes here and how well it works out.

You do realize your AD is a UK alum - hence, UK ties? He better not listen to himself..

I agree no one knows how a change may go. To me while the head guy is important his assistants are the key. Who really knew Petrino wasn't going to be able to attract good assistant coaches? They started out with a high level DC and a OC (QB) coach that he was successfully with at Arkansas. Hard to envision what happened over the next 4 years. By all accounts Krags was terrific hire, but Jurich got into his way by limiting his option assistant coach wise.

There are very few coaches that have a big enough coaching network to maintain their program over the course of several years. Outside of Saban there aren't many coaches that lose key coordinators without a problem. Is Clemson as successful without their DC? Is Stoops still UK's coach without Marrow? Bottom line the head coach is only as good as his assistants.

Reactions: BlueRattie
Op,JB was born to coach this football team. I hope he knows that,lol.

I acknowledged BlueRattie's post on the UK board and will do the same here. With the exception of the ALs and tOSUs of the football world there are almost always selection risks. Coaching selections are generally "limited to whoever is available to you at the time". I am just not sure there is a better viable candidate for the UofL job than Brohm.

Peace

I heard the same thing about petrino 5 years ago. Nearly every card fan said Bobby would lead them to the promised land. Now, I'm hearing the same thing about Brohm.

Still gave you your yearly ass beatings and got a heisman and top 25, 5 out of the last 6 years. More that you can say about your sorry ass program. Lead the way Porky!!!

There is no risk-free path for UofL. Brohm is a proven head coach at two different places. If he can learn the lessons of Bobby, he can be successful. We will see.

Still gave you your yearly ass beatings and got a heisman and top 25, 5 out of the last 6 years. More that you can say about your sorry ass program. Lead the way Porky!!!

He was 3-1 against UK and one of his wins was by 3. Without his Heisman winner he may have not lasted 5 years. It's a shame he had Lamar for 3 years and couldn't muster more than 9 wins.

He was 3-1 against UK and one of his wins was by 3. Without his Heisman winner he may have not lasted 5 years. It's a shame he had Lamar for 3 years and couldn't muster more than 9 wins.
And his 1 loss was by 3, so what’s your point?

Maybe on this holiday you could explain the mindset of a SuCk fan. I’ve live in nine different states growing up. Many with stellar FB and BB programs, but never have I found a fan base that thinks so highly of themselves that they feel the need to come on someone else’s board to give advise or opinion. Why do you feel that we care what you think?

Because we do not.

you did not here that from nearly every cardinal fan, many of us wanted to move forward not back

Reactions: jmac1029
The other thing I would caution is Brohm May shock us and turn us down. I remember 1975 when everyone KNEW Denny was leaving UofL to replace Coach Wooden at UCLA. Hopefully not.

giphy.gif

Dude our current athletic director has his degree from UofK. Played baseball for UofK. His DAD is a UofL legend though so that's good.

I don't understand why everyone is freaking out about Brohm. If he takes the UofL job, then great. He is my first choice too, but if he doesn't, then he doesn't. UofL will find a suitable replacement for Petrino. I am 100% confident of that.

Dude our current athletic director has his degree from UofK. Played baseball for UofK. His DAD is a UofL legend though so that's good.

I don't understand why everyone is freaking out about Brohm. If he takes the UofL job, then great. He is my first choice too, but if he doesn't, then he doesn't. UofL will find a suitable replacement for Petrino. I am 100% confident of that.
I said UK FAN

I said UK FAN
Yeah I know. You got to be a little touched in the head if you don't think Tyra has at least a little bit of UofK fandom running thru his veins. He went there for crying out loud. How can he NOT have? Again, the only really cool thing about Vince Tyra is his last name. His father is a UofL ICON.

Yeah I know. You got to be a little touched in the head if you don't think Tyra has at least a little bit of UofK fandom running thru his veins. He went there for crying out loud. How can he NOT have? Again, the only really cool thing about Vince Tyra is his last name. His father is a UofL ICON.

There are ALOT of UofL and uofk fans that like both. I work with 3 of them.

They like them both except 1 when they play each other.

Iraq or Iran.
Pick a damn tea :mad:

Last edited:
There are ALOT of UofL and uofk fans that like both. I work with 3 of them.

They like them both except 1 when they play each other.

Itaq ir Iran.
Pick a damn tea :mad:
I never understood that. I am simply unable to wrap my mind around that concept. How on earth is that even remotely possible to like BOTH teams?

I grew up during the 60's loving the Cardinals and was called every racial slur imaginable because of my willingness to show my allegiance to UofL in spite of the backlash. It was that deep seated hatred shown towards me that taught me just how wrong it is to hate in the first place. I guess I should thank those bigots for the life lesson and just move on, but the cold hard truth is I would rather quit watching all forms of sports before ever supporting UofK in anything. I got a UofK t-shirt once as a gift for Christmas. It made a nice rag for washing the car before finding its way to the garbage can. Just saying.

Probably the same way my brother went to med school at UofL and is the one of the bigges UK fans you could meet

I think it's because if he did a great job at Louisville, fans don't see him bolting like our last several coaches who've done well due to Brohm's family ties to the city.

You do realize your AD is a UK alum - hence, UK ties? He better not listen to himself..

Sadly the reason many didn’t care for him taking over our program. Of course many of us could overlook him making a terrible decision like accepting a full ride scholarship to an SEC ( in name only) baseball program.
CJ

Yes Sheldon that’s sarcasm...

Reactions: RonEJones
He may be a UK alum but a UofL First guy, always has been. He left town to pursue a baseball career and UK offered a free ride. UofL at that time did not offer scholarships for baseball. Many UK students and graduates especially from Louisville are UofL fans.

Reactions: RonEJones
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT