ADVERTISEMENT

Based on early ranking we are falling behind previous coach's recruiting totals and losing ground

From the 2017 UL Football Press Guide re Lamar - "rated nation's No. 8 duel-threat QB and No. 31 player in Florida according to 247Sports.com...rated as No. 30 player at his position nationally and No. 8 in the South Region by Scout.com....was named to Class 6A Florida All-State 1st team as a utility player." Not a lot of
eye-popping stuff

Not trying “to turn a lemon into lemonade“, but in all fairness, UL dominated UK while losing the game. I would much prefer being dominated and winning, than vice versa; but with all due respect to any comparison between Satterfield and Brohm …… we were clearly outmatched by UK during the Satterfield era, and Jeff changed that in just one year.

Forget the Stars; focus on who these HCs pursue, and ultimately develop into their own system. Jeff has an eye for who fits his plan. Plummer may not have measured up to a lot of UL fan expectations, but given the brief time for Jeff to find an available QB in the Portal …….. he got the one who delivered 10 wins. I expect we will improve each year offensively.

Reactions: Mayoman and earsky
Unless I read past it, I don’t see where anyone mentioned NIL in this thread—which is an oversight. The U of L coaches whom I‘ve heard comment say that NIL is 90% of the decision that the best kids consider.

There’s a common belief that U of L is doing well with NIL. I see no hard data supporting that belief, and it’s contradictory to me that a school having financial issues is raising plenty of NIL money. It’s all money coming from the same sources.

To the points in the OP, not sure how much of a factor NIL was when Satterfield was here. A lack of it could explain why Brohm hasn’t shown better recruiting results…

If you go to the ACC team rankings and look our ranking is because the number of players not because we aren’t getting good talent. If you take the star ranking we rank in the top 4 of the ACC and that is not counting the transfer portal. In the portal our recruits rank 3rd in the country.

Reactions: the artist FKA zipp
Unless I read past it, I don’t see where anyone mentioned NIL in this thread—which is an oversight. The U of L coaches whom I‘ve heard comment say that NIL is 90% of the decision that the best kids consider.

There’s a common belief that U of L is doing well with NIL. I see no hard data supporting that belief, and it’s contradictory to me that a school having financial issues is raising plenty of NIL money. It’s all money coming from the same sources.

To the points in the OP, not sure how much of a factor NIL was when Satterfield was here. A lack of it could explain why Brohm hasn’t shown better recruiting results…
I assume Ty isn’t lying to us, and it appears we are attracting good players. Just enjoy the game.

If you go to the ACC team rankings and look our ranking is because the number of players not because we aren’t getting good talent. If you take the star ranking we rank in the top 4 of the ACC and that is not counting the transfer portal. In the portal our recruits rank 3rd in the country.
Good point. I prefer average star rankings to the mysterious process used by these services to merge quality and quantity...

The reason UL is doing well with NIL in football, but not nearly as well with University financial support is actually pretty obvious; NIL gives the investor a chance to direct their money where it can make a difference. Conversely, who would trust these moronic UL Administrators to use the money effectively?

Lamar was a 3-star recruit. Only 5-star I remember was Mike Bush, maybe Jeff Brohm was.
thanks, you are correct, only one in our history. peanut whitehead was a 5* at one point but fell to four. but again tonight proves 3 and 4 cannot compete against 4 and 5 star players.

The reality is Louisville will rarely outbid teams for players. They have to be very smart with their spending. I have said it for a while this is moneyball. It is finding guys that fit your schemes at a lower price. It is grabbing players like Q Riley from Middle TN or Thrash that can play at this level.

A high percentage of SEC transfers end up transferring within the conference. The spring market is different in the SEC because they can’t go to another SEC school. That is why you see so many transfer in Dec. The SEC just churns players.

I was afraid last night’s debacle would leave UL fans with the false narrative about “the stars” being the difference between UL and USC.

Each and every college football season is long, and evolves in many different directions. Anyone who places emphasis on one game, or more particularly a season ending Bowl game are making a mistake.

The loss at Pitt, and the home loss to UK were examples of what happens with the unpredictable consequences of weather conditions (combination of wind and rain), unforced turnovers and key injuries occur simultaneously. As far as the two subsequent losses to FSU and USC, both games were close, and aside from turnovers (first fumble and subsequent blocked punt), the game could have turned out differently.

If USC‘s “5 Star” talent was so much more superior to UL, based entirely on the performance by Moss and his receivers; then explain the total domination by UL’s Offensive Line and our two Running Backs (Guerendo and Turner) that were virtually unstoppable against USC?

This UL football team that lost the last three in a row was simply stated, not remotely close to the one that dominated ND and VT at home, and beat a very good NCST team at their place.

Admiitedly, ND, Miami, FSU and USC had more 4 & 5 Star talent than UL, and probably will always enjoy that advantage in terms of HS recruiting. Yet we beat two (2) of those four (4) this year, and aside from a few bizarre turnovers, UL could just as easily have won the other two as well.

It is a combination of scheme and stars. When scheme and stars match up it a nightmare to deal with. USC offensively is legit in both scheme and stars. FSU defensively had both line and secondary stars that fit their aggressive schemes.

You can also win 10 games with scheme and average players as long as they are disciplined. However, there is a ceiling on those teams. It can look ugly like last night when scheme and stars play well.

The reason UL is doing well with NIL in football, but not nearly as well with University financial support is actually pretty obvious; NIL gives the investor a chance to direct their money where it can make a difference. Conversely, who would trust these moronic UL Administrators to use the money effectively?
Any post that uses "moron" and "U of L administration" in the same sentence automatically earns a 'zipp' like. ;)

But I'm not sure about your explanation for why money is directed to NIL and not athletics. Once it became obvious to me where athletics were headed, I started earmarking money I contributed to U of L. All of these sports have their own fundraising efforts like the Dugout Club in baseball.

What has happened after NIL started up is U of L coaches telling fans to contribute to NIL in lieu of athletics if you're forced to make that tradeoff. But U of L's financial problems started well before NIL. Money stopped going into athletics before any of it was being redirected to NIL.

Like it or not, it's a zero-sum game with NIL. And speaking just for myself, I don't give more money to "U of L" simply because NIL exists. To the contrary, most fans I talk to are turned off by NIL. I look at contributions to it as a necessary evil that is being directed by coaches I respect and value...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT