ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Defensive Players

Knucklehank1

6000+
Jul 12, 2004
Our defense has been overwhelmed several games this year. Clearly we are deficient on that side of the ball. What’s the recruiting look like? Any quick fix juco guys?

It’s going to be a slow build, kind of like the John L Smith era.

The unfortunate part of a Bryan Bowl Defense is that he needs players that fit his system. He’s not the type of coach that adjust to personnel. He’s gonna need to withstand incremental improvement next season and hope to turn it up recruiting wise for 2021. We need at least a 20 spot jump in defensive ranking to show progress.

Reactions: PushupMan
The lack of quality depth is what cost us this year. That will get better with time and with coach Satterfield and his coaches hitting the recruiting trail HARD.

Look at the losses this year. Every loss was to a team that was more talented.

All the wins came against teams that had equal or worse talent. The talent gap between Wake, Virginia, NC State, BC and Syracuse is pretty small. I think Louisville will always out recruit those teams. They have to close the gap with the Clemson, Notre Dame, Miami and FSU.

Not much help in this class. For us to be a dominating defense again we are going to have to get at least 4-5 4-star players per class with 2-3 of those on defense. I’ll give Satterfield and Co. a pass on this class. New coach coming from App State without a ton of connections at this level. Next year... different story.

Not much help in this class. For us to be a dominating defense again we are going to have to get at least 4-5 4-star players per class with 2-3 of those on defense. I’ll give Satterfield and Co. a pass on this class. New coach coming from App State without a ton of connections at this level. Next year... different story.

I don’t follow recruiting. Are you saying this incoming class lacks higher end defensive talent?

I heard all this" slow build" opinions over and over again on UofL MBB.I believe it was written many times It Will Take Years!!!! Like I said on the paid board..... I can wait. I'll patiently wait as long as it took for us to become #1 in Louisville BB. :cool:

I think patience is going to be needed on defense but that doesn’t mean they won’t win 7 or 8 games. The offense will be good enough against the middle level teams in ACC.

The defense should get better with time but it is hard to say how long it will take to be a legit defense.

Reactions: Cue Card
I don’t follow recruiting. Are you saying this incoming class lacks higher end defensive talent?

we have 1 4-star player. Chubba. We need to average 4-5 4star

We have 3 DT and DE. All 3-stars. The DT are smallish 6-6’2” about 265 lbs. However, our defensive staff likes smaller faster linemen. Most of their offers are from “mid major” programs.

The real test will be next years class.

Football recruiting has become a two or three year process.

Lack of impressive offers on the D side of the ball in this year's class isnt necessarily all gloom and doom for you guys.

But I'd be worried if that carried over to the 2021 class if there isn't more beef coming in on the lines

Look at the losses this year. Every loss was to a team that was more talented.

All the wins came against teams that had equal or worse talent. The talent gap between Wake, Virginia, NC State, BC and Syracuse is pretty small. I think Louisville will always out recruit those teams. They have to close the gap with the Clemson, Notre Dame, Miami and FSU.
Unfortunately, and Kentucky!

This is what has to change. Does everyone want to be like Michigan? Win 8-9 games a season and lose to your rival 8 times in a row? Why does that happen? Because of recruiting. If you can’t beat your arch rival, these kids don’t want to come play for a loser. Kids in KY don’t care if you beat Wake Forest and Syracuse...

Reactions: connor21wilson
This is what has to change. Does everyone want to be like Michigan? Win 8-9 games a season and lose to your rival 8 times in a row? Why does that happen? Because of recruiting. If you can’t beat your arch rival, these kids don’t want to come play for a loser. Kids in KY don’t care if you beat Wake Forest and Syracuse...

How much of our recruiting is going to come down to Ky kids anyhow? Now, this one game means we are going to lose to uk 8 times in a row?

Recruiting is extremely challenging for Louisville. In a good year there are 15 legit D1 players in KY. That isn’t much and definitely not enough to make a difference.

They can’t miss on kids or their room for error is very small. I think this staff can navigate that because they seem to have a really good grasp on what they want in a player.

How much of our recruiting is going to come down to Ky kids anyhow? Now, this one game means we are going to lose to uk 8 times in a row?
If you’re so dense that you don’t understand that if you constantly lose the recruiting battle to your arch rival, you’re fighting an uphill battle. How did we have the upper hand on them for a few years?

If you’re so dense that you don’t understand that if you constantly lose the recruiting battle to your arch rival, you’re fighting an uphill battle. How did we have the upper hand on them for a few years?
What can’t happen is having really good players in Jefferson County that aren’t recruited or prioritized. FYI I think the recruiting would tell a different story. UK has had better ranked classes more times than not.

We have 3 DT and DE. All 3-stars. The DT are smallish 6-6’2” about 265 lbs. However, our defensive staff likes smaller faster linemen. Most of their offers are from “mid major” programs.

I am not worried about our offense under CSS. For me the jury is still out on the defense because we haven't been able to see what Brown can do with his own horses.

I think the one thing that is going to make or break this staff is the O and DLines. If they can't shore up the lines, that will be their downfall.

Reactions: Williedynamite

Im just not freaking out after this one game and trying to argue that its going to completely sway the balance of our recruiting. maybe it has some impact on in state recruiting which we don't get a ton of recruits from this state anyhow. As long as we continue on the trend we are going, we will be able to compete with uk on the field so it doesn't matter anyhow. We smashed uk for several years and they still got recruits from out in the state promising hope and playing time. We will still get our fair share of local recruits as long as the staff does their jobs and actually recruits the kids. Petrino didn't and he completely lost local recruiting even when we were doing well on the field. Strong did okay in local recruiting but a lot of local guys got pissy when a florida guy was brought in over them. We still managed to put good teams on the field.

One of our 3 star DT recruits is ranked 13th in the nation. Don’t ask me how that is, but it is. A list was posted last week (I think)

If this is true, there aren’t many 4-5 star DTs out there for 65 P5 schools.

Im just not freaking out after this one game and trying to argue that its going to completely sway the balance of our recruiting. maybe it has some impact on in state recruiting which we don't get a ton of recruits from this state anyhow. As long as we continue on the trend we are going, we will be able to compete with uk on the field so it doesn't matter anyhow. We smashed uk for several years and they still got recruits from out in the state promising hope and playing time. We will still get our fair share of local recruits as long as the staff does their jobs and actually recruits the kids. Petrino didn't and he completely lost local recruiting even when we were doing well on the field. Strong did okay in local recruiting but a lot of local guys got pissy when a florida guy was brought in over them. We still managed to put good teams on the field.
You sound like Petrino. I just know that from living in Charlotte for several years I saw the rise of Clemson and the fall of South Carolina occurred basically at the same time Spurrier retired. After that Clemson won most of the recruiting wars in SC. You can claim SC has better athletes but they are mostly a rural state like Kentucky. Their best players still come from Florida and Georgia. Almost half of the state’s population lives in Louisville and yet currently we have 16 players from Louisville and the Kitties have 11. We need a bigger discrepancy than that and we need to keep the Rondale Moore’s home.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT