ADVERTISEMENT

Spalding

That's a little harsh but he has regressed quite a bit this year. Not sure what his deal is. Seems emotionless most of the time

Reactions: beasleythecard
That's a little harsh but he has regressed quite a bit this year. Not sure what his deal is. Seems emotionless most of the time

A guy I sit next to at the games calls him the "Tin Man". Plays with no heart, no passion, no emotion. You get the feeling he doesn't like basketball. I hope he finds it because he has the measurable to make a lot of money some day.

Reactions: real2it
Are you kidding me? Soft as hell, he is indoubtly the softest big in the history of our program. Brings ZERO offensively to our team, absolutely horrible.
His coach padget is the softest so he can only be what he is coached to be.

Been getting ripped for saying it all season.

You can only be what you are coached to be and padget is soft .... So every big he coaches is soft as running water.

You can only be what you are coached to be and padget is soft .... So every big he coaches is soft as running water.

Blaming Padgett for him not playing with passion is laughable. Its an intangible, meaning its not something one can teach.

Reactions: BPGhost
No offense, but you are totally wrong about Padgett. He was not soft, not the most athletics but was not soft. He banged down low and ran the offense from the center position. He gave everything he had, and I like Spalding but he makes it too easy on the refs. I know he's skinny but he doesn't initiate any contact for a big man.

No offense, but you are totally wrong about Padgett. He was not soft, not the most athletics but was not soft. He banged down low and ran the offense from the center position. He gave everything he had, and I like Spalding but he makes it too easy on the refs. I know he's skinny but he doesn't initiate any contact for a big man.

Spot on every single word.

Montrezl and Onuaku seem to have benefitted from the soft as running water coaching they received
To say that padgett had any influence on the play of montrezl is very generous.

So sticking with that. He had had mathiang
Matz
Johnson
Adel
Spalding
And Anas

Why has he not duplicated his success with any of them since he made montrezl who he is?

Please stop it man.

Great win by UNC

hopefully rick starts to play king over Adel and anas over mathiang amd gives us a chance to win bringing them off the bench in short spurts.

Otherwise it will be a short season

Are you kidding me? Soft as hell, he is indoubtly the softest big in the history of our program. Brings ZERO offensively to our team, absolutely horrible.
Absolutely wish we had a better guy coaching the bigs.

We can only be what the coach is.
Padgett was a freethrow extended handoff guy. Not a banger.

So all we will be under padget is a handoff setting picks type of team with out bigs.

With the advantage in size you would think we would use that aize to abuse teams, but no, we are a team of 5 seven footers handing the ball off at the top of the key like quarterbacks.

To say that padgett had any influence on the play of montrezl is very generous.

So sticking with that. He had had mathiang
Matz
Johnson
Adel
Spalding
And Anas

Why has he not duplicated his success with any of them since he made montrezl who he is?

Please stop it man.

Great win by UNC

hopefully rick starts to play king over Adel and anas over mathiang amd gives us a chance to win bringing them off the bench in short spurts.

Otherwise it will be a short season

I think you know sports, so I assume you can see that King cannot play defense well at this point.

Does he get credit for Onuaku?

I think you know sports, so I assume you can see that King cannot play defense well at this point.

Does he get credit for Onuaku?
If i blindfolded some of the people in section 116 they could play defense better than adel.

He hot abused tonight.

The missed shots. The missed dunks. And you have a scoring machine on the bench because you dont want him to be a 1 and done.

Im pissed.

If i was a teammate of spalding mangok and adel they would have the entire team looking at them in a meeting and would have to explain why they are playing so bad.

Maybe even catch some heat......

There comes a time when a team has to grow up. We keep waiting on this team to take that next step. When the lights are on they clam up.

Its maddening.

Gn knucklehank.

Hopefully we learn from this and start anas and king the rest of the year. And hopefully pitino loosens his rotation.

Was looking for levitch to spell mitchell.

Frustrated with this season.

Will never understand why adel gets minutes over king.

Pissed.

Sorry but you're wrong, Padgett battled down low in addition to being a distributor. He just didn't have the athleticism as some of these guys. Rebounding does not require athleticism, it's an attitude and it's hard to teach that if you don't have it. I still think Ray has a lot of upside and hopefully he will "get it" at some point. Also, as much as I love Pitino, not one of these guys were big time prospects, and I'm ok with that, because they show improvement. I would like to win the National Championship every year also, but did you forget that the last time we were in the tournament we were within a free throw of the final four? You may not think that's an accomplishment but as long as we're in the hunt regularly I feel that's pretty exciting and worth all the emotional investment. In perspective , Ky thinks they should win the championship every single year but in the history of college basketball they have won 8 in over 100 years of basketball. I'm not complacent but have a little perspective.

Reactions: tn00nan
but did you forget that the last time we were in the tournament we were within a free throw of the final four?
Free throws?
Like the thousands we missed tonight?

What player has the responsibility of preventing us from 2 final fours personally? MM

Free throws. Lmao

You would think that they be required to shoot 100 free throws a day for life. We dont and it shows.

We stunk it up today.

Go Cards.

I agree with you there, the free throws were unacceptable. We may not win, but good grief, shoot 50% and we're in the game

Pitino has no favorites. The right guys are playing.

Adel has issues. King has bigger issues.

Anas plays well. In some games. Not enough games. Mangok gets minutes as a result.

These guys simply choked tonite. You don't react to that by shooting more free throws. It's mental preparation. If anything, lock them OUT of the gym for a couple days.

In the same environment, the same guys played better and gutted out a win over a good Syracuse team last week. Hard to explain, but it has little do with coaching or who's getting playing time.

Next game...

Reactions: fredburgcard
Spalding

Product_Detail_HighRes_Soft_1.jpg

Sorry to inform you but hall of fame big men say different.

As long as padgett is the big man coach expect more of the same.
Which specific "hall of fame big men" say that you can coach heart? In the lexicon of silly things that you've said, that's got to be in the top ten. Spalding plays small on offense, doesn't use his 7'4" wingspan and keep the ball high and as a result, he gets his shot rejected about 50% of the time. Because of this he has has zero confidence on the offensive end and has taken to simply throwing the ball up (usually over his shoulder) before it can be rejected. You mention Padgett being a poor coach - go back and watch some tape of him - he NEVER brought the ball down low where it could be stripped or have his shot blocked at shoulder level.

You can coach fundamentals - footwork, shot fakes, etc - but you can't coach intensity or motor. You don't think that Harrell was coached into having the type of motor he has - do you? Pitino has said it about a million times - Spalding doesn't do anything outside of mandatory stuff. I'm with other posters who question his actual love of the game or desire to be great.

He has your typical millennial mentality. No heart, no toughness, lazy, and thinks everything is going to be handed to him with no effort of his own.

He just carries himself in a manner that I cant really put into words..He has to drive Pitino crazy. I love the rest of the guys on this team.

Reactions: beasleythecard
Sorry but you're wrong, Padgett battled down low in addition to being a distributor. He just didn't have the athleticism as some of these guys. Rebounding does not require athleticism, it's an attitude and it's hard to teach that if you don't have it. I still think Ray has a lot of upside and hopefully he will "get it" at some point. Also, as much as I love Pitino, not one of these guys were big time prospects, and I'm ok with that, because they show improvement. I would like to win the National Championship every year also, but did you forget that the last time we were in the tournament we were within a free throw of the final four? You may not think that's an accomplishment but as long as we're in the hunt regularly I feel that's pretty exciting and worth all the emotional investment. In perspective , Ky thinks they should win the championship every single year but in the history of college basketball they have won 8 in over 100 years of basketball. I'm not complacent but have a little perspective.

Padgett had a ton of brains. He was like a point center. His intelligence made up for any lack of athleticism.

Ray needs to get out of the tattoo parlor, AND INTO THE WEIGHT ROOM!!! If I'm Rick it's change your ways or hit the door! Wasted potential.

Reactions: tluck28
He has your typical millennial mentality. No heart, no toughness, lazy, and thinks everything is going to be handed to him with no effort of his own.

He just carries himself in a manner that I cant really put into words..He has to drive Pitino crazy. I love the rest of the guys on this team.
Could it be genetics? Anybody remember Manuel Forrest? He had the highest ranking of any high school kid to come out of Louisville. He's Ray uncle. What happened? He didn't live up to the hype and expectations until his senior year when the light came on. Back then they had the Parade All American team and he was first team. From that team Forrest was the only one who didn't get a sniff in the NBA but did play professional ball. Some of the same things said about Forrest, they are now saying about Ray and it doesn't have anything to do with Padgett being soft...

Could it be genetics? Anybody remember Manuel Forrest? He had the highest ranking of any high school kid to come out of Louisville. He's Ray uncle. What happened? He didn't live up to the hype and expectations until his senior year when the light came on. Back then they had the Parade All American team and he was first team. From that team Forrest was the only one who didn't get a sniff in the NBA but did play professional ball. Some of the same things said about Forrest, they are now saying about Ray and it doesn't have anything to do with Padgett being soft...
I remember Manuel Forrest, and in fairness to him, he blew out his knee early on in his college career and never really was the same player after the injury.

I don't much care for bashing our own players so I refrain from that. Critiquing a player and bashing them are two different things. I personally believe every young man on the roster deserves respect for choosing the Cardinals basketball program in the first place. ALL of them want to do the very best they can. Bashing them openly does nothing for them or the program. It's just hot air by a few blow hard fans who think they know more than they actually do. The ignore button is always an option if certain people who post here can't or won't understand that.

It just gets old seeing the same people complaining about these kids after each loss when the truth is they don't know their own ass from their elbow when it comes to coaching.

Ray is the leading rebounder on the team in ACC play. At least a good portion of that is desire and motor. If he had a semblance of an offensive game he would be looked at a bit differently but yes I can understand some of the frustration with him.

He is still only a sophomore and has time to improve, a lot of which is UP TO HIM, because the coaches can't do everything for him. Pitino said Ray only does the minimum in the off season. That has to change if he wants to truly improve. A lot of that responsibility is up to one person and that is Ray.

I've noticed you take a contrarian position on basically everything. Is this shtick or are you really completely miserable?

I've noticed you take a contrarian position on basically everything. Is this shtick or are you really completely miserable?
Shtick. Decided after the bailout arena posts to be the contrarian guy and defend the dark perspective.
To ask the darkest question that comes to mind.

Actually a very funny, fun loving person. Diehard cardinal fan that wants to see the effort from every player.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
Shtick. Decided after the bailout arena posts to be the contrarian guy and defend the dark perspective.
To ask the darkest question that comes to mind.

Actually a very funny, fun loving person. Diehard cardinal fan that wants to see the effort from every player.
For what purpose? The questions don't seem dark, just typical of someone who may not be very knowledgeable. And so you don't believe anything you have been posting?

Reactions: Cue Card
Ray,like the other bigs,could really help themselves by using shot fakes to neutralize their defenders.Either make better moves with the ball or kick it to somebody open.Same can be said for almost all the frontcourt.

I remember Manuel Forrest, and in fairness to him, he blew out his knee early on in his college career and never really was the same player after the injury.

I don't much care for bashing our own players so I refrain from that. Critiquing a player and bashing them are two different things. I personally believe every young man on the roster deserves respect for choosing the Cardinals basketball program in the first place. ALL of them want to do the very best they can. Bashing them openly does nothing for them or the program. It's just hot air by a few blow hard fans who think they know more than they actually do. The ignore button is always an option if certain people who post here can't or won't understand that.

It just gets old seeing the same people complaining about these kids after each loss when the truth is they don't know their own ass from their elbow when it comes to coaching.
Meh....when you get a full paid scholly to a school that costs the regular kid thousands and thousands of dollars, you can be critiqued. I would agree to a degree, we shouldn't bash bash bash....but damn, he just has a lazy swagger about him.

Its sad really. I hope that at the least he is doing well in his classes so he can make a living after college doing something. Basketball sure as hell aint going to pay the bills for him.

Ditto Cue. Forrest severely injured his knee his sophomore year and never physically recovered from it. His Senior year he played as gutty as any UL player I've ever seen on basically one leg. His final game against UK in the NCAA he also had a sprained ankle and never let up. If Ray has inherited any genes from his uncle, the team would be well served.

Sheesh, you're a little harsh, no? Softest big in the history of the program? Lol he's not even the softest big on THIS YEARS team(Matz). Spalding played well in the non-con and I will be the first to admit he has regressed during conference play...but softest big in the history of the program? Get real. Some of you guys absolutely lose it when a bunch of 18-22 year olds lose a basketball game. We have a final four caliber team. It was a tough road game that we lost to a final four caliber team as well(who got every bounce and roll to go there way, might I add.) This thread is garbage, some of you guys need a drink or 30. We're fine, I love our team. These types of threads belong on CrapsPause. Peace.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT