ADVERTISEMENT

Ron English

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
Bend but don't break was the name of the game. Of Virginia's 11 drives, just two of them ended in touchdowns. Of the Cavaliers' three red zone trips, just one of them ended in a touchdown. Brohm says that having English directly on the field played a massive role in the defense's efficiency.

"I think Coach English being on the field and have this sense of: 'Is this team going fast? Are they huddling? Are they at the line of scrimmage?' Just kind of feeling it. But at the same time, getting the pulse of our defense and football team I think was going to be beneficial, and it was.

"I thought the defense, other than a couple things here and there, played better. We were ready for most of the plays when they were snapped, and we did a much better job."

I wonder with so many transfers on the team is the team chemistry and continuity there yet? If we can continue to win even if it is ugly and come together after a couple of games we might peak at the right time. I hope we come together next weekend in time for the Miami game.

I wonder with so many transfers on the team is the team chemistry and continuity there yet? If we can continue to win even if it is ugly and come together after a couple of games we might peak at the right time. I hope we come together next weekend in time for the Miami game.
It's a fair question because the QB this year is excellent, the FR RB has emerged, and we've got two guys on the outside going to work. I see potential with the TE breakout maybe it's time to work him into this earlier in the games. We do miss the underneath stuff from the slot maybe.

So overall, this feels like a trenches issue and to your point continuity. Maybe somebody that knows the game better than I do can weigh in. As crazy as it sounds, we're running outta time to put it all together. We can't guarantee health of the players.

I liked the hurry up offense the Cards were in for a bit against Virginia. Brohm needs a boost with explosive plays, and he has the skill players to do it.

The play calling looks so predictable to fans so it has to be to the Cards opponents as well?

Tyler Shough has three talented receivers in Brooks, Lacy and Bell. He has a dynamic young TE in Johnson and a talented veteran TE in Redman.

Then add a superstar RB in the making with Issac Brown who is a tremendous threat catching the ball out of the backfield. The other Brown and Watson are not far behind as star RB's.

Wasn't it during the Petrino 1.0 era where it was "Feed the studs?"

I really hope Brohm is considering speeding up the offense and getting the ball to the play makers in space. More misdirection and creative formations, especially early in the game.

Reactions: Mayoman
I really like this victory on the road. Clemson is looking pretty ripe for picking them off. Not because they aren't looking for real, they do. But, if we pull it together and play to our potential...and they may get complacent. Whatch out!

Reactions: KozmasAgain
The defense won the game yesterday for a team that once again can’t score enough points to win consistently and against good teams.

My concern ain’t the defense or special teams. How is this team with this coaching staff so pedestrian on offense?
Yes,echoing what I said in the game thread. The point production not equalling what the offense has been producing in yardage and the defense did play much better after that first series. They were swarming the ball carrier.
I told someone at our watch party more than once,that qb is paying for taking off so much. No doubt he spent yesterday in the ice whirlpool.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
It is a team issue. The defense is giving up too many big plays and the offense isn’t converting. When you are in 1 score games the wrong sequence of events can lose the game.

They haven’t played great and really are a 1-2 plays for being unbeaten.

Transfers are a big part of that which is why I think we are seeing uneven results especially offensively. All new skilled positions. Timing and cohesion are the key to great offenses. Then a rebuilt Oline. All that leds to wow moments and good god moments.

Defense to me is a coaching, talent and scheme issue. Too many busted coverages, poor alignment, and disorganization. Much better Saturday but not sure if Virginia is good.

It is a team issue. The defense is giving up too many big plays and the offense isn’t converting. When you are in 1 score games the wrong sequence of events can lose the game.

They haven’t played great and really are a 1-2 plays for being unbeaten.

Transfers are a big part of that which is why I think we are seeing uneven results especially offensively. All new skilled positions. Timing and cohesion are the key to great offenses. Then a rebuilt Oline. All that leds to wow moments and good god moments.

Defense to me is a coaching, talent and scheme issue. Too many busted coverages, poor alignment, and disorganization. Much better Saturday but not sure if Virginia is good.
I agree with most of this but the problem I see is bad fundamentals. (Side Tackling) for lack of a better word which means missed tackles. It seems to me they don’t want to square up on an offensive player and play smash mouth football.

And probably the biggest issue that needs to be addressed (the funny part is 30 yers ago I was a high school assistant) is out in space on outside runs they need to stop worrying about getting cut back on and run to the outside shoulder of the ball carrier and if he cuts back trust your other defenders pursuing. I see that mistake more than anything and it leads to the ball carrier getting the outside and extra yards. In other words ‘Stop breaking down and run through the ball carrier!’
Like I said it’s been 30 years since I did any coaching. We actually need a new Defensive Coordinator imo.

The offensive line is the biggest concern. How many fourth down tries have we had stuffed (yep, poor play calling is part of that). And the pass blocking has sucked. Shough has been hurried and/or flushed from the pocket on almost every drop back play. Thank goodness we have a QB that can throw on the run. I know we don’t really have studs on the O line but I think technique is lacking.

I tend to agree but so does 70% of college teams. It isn’t easy to find and then keep guys that coach up and scheme up great defenses. The other reality is Louisville isn’t loaded with elite talent. It is kind of the story of Louisville football.

When they are really good they have solid defenses and really good offenses. Last year they just made all the plays when needed. Good group of veterans. At the end of the year the defense was exposed-coaching and depth wise

The offensive line is the biggest concern. How many fourth down tries have we had stuffed (yep, poor play calling is part of that). And the pass blocking has sucked. Shough has been hurried and/or flushed from the pocket on almost every drop back play. Thank goodness we have a QB that can throw on the run. I know we don’t really have studs on the O line but I think technique is lacking.
Yeah-pretty good at run blocking unless it is 4th and 1. Pass protection has been an issue but when you replace multiple guys on the line that have never played together I am not real surprised.

I tend to agree but so does 70% of college teams. It isn’t easy to find and then keep guys that coach up and scheme up great defenses. The other reality is Louisville isn’t loaded with elite talent. It is kind of the story of Louisville football.

When they are really good they have solid defenses and really good offenses. Last year they just made all the plays when needed. Good group of veterans. At the end of the year the defense was exposed-coaching and depth wise
Last year we played an easier schedule. Our linebackers are fast athletes not bulked up linebackers which is one problem. Too much emphasis on speed. Look at Vandy, that guy doesn’t care about speed just players who want to smash your mouth.

Reactions: UofLouisville
We have a couple of critical injuries on a line that’s not very deep at all. As for the 4th downs, all across football they are being stopped more frequently because of run blitzing the gaps. You run into a gap that a blitzer made it through than you have a tackle for a loss. Shough is a big boy, run the QB sneak more or kick the dang FG and take the points or punt.

No argument there but let’s not act like Vandy is a stellar defensive team. They are creating turnovers which Louisville did last year and not so much this year.

Perfect world fast, physical and discipline is the answer. Coaching does matter a lot but there aren’t a ton of guys to pick from.

No argument there but let’s not act like Vandy is a stellar defensive team. They are creating turnovers which Louisville did last year and not so much this year.

Perfect world fast, physical and discipline is the answer. Coaching does matter a lot but there aren’t a ton of guys to pick from.
I don’t disagree but we don’t have physical consistency out of our linebackers. Again speed will get you there but meanness finishes. I used Vandy as an example because they don’t have the fastest athletes but are very well coached.

Yeah-pretty good at run blocking unless it is 4th and 1. Pass protection has been an issue but when you replace multiple guys on the line that have never played together I am not real surprised.
Yup, injuries play a role when you have no depth. Got to start developing lineman instead of shopping for them every year.

I agree with most of this but the problem I see is bad fundamentals. (Side Tackling) for lack of a better word which means missed tackles. It seems to me they don’t want to square up on an offensive player and play smash mouth football.

And probably the biggest issue that needs to be addressed (the funny part is 30 yers ago I was a high school assistant) is out in space on outside runs they need to stop worrying about getting cut back on and run to the outside shoulder of the ball carrier and if he cuts back trust your other defenders pursuing. I see that mistake more than anything and it leads to the ball carrier getting the outside and extra yards. In other words ‘Stop breaking down and run through the ball carrier!’
Like I said it’s been 30 years since I did any coaching. We actually need a new Defensive Coordinator imo.
You didn’t get the memo.

They don’t play football today

We played FB 30 years ago

You can’t play “smash mouth “ FB today because we have to “protect” players.

As Dan Hawkins said “Go play intramural brother”

I tend to agree with this. We don't really want to have a quick strike offense even though we have the receivers/back to do so. So we want to have long sustained drives to keep our defense fresh and keep from wearing down in the 4th quarter. But it is hard to do that if your OL can't hold up and you can't protect your QB. Going to have to utilize backs out of the backfield and the TE's more. Pick your spots on the deep ball patterns. Getting an early lead helps with that.

You didn’t get the memo.

Yup. All flash no substance. Announcers go crazy on a hit that was normal play years ago.

I tend to agree with this. We don't really want to have a quick strike offense even though we have the receivers/back to do so. So we want to have long sustained drives to keep our defense fresh and keep from wearing down in the 4th quarter. But it is hard to do that if your OL can't hold up and you can't protect your QB. Going to have to utilize backs out of the backfield and the TE's more. Pick your spots on the deep ball patterns. Getting an early lead helps with that.
“How about we get in the running car!” Just kidding, we have one of the best running backs in the nation and an arcade game coach. Brown should run no less than 25 times a game. He ran 10 against SMU for 117 yards, if he had ran 10 more times we win. There is such a thing as setting up the pass with the run. See Bobby Petrino.
How many times has Jeff Brohm sent the offense out and ran a no backfield shotgun set and threw every play? Too many. Brohm definitely over analyzies the saying “take what they give you” and gets lured in to what they want him to do imo. Sorry if that offends some but he has a long way to go.

Are you talking about the legal block he made springing the running back?
No I thought that was a bad call. I think that happened in the 1st half.

The 15 yarder I'm talking about I thought the announcer said was on him in the 2nd half, but I never actually saw the play or the replay either. We punted a couple plays later it was kind of early 2nd half had taken the lead and were in good shape.

“How about we get in the running car!” Just kidding, we have one of the best running backs in the nation and an arcade game coach. Brown should run no less than 25 times a game. He ran 10 against SMU for 117 yards, if he had ran 10 more times we win. There is such a thing as setting up the pass with the run. See Bobby Petrino.
How many times has Jeff Brohm sent the offense out and ran a no backfield shotgun set and threw every play? Too many. Brohm definitely over analyzies the saying “take what they give you” and gets lured in to what they want him to do imo. Sorry if that offends some but he has a long way to go.
I think you're right.

I think this is the part of the portal era where you just don't know what you have and don't feel comfortable. Last year, he knew we had great backs and a limited QB. So he was a bit safer and was more comfortable. This year he wasn't sure about the running game and loves Tyler's arm, but he isn't sure what all they can do. So he's just trying to figure it out.

Reactions: AnotherCFD
Some of this and last year's results is just the up-and-down of one score games.

We were 5-1 last year in games decided by seven or fewer points. This year we're 1-2 so far.

Almost 20 games into the tenure of Jeff Brohm, we're playing too many teams too close to expect the ball to usually bounce our way and the officiating not to suck occasionally.

Last year, we averaged 4.5 ppg more on the ACC part of the schedule than the three games this year. If you continue to play teams close, that's a big drop. The spreads in most of these recent games have only been 6-7 points.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rollem Cards
Some of this and last year's results is just the up-and-down of one score games.

We were 5-1 last year in games decided by seven or fewer points. This year we're 1-2 so far.

Almost 20 games into the tenure of Jeff Brohm, we're playing too many teams too close to expect the ball to usually bounce our way and the officiating not to suck occasionally.

Last year, we averaged 4.5 ppg more on the ACC part of the schedule than the three games this year. If you continue to play teams close, that's a big drop. The spreads in most of these recent games have only been 6-7 points.
Almost exactly like Satt's first year versus his next 1-2 years.

I like simplicity. If you are going to reload the O line with transfers look at programs other than Yale, Harvard. USF etc. We managed to snag Brooks from Bama and his our best offensive threat.

A guy on the defensive staff already named Ivey is better by miles than English.

You didn’t get the memo.

It really has flag footballed the game. Instant replay has made normal football tackles a subjective interpretation of the refs.

No I thought that was a bad call. I think that happened in the 1st half.

The 15 yarder I'm talking about I thought the announcer said was on him in the 2nd half, but I never actually saw the play or the replay either. We punted a couple plays later it was kind of early 2nd half had taken the lead and were in good shape.
Nobody knows what he did because they didn’t show it.

We have a couple of critical injuries on a line that’s not very deep at all. As for the 4th downs, all across football they are being stopped more frequently because of run blitzing the gaps. You run into a gap that a blitzer made it through than you have a tackle for a loss. Shough is a big boy, run the QB sneak more or kick the dang FG and take the points or punt.
And bc all of these idiot coaches are in shotgun to get 1 yard. Blows me away. Shotgun, now you have to get 5 yards instead of under center to get 1!

Last edited:
I don't know that he can do 20+ carries week after week. He didn't finish the game vs UVA as he was banged up.

Reactions: UofLouisville
I don't know that he can do 20+ carries week after week. He didn't finish the game vs UVA as he was banged up.
The run should be the surprise for this team. Where is the dual TE offense, that actually has the te's running routs? Where is the wide open offense? Our TE's are not being utilized to maximum efficiency. You have John Wayne at qb and we have boring play calling. Brohm needs to relinquish play calling and oversee the whole team. Too busy figuring out the next offensive play instead of cussing in a refs ear and making sure English isn't busy standing in line buying a pretzel.

I believe the primary reason that our offense has been less than productive, is directly related to our minimal use of our TEs in the flat. Jeff loves the physicality associated with running the football in situations where we find ourselves in both 3rd, and 4th short yardage. The safest option, is also the most difficult to defend, specifically where we use our multiple TE sets, in what appears as a running play, only to have Shough rolling out and throwing to the same side as one of the TEs.

The real benefit in utilizing our TEs, is how effectively it freezes the opposing LBs. Brohm brought the transferring TEs in this early Spring after recognizing how much we needed them in 2023; he said it would be a huge part of our offense. It has proven most effective but only when we have used them in late situations like the UVA game. It appears it has been more out of necessity rather than an emphasis. You witnessed the double coverage by UVA on Lacy in the 4th quarter, and that appears to be what prompted going to Johnson. I hope Jeff decides to blend our TEs into our offense much more going forward.

And bc all of these idiot coaches are in shotgun to get 1 yard. Blows me away. Shotgun, now you have to get 5 yards instead of under center to get 1!
It makes very little difference because they don’t run straight dive plays anymore. The QB is always going back to the running back, all variations of a draw play. Everything is based on read anymore not running to a hole. Like I said, either punt, attempt the FG or run a sneak. In Louisville’s case they have a huge QB and should never get stopped.

He ran 20 times 😂. An injury can happen anytime. He was completely fine against SMU and average 11.7 yards a carry. We failed to score our last 3 possessions and Brohm never ran him, that I recall, on SMU’s side of the field those 3 possessions. Nightmares of Pitt last year when we would have won easily if you just kept running the ball.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT