ADVERTISEMENT

Rupp's Rafters and "Blue Blood Programs"

Not necessarily apples to apples, either. The NCAA Tournament is much like the Bowl Games. The big money goes to the NCAA and conferences, with a stipend to the schools. If we want to keep the comparison proper, we should separate regular season from post season in each sport...
Not quite sure what you're saying so I can't tell if you understand how the NCAA funds itself. 80% of the NCAA's $870 million in annual revenue comes from the NCAA tournament. Yes, bowl games are postseason competition like the NCAA tourney that generate a lotta money in each sport. But that's where the similarity ends.

How about we siphon off $700 million from college football each year for the NCAA, distribute what's left to the conferences, and let basketball keep all of its money? Think the SEC would have a problem with that??

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/finances/revenue

"Elite program", my a$$...

Reactions: gocds
I did hear today that 28 million people watched the UK/Wisky game last year, and only 11.5 million watched each final four game this year. At any rate, the game tonight was an all timer.

I did hear today that 28 million people watched the UK/Wisky game last year, and only 11.5 million watched each final four game this year. At any rate, the game tonight was an all timer.
A more equitable distribution between football and basketball--and among the individual schools playing those sports--shouldn't really affect LPT because LPT should receive damn near all of the basketball money that the SEC receives. It IS SEC basketball, and everyone knows that.

In your example, basketball revenue overall could decline, and the SEC's share of that could decline as well. But in a pay-for-performance world, LPT will be fine and so will the ACC. Your school won't receive much money in football, but neither will Alabama in basketball. And if the NCAA didn't raid the basketball "account " only for its expenses, the football powers wouldn't be quite as powerful.

It's in all of our best interests to make that happen...

Reactions: JohnKBA
The problem is that NCAA basketball is a small fish in a big pond. The MLB all star game drew the same number of viewers as this year's final four, and it was an all time low for the all star game. 53 million people watched the gold medal hockey game in 2010. HOCKEY. I love NCAA basketball with all my heart, but it's a niche sport.

The problem is that NCAA basketball is a small fish in a big pond. The MLB all star game drew the same number of viewers as this year's final four, and it was an all time low for the all star game. 53 million people watched the gold medal hockey game in 2010. HOCKEY. I love NCAA basketball with all my heart, but it's a niche sport.
Broadcasters are starved for content and will remain that way due to fierce competition. College basketball may be in decline, but that doesn't mean it's not lucrative.

The key for schools like yours and ours is getting what we're due. It's not by allowing the status quo to continue. No chance in hell any school in the SEC should ever get close to the money that LPT receives in basketball from the NCAA tourney. That's gotta be a two way street as the football schools will demand. But as long as you're one of the haves in your sport and your sport doesn't get messed over by the NCAA and your conference, you will be fine for a long time.

And that pay-for-performance world will eventually lead to real improvement in your football program. Presently, you can be bad in football and still not suffer financially. That shouldn't be the case. It will also lead to improvement in SEC basketball for the same reason. If you're underperforming, it oughta hit your bank account big time...

BTW I alluded to this earlier...the bucks for a "dying event" are hardly going away...
Absolutely. College basketball is highly lucrative and highly sought. And it needs to be fully exploited by the major programs like UNC that define the sport. This contract won't materialize if those schools decide they want to do business differently. CBS and the NCAA understand that...

Don't forget Couch Patrols...one of our football violations was an ex-teammate of two of our guys let them sleep at his apartment one night during a NY visit. Since he was an alum/pro player it was ruled an impermissible benefit. :)

Don't forget Couch Patrols...one of our football violations was an ex-teammate of two of our guys let them sleep at his apartment one night during a NY visit. Since he was an alum/pro player it was ruled an impermissible benefit. :)

I agree. The only difference is you're willing to write it off as incompetence, while I see it as intentional. After all, they never get sloppy when it comes to getting those paychecks....or the Dookies.

It was a great game. Last years games were on CBS, this years were on cable, that is where the huge disparity is.

Reactions: American Male
It was a great game. Last years games were on CBS, this years were on cable, that is where the huge disparity is.

Yeah, I wonder why they did that? I mean viewers sell advertising, right? Seems to me that you'd want to maximize those heads.

The title game was fantastic. You really couldn't ask for anything more.

Reactions: American Male
CBS, Turner Sign $8.8 Billion Extension On NCAA Tournament Broadcast

Under the agreement, all opening, first and second round games will continue to air across TBS, CBS, TNT and truTV with Turner and CBS splitting coverage of the regional semi-finals and regional finals each year. Live coverage of the Final Four national semi finals and national championships will continue to alternate between CBS and Turner each year.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...rnament-broadcast_us_570d6470e4b0836057a2bb8c

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT