ADVERTISEMENT

The Job

CardHack

Four-Star Poster
May 29, 2001
1. Louisville has options that are very positive; this isn't Schnellenberger leaving and immediate attention going to Mike Gottfried and Gary Blakeney and "being wowed by Ron Cooper at the Eleventh Hour". We're in a good spot and have decent building blocks and to be able to build on whatever connections and circuits the incoming coach provides.

2. I hope it's Brohm. I hope we keep the bulk of our class intact. Brohm has demonstrated he can turn a lightly recruited, modest skill position group into a productive offense and when you look at the areas he has successfully pulled players--Indianapolis, Nashville and occasionally in Louisville--it augments our traditional haunts. Opportunity awaits for somebody when it comes to NIL, The Portal and the change in ACC scheduling. We have alot to offer. Hell I'd bet Howie Lindsey is palpitating over the possibility of a Ron English reappearance in Louisville.

3. ...that said, I had to laugh a little at the Dave Ragone head man bringing Jon Gannon with him to Louisville talk today from a scribe to remain unnamed talk...c'mon people Jon Gannon is lined up to be the defensive coordinator in the Super Bowl. That equates to being a Head Man in the NFL in a year and Ragone is making a steak dinner out of chicken salad parts down in Atlanta offensively.

4. In my lifetime the UC coaching position has been interesting because it has produced tons of great assistants who became head men--no less than Urban Meyer and Mike Tomlin as well as now Marcus Freeman at Notre Dame--and remarkably few have been able to keep Cincinnatians in Cincinnati. Fickell was able to to a degree nobody before him could. Brian Kelly didn't really but shrewdly used that circuit for some pretty good players to Notre Dame. I'd bet when Stoops and Vince Marrow heard from Jimmy Sexton that Satterfield was going to UC they about fell out of the chair because the biggest barrier to them pulling kids out of Colerain and the Lakotas has been Fickell--not Ohio State. I hope that whoever becomes head man at Louisville recognizes that now if not sooner--Eric Wood, Preston and Dominique Brown, and Greg Scruggs were great players at Louisville and we can recruit against Satterfield in a way we couldn't when Fickell was there.

5. The only way Satterfield fits in Cincinnati is North Carolinians have the hard O's just like they do in Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky. He just has to make sure every conversation includes Phooone, Hoooome, or Bone to fit in. He is going to live hard if he thinks coming from the South through Clifton is some big improvement to coming through Old Louisville from the East through UofL's campus. If I were him I'd be sure to live up in Mt. Eden or Mt. Adams. Hopefully his benefits package includes Bengals and FCC season tickets; the Reds? I'd have stayed in Louisville for a package that includes that. I love Cincinnati and every trip I've ever taken there; I just hated driving through it up to Dayton for youth soccer tournaments no less than 100 times. In the 50+ years of my existence has I-75 across the Bridge to Dayton through Loveland Colerain and Lakota ever been anything but a Death Trap?

The defensive side of the ball was something that never was perfected by Brohm at Purdue. When he took the Purdue job he inherited Marcus Freeman but ran him off by bringing his WKU buddy with him. It makes me question his defensive awareness, understanding and “what it takes to get it done” on defense as a result. Brohm is a control freak on the offensive side, but hands off on defense. His hire as defensive coordinator will be a signal of how much he’s learned during his Purdue tenure.

Defense is made by how good your defensive line and cornerbacks are. That is what held UL back until this season. And you have to have depth at both, especially the DLINE.

I think JB will be able to get better athletes at both those position groups at UL than he was able to recruit at Purdue. He did have some really good players at those positions but not enough.

Reactions: BPGhost
The defensive side of the ball was something that never was perfected by Brohm at Purdue. When he took the Purdue job he inherited Marcus Freeman but ran him off by bringing his WKU buddy with him.
…and later hired Bobby Debacle.

Yeah, I'm not really keen on Ron English. We have had a taste of that before.
It is a major question mark. You can’t consistently win with bad defenses. With his offense he just needs defenses in the top 40 in total defense or scoring defense.

hire whoever to be HC but then hire Jim Leonard to be DC.
Leonhard will go for $2 million a year, if he doesn’t go back to the NFL.

Reactions: glassmanJ
1. Louisville has options that are very positive; this isn't Schnellenberger leaving and immediate attention going to Mike Gottfried and Gary Blakeney and "being wowed by Ron Cooper at the Eleventh Hour". We're in a good spot and have decent building blocks and to be able to build on whatever connections and circuits the incoming coach provides.

2. I hope it's Brohm. I hope we keep the bulk of our class intact. Brohm has demonstrated he can turn a lightly recruited, modest skill position group into a productive offense and when you look at the areas he has successfully pulled players--Indianapolis, Nashville and occasionally in Louisville--it augments our traditional haunts. Opportunity awaits for somebody when it comes to NIL, The Portal and the change in ACC scheduling. We have alot to offer. Hell I'd bet Howie Lindsey is palpitating over the possibility of a Ron English reappearance in Louisville.

3. ...that said, I had to laugh a little at the Dave Ragone head man bringing Jon Gannon with him to Louisville talk today from a scribe to remain unnamed talk...c'mon people Jon Gannon is lined up to be the defensive coordinator in the Super Bowl. That equates to being a Head Man in the NFL in a year and Ragone is making a steak dinner out of chicken salad parts down in Atlanta offensively.

4. In my lifetime the UC coaching position has been interesting because it has produced tons of great assistants who became head men--no less than Urban Meyer and Mike Tomlin as well as now Marcus Freeman at Notre Dame--and remarkably few have been able to keep Cincinnatians in Cincinnati. Fickell was able to to a degree nobody before him could. Brian Kelly didn't really but shrewdly used that circuit for some pretty good players to Notre Dame. I'd bet when Stoops and Vince Marrow heard from Jimmy Sexton that Satterfield was going to UC they about fell out of the chair because the biggest barrier to them pulling kids out of Colerain and the Lakotas has been Fickell--not Ohio State. I hope that whoever becomes head man at Louisville recognizes that now if not sooner--Eric Wood, Preston and Dominique Brown, and Greg Scruggs were great players at Louisville and we can recruit against Satterfield in a way we couldn't when Fickell was there.

5. The only way Satterfield fits in Cincinnati is North Carolinians have the hard O's just like they do in Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky. He just has to make sure every conversation includes Phooone, Hoooome, or Bone to fit in. He is going to live hard if he thinks coming from the South through Clifton is some big improvement to coming through Old Louisville from the East through UofL's campus. If I were him I'd be sure to live up in Mt. Eden or Mt. Adams. Hopefully his benefits package includes Bengals and FCC season tickets; the Reds? I'd have stayed in Louisville for a package that includes that. I love Cincinnati and every trip I've ever taken there; I just hated driving through it up to Dayton for youth soccer tournaments no less than 100 times. In the 50+ years of my existence has I-75 across the Bridge to Dayton through Loveland Colerain and Lakota ever been anything but a Death Trap?
Add Rex Ryan to the list of assistants.

Hard 'O's? WTF! Now I know why I sound "different" to everyone else up here!
LOL

Reactions: glassmanJ
Except apparently Wisconsin…
I think there was some butthurt here. It was reported earlier that Leonhard would stay on as the DC. He was named the interim coach for the bowl game, but after Fickell took the job, he announced that Tressel would be his DC, leaving Leonhard to go elsewhere. Leonhard is a Badger alumni.

Reactions: Mrp7
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT