ADVERTISEMENT

Same ol sh$#

TheRealVille

5000+
Apr 27, 2015
Cook has no business playing first base. He's a liability defensively. Anderson should play first while McCoy catches.

Cook can't field short hop throws and it cost the Cards the lead.

Appears we are not as deep as we should be. Add the pitching being mediocre at best, we are not a good team. Our conference record is still under water, something we have never been.

Once again Hawks proves he should be pulled after 5 innings and our esteemed coaching staff still can't figure that out.

I have never seen anything like it. How consistently a manager leaves ineffective pitchers in the game.

When Hawks walked the leadoff batter on 5 pitches to start the 6th inning, McDonnell should have pulled him then. We just got a 2 run shot from King to take a 2 run lead, so one would think McDonnell would have been ready to pull Hawks.

But unfortunately he does not and Hawks next pitch goes for a game tying 2 run homer. Then he takes him out. Go figure.

If we lose this game it's one more mismanaged defeat we've seen this season.

Well, they are now down by 3. Not looking good. Terrible pitcher management-no excuse.

Reactions: Deeva
I feel the same frustration and disappointment as expressed here and beyond. My one comment is really in defense of the coaching staff, as I am not sure how any coach can predict how the kids perform; for example, Cook‘s inability to dig out the throw in the dirt is out of the staff’s control, and while I too believe Hawks 4 pitch walk was a signal to me; I have witnessed many more instances where this staff left a pitcher in, when I would have pulled them, only to see them work out of a jam.

Yes, this team may very well be done, as King’s 2 run shot giving us a lead was so short-lived that I got a sense this roster may have lost confidence in itself.

Reactions: Deeva
The thing with Hawks….this is the pattern he has displayed pretty much all season. Not rocket science.

Reactions: rh62531
It is pretty clear 3rd time through they have him figured out. Hard to blame them for praying he can go deeper into the game because there are only a couple guys you can trust in the pen. When they were lighting up the score board in the fall we know why. That was also what is proving to be against average bats.

You are what you are record wise they aren’t a good team. It is a really thin line between winning and losing. This whole year has come down to getting a key hit or pitch or out at the right time. They did it in one conference series. All the rest they failed to make that kind of play. Last year more times than not came up with the big play.

It is pretty clear 3rd time through they have him figured out. Hard to blame them for praying he can go deeper into the game because there are only a couple guys you can trust in the pen…
This. How can you be too critical about over-reliance on your starter(s) when you have no confidence in the bullpen?

At some point you look to other arms, as what do you have to lose?

Actually 3 runs are insufficient to win these days, so I am not sure pitching is as much of an issue, as ou inability to hit, avoid committing infield errors and being thrown out over I’ll-advised base running.

Agree about “looking to other arms.” But it’s only a possible solution in a given game—which might not be known except in hindsight—and not necessarily THE solution to our pitching issues. We simply can’t know that based on a spectator’s experience.

Also agree that we can’t single out one issue. Fielding and defense have also been problematic along with clutch hitting and base running.

Doubtful that CDM is having much fun coaching at the moment…

The Cards may not only not make the postseason, they are at severe risk of missing the ACCT. Only 12 teams qualify, and the Cards are sub .400 in conference play.

Reminder that UofL was ranked as high as 6th just over a month ago.

2nd half season collapse of epic proportions.

Epic indeed and the veterans on this team squarely on the hook. Will they go out like this or get it turned around real soon in time to save grace?

Epic indeed and the veterans on this team squarely on the hook. Will they go out like this or get it turned around real soon in time to save grace?
I’ve asked myself if leadership is an issue. Vets and frosh/newbies haven’t put it together.

Actually 3 runs are insufficient to win these days, so I am not sure pitching is as much of an issue, as ou inability to hit, avoid committing infield errors and being thrown out over I’ll-advised base running.
Yeah, we're hardly being fair minded if we only include the pitching staff when it comes to the problems on this team..

Reactions: the artist FKA zipp
It certainly does not help when you lose all of your catchers. As in 4. I get it, the problems where there before we lost the catchers but injuries have been a persistent problem specifically late in the season. Get 3/4 healthy for next season and be make some major adjustments via the portal. Stick a fork in this year.

It certainly does not help when you lose all of your catchers. As in 4. I get it, the problems where there before we lost the catchers but injuries have been a persistent problem specifically late in the season. Get 3/4 healthy for next season and be make some major adjustments via the portal. Stick a fork in this year.
Yep. Cards are capable of going 0-4 this week with #5 Vandy tomorrow, and #21 UVA @ UVA. Close the season with hosting NKU and FSU. The good news is while UofL is the second worse team in the Atlantic, FSU is the worst.

If the Cards win out, maybe they'll make the post season. Highly doubtful that happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: putter23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT