ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue isn't a destination program

CardMonarch

One-Star Poster
Sep 8, 2016
Rather or not Brohm comes home the guys isnt staying at Purdue for long. I get that he turned things around and that program is showing a pulse but Purdue just isn't there yet to lock down a guy like him. They need to bump up how much they pay, build onto that stadium and prove that recruiting is consistently viable and Brohm's classes aren't a fluke. There's so many of their fans on our board viscerally arguing that he's staying there and I think after the way Louisville was done with Strong and even Bobby 1.0 they need to know being a stepping stone is all part of the process.

There are no destination programs in college. Even the only ones that come close are dependent upon the age / aspirations of their HC. Just as Saban left LSU to go to the Dolphins - so would he have left the Gumps if the timing circumstances were the same. If JB comes back and stays his career here - that won't mean that UofL is suddenly a destination program - only that it was for him and his unique situation.

The current goals of the university president, board of trustees, and our AD is to turn it into one. We've been severely limited by the the university president prior to Mitch Daniels putting little to no value on athletics, along with our prior AD that didn't care about wins and losses as long as the budget balanced.

Don't get too distracted by Darrell Hazell's coaching performance. The man was incompetent and we kept him for far too long. Purdue has a great foundation to build it into something special for years to come. I think Brohm sees that and will stick around until he feels he's hit a ceiling. The door to Louisville will always be open for him down the road.

There's always room to grow and improve the program. While Purdue will never be a 'blue blood', it's hard to say there's no room for significant growth into a power program. You all should know that from the first hand experience of Louisville's athletic growth.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
Rather or not Brohm comes home the guys isnt staying at Purdue for long. I get that he turned things around and that program is showing a pulse but Purdue just isn't there yet to lock down a guy like him. They need to bump up how much they pay, build onto that stadium and prove that recruiting is consistently viable and Brohm's classes aren't a fluke. There's so many of their fans on our board viscerally arguing that he's staying there and I think after the way Louisville was done with Strong and even Bobby 1.0 they need to know being a stepping stone is all part of the process.

Fact checking 101

Bobby Petrino, 16 years as Head Coach. Louisville salary $4.2 million

Jeff Brohm, 5 years as a Head Coach, Purdue Salary $3.8 million

The current goals of the university president, board of trustees, and our AD is to turn it into one. We've been severely limited by the the university president prior to Mitch Daniels putting little to no value on athletics, along with our prior AD that didn't care about wins and losses as long as the budget balanced.

Don't get too distracted by Darrell Hazell's coaching performance. The man was incompetent and we kept him for far too long. Purdue has a great foundation to build it into something special for years to come. I think Brohm sees that and will stick around until he feels he's hit a ceiling. The door to Louisville will always be open for him down the road.

There's always room to grow and improve the program. While Purdue will never be a 'blue blood', it's hard to say there's no room for significant growth into a power program. You all should know that from the first hand experience of Louisville's athletic growth.
Let’s see, Notre Dame, IU and then Purdue. There’s the pecking order in your state.

Fact checking 101

Bobby Petrino, 16 years as Head Coach. Louisville salary $4.2 million

Jeff Brohm, 5 years as a Head Coach, Purdue Salary $3.8 million
If Bobby had stayed the first time, he would have made more. He actually took a pay cut to get back into the game.

Reactions: Cue Card
Purdue fans are a joke; so delusional about their place in the pecking order. By what measures could that Big10 doormat be considered better than Louisville? Look at the last 25-30 years and tell me. They are closer to Kentucky’s stature than ours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brohm has to realize that these opportunities don’t come along often. Realistically, he could never get another crack at this job and he’d have to ask himself: was it worth staying at Purdue? My point is simply this: JB has likely thought many times about being the HC here. As recently as this preseason making that a reality seemed at least 5 years away. Now opportunity knocks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Louisville is not a destination either [except in basketball]. Any coach other than Brohm who comes here will be gone in a heartbeat to a blueblood. Heck even Brohm would probably bolt if an Ohio State or NFL job came calling. Some of you guys need to take off the red colored glasses. I love UofL but I also realize where we stand in the football world. Unless we can win a couple NCAA titles, we will always be a good job but not a destination program.

So OP is correct, Purdue is not a destination program but neither are we.

Ok. I don't see why people need to be jackasses towards Purdue's program. Debate these things in the arena of ideas and don't be a jackass. Pretty much everyone agrees:

1) Purdue has had more long-term success and has had the benefit of being in a power conference for many more years than Louisville.
2) Louisville has had more recent success and has had an impressive ascent since 1985, and is set to do even more now in the ACC.
3) If Brohm comes, money won't be why, it'll be because he wants to return to his native city & alma mater.
4) Nobody knows shit about what Brohm is or isn't going to do. You may have a very valid opinion, but you don't know shit.

Why the hell are you people arguing? LOL. Enjoy the process if you're a Louisville fan, the speculation is fun.

Ok. I don't see why people need to be jackasses towards Purdue's program. Debate these things in the arena of ideas and don't be a jackass. Pretty much everyone agrees:

1) Purdue has had more long-term success and has had the benefit of being in a power conference for many more years than Louisville.
2) Louisville has had more recent success and has had an impressive ascent since 1985, and is set to do even more now in the ACC.
3) If Brohm comes, money won't be why, it'll be because he wants to return to his native city & alma mater.
4) Nobody knows shit about what Brohm is or isn't going to do. You may have a very valid opinion, but you don't know shit.

Why the hell are you people arguing? LOL. Enjoy the process if you're a Louisville fan, the speculation is fun.

Purdue’s President was the founder of the Big Ten in 1895.

I don't think anyone is saying Purdue is a destination job....not even Purdue fans. (Haven't read all the posts though)

Again, this whole argument is dumb because of who this specific coach is. If Purdue's coach had no ties to Louisville then we could compare programs and argue about what he should do. But this specific instance the stature of Purdue or Louisville will not matter.

This is about Jeff Brohm and his connection to Louisville. Purdue isn't Alabama....the idea that Jeff Brohm would leave Purdue to go back to his alma mater is not only not crazy; its expected. So this measuring contest about how great Purdue is and how great Louisville is happens to be pointless because I can assure you that if Jeff Brohm wants to coach Louisville he isn't going to care about Drew Brees or how easy it would be to beat the teams in Purdue's division.

Have you tweeted that at JB? That might be the nugget that clinches him staying at Purdue.

He’s not engaged in this stress relieving exercise, he’s sending out offers to 2020 Purdue recruiting prospects and prepping for the Senior Day football game this weekend. As for us, we are either retired, unemployed, independently wealthy or flirting with disaster by covertly posting while on the job!

Brohm is the closest we’ll ever get to a possible “lifetime” coach.

The days of the Jimmy Feixs’ and Ed Diddles (WKU), hometown hero’s coaching their Alma Mater to retirement are long gone.

Now it’s bigger, and “better”, or bust.

But.....driving a 14 yo car while making $4 mil is telling ;)

And as a sidebar, I believe the days of stadium expansion (P5 and most FBS) are over.

Sidebar reply: It's interesting to see many stadiums actually reduce capacity while they upgrade the stadium (obviously, Louisville is an exception with the new endzone). Purdue took out the south endzone seating and will replace it with a new locker room, athletic facilities, offices, and luxury seating. USC is adding a massive press box that eliminates a lot of seating.

I don't have the link, but our latest commit, Milton Wright, noted that he's confident in Brohm being at Purdue for the near future during a recent interview. Purdue may not be a 'destination' school right now, but as long as it is trending in that direction, I think Brohm sticks around.

With that said, I'd probably bet money he'll end his career as the Louisville coach.

Sidebar reply: It's interesting to see many stadiums actually reduce capacity while they upgrade the stadium (obviously, Louisville is an exception with the new endzone). Purdue took out the south endzone seating and will replace it with a new locker room, athletic facilities, offices, and luxury seating. USC is adding a massive press box that eliminates a lot of seating.

I don't have the link, but our latest commit, Milton Wright, noted that he's confident in Brohm being at Purdue for the near future during a recent interview. Purdue may not be a 'destination' school right now, but as long as it is trending in that direction, I think Brohm sticks around.

With that said, I'd probably bet money he'll end his career as the Louisville coach.
Actually what Wright said was that based upon what he's heard from JB, "there's no concern from (him)" and that he "believes that he'll stay". Slightly different wording but I think important for the following reasons.

1. Nothing said by Wright about the last time they actually spoke - could have been before Sunday.
2. Why would Wright be concerned at all? he's only verbaled - meaning he's still completely in control of where he ends up - regardless of how the Brohm situation plays out - and will have numerous excellent options.
3. Why would JB tell a HS senior of his actual plans? Either if he's staying at Purdue or leaving? That would make ZERO sense - business wise or otherwise.

Brohm has to realize that these opportunities don’t come along often. Realistically, he could never get another crack at this job and he’d have to ask himself: was it worth staying at Purdue? My point is simply this: JB has likely thought many times about being the HC here. As recently as this preseason making that a reality seemed at least 5 years away. Now opportunity knocks.
How many times did Roy Williams pass up NC before going there? To say that this is the only chance that Brohm has to return is foolish.

I don't think Louisville is competing with Purdue for Brohm. I don't think he'll be at Purdue next year, regardless. A number of programs are going to dump their coaches after the season. The ADs at those schools are already talking to Brohm's agent.

Brohm just beat Ohio State and Urban Meyer. People are desperate to win and he's the hot coach. He's going to get high level offers. The only question is whether he's more interested in going home to coach at Louisville, or if he wants to coach at places like Auburn, USC, or maybe even the Cleveland Browns.

And Louisville is no destination school, but who is? Jimbo Fisher just left FSU for Texas A&M. The only destination for many guys is the biggest pile of money. I just hope Brohm is more interested in coaching at home.

Purdue is very similar to Kentucky in football. Giddy over 6-7 win seasons, certain to suck 7 years out of an average decade.

Lol if you truly believe that. That’s an insult to Purdue football. UK is closer to IU than Purdue. Purdue and UL arent that different historically.

I was curious about the UK/Purdue comparison. Stats below are from Wikipedia, admittedly cherry-picked. Anything in parenthesis is my commentary. Hold on to your hats!

Purdue All-time wins: 613.
UK All-time wins: 612.
(Advantage, Purdue? ...)

Purdue Bowl wins: 10
UK Bowl wins: 8

Major Bowls, Purdue: Rose - 1966, 2000
Major Bowls, UK: Orange - 1949, Sugar - 1950, Cotton - 1951 (If someone wants to argue Cotton isn't a Major bowl I won't fight too hard...)

Purdue unclaimed National Championship (IMO to their credit unclaimed): 1931
UK claimed NC: 1950

Purdue conference titles: 12 (1 in my lifetime)
UK conference titles: 2 (1 in my lifetime. Yes, I'm THAT old!)

Purdue Consensus All-Americans: 20
UK Consensus All-Americans: 10

Also, from Pro FB HOF website:
NFL HOF greatest players, Purdue: Gob Griese, Hank Stram, Rod Woodson, Len Dawson, Drew Brees (I'm putting him in there, let's be real).
NFL HOF greats, UK: George Blanda, Dermontti Dawson
---

Looking at those numbers, it's a tough call, but I'm going to say Purdue is in fact the superior program. But not by a mile.

There are only a couple destination jobs, but only because the coach wants it to be his final spot. Dabo may bolt for Bama when Saban retires. Saban left LSU. Louisville and Purdue aren't destination jobs. If Brohm proves to be wildly successful at either place he will leave. Wildly successful at both schools is 9 or 10 win seasons and a couple of playoff appearances over next 5 years. The path is easier at Louisville which I originally didn't believe.

Whomever the coach is all you want them to do is leave the program in a better place than when they arrived. I don't think you limit your option because you are afraid they will leave. You just don't a coach to leave after 1 or 2 years like could happen withn Brohm.

Someone pin this post on both boards please

Reactions: BOILERBOY
Someone pin this post on both boards please
The reality of the situation is that Purdue posters started showing up here three weeks ago and began talking shit about UofL - how it’s a dumpster fire and beneath Jeff Brohm ‘s consideration. I don’t recall any posts / threads here crapping on Purdue until after that occurred - and even if there were some mild ones - THIS IS A LOUISVILLE BOARD. We get to say what we want here.

Don’t start none - won’t be none.

The reality of the situation is that Purdue posters started showing up here three weeks ago and began talking shit about UofL - how it’s a dumpster fire and beneath Jeff Brohm ‘s consideration. I don’t recall any posts / threads here crapping on Purdue until after that occurred - and even if there were some mild ones - THIS IS A LOUISVILLE BOARD. We get to say what we want here.

Don’t start none - won’t be none.
There was shit posting by both fanbases on each other's free boards, and the "they started it" argument doesn't really hold water unless you can link a specific post you're referring to where a Purdue fan fired the first shot.

There was shit posting by both fanbases on each other's free boards, and the "they started it" argument doesn't really hold water unless you can link a specific post you're referring to where a Purdue fan fired the first shot.
False.

We have been discussing the Petrino situation - in earnest - for about 5-6 weeks. In the course of those discussions the topic of Brohm replacing Petrino came up. This caused boil fans who were no doubt lurking here to begin to post why they believed that Brohm should stay at purdoo. Everything ratcheted up from there.

As much as I’d love to go back through the posts to find “boil poster zero” - I’ve got better things to do with my time. The bottom line is, boil fans should either be less nervous and thin skinned or, they should head back to the purdoo site where they can say whatever they’d like.

I'll be happy whenever we get our new coach, one way or another we can all move on from this Purdue-Louisville kerfuffle.

Anyone who thinks Purdue is on the same level as Louisville when it come to football over the years. Needs their head examined.

Purdue is a bottom dweller football program. Only 2 winning seasons since 2006 lol.

If Louisville wants Brohm. They will get him

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT