ADVERTISEMENT

Strong

IMO...Ain't no recovering from the Bevo Broiler...Strong be Texas toast.

He'll land in Florida somewhere making a great living as a defensive recruiter.

Enjoyed Coaches Strong and Watson while they were here and what they did for us. Who can forget Charlie breaking down in his presser after getting hired or Shaun Watson and Teddy embracing after beating Rutgers.

We all make choices and sometimes the ego takes over and you make a decision you wish you could take back. That's life.

The Louisville football destination is looking better as time goes by.

Wherever he stays or goes....he will be rich. He feathered his bed pretty well

Hard to feel sorry for him.

I don't feel sorry for coach Strong at all. I do feel a ton of gratitude though. The man pulled this program back up from the Kragthorpe ashes and he did it with discipline, honor, and class.

He did a great job for the Cards so he'll always be a rock star in my eyes. I wish him the very best.

Personally, I think that move by Coach Strong to Texas was bad for him and frankly dumb. He had things rolling at Louisville and put together a nice squad. Texas was a mess and Mack Brown didn't do them any favors by sticking around. I just don't see them giving him time to rebuild that program, but I hope that they prove me wrong.

Personally, I think that move by Coach Strong to Texas was bad for him and frankly dumb. He had things rolling at Louisville and put together a nice squad. Texas was a mess and Mack Brown didn't do them any favors by sticking around. I just don't see them giving him time to rebuild that program, but I hope that they prove me wrong.

Yeah, hated to lose him, but the coach we have back is much more preferable!

I will never forget Strong trying to blame us fans for his losses! Enjoy you percious Texas gig, Chalie, while you still can. Time is running out quickly!

Reactions: beasleythecard
I have no sympathies. Jurich gave him the keys when others said, no, and he turned the car back in for something slicker. He made a lot of cash here. Family was embraced. Very little pressure. Got a big leg up to get the next gig. Not blaming him but he made his own bed and now shares it with Bevo and the multiple billionaires of the Long Horn Network. Good luck with that!

I'm VERY happy with the way things have worked out. He'll be working for Urban soon enough, recruiting.

Go Cards!

I think Strong is in over his head at Texas. He did a great job at Louisville and honestly he was a better fit at Louisville. He had Louisville to a level where it could compete for Championships and was moving into the ACC. Then he leaves for a program like Texas just because it is Texas and they can throw money at him. But Texas is a dumpster fire right now and those Boosters at Texas aren't the most patient people. Strong like to just focus on being a Football coach and he had that at Louisville. But I think he is in over his head with what he has to deal with at Texas.

The UT offense is just anemic, they can't make Swoopes a dropback guy and Watson can't adapt his playcalling to help Heard either. This has been coming for a while, Charlies' mindset of just having an offense to spell the defense is proving to be a mirror of his time here. I will always wonder what Teddy could have done with Petrino calling the plays. Charlie has always been conservative, and when the team gets behind there is no comeback ability.

Reactions: American Male
The UT offense is just anemic, they can't make Swoopes a dropback guy and Watson can't adapt his playcalling to help Heard either. This has been coming for a while, Charlies' mindset of just having an offense to spell the defense is proving to be a mirror of his time here. I will always wonder what Teddy could have done with Petrino calling the plays. Charlie has always been conservative, and when the team gets behind there is no comeback ability.
His defense doesn't appear to be getting it done either. He'll end up back in the SEC as a DC like Muschamp.

I think Strong is in over his head at Texas. He did a great job at Louisville and honestly he was a better fit at Louisville. He had Louisville to a level where it could compete for Championships and was moving into the ACC. Then he leaves for a program like Texas just because it is Texas and they can throw money at him. But Texas is a dumpster fire right now and those Boosters at Texas aren't the most patient people. Strong like to just focus on being a Football coach and he had that at Louisville. But I think he is in over his head with what he has to deal with at Texas.

I think you're right. Coach Strong is a football coach first. That's really his comfort zone. Being at fund raising events and rubbing elbows with boosters isn't the part of the game he likes much. He tolerates it because he has to. He didn't have to do a lot of that at Louisville but he's had to in Austin. The 2 things that drive Longhorn country is winning football games and making money. He MUST do both for the Texas program to keep his job.

I question his move to Texas. Like most coaches, he wanted to move toward the top of the food chain. Coaches almost always take better perceived jobs when offered. Sometimes they work out and sometimes they don't. My friend's neighbor is an agent and he said that Strong wasn't really that happy here and they were talking to Arkansas a couple of years before he left for Texas.

I question his move to Texas. Like most coaches, he wanted to move toward the top of the food chain. Coaches almost always take better perceived jobs when offered. Sometimes they work out and sometimes they don't. My friend's neighbor is an agent and he said that Strong wasn't really that happy here and they were talking to Arkansas a couple of years before he left for Texas.

Well my friend's neighbor is the agent for the agent, and I was told the agent wasn't very happy representing coach Strong's agent so he was looking to represent all the Stoops brothers because he wanted more money than he could make off of coach Strong's agent.

Just sayin...........

Yeah, hated to lose him, but the coach we have back is much more preferable!

Bring him back as DC in two years...Gratham will be gone by then and Charlie will NEED a job by then....Also gives Louisville ANOTHER Florida Recruiter!!!

Also bring John L. back as Special Teams Coach...Thats where he SHINES!!!

Now, THAT would be a GREAT Coaching Staff!!!

:)

WISE words Schmidty...GREAT Post!!!

;)

The one factor that often gets overlooked in hiring a coach is everyone on board with the hire. At a place like Texas it is even more important because of the number of people that have real influence is double or triple than what other administration deal with. Charlie wasn't a home run hire. Charlie had no offensive creativity in an conference that requires offensive ingenuity. His defense isn't going to hold those offenses consistently in the low 20's. His offensively philosophy is easy to keep in the low 20's.

What he did at Louisville wasn't going to work at Texas. He is too far from his recruiting base. He has no real ties to Texas. The emergence of TCU and Baylor has made establishing those recruiting roots even tougher. His defense isn't going to be able keep games close enough to allow his limited offense to keep up. He can't just be a coach at Texas he has to do a ton of other things which we all know he isn't good at.

He was never a good fit for Texas and he appears to be very similar to Mushchamp. They know defense and have no clue how on offense. He doesn't even know what to look for in a offensive coach.

This will not end well. Watch for the Houston coach to be a hot item by the end of the year.

I agree, Texas is a giant recruiting bed and Texas has always had its pick of the litter so to speak. Not only do they have to recruit against TCU and Baylor, they've got to recruit against A&M. High school coaches really like those head coaches. Charlie, not so much. He's got to immerse himself with the Texas high school culture. If his ream continues to flounder it might not matter. Charlie would have been a good fit at Tennessee. I wonder if he regrets not taking that job.

Strong could have succeeded at Texas (I still think he might, getting rid of Watson was a GREAT first step). He just picked the worst possible time to take the job. He's a Southern guy who took over a Texas program that hasn't been good for years and he takes over at a time where TCU, A&M and Baylor all have top 10 programs and head coaches that have been in place a while and have been VERY successful. There's already established relationships between these coaches and the local high schools and Charlie is an outsider to them to boot. He's from SEC country.

I still really hope Charlie gets Texas back to their elite status and I don't blame him for taking the job. Texas is the biggest and best job in college football. Charlie is probably slowly learning that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. He was set up beautifully to come in and really battle with FSU and Clemson as the elite top dogs of the ACC. He has his recruiting bases down, his relationships in place, he had the Sugar Bowl success, the NFL Draft success...and he did all of that without the benefit of being in the ACC. His success would have drastically increased by being in the ACC.

I'm extremely happy and feel very fortunate to have gotten Petrino back once Strong left. He was my first choice and I never wavered on that thought...and he's actually recruited better and done better than I thought he would in the short time he's been here. But had Strong never left...there's no doubt that UL would be a top 15 team. There's a lot of things about Strong that I disliked..he never seemed to have a mean streak, he never seemed to like to have fun or let the players have fun...his play calling was ALWAYS conservative...and weirdly, Petrino is the complete opposite in all of those aspects. He embraces the weird uniforms, he tries to curb stomp opponents, his playcalling is typically aggressive...

We're lucky to have Petrino and I really, honestly wish all the best in the world to Charlie Strong and I hope he brings Texas back to elite status but I'm starting to have my doubts.

I am not a Strong supporter. He did a good job his last two years against week competition. But Bridgewater and Hurt made him look better than he is. He has been exposed in Texas. I for one am glad Texas took him. Charlie Strong is much like John L. Smith was, both are full of thier self! Both found where they are on the coaching food chain!

He bashed the fans here and left us at the worst time leaving our new coaching staff scrambling for recruits. I appreciate what he did for us while here but I have no hard feelings for what happens to him at Texas either. He made his bed full of Texas money....let him lay in it.

I expect to see him back in the state of Florida in no less than 2 years, either at UCF ad the head man or as an assistant somewhere else.

He bashed the fans here and left us at the worst time leaving our new coaching staff scrambling for recruits. I appreciate what he did for us while here but I have no hard feelings for what happens to him at Texas either. He made his bed full of Texas money....let him lay in it.

I expect to see him back in the state of Florida in no less than 2 years, either at UCF ad the head man or as an assistant somewhere else.

Yeah. He was the very FIRST UofL coach to leave the Cards in January........

He'll be HEAD COACH at USCjr when Spurrier retires.

Also 9 of those record 10 players drafted were his. Some of you'll are
great Cards fans.........

I saw a picture of strong doing the longhorns hand symbol hours after taking the job. I've yet to see him throwing the L. He used us as a stepping stone which helped each of us. He is a great recruiter but without Bridgewater I question how good his success here would have been. He struck while the iron was hot.

Reactions: pervisl
I saw a picture of strong doing the longhorns hand symbol hours after taking the job. I've yet to see him throwing the L. He used us as a stepping stone which helped each of us. He is a great recruiter but without Bridgewater I question how good his success here would have been. He struck while the iron was hot.
I'm pretty sure we would have won between 5-8 games each of those years without Teddy. Our offense would have been horrible without Teddy, so maybe 3-7 wins each season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT