ADVERTISEMENT

Who is Kenny Payne?

TheRealVille

5000+
Apr 27, 2015
I mean who is the man really? What kind of person does it take to keep digging a grave for himself and the institution he works for?

How does someone continue to put himself out in front of a speeding train and pretend it's not going to run him over? Does he not care, not just about the University, but his own legacy?

More fans are hating on him that will ever praise him. In fact, he would make more people happy than anytime in his life if he stepped down. How does a person live with that fact and why would he continue to do it?

Some say it's the millions of dollars but he's already a millionaire. There's other ways to generate lots of money without embarrassing yourself and destroying a once proud program.

Why would he continue to coach players who obviously don't respect or believe that he's worth giving the extra needed to succeed? No one sees a bond with him and the players, as the Koron Davis mystery has shown.

Most people would have quit by now, realizing that the job is over their head and each time they go out there, they are just adding another log onto the raging fire. If he cared for the players, the fans, the program and especially his own self, he would step down admitting that he isn't ready for such a lofty position. He's not the first person to realize this and he won't be the last.

Who says that kenSucky is not paying him a few extra million behind the scenes to tank the program and once he's done they take him back on staff with open arms?

Who says that kenSucky is not paying him a few extra million behind the scenes to tank the program and once he's done they take him back on staff with open arms?
Well I say that's a ridiculous notion. These results go on KP's resume. He's the one who looks like an idiot, thinking he can be a head coach at this level.

For that silly notion to mean anything, he would need to own up to it, so people would know he's not really that bad a coach.

No, UK has nothing to do with this debacle. This is just someone milking all the money he can get and hoping at the same time it will get better. This is a University more concerned about engineering social justice than the success of the men's basketball program.

If KP was an honorable man, he would step down and save his Alma mater from utter destruction.

I believe sometimes we over analyze it.

He's just one of the worst HC's ever in all key facets. Maybe the worst.

The bigger question is when does somebody put an end to him doing that coaching here.

I do understand the interest of wondering what he's thinking, but I personally don't care anymore.

Honestly, he's just stupid. Very stupid.
Probably but, there have been coaches who were dipshits and we’re still successful - particularly when viewed against the historically bad tenure of Kenny the Terrible.

His main problem is that he is simply not a leader. He is unable to communicate his - or any other - vision and have people willing to follow him.

What an absolutely absurd and moronic statement.

Who is Kenny Payne? Look / listen no further than this presser - it’ll tell you all you need.

I particularly like the part where he equates the fans to “clutter from the outside”.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
I’ll tell you who he is. He is the most overrated name ever associated with UK. I’ve told my boys for years that Payne didn’t do anything at UK except work with the bigs. You’ll hear our fans go crazy over his work with them. So just ask yourself, how much work did it take to get KAT, Bam, or AD to perform? Payne didn’t recruit for us at all. He was gifted great players and got credit for them being born, somehow.

I said repeatedly before he was ever mentioned to go back to Louisville that he was not head coach material. When Calipari would be tossed Payne would take over and we always looked like
Crap.

He never had the head man swagger. He just stood there and smiled. I called this a mile away. I got so sick of hearing what a great guy he is, so what? This is sports he’s not an English teacher at a primary school. Whothe hell wants a nice man? Calipari, Pitino, Coach K these are NOT nice men, lol.

I have had countless conversations with our fans (UK) that Payne is the most overrated name ever associated with Kentucky basketball, and he would fail at UL. You’d be surprised how many UK fans disagreed with me. They never admit it even today. Payne has made relationships with the right people, that’s why he’s where he is. It’s not about talent because he really doesn’t have any.

To me, imo, there is one guy that fits the bill for UL. He would win immediately and give Calipari a ton of problems. I actually wanted him at UK until the recent issues, but I don’t think I’d care about that if I was UL.

You want the reasonable candidate, who’s affordable, and who will win? Chris Beard. Next name I’d call, Mussleman. If it happened to go down to another name, I’d hire Will Wade.

One would take it and all would probably do well. This isn’t rocket science, I don’t know why it has to be this hard for administrations.

Last edited:

Who is Kenny Payne? Look / listen no further than this presser - it’ll tell you all you need.

I particularly like the part where he equates the fans to “clutter from the outside”.

He talks the same as Calipari. Calipari is known to hate fans everywhere he goes. He’s just playing the party line he learned from his teacher. Calipari always uses the line “clutter”. Payne is a joke, he was a joke for us, and I pray when UL fires him Calipari doesn’t hire him back, but he probably will.

It's just an arrogance thing. Guys that get this high up are gonna have that. Most reign it in better. His problem here is he sucks.

There is an interesting video of KP while at UK, posted by Nick Coffey, about the winning mentality at Kentucky. It was all about a winning attitude and accountability. Instead we got the opposite winning, losing don’t matter. Players being broken etc.

Stunning to be honest. The way he has handle this program is completely opposite of what he was taught under Crum and while at UK. Take the UK hate out of it they win and it is a mentality. He decides after getting a top 10 job to do the complete opposite of what got him the job.

I am not a conspiracy guy but take it all in was he just trying to get fire from the jump? How else can you explain the way he ran the program?

There is an interesting video of KP while at UK, posted by Nick Coffey, about the winning mentality at Kentucky. It was all about a winning attitude and accountability. Instead we got the opposite winning, losing don’t matter. Players being broken etc.

Stunning to be honest. The way he has handle this program is completely opposite of what he was taught under Crum and while at UK. Take the UK hate out of it they win and it is a mentality. He decides after getting a top 10 job to do the complete opposite of what got him the job.

I am not a conspiracy guy but take it all in was he just trying to get fire from the jump? How else can you explain the way he ran the program?
Easier to be confident with nba all stars. Fake juice. Coaching regular standard guys requires real work and actual coaching abilities not required with nba all stars.

He has a low opinion of the players he inherited. He probably wanted all of them to transfer but didn't realize he couldn't replace them with nba guys.

I think the difference from that video to what you saw here day 1 is lack of dudes.

So then shift focus to things other than results.

Not sure he has a high opinion of the program. It's OK to lose here but not down the road. Years of nba guys and UK guys in nba with him distort his thoughts.

Payne wasn’t the head coach at Kentucky…End of discussion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT