ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Differences In Football And Basketball

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
Why the stark difference in recruiting between football and basketball? Is there a big NIL discrepancy? Is it that the coaches are more hungry to succeed in football? Is it Payne's lack of urgency and/or laziness?

Brohm knows what it is to be a Louisville player, fan and lover of his hometown city. He works hard to please the fanbase as he has said numerous times.

Can’t say the same for Payne.

Reactions: rh62531
I asked in another thread but was payne ever a recruiter or just player development? I don't recall anyone ever saying what a great recruiter he was although it was said he would attract talent.

Why the stark difference in recruiting between football and basketball? Is there a big NIL discrepancy? Is it that the coaches are more hungry to succeed in football? Is it Payne's lack of urgency and/or laziness?
I would think one of the main differences between Brohm and Payne, is that Brohm has been a HC for almost 10 years or so and knows firsthand what is needed to build / maintain a program when it comes to obtaining players. Payne - not so much.

Although given that the yuts have paid players consistently since the 50’s, you would think NIL wouldn’t be such a mystery to him.

Of course, it’s only his first year…🙄

The advantages of being a head coach as lower levels is they have to learn how to really evaluate players. They have no choice it is literally sink or swim. Brohm and crew are really good at evaluating talent. Now their talent pool is deeper tie that with excellent evaluators good things happen.

When a coach lives in the world of only evaluating elite kids that is a completely different process. What has become clear with actual results and his own words KP’s recruiting swag was manufactured.

He isn’t a good evaluator talent. Too many bad decisions on players that didn’t work out. Too many players that don’t fit. Passing on guys that fit.

Then worst of all he isn’t a closer. He said he couldn’t recruit against the big boys and had to hide recruits. He is at a Top 10 program and has to hide recruits. What elite recruiter says that?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT