ADVERTISEMENT

Rupp's Rafters and "Blue Blood Programs"

I think he was full of crap about renegotiating too. I don't know about peanuts...the championship game has seen double digit declines and inconsistency. That's not good for forecasting which is how you determine what to pay. Besides, by the time 2024 comes around Nike will be touting eight graders as the next big/little "thing". Instead of burger boys they can be the chicken nuggets.

Last edited:
And it will still fall far short of what the NBA will receive next year when their TV Deal is up....also, when the B1G TV Contract is up they will receive a huge bump due to College Football....the exploding revenue in college athletics is due to Football...not Basketball...Football drives the bus in College Sports. We don't even want to go with what the NFL receives....over $3 Billion a year from TV alone...a deal that was made in 2011...watch and see what it rises up to when it up for renewal in about 3 and a half years.

The NCAA makes between 80% and 81% of their total revenues from the NCAA Basketball Tournament thru payments for TV rights from TBS/CBS. About 11% comes from merchandising and tickets to sponsored NCAA title events such as the basketball tourney games. Morons have been using that football pays the bills for the NCAA argument for years and it's still a bunch of crap. Use Google...try NCAA revenue basketball tournament. You can gripe about the amount divided between Div I II and II schools if you want but don't be a complete idiot when it comes to the basic facts.

Last edited:
Reactions: American Male
College basketball generates a lotta revenue. It's just that, unlike football, the schools don't see as much of it. There's no reason that should be the case; it needs to change.

And the big dog at the basketball table--which is far and away the ACC--needs to make sure that happens and soon.

"Elite program", my a$$...

The NCAA makes between 80% and 81% of their total revenues from the NCAA Basketball Tournament thru payments for TV rights from TBS/CBS. About 11% comes from merchandising and tickets to sponsored NCAA title events such as the basketball tourney games. Morons have been using that football pays the bills for the NCAA argument for years and it's still a bunch of crap. Use Google...try NCAA revenue basketball tournament. You can gripe about the amount divided between Div I II and II schools if you want but don't be a complete idiot when it comes to the basic facts.

Football is the driving force...just look at Conference realignment...and Zipp is correct, the NCAA makes it $$$ off the Tournament but the actual schools especially in the P5 make it off Football...there is a reason why the SEC brings home $10 Million more per school from TV Revenue over ACC, Big XII & Pac 12 Schools.

Bill Derington, post: 287544, member: 3852"]"If there were only 16 teams in the tourney this year UNC's road would've been much tougher up until this point."

So you're saying 5 wins to get to the championship is easier than 3 wins? OK, I get it. You graduated from the Eric Bledsoe School of Algebra for kids who want to cipher good.

UNC has yet to play a team higher than a 5 seed. More games does not equate to a tougher task.

No one they've played yet besides possibly IU even be in 16 team field.

UNC has yet to play a team higher than a 5 seed. More games does not equate to a tougher task.

No one they've played yet besides possibly IU even be in 16 team field.
That's the advantage of earning a 1 seed and taking care of business. It's not UNC's fault that the #2, #3, and #4 teams lost in that bracket. You're going to complain about that?

We'll see what happens tonight. UNC might get smoked because I personally think Nova is playing the best defense in the country. Regardless, there is one thing I know for sure WILL happen tonight, and I'm as sure of this as I'm sure the sun will set. There WILL be some no life slapdick in the crowd with a UofK T-shirt on. Wait, watch, and see.

That's the advantage of earning a 1 seed and taking care of business. It's not UNC's fault that the #2, #3, and #4 teams lost in that bracket. You're going to complain about that?

We'll see what happens tonight. UNC might get smoked because I personally think Nova is playing the best defense in the country. Regardless, there is one thing I know for sure WILL happen tonight, and I'm as sure of this as I'm sure the sun will set. There WILL be some no life slapdick in the crowd with a UofK T-shirt on. Wait, watch, and see.

I don't even care that much about College Basketball...only watch the Conference/NCAA Tournament..but I'm rooting for UNC just to hear the screams of certain fanbases...it is hilarious the hoops they jump through to put them down.

Plus nothing is going to happen to them...got a sneaking suspicion that the worst is over for Louisville and that will drive them crazy.

I don't even care that much about College Basketball...only watch the Conference/NCAA Tournament..but I'm rooting for UNC just to hear the screams of certain fanbases...it is hilarious the hoops they jump through to put them down.

Plus nothing is going to happen to them...got a sneaking suspicion that the worst is over for Louisville and that will drive them crazy.

I think UNC will get a lot more than others think!

IMHO, the NCAA will take away some victories...100+ (No Titles though)...Suspend Roy for 10-12 games...Four years probation and 5-8 ships over that time period, like they did to Syracuse!

IMHO, the NCAA will suspend RP for 10 games...EVEN though he says he didn't know (WON'T Skate like CAL at U-Mass and Memphis), and reduce the ships at UofL 1 per year for 4 years, and two years probation.

JMHO!

:cool:

Reactions: The Public Enemy
I think UNC will get a lot more than others think!

IMHO, the NCAA will take away some victories...100+ (No Titles though)...Suspend Roy for 10-12 games...Four years probation and 5-8 ships over that time period, like they did to Syracuse!

IMHO, the NCAA will suspend RP for 10 games...EVEN though he says he didn't know (WON'T Skate like CAL at U-Mass and Memphis), and reduce the ships at UofL 1 per year for 4 years, and two years probation.

JMHO!

That would be the worst case and the screams from certain segments of fans would be deafening

That would be the worst case and the screams from certain segments of fans would be deafening

The Heels will have to sit out a tourney or two because of how hard they pushed back against the NCAA...Louisville is safe because of the self ban this year!

The Heels will have to sit out a tourney or two because of how hard they pushed back against the NCAA...Louisville is safe because of the self ban this year!

Don't feel they will make UNC Men Basketball sit out...just myself the NCAA would hit the Women Team with the Ban...call me jaded but the NCAA will protect one of their $$$$ makers.

Reactions: Bill Derington
College basketball generates a lotta revenue. It's just that, unlike football, the schools don't see as much of it. There's no reason that should be the case; it needs to change.

And the big dog at the basketball table--which is far and away the ACC--needs to make sure that happens and soon.

"Elite program", my a$$...

Not necessarily apples to apples, either. The NCAA Tournament is much like the Bowl Games. The big money goes to the NCAA and conferences, with a stipend to the schools. If we want to keep the comparison proper, we should separate regular season from post season in each sport.

For regular season, you have conference TV rights, including private networks. That is driven primarily by football, but spills over to basketball too. If the ACC wants more than what they are getting, they control their Conference TV negotiating rights.

It should not be necessary to explain to Kensucky fans that UNC has done something this year they obviously failed to accomplish...that being they have beaten everyone placed in front of them in Tournaments. :)

Hey, I'm not taking away from what UNC has done - they've won every game by double digits and absolutely deserve to be in the title game. They've had a fantastic year and should be commended. It's really hard to win titles, and UNC is staring down their 3rd in the last 11 years. That's a tremendous accomplishment.

I read a blurb in the paper yesterday on whether or not the NCAA has the right to police the classroom. Apparently it's being kicked around in discussion.
This might come down to what the school decides. If the school determines that the classes were not up to their standards, then the school might rescind the grades, making the players academically ineligible. If the team used players who were academically ineligible, then they could forfeit victories in which those players participated.

At the same time, having people write papers for players could be determined to be an inappropriate benefit, and the team could receive disciplinary action for that. From what I have seen, using ineligible players (e.g. Derrick Rose at Memphis), has carried stiffer penalties than inappropriate benefits.

Reactions: American Male

In my original post on this topic I stated it wasn't UNC's fault their bracket turned out the way it did.
My point was just because there was more teams doesn't equate to a tourney run being tougher than 16 teams. In fact I'd say 16 teams would be a tougher road as every team would be a conference winner.

This might come down to what the school decides. If the school determines that the classes were not up to their standards, then the school might rescind the grades, making the players academically ineligible. If the team used players who were academically ineligible, then they could forfeit victories in which those players participated.

At the same time, having people write papers for players could be determined to be an inappropriate benefit, and the team could receive disciplinary action for that. From what I have seen, using ineligible players (e.g. Derrick Rose at Memphis), has carried stiffer penalties than inappropriate benefits.

Reading between the lines gave me the impression that this could turn favorable for UNC and mildly threatening towards the NCAA. Once they are kicked out of the class room, admissions is next. I guess all that will be left is them presiding over college parties.

Gotta agree...they will not touch a Kentucky either...we are in a new era IMO in regards to NCAA punishment...

UK may not have media alum in key places, but they do seem to have one of the largest advertisers working for them. Let the vultures pick over the dying corpse that is college basketball.

In my original post on this topic I stated it wasn't UNC's fault their bracket turned out the way it did.
My point was just because there was more teams doesn't equate to a tourney run being tougher than 16 teams. In fact I'd say 16 teams would be a tougher road as every team would be a conference winner.
So you want to take away the exact thing that attracts people to watching this tourney in the first place. I couldn't possibly disagree more. It's fun watching the little guy get their punches in and knocking out a team that got full of themselves. It's THE attractive aspect about the tourney. In the end, the cream ALWAYS rises to the top so I love watching the teams playing at a high level no matter who they're playing against. Watering down the field to the top 16 would make the tourney boring. No thanks.

So you want to take away the exact thing that attracts people to watching this tourney in the first place. I couldn't possibly disagree more. It's fun watching the little guy get their punches in and knocking out a team that got full of themselves. It's THE attractive aspect about the tourney. In the end, the cream ALWAYS rises to the top so I love watching the teams playing at a high level no matter who they're playing against. Watering down the field to the top 16 would make the tourney boring. No thanks.

I don't see anyone suggesting that a 16 team field would be more entertaining, or that it should be changed. Did a post get deleted or edited that reflected that opinion?

I don't see anyone suggesting that a 16 team field would be more entertaining, or that it should be changed. Did a post get deleted or edited that reflected that opinion?
Maybe I misunderstand Bill, but it seemed he was suggesting a 16 team field would be more difficult to navigate to a title than the current 68 field because in any given year there are only around 16 or so teams capable of winning the title. While the number 16 is subjective, it may not be all that far off but it eliminates the possibility of big upset wins for the little guys which makes the tourney fun as hell to watch.

Maybe I misunderstand Bill, but it seemed he was suggesting a 16 team field would be more difficult to navigate to a title than the current 68 field because in any given year there are only around 16 or so teams capable of winning the title. While the number 16 is subjective, it may not be all that far off but it eliminates the possibility of big upset wins for the little guys which makes the tourney fun as hell to watch.

Yeah, I totally agree with you Cue - there is a reason that people take 2 days off of work in early March to watch all of these games they otherwise wouldn't care about, and I don't think the tourney should be changed in any way - it's pretty awesome just how it is.

OK the way things have been presented to UNC is spelled out in things that Emmert has been saying for a couple of years...that the NCAA has not and can not set it's role as an overseer of what classes are good and what classes are "easy". What they can do is to make sure that classes are not created solely for the purposes of athletics. That's why Michigan got into trouble a while back..they had classes that were not available to the student body as a whole.

The AFAM program at UNC was created as a purely academic path that would appeal to minority students, specifically African-Americans. In it's early days back in the early 1980's it was judged to be one of the hardest programs at the University. So when you're rated tougher than pre-med, pre-law, pharmacy, etc that says a lot. It began to suffer when they hired a well known scholar to lead the Program as a Chair. He was interested in building the numbers and could not have cared less about the academic integrity. He turned it over to an Assistant who was glad to indulge her views that all students deserved an A or B. It became a disaster.

When our accreditation agency looked into things, they were professionally upset that a non-Professor actually was engaged in grading students and setting course requirements...I guess they never went to a school that used GA instructors, etc. Even they didn't claim the courses were invalid or useless, their beef was with the lack of oversight by the College of Arts and Sciences that had an idea it was going on but refused to act because they believed oversight of Professors and Chairs was wrong. Another disaster.

The NCAA has flat out stated that as long as UNC recognizes the classes the NCAA has no business declaring the athletes that got credit for them were ineligible. UNC has said it will not invalidate those classes since that would affect over 3000 students of which slightly less than half were athletes to begin with. I'm sure the Registrar is happy over that. :)

So here's where we are at..in the NOA the NCAA is looking at now there were no allegations against UNC's MBB or Football or Baseball programs. They DID hit women's hoops and both soccer programs for improper interaction with the Academic advisers who helped kids get into courses that were full, not scheduled to be given in certain semesters, and telling the Assistant what grades the students need to get to stay eligible.

The AD's office has told people to be prepared for a large fine by the NCAA and sanctions on the programs were found to have given improper benefits (academic interactions).

We'll see what happens tonight. UNC might get smoked because I personally think Nova is playing the best defense in the country. Regardless, there is one thing I know for sure WILL happen tonight, and I'm as sure of this as I'm sure the sun will set. There WILL be some no life slapdick in
Insufferable obnoxiousness?

You should probably be a little more self aware.

Reactions: ClockCalamity
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT