ADVERTISEMENT

Stockman Needs To Change His Attitude

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
Matz Stockman, a 7-foot sophomore who made a ton of progress this past season, was able to get on the floor and play in competitive games because of the Mahmoud and Mathiang injuries. But, Pitino said, Stockman has to tweak a "major, major character flaw."

"Matz has to stop beating himself up every time he makes a mistake," Pitino said. "If he misses a shot, he gets embarrassed. If he doesn’t do something well, he hangs his head. We’ve got to get him to change that. We’ve had great difficulty trying to change that."

Interesting I didn't know that about Stockman being so hard on himself. He just has to learn not to hang his head after a mistake and keep playing hard and trying to improve.

I'll say what i said back in 2006. I wish Coach Pitino would lock ALL the frontline players in a gym with Charles Oakley, and not let them out until Oak says theyre ready.

Reactions: shadow force
It's no secret that guys like Anas and Matz need to learn to be more aggressive on the court. It is hard for some guys as they don't have a mean streak in them. Matz just needs to work on improving his game and not care so much if he messes up.

It's no secret that guys like Anas and Matz need to learn to be more aggressive on the court. It is hard for some guys as they don't have a mean streak in them. Matz just needs to work on improving his game and not care so much if he messes up.
Maybe he should spend the summer playing pickup games against Grayson Allen.

The young man needs to understand that the game of basketball is a game of mistakes. No matter how hard you try, mistakes are going to be made. It is impossible to eliminate all the mistakes from a basketball game. A team could have zero turnovers in 40 minutes of play and the game would still be full of mistakes. A missed defensive assignment. A screen missed or not set when it was meant to be set. A wrong way cut on a play. Losing your man on a switch. All (and much more) are just built in mistakes which happen all the time. Matz is going to be a terrific player for the Cards, but he has to let those little mistakes go and focus on the next play at hand. Once he does that, he'll be a force.

It is difficult to say don't let mistakes bother you when you have a team that is really deep in the front court. It's easy for us to say and CRP to say publicly, but how many mistakes can you make and not end up back on the bench? As with Anas, he needs to get stronger and more physical. Confidence will come along with that.

Reactions: shadow force
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT