ADVERTISEMENT

Realistic...

KenSucky

One-Star Poster
Apr 2, 2010
So been said this week that numerous coaches can't wait to apply for our vacancy at the end of the season. I feel like realistically there are 3 finalists and a few outside shots. Would you agree?

Smart - Havoc D and recruiting ability would be welcomed in this city.
Mack - wife is from Louisville so may already have connections
Marshall - Has the fire and winning ability Cards fans would love and his wife would troll kenSucky.

Outside shots:
Donivan, Hurley, Payne, Stevens

We have to have a permanent AD before any decent coach would come here.

Agree Rocky.

Ideally, we would have a permanent president name a permanent AD to name a permanent Head Coach.

However, this is UL we are a$$ backwards these days and everyone is interim. I fully expect that both Postel and Tyra are interim and name a permanent basketball coach in April/May.

The one name that no one is talking about is Buzz Williams. He could handle a job like Louisville. He plays a fun style. The only real negative to him is if he will probably be an option at North Carolina when Williams leaves which is coming in the next 2-3 years..

Buzz just kissed Cow’s ass in his press conference @ Rupp. No thanks to him based on that alone!

So been said this week that numerous coaches can't wait to apply for our vacancy at the end of the season. I feel like realistically there are 3 finalists and a few outside shots. Would you agree?

Marshall - Has the fire and winning ability Cards fans would love and his wife would troll kenSucky.

Outside shots:
I'd say Mack is the only real candidate on that list. Smart, Stevens and Billy D. are some sort of pipe dreams. It isn't going to happen. Marshall is waiting for just the right fit at an elite program. I don't think he'd be willing to be in a full rebuild situation. Payne has zero HC experience and isn't popular with the fan base. Hurley will be Duke bound when K retires. I think you may be in the same spot UK was in. Big names don't want the headache. You may have to find the rising superstar, like Pitino, and hope for the best. Just an outsiders opinion

Reactions: Kentucky31

Outside shots:
Maybe you all can take Cal off of our hands.

Seems like since all.of this FBI crap his recruiting has sucked ads. maybe he is laying low and now we will be mediocre plus I'm suck of all this one and done crap. So,.do you want him,will you take him ?

I'm suck of all this one and done crap.

raw

I'd say Mack is the only real candidate on that list. Smart, Stevens and Billy D. are some sort of pipe dreams. It isn't going to happen. Marshall is waiting for just the right fit at an elite program. I don't think he'd be willing to be in a full rebuild situation. Payne has zero HC experience and isn't popular with the fan base. Hurley will be Duke bound when K retires. I think you may be in the same spot UK was in. Big names don't want the headache. You may have to find the rising superstar, like Pitino, and hope for the best. Just an outsiders opinion

Donovan is no pipe dream.
He was getting ready to get fired until OKC turned it around this month.
OKC will be gutted with George and Carmelo leaving.
Plus he can bridge the anti-pitino supporters vs new blood supporters.

Last edited:
Reactions: BPGhost and gocds
He was getting ready to get fired until OKC, turned it around this month.

Agree that Donovan is a real possibility.

May need to let a little more smoke clear first though. All the other guys mentioned don’t fit Louisville for one reason or another in my opinion.

The thought of Donovan scares many UK fans.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
He was getting ready to get fired until OKC, turned it around this month.

Agree that Donovan is a real possibility.

May need to let a little more smoke clear first though. All the other guys mentioned don’t fit Louisville for one reason or another in my opinion.

The thought of Donovan scares many UK fans.

Nope. He’ll never coach here with Pitino ties. He won’t come here because it would be like stabbing Pitino in the back. Plus we’re not hiring anyone from the Pitino tree.

Nope. He’ll never coach here with Pitino ties. He won’t come here because it would be like stabbing Pitino in the back. Plus we’re not hiring anyone from the Pitino tree.

Not if the clown pitino gives him his blessing to coach here.
The Cards need the best available HC.
Donovan won back to back Titles at a football school.
Donovan is in his 50s and was a total success at UF.
Be perfect fit here.
Donovan, Mack or Smart. Those are the only 3 i want.

Reactions: gocds
A 8 year at 5-6 mil per would go a long way to mitigating Donovan’s need for pitino’s blessing. Not that I think for a second that grissom wants to do this but, the reality is - they need to hire someone to excite the donors into coughing up $ like in the past. BD checks those boxes.

Not if the clown pitino gives him his blessing to coach here.
The Cards need the best available HC.
Donovan won back to back Titles at a football school.
Donovan is in his 50s and was a total success at UF.
Be perfect fit here.
Donovan, Mack or Smart. Those are the only 3 i want.

I agree 100% with his qualifications but Pitino is very bitter. I don’t see him recommending anyone to come here under the current administration.

A 8 year at 5-6 mil per would go a long way to mitigating Donovan’s need for pitino’s blessing. Not that I think for a second that grissom wants to do this but, the reality is - they need to hire someone to excite the donors into coughing up $ like in the past. BD checks those boxes.

I wouldn’t count on Pitino’s blessing and I’m thinking Donovan can find the money somewhere other than here too. I just don’t see him coming here. Don’t get me wrong he would be a huge hire but I think it’s a bridge to far. Let’s hope I’m wrong. But you did touch on the other issue and that’s Grissom and his band of idiots. I’m betting their not going to let Tyra open up the checkbook. Will see.

Not sure what is realistic anymore. Under normal circumstances almost anyone would be in play for us but I have to assume we are bleeding out financially and I see fan interest fading very quickly. Also the image of the program has been destroyed after two major scandals and apparently we are going to be twisting in the wind for awhile. Not sure how long this can go on before permanent damage will be done to the program and we wind up with a coach we would have laughed about before.

Why the hell would anyone come here under these conditions? There is only one reason we better figure that out immediately.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$"$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$"$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Why doesnt Louisville just dump all the money that they have into the sport that really matters.....football?

Honestly who even cares about basketball anyways.

Reactions: CardsFirst
Not sure what is realistic anymore. Under normal circumstances almost anyone would be in play for us but I have to assume we are bleeding out financially and I see fan interest fading very quickly. Also the image of the program has been destroyed after two major scandals and apparently we are going to be twisting in the wind for awhile. Not sure how long this can go on before permanent damage will be done to the program and we wind up with a coach we would have laughed about before.
Quickest way to ramp fan interest (and donations) back up are to make a home run hire. Wish TJ was around to do it...

Reactions: Senore2006 and zipp
Quickest way to ramp fan interest (and donations) back up are to make a home run hire. Wish TJ was around to do it...

Yeah, of course is that even possible until the penalties are in place and we know exactly where we stand? Probably not so who knows how long this will take. Will we be wiped out financially before we can act?

IMHO the idea that Donovan would coach here is as ludicrous as those dopes down the road thinking Brad Stevens will coach there once the current recruiter posing as a coach takes off and leaves them a mess like he has the past two schools. Donovan has no prior relationship here other than his history with Pitino. We didn't exactly end Pitino's time by carrying him off the court. Donovan won two titles in college and now is trying to win at the next level. Even if Oklahoma City cans him I seem him getting another job in the NBA. Given the names we've thrown around in this thread my vote goes to Mack.

IMHO the idea that Donovan would coach here is as ludicrous as those dopes down the road thinking Brad Stevens will coach there once the current recruiter posing as a coach takes off and leaves them a mess like he has the past two schools. Donovan has no prior relationship here other than his history with Pitino. We didn't exactly end Pitino's time by carrying him off the court. Donovan won two titles in college and now is trying to win at the next level. Even if Oklahoma City cans him I seem him getting another job in the NBA. Given the names we've thrown around in this thread my vote goes to Mack.
What would you have thought / said if someone told you in 2000 that Jurich was going to target pitino to coach at Louisville?

Reactions: zipp
What would you have thought / said if someone told you in 2000 that Jurich was going to target pitino to coach at Louisville?
This is what many people forget when they say we can't get someone. It's not only about the U of L job.

Jurich would first be going after Brad Stevens, Jay Wright, and Billy Donovan. He's a big thinker--the biggest--and no one would be off limits. It's another example of how he would max out U of L's financials. And I dare say that no one will replace that ability...

I get what you’re saying, but Pitino was jobless and the timing was right. There aren’t too many quality coaches that are jobless at the moment.

I get what you’re saying, but Pitino was jobless and the timing was right. There aren’t too many quality coaches that are jobless at the moment.
It takes a lot more than just the right circumstances. It also takes big thinking and the ability to market yourself. I'll even give the guys credit more than three decades ago who convinced The Pipe to make this his new home...

Pitino had a terrible record. He had no success at Boston at all. A very different situation than Billy D.

Pitino had a terrible record. He had no success at Boston at all. A very different situation than Billy D.
Had little to do with Pitino's record, but everything to do with his options. Pitino could have had about any job he wanted in 2001...

This is what many people forget when they say we can't get someone. It's not only about the U of L job.

Jurich would first be going after Brad Stevens, Jay Wright, and Billy Donovan. He's a big thinker--the biggest--and no one would be off limits. It's another example of how he would max out U of L's financials. And I dare say that no one will replace that ability...
I will have to disagree with this statement. When he had a chance to get a football coach, he got Steve Krapthorpe. Enough said.

I will have to disagree with this statement. When he had a chance to get a football coach, he got Steve Krapthorpe. Enough said.
So you’re saying that UofL football HC circa 2006 is the same kind of job as UofL basketball HC is? You may want to rethink your statement.

Reactions: zipp
I really believe Smart has been holding out for us. After he went to the FF a few years ago he had several offers and declined staying at VCU with a raise. Stayed a little longer and then the next year went to Texas. I felt he was waiting for Louisville to open and took a football school to wait around for our opportunity. I'd say he should be the first and then Mack and Marshall. Not sold that Donovan would come here as he seems like a southern state type of guy. I am all in on getting Shaka here no matter who the AD or President is. #makelouisvillesmartagain

Reactions: Morgantown Card
Never looked back ?
Dec 20, 2016 - Rick Pitino admits "my biggest mistake I made in my life is when I left Camelot." The impact? John Calipari would have had to build his one-and-done empire elsewhere. Dunk City might not exist.

ADVERTISEMENT