ADVERTISEMENT

CL Brown of the Courier Journal

KozmasAgain

6000+
Gold Member
Sep 23, 2016
Brown is comparing KP‘s situation to Hubert Davis’s situation at UNC and asking if we will be as patient with KP as UNC was with Davis. Unfortunately there are huge differences between the two coaches in regards to winning records. Davis has won 6 times or more ballgames in his first 2 years than KP will. Brown might want to look at the differences between the 2 coaches before writing his next article.

Brown is comparing KP‘s situation to Hubert Davis’s situation at UNC and asking if we will be as patient with KP as UNC was with Davis. Unfortunately there are huge differences between the two coaches in regards to winning records. Davis has won 6 times or more ballgames in his first 2 years than KP will. Brown might want to look at the differences between the 2 coaches before writing his next article.
Should look at the performances of both teams when comparing. One plays like they know what is expected. One keeps looking to the sidelines for the answers.

My fear is that some (media and even some UL supporters) have lowered expectations for UL BB to such a level, that it may influence the decision makers to accept that UL will never return to respectable, much less elite.

UNC fans are not happy with Davis, as they are accustomed to being in the conversation for a NC every year. I remeber a time when UL was as well.

It’s the same on a game by game basis. “Hey, we shot better last few games”. “We didn’t get blown out…that’s progress”. “He’s won more games already this year than he did last year…he needs more time”. “You can see the difference on the court….you can’t just measure success by wins and losses”.

It will go on. Not getting blown out is a new standard. Losing by fewer points is the new standard. Winning more games than last year is a sure sign of progress worthy of giving Payne another year.

And….last year shouldn’t count, this is actually Payne’s first year!!???

CL and the KP Mafia….give it a rest. Quit lowering the bar just to make KP look like something he is not…a competent coach.

Not a great comparison, Hubert Davis was on the staff before he became head coach. He followed a hall of fame coach that provided him a good mentor. Kenny Payne succeeded a temporary coach that took over from a coach that quit on the job. Kenny Payne failed to recruit effectively his zero year Did not appear to possess adequate skills needed for success. Year 1, a total failure to show adequate coaching skills during the non-conference part of a schedule that was created to help his team to win a significant part of this schedule. The team has shown a significant improvement on playing hard but their basketball IQ is limited and shows little growth. We are a spoiled fan base so, having the level of basketball that fails night after night is something they are not use to and will not support. I am a season ticket holder and I am not happy with what I see. I will buy my ticket next year because I have confidence that we will have a better program. Not sure that the current group will still be here. I do not understand how we can have 10 coaches for 13 players and see no better results. But, I will not stop my support of our athletic program.

Not a great comparison, Hubert Davis was on the staff before he became head coach. He followed a hall of fame coach that provided him a good mentor. Kenny Payne succeeded a temporary coach that took over from a coach that quit on the job. Kenny Payne failed to recruit effectively his zero year Did not appear to possess adequate skills needed for success. Year 1, a total failure to show adequate coaching skills during the non-conference part of a schedule that was created to help his team to win a significant part of this schedule. The team has shown a significant improvement on playing hard but their basketball IQ is limited and shows little growth. We are a spoiled fan base so, having the level of basketball that fails night after night is something they are not use to and will not support. I am a season ticket holder and I am not happy with what I see. I will buy my ticket next year because I have confidence that we will have a better program. Not sure that the current group will still be here. I do not understand how we can have 10 coaches for 13 players and see no better results. But, I will not stop my support of our athletic program.
3 things.

1) Payne has been tutored by just as successful coaches as Davis

2) Players play, coaches install and demand knowledge of what they want done.

3) The more people continue to go to the games the better chance you see KP on the sideline next year. You don’t think I miss being there for Louisville Basketball? I stay home to help the program.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
3 things.

1) Payne has been tutored by just as successful coaches as Davis

2) Players play, coaches install and demand knowledge of what they want done.

3) The more people continue to go to the games the better chance you see KP on the sideline next year. You don’t think I miss being there for Louisville Basketball? I stay home to help the program.
Same.. I would like to go support the players but I in NO WAY want my attendance to look like I'm supporting Payne.

Same.. I would like to go support the players but I in NO WAY want my attendance to look like I'm supporting Payne.
I think you'd be okay going to a game to support the players at this point.

If there's one thing that is blatantly obvious, other than the fact that Kenny can't coach, it's that our fans as a group are not turning out for a loser. This isn't Nebraska Football where they pack the stands every week for 3-5 win teams.

You or a few others going to the games just to support the players won't make a difference to what happens next with Kenny. And if it makes you feel better to support those guys, it's doubly worth it for you to go.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT