ADVERTISEMENT

The Groundhog Day that Is U of K Football

I wouldn't be surprised if Jim Bunning being his grandfather didn't have something to do with his long leash as well.

I didn't say that was the reason, but don't underestimate who wields power at many schools.

You insinuated it. All you're doing is talking out of both sides of your mouth at the same time. Typical double speak garbage. Say something and and own it. Man up.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
You insinuated it. All you're doing is talking out of both sides of your mouth at the same time. Typical double speak garbage. Say something and and own it. Man up.

What? Saying I wouldn't be surprised is not insinuating it, it's saying I don't know, but it's possible. I didn't say it was the reason he's still playing, only a possibility, especially with how much money is now being spent on football, amazingly since Towles got there.

His play on the field is not worthy of keeping him playing..

What? Saying I wouldn't be surprised is not insinuating it, it's saying I don't know, but it's possible. I didn't say it was the reason he's still playing, only a possibility, especially with how much money is now being spent on football, amazingly since Towles got there.

His play on the field is not worthy of keeping him playing..
Yet he is STILL playing. That means a possible 3 things.

1. You're right and Jim Bunning is the secret coach of the UofK wildcats.

2. You're wrong and coach Stoops is incompetent.

3. You're still wrong because coach Stoops has no better option.

You choose.

You choose.

Stoops made a mistake not getting Barker some snaps early in the year. Now it's down to nut cutting time, and Towles is a headcase and Barker is green.

His own comments made it seem he was protecting Towles, he said if Barker ever came in he wouldn't be able to put Towles back in. He either meant he knew Barker would shine, or that it would
destroy Towles confidence. Either way that was bad coaching decision based on whats happened the last half of the season.

Stoops made a mistake not getting Barker some snaps early in the year. Now it's down to nut cutting time, and Towles is a headcase and Barker is green.

His own comments made it seem he was protecting Towles, he said if Barker ever came in he wouldn't be able to put Towles back in. He either meant he knew Barker would shine, or that it would
destroy Towles confidence. Either way that was bad coaching decision based on whats happened the last half of the season.
Bill have you ever listened to a coach that knows what he's doing? I'm sorry, I forgot Stoops is your coach. Players earn playing time during practice. If Barker was the answer, he would have separated himself from Towles in practice. UK fan's problem, they are still trying to make one of these home grown kids their next Couch. Too bad the previous coach didn't give Lexington native, Kyle Bolin any love.

Bill have you ever listened to a coach that knows what he's doing? I'm sorry, I forgot Stoops is your coach. Players earn playing time during practice. If Barker was the answer, he would have separated himself from Towles in practice. UK fan's problem, they are still trying to make one of these home grown kids their next Couch. Too bad the previous coach didn't give Lexington native, Kyle Bolin any love.

This may turn out as one of those "be careful what you wish for" moments. Who knows for sure, but my guess is Barker is so woeful in practice that Stoops is afraid to put him out there against the opponent's starting defense.

Sometimes when you put another guy in, things really can get much worse.

Reactions: Capt Tony
I'm interested in knowing more about the Jim Bunning angle, Bill. Care to share what you know?

This may turn out as one of those "be careful what you wish for" moments. Who knows for sure, but my guess is Barker is so woeful in practice that Stoops is afraid to put him out there against the opponent's starting defense.

Sometimes when you put another guy in, things really can get much worse.

All I'm saying is that Towles is not getting it done. He hasn't progressed at all as a QB, and it's all mental.
What little we've seen of Barker shows he has better pocket presence, quicker release and accuracy, although it's a small sample size.

At this point Towles can't make passes a decent high school QB can make.

All I'm saying is that Towles is not getting it done. He hasn't progressed at all as a QB, and it's all mental.
What little we've seen of Barker shows he has better pocket presence, quicker release and accuracy, although it's a small sample size.

At this point Towles can't make passes a decent high school QB can make.

Your receivers drop balls, your Oline can't block, and your Defense is terrible, so I guess Towles is holding you guys back?

Reactions: Mike'sMarbles
Your receivers drop balls, your Oline can't block, and your Defense is terrible, so I guess Towles is holding you guys back?

The WR's rarely get an accurate throw, high low, behind, double coverage, Towles locker on one receiver.
If Towles were capable of hitting a quick slant, or over the middle that would relieve some pressure. He can't, I know it, you probably know it, and I'm certain DC's know it, he can't pick up disguised defenses on top of that he panics instead of occasionally making a play under adverse situations.
The defense played good enough to to win the Florida, Auburn and UGA games. But no defense can hold up when the offense is continually going 3 and out. Not to mention the psychological effect of not trusting your offense to do anything.
All I'm saying is it's time to mix things up. The team is in a funk. The QB has 2 td's to I believe 9 Int's in league play, he looks lost on the field.

You seem to think people on this board would prefer it to be some other way, and you appear to be here looking for support.

Are you as lost as Towles?

I actually am indifferent to their wins and losses. If U of K ever did live up to its fans' delusional, reliably premature predictions--well, at least I'd be less bored and U of L would have a better schedule. ;-)

Kats lose to Vandy it may be curtains for Lumpy.

Do you really think Stoops could be gone if he loses to Vandy, or just joking?

Ironically, I suspect he's more likely to leave the program if they go to a Bowl, than if he loses out or finishes with 5 games. Winning 6 or 7 games at UK of all places, will make some other programs looking for coaches take notice.

I just can't see them firing him after only 3 years. Some of the delusional diehard fans we see posting on their board expect more, but their administration has to be aware of their real place in the pecking order. 5 wins is actually a pretty good season at UK, in the big picture.

Reactions: Senore2006

Ironically, I suspect he's more likely to leave the program if they go to a Bowl, than if he loses out or finishes with 5 games. Winning 6 or 7 games at UK of all places, will make some other programs looking for coaches take notice.

I just can't see them firing him after only 3 years. Some of the delusional diehard fans we see posting on their board expect more, but their administration has to be aware of their real place in the pecking order. 5 wins is actually a pretty good season at UK, in the big picture.

In all fairness, he should be awarded 1 more year to show improvement in the program AND his own abilities as a head coach. This is his first college head coaching job. 4 years is enough time to prove yourself a success or a failure in the college ranks.

Hell, give him another raise! He's doing a bang up job!! :rolleyes:

k1.jpg

fbs2.jpg

Kats lose to Vandy it may be curtains for Lumpy.
Nooooo.... We want to keep Lumpy around. Seriously, they just gave him a raise last year, so he's good for at least one more year, but the great part about all of this is that Barney tried to emulate Jurich and give his coach a raise early in the season last year to show support, but in Barney's case, it back fired. I actually think he may survive two more years, because those knuckleheads in Lexington actually believe it DOES take 5 years to rebuild a program. :D

You choose.

I choose #2

In all fairness, he should be awarded 1 more year to show improvement in the program AND his own abilities as a head coach. This is his first college head coaching job. 4 years is enough time to prove yourself a success or a failure in the college ranks.

Even bear bryant couldnt win with uks pantywaists

Keep that loser around..he is Joker jr.

Six wins at uk would make a major program offer Stupes? What a joke....8 home games 6 cupcakes ...?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT