ADVERTISEMENT

Puerto Rico post game

J-Rye_UL

6000+
Jul 30, 2009
  • The Puerto Rico national team is very legit competition, equivalent to a top 15 college team. Current NBA players and past college players who were very good. The junior team is the equivalent of a low tier ACC team, but were not playing any starters against that team.
  • UofL lost both games tonight, but both were very competitive
  • The game against the national team was EXTREMELY chippy. Seems like a fight could break out at any minute but then the players would be fist bumping and slapping asses next time down the court. Great competition and seems to be a mutual respect although there were some dirty plays
  • The officiating is as lopsided as you would expect. I can't imagine these guys are getting paid much, but they're definitely aware of the pride at stake for their national team.
  • Onto the players ... Damion Lee is the real deal. Haven't seen the official box score but they said he put up 36 points. Lightning quick release from outside. Can put it on the deck, pull up, or get to the rim and finish through contact. Don't think he missed a free throw all night.
  • Trew Lewis is a bulldog. Great competitor, but he was really frustrated by the poor officiating. Has a nice stroke but has a quick trigger. He'll be a good leader for this team.
  • Chinanu Onuaku showed great progress. He was really looking to start the break off defensive boards, to a fault sometimes. He was really carving out space on the offensive boards and was finishing strong in traffic. The underhand free throws were not effective - finishing 3 of 6.
  • Quentin Snider is noticeably more athletic. Got up and down the floor really fast and made some great passes. Struggled shooting the ball, but I like him as our starting PG.
  • Anas Mahmoud is just a basketball player. Even at 7'0 tall, he always seems to make the right play offensively and has great timing on the defensive end. If it were up to me, he'd be the leader for the starting PF spot.
  • Mangok Mathiang showed an improved aggressiveness on the offensive end. Showed a little ability to put the ball on the deck, but he's just never going to be an offensive threat. He'll be the best role player on the team though with his hustle and rebounding ability on the offensive end.
  • Jaylen Johnson was aggressive and made some athletic moves to the basket, but struggled finishing. He'll be a good player for us, but he's not going to be a 10 point per game player. I like his work ethic on the glass.
  • Matz Stockman is not a basketball player. He missed two uncontested dunks in the first half, and was probably 0-8 in the first half from 5 feet around the basket. Usually lost on defense and seems to whiff on blocks. He showed some moxy by staying aggressive in the 2nd half to make up for the poor first half, but I didn't like what I saw from him.
  • David Levitch is still David Levitch. He provides good depth for the end of the first half.
  • Onto the newcomers, Donovan Mitchell had a rough night. Lost his handle quite a few times, but he showed flashes of the athleticism I was hoping to see on the defensive end. I'm going to have to see a few more nights from him to really gage it, but Snider is the starter over him at this point.
  • Deng Adel looks really promising. Long, athletic, energetic, and above average skill. Can hid the mid range shot and drive aggressively to the bucket. He will definitely carve out a role on this team, with great potential down the road.
  • Ray Spalding doesn't have a very clear role to me. He spend a lot of time on the perimeter but really struggles with his handle and passing ability. Moves like a deer ... sometimes a baby deer, but he has size, length, and speed that can't be taught. Will be a solid defensive role player.
  • Jay Henderson adds some very legitimate depth in the backcourt. This is a sneaky good late pickup by the coaching staff. Fans will like. Can lock down on defense and hit a few open 3's.
I'm sure I forgot a few things, but I'll try to keep a running update as I learn more from these games.

Just saw some of the 2nd game against the national team. Not sure I've ever seen more hacking, grabbing in a while and I think it took the Cards players by surprise. I don't think they expected anything like that and some of them were getting visibly frustrated (especially Mitchell, I think). Once they get used to the style and pace of play, we'll be okay. A great learning experience. Onuaku really impressed me with his ability to move and his athleticism. I think he's going to be very good this year.

Lee is definitely a hell of a player. The commentators thought he could be the first to average 20+ in a long time and I agree. Smooth, quick, consistent outside shot, smart, moves great without the ball. He's going to be a handful for anyone to stop. Couldn't tell much about Mitchell or Lewis because of how physical the game was - at least in part. Lewis struck me as a fighter who gave back a lot of the physical bumps. I think Mitchell will be the same when he gets acclimated.

Agree with most of the poster above with everyone else.

Thanks for the rundown J. I wasn't able to watch but heard that we lost both games and that our best didn't play in the first game.

It will probably take some time for them to come together in real game situations. A lot of new pieces

Good breakdown of the games, Rye. Appreciate it.

Kind of disappointing to hear that about Matz. I mean we don't expect him to beast up the middle but hearing that he missed wide open dunks and had a very bad game isn't great.But that said it was just a couple of exhibition games.

Glad to hear some guys showed improvement and that Lee and Lewis are as advertised. This team really needs both guys to play big this season.

Last edited:
Matz is starting his sophomore season. Considering his background and his potential as a 7+ footer, I have no concerns or predictions how far his development takes him/us...

Anas was as ineffective and out of position as he was last year. I was hoping he would be more acclimated to the pace of play but he plays like the game is still to quick for him. After a year in the program I was hoping to see more improvement from him, but he's still weak, gets pushed around and is still a step slow in defensive positioning.

There was a stretch in the 2nd game were he had 3 straight defensive breakdowns costing points.

The second half of the first game Matz woke up. Didnt miss a shot and he was more consistant. I saw tremendous improvement from him. He has several more games where he is going to get 30 plus minutes and its only going to help him.

The surprise to me was Spalding. He is the starting 4 at this point IMO...

Nanu
Spalding
Lee
Lewis
Snider

Are our best 5 right now

Henderson needs clock

Im not ready to write off our guys after one exhibition.....

Anas was as ineffective and out of position as he was last year. I was hoping he would be more acclimated to the pace of play but he plays like the game is still to quick for him. After a year in the program I was hoping to see more improvement from him, but he's still weak, gets pushed around and is still a step slow in defensive positioning.

There was a stretch in the 2nd game were he had 3 straight defensive breakdowns costing points.
Did you watch the first game? Mahmoud played in both. He was definitely affected by a physical game with no officiating. He looked very good in game 1.

Crazy stat ... Trey Lewis took 4 less shots than Damion Lee but scored 23 less points.

My take away was there are a bunch of new faces on this team and it will take sometime to come together. You could see that on both ends of the court.

Offensively they looked pretty good till the mid point of the third quarter even with all the holding and grabbing that was going on. At that point things offensively started taking bad shots and stopped moving the ball.

Defensively, pretty tough to defend with their ability to shoot. They have a PG that is a legit NBA player. They played pretty good for 3 quarters then they got wore down and had trouble them stopping them.

They all need to figure out their role. That will take time. They have to do a better job rebounding, that killed them in both games.

They will not face a college team that plays that physical and be allowed to get away with it.

My take away was there are a bunch of new faces on this team and it will take sometime to come together. You could see that on both ends of the court.

Offensively they looked pretty good till the mid point of the third quarter even with all the holding and grabbing that was going on. At that point things offensively started taking bad shots and stopped moving the ball.

Defensively, pretty tough to defend with their ability to shoot. They have a PG that is a legit NBA player. They played pretty good for 3 quarters then they got wore down and had trouble them stopping them.

They all need to figure out their role. That will take time. They have to do a better job rebounding, that killed them in both games.

They will not face a college team that plays that physical and be allowed to get away with it.

Did you forget we play at Rupp this year? The D-leaguers can be as physical as they like and they WILL get away with it. They always do. I might also throw Cameron Indoor Auditorium in there as well. At least they're conference brahs.

"Did you forget we play at Rupp this year? The D-leaguers can be as physical as they like and they WILL get away with it."

....yyyyyyaaaaawwwwwnnn. I guess that's the preemptive excuse for the outcome.

"Did you forget we play at Rupp this year? The D-leaguers can be as physical as they like and they WILL get away with it."

....yyyyyyaaaaawwwwwnnn. I guess that's the preemptive excuse for the outcome.

Yyyyyyyaaaaawwwwwnnn...and he's back. Quit trying to derail every thread into uk crap. This thread had nothing to do with uk and I'm tired of you and your fellow fans doing that. One poster said something you didn't like on a UofL message board. Get over it.

Like Shadow asked, please let it go. I'd like to keep this thread about UofL players and their performance in these exhibition games.

Reactions: beasleythecard
In the post game presser, CRP said he expected the PR team to slow down and get gassed in the 4th but instead that happened to UofL. But he said it wasn't so much because of cardio conditioning as it was because he thought the Cards were so hyped up mentally to start the game along with it being a very physical game that caused it.

I am looking at our bigs and which combination is going to consistantly give is 20 points/ 20 rebounds/ 5 blocks/ and 5 assists.

Matz is improved and Spalding is shoing that he may be a starter.

Mango needs to relax and play or he will be beside Pitino.
Nanu needs to work on free throws....
Anas is a 3 to me. Not a 4 or a 5 but a 3.....

OR point guard has a three year contract for $12 million with Dallas. There were several NBA players on the court. The game played out similar to that kind of game. They caught up in the third period, and maintained in the fourth.

Did you forget we play at Rupp this year? The D-leaguers can be as physical as they like and they WILL get away with it. They always do. I might also throw Cameron Indoor Auditorium in there as well. At least they're conference brahs.

Technically this guy brought up UK first...

My starting 5:
Onuaku
Mathiang
Adel
Lee
Lewis

That would be an interesting big line up- taller than the usual recent Cards teams for sure. I know there is a limited sample but how is Lee's ball handling ability? Does he have the handles to, say, bring the ball up the court or move with the ball to make some plays?

That would be an interesting big line up- taller than the usual recent Cards teams for sure. I know there is a limited sample but how is Lee's ball handling ability? Does he have the handles to, say, bring the ball up the court or move with the ball to make some plays?
He looked comfortable with the ball in his hands

Reactions: shadow force
I think its cool to have all of your weaknesses exposed in August so that you can spend time working to strengthen all weaknesses.

We need our bigs to pick up knowledge of boxing out and team rebounding. How to shut down angles with hips and keep hands up.

I believe that if we can have our bigs average 20/20/5/5 points rebounds blocks assists we will be a hard out come March

Depending on how Spalding develops, I could see him starting at the 4. He's looking really good for a Frosh. I could also see Lee shifting down to a 3 and bringing in Mitchell at the 2.

In my mind, Lee and Onuaku have been the two best. Lewis I think will be a very good PG - he's been throttled a bit by the physical nature of these games. Against other college players, i think he'll be fine - same with Snider, who I think will be his primary backup. Mahmoud a definite 4 and 5 backup depending on need.

I actually have been somewhat impressed with Matz. He better learn to shoot some FTs though! He'll get killed inside.

Reactions: beasleythecard
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT