ADVERTISEMENT

Realistic...

So you’re saying that UofL football HC circa 2006 is the same kind of job as UofL basketball HC is? You may want to rethink your statement.
Nope. Not really. TJ was a great AD but he wasn’t perfect and was very capable of making a bad hire and there’s proof.

Again, it made little difference that Pitino was technically unemployed in 2001. He had plenty of job opportunities at that time...

Nope. Not really. TJ was a great AD but he wasn’t perfect and was very capable of making a bad hire and there’s proof.
I didn't see a puff of white smoke when he was hired and, I don't think anyone has suggested that TJ was infallible. Even counting HWSMBN - his track record of coaching hires is incredible.

I didn't see a puff of white smoke when he was hired and, I don't think anyone has suggested that TJ was infallible. Even counting HWSMBN - his track record of coaching hires is incredible.

He has hired top notch coaches throughout the athletic department. But, to also be clear, it is not as though Tom magically located unknown coaching talent that became successful here. His talent has been taking coaches that are known to be very good and then putting together a financial package and other considerations to lure them here. He is known as a great AD to work for and when you combine that with generous compensation packages he creates, he is able to make great hires.

Never looked back ?
Dec 20, 2016 - Rick Pitino admits "my biggest mistake I made in my life is when I left Camelot." The impact? John Calipari would have had to build his one-and-done empire elsewhere. Dunk City might not exist.
You either are completely inept at crediting sources or, are super dopey. Are you really suggesting that Pitino made that comment in 2016? It was the op ed piece that was published on 12/20/16. The comment that you are (poorly) trying to reference, was in fact made by Pitino in 2011, in response to an interview question asking his opinion on the rumors that UConn wanted to leave the BE and join the ACC. Here's the quote:

"I remember when they were struggling to win the Yankee Conference. In all of sports, the greatest building job I've ever seen in my life was done at Connecticut. The Big East has taken them from a Yankee Conference school to where they are now. With that being said, how can you want to leave? Why would you want to leave? My biggest mistake I made in my life is when I left Camelot [Kentucky]” to lead the Boston Celtics in 1997. “They’re leaving Camelot. It’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard of.”

Interestingly, Pitino never says that his biggest mistake was specifically leaving uk. It seems obvious to all but the simplest among us and yut fans (sorry for the redundancy) that he was referencing not uk but, the atmosphere and culture that he and the players that he recruited, created at uk during that time. For heavens sake - he uses the same term - "Camelot" - in reference to UConn, and no one ever has suggested that Bristol, Conn. is any sort of Shangri-La - lol.

He has hired top notch coaches throughout the athletic department. But, to also be clear, it is not as though Tom magically located unknown coaching talent that became successful here. His talent has been taking coaches that are known to be very good and then putting together a financial package and other considerations to lure them here. He is known as a great AD to work for and when you combine that with generous compensation packages he creates, he is able to make great hires.
Another way to say that would be that not only was TJ as fantastic AD, he did an amazing job raising the profile and ability of the entire athletic department, such that he was able to hire (and afford to hire) outstanding coaches that previously would not have considered taking a HC position at UofL. The fact that UofL now is a member of the ACC primarily through the incredible job that Jurich did - with help from Ramsey's previous connections - is something that will allow future ADs to be taken serious by prospective coaches.

I think that's pretty magical at a "commuter school".

Another way to say that would be that not only was TJ as fantastic AD, he did an amazing job raising the profile and ability of the entire athletic department, such that he was able to hire (and afford to hire) outstanding coaches that previously would not have considered taking a HC position at UofL. The fact that UofL now is a member of the ACC primarily through the incredible job that Jurich did - with help from Ramsey's previous connections - is something that will allow future ADs to be taken serious by prospective coaches.

I think that's pretty magical at a "commuter school".

The greatest thing Tom Jurich did here was figure out there was a massive interest in college sports here and lots of untapped financial resources ready to be utilized. The results speak for themselves.

You either are completely inept at crediting sources or, are super dopey. Are you really suggesting that Pitino made that comment in 2016? It was the op ed piece that was published on 12/20/16. The comment that you are (poorly) trying to reference, was in fact made by Pitino in 2011, in response to an interview question asking his opinion on the rumors that UConn wanted to leave the BE and join the ACC. Here's the quote:

"I remember when they were struggling to win the Yankee Conference. In all of sports, the greatest building job I've ever seen in my life was done at Connecticut. The Big East has taken them from a Yankee Conference school to where they are now. With that being said, how can you want to leave? Why would you want to leave? My biggest mistake I made in my life is when I left Camelot [Kentucky]” to lead the Boston Celtics in 1997. “They’re leaving Camelot. It’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard of.”

Interestingly, Pitino never says that his biggest mistake was specifically leaving uk. It seems obvious to all but the simplest among us and yut fans (sorry for the redundancy) that he was referencing not uk but, the atmosphere and culture that he and the players that he recruited, created at uk during that time. For heavens sake - he uses the same term - "Camelot" - in reference to UConn, and no one ever has suggested that Bristol, Conn. is any sort of Shangri-La - lol.
Here is another instance that you can twist around to your liking. No Camelot here, just Kentucky.

https://www.aseaofblue.com/2013/2/2...l-rick-pitino-once-again-expresses-regret-for

I guess thats why he lamented leaving UK, his biggest mistake. His words, not mine.
Maybe that should’ve been a sign that something was going to be f***ed up, you just don’t worship uk and there not be something mentally wrong.

Reactions: Cue Card
Here is another instance that you can twist around to your liking. No Camelot here, just Kentucky.

https://www.aseaofblue.com/2013/2/2...l-rick-pitino-once-again-expresses-regret-for
Do you idiots even read the articles that you link?

I think I do regret leaving Kentucky because I took over a team with 15 wins banking everything on the Tim Duncan lottery, and once we didn’t get Tim Duncan I realized that leaving Kentucky was not a good move."

First off he does know that regrets leaving Kentucky, he only “thinks” it. Secondly, any regret that he has was due to him realizing that he made a bad gamble on being able to get Tim Duncan NOT because he missed uk. Had the ping pong balls fallen differently, he never utters those words at all but, still most likely talks about how he was glad to get away from lunatics like those big hillbilly nation members who stole sod out of his yard - lol.

Only here in an open forum which allows a person to man their shovel and dig their hilarious selves deeper can we find a frigging UK fan droning on and on and one about his program - in a thread about Louisville's next coaching hire. It's like saying ............ "Hey, have you guys ever seen a Tar baby??"

My pick for at least a final 5 of candidates is Eric Musselman. Dude is getting it done at Nevada and has one of the most amazing pedigrees in college ball......especially if you remember his Pop.

Reactions: BPGhost
When the smoke starts to clear then you have to look at the candidates that want louisville and aren’t shy about it. That said, I think Cronin would crawl over glass to get the job. I can see him being the pick

Do you idiots even read the articles that you link?

I think I do regret leaving Kentucky because I took over a team with 15 wins banking everything on the Tim Duncan lottery, and once we didn’t get Tim Duncan I realized that leaving Kentucky was not a good move."

First off he does know that regrets leaving Kentucky, he only “thinks” it. Secondly, any regret that he has was due to him realizing that he made a bad gamble on being able to get Tim Duncan NOT because he missed uk. Had the ping pong balls fallen differently, he never utters those words at all but, still most likely talks about how he was glad to get away from lunatics like those big hillbilly nation members who stole sod out of his yard - lol.
Spin baby spin. I knew I could count on you.

Pitino regretted the decision to go to the Celtics a lot more than he regretted leaving LPT. How many times did he mock LPT fans while he was at U of L? Too many to count.

And the record shows he spent just about TWICE the number of years at U of L than he did at LPT. That wasn't an accident. He could have gone just about anywhere he wanted 12 years in, after winning the 2013 title.

At U of L, Pitino was in a basketball culture and living in a CITY--not a cowtown--where he was happy, and among fans--not idiots--who live normal lives and have some degree of perspective.

"Elite program," my a$$...

Last edited:
Reactions: BPGhost
Great comeback by the Cards tonight! Got 2 good ranked wins tonight...
Cards beat fsu!
Shaka beats tcu!

GO CARDS!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT