ADVERTISEMENT

Projected win total

Maybe in year 7 things finally click or year 8 is the year Petrino leads us to the playoff and we finally beat Clemson but if not there's going to be a time where people get tired losing to every good program we play and going to the CarQuest Autosmart Quick Lube Bowl every year.

Again they have won 9 games twice why are you erasing facts from your memory? FSU at home and ND on the road were quality wins so they aren't losing to every quality opponent either.

Are you screwing up facts on purpose or do you have amnesia?

Again they have won 9 games twice why are you erasing facts from your memory? FSU at home and ND on the road were quality wins so they aren't losing to every quality opponent either.

Are you screwing up facts on purpose or do you have amnesia?

Of course he's got 1 or 2 of decent wins...I think it says a lot about his record that a 7-5 Notre Dame team that lost 5 of their last 7 is easily his second best win.

Also for every decent team he's beaten theirs 2 he shouldn't have lost to and still 1-12 against ranked teams, 1-3 in bowls, lost as heavy favorites to UK, BC, Wake, UVA....never beaten an ACC team with a winning conference record, so forgive me if I don't immediately find his couple of diamond in the rough wins.

I saw someone on Twitter ask the question "well what do you think his record should be in those 13 games?" Well, my answer was that he's literally 1 game away from it being the worst it possibly could be so absolutely any improvement would be better than 1-12. Lets not forget that UL is rarely competitive in these games either...UL loses on average by more than 2 TDs and gives up nearly 40 points a game when they play a ranked opponent. They were embarrassed by Alabama, Houston, NC State, UGA, LSU, Clemson and even though they only lost by 4 that embarrassing loss to a Mississippi State team that basically had an intramural coach and some randoms playing.

I don't disagree with your point about where UL football is and where fans need to expect it to be. I get it, UL isn't a blue blood and has no real ground to stand on when it comes to college football. Its just really frustrating for me as a fan to be yelling about the same things in year 5 that I was in year 1.

I don't disagree with your point about where UL football is and where fans need to expect it to be. I get it, UL isn't a blue blood and has no real ground to stand on when it comes to college football. Its just really frustrating for me as a fan to be yelling about the same things in year 5 that I was in year 1.

I get that. Just pointing out other teams have their reasons for losing too - and their fans don't like those reasons either - making the actual reasons truly inconsequential.

Team A's players are too slow.
Team B's coach is too conservative.
Team C's coach sucks with Special Teams.
Team D's coach has QBs that can't throw.
Team E's coach has QBs that can't run.
Team Flying Petrino's has guys that get annoying penalties.
Team X's coach is too risky
Team Y's coach can't recruit

On and on.

More beer. More laughs. Think of it this way. You know what's coming, so there is no shock impact.

I don't know how many we win this season. I just think it's way too early to to give up on this team and their coaches... way too early.

Reactions: Mike'sMarbles
Wake has not played well at all. I’m sorry but I’m not going to be impressed with UK based upon wins against a directional Michigan school projected to finish in the bottom half of the MAC and a school that won 4 games last year in the weakest division of any Power 5 conference. Virginia is very bad right now. Syracuse hasn’t played anyone. Right now NC State doesn’t appear as good as they were last year. Georgia Tech has a very suspect defense. Florida St hasn’t looked good. The only teams left on the schedule clearly better than UofL are Clemson and BC. That doesn’t mean the Cards will beat everyone else but it’s certainly reasonable to believe they will win a good percentage of them. Especially when the games against Wake, NC State, FSU, Georgia Tech and UK are at our place.
I said before the season I thought the Cards would win 7. I still think that. But I also think it’s more likely they win 8 than it is likely they win 6.
SEC East being the weakest division in power 5 football is laughable. The SEC went 11-1 in week one. UT being the only team that lost. I haven’t checked the week 2 results but I’d venture to guess that they were similar to week one. The SEC recruits on a different level than other conferences. It routinely has the most draft picks every year. Even in down years these programs are stacked with 4 and 5 star talent

Reactions: RogerIndy
SEC East being the weakest division in power 5 football is laughable. The SEC went 11-1 in week one. UT being the only team that lost. I haven’t checked the week 2 results but I’d venture to guess that they were similar to week one. The SEC recruits on a different level than other conferences. It routinely has the most draft picks every year. Even in down years these programs are stacked with 4 and 5 star talent
If you had read post I was referring to last year. The only SEC least team last year was Georgia. They were very good. The rest of that division was laughable. The Least, most notably UofK, has lived off the laurels of the West for years. As far as the PAC 12 South Georgia was far better than any team in that division. South Carolina, the second best Least team, was far weaker than Sou Cal but, at the end of the season, better than the rest of the PAC 12 South. I don't think Mizzou, UofK, Florida, Vandy and Tenn were better than any PAC 12 South team last year. If I ranked the two division teams top to bottom (LAST YEAR) I'd rank them Georgia, Sou Cal, South Carolina, Ariz. St., Arizona, UCLA, Utah, Colorado, Missouri, Florida, Kentucky, Vandy, and Tennessee. So while the Least had 2 of the top 3 they also had the bottom 5 IMHO.

Last edited:
If you had read post I was referring to last year. The only SEC least team last year was Georgia. They were very good. The rest of that division was laughable. The Least, most notably UofK, has lived off the laurels of the West for years. Name a Power 5 division worse than the Least last year.
You could argue that both the Atlantic and Coastal divisions of the ACC are worse this year. You have Clemson and VT in either division and not much else after that. Miami got exposed and has lost something like 5 games straight. They still might be the 3rd best ACC team. FSU is terrible.

At least the SEC East had 4 bowl teams out of 7. South Carolina beat Michigan in the Outback bowl. UK would’ve beat #17 Northwestern going away if the leading rusher in the SEC hadn’t been ejected for nothing in the first quarter

I am holding with my 8-9 wins and praying. Maybe something great will happen!

I hope so too. However, I know bad football when I see it and we have been heading down that road.

While you determined that out of those two games. I’ve been watching football for nearly 50 years and I’m not going to judge anything from those two games.

Will see Saturday.

There have been few expectations exceeded since and including the game with Houston in 2016.

Since then:

0-3 2016 (with Lamar)
8-5 2017 (with Lamar)
1-1 2018

Tough for Cardinals fans.

In that span,

4-4 vs the ACC
1-4 vs the SEC
1-0 vs the B1G
0-1 vs the AAC
3-0 vs All the Little Sisters (Murray State, Kent State, Indiana State)

Well, this really questions the validity of Bobby Ball 2.0. I do not believe Bobby will be here much longer, because he sure as hell is not getting it done. Folks this is year five and look at the mess! Time for some new blood for the program.

You make a comment that he won’t be here much longer which is ridiculous. But for laughs then who? And please don’t say Brohm because he’s proven nothing as of yet. So who. And whoever that person is will need 3-4 years, so that sets us back even further.

Louisville had zero depth when Strong departed. And you don’t play big boy FB without depth. And when I say depth I mean quality depth the kind you need in the ACC.

This year was not going to be a 9-3 year. It just wasn’t. Next year will be the year. If things go south next year CBP will be questioned and then he’ll be on the hot seat.

Now if things go really go south this year with a record worse than 7-5, I’ll be beating that drum with you. But beating that drum after these first two games is crazy.

Last edited:
Reactions: gocds and zipp
Big boy football is won in the trenches - plain and simple. You must have depth on both the offensive and defensive lines along with a consistent run game.

You can throw it around and have a good time with that, but until we are able to hire good assistants (not sure Bobby can), develop depth on the lines, and run the ball down people’s throats - well, then we’re just gonna be another program.

True....but how anyone can determine anything from those first two games; well I’m holding back any views until after this weekend. We have the weapons and we’re breaking in a new QB and his name isn’t Teddy or Lamar so it just might take a few games. And if people didn’t think we were going to have growing pains on the D well you must have had your head in the sand all summer. We are very young on D, we have talent so will get there. But this isn’t BB so it takes time.

But having said all of that if we finish below 7-5 I won’t be happy!

Yep....and honestly, I hope I'm wrong but if I were forced to put money on this seasons record, I would probably lean toward 6-6/5-7. Nothing over the last 4+ years gives me any confidence that UL will "exceed" expectations the rest of the way. My worry is that we limp to 7-5, lose to UK again, but Petrino is retained because we got back to a bowl and we start the process all over again next year. We get all hyped up about all the improvement the team is going to make next Summer and how much better Pass and the lines are going to be and we get absolutely drilled by Notre Dame, rack up 10+ penalties and look generally out of sorts once again next year.

Time will tell. I'm not saying get rid of BP.

My questions:

How much did Lamar mask? Were these 7-5, 6-6 or 5-7 (average) teams without Lamar? A transcendent generational talent on the collegiate level.

This season will tell us a lot. You can make the argument or case that this group needs another year.

I don't think it has to be a get rid of BP v. Pro BP argument.

As fans we do have to realize where we are in the pecking order of college football. Man it was fun riding on the high end for a few months. We got a taste and got spoiled.

You can tell the fanbase is getting younger. :p

Complaining about AVERAGING 8 wins a season playing in the ACC? You're setting yourself up for misery. ;)

- The first three years of our "modern" history started we 8-24-1. That was some tough sledding, but our 35k fans stayed the course.

- The next three we were 24-9-1 with a Fiesta Bowl win and thought we had "arrived"!!!

- Then, the next three we were 16-18, but we did have one 9 win season and a Liberty Bowl win over...Michigan State. (and a 10 LOSS season)

- The next four years we were 19-25.

Thats a thirteen (13) year record of 67-76-1, OR an average of 5 wins per season. Against as many Akrons, Tulsas, Marshalls, WKUs, as Miami's,, FSUs, etc.

But our 35k fans stayed true and built CS!

And now, we're going to gripe about 7-9 wins, in a P5 conference? 8-9 wins in not "status quo". It's "pretty darn good" actually. (That said, when stupid mistakes and lack of effort cost you a shot at 10-11 wins it doesn't sit well of course-but getting rid of that coach, for those mistakes, is not a smart move. He's the one that got you in position to make those mistakes in the first place)

Sure, I want to complete Howards projection/dream. But so do 40 something other P5's that have never won it. And probably never will.

Nobody knows of course, but if Nick Saban decided he wanted to come to UL, I'd have to bet some money that he wouldn't recruit nearly as well as he has at Bama. He didn't at Mich St. did he? Or even LSU. (but better than MSU)

As I pointed out before only one team from north of Tennessee, not named tOSU, has won the NC in the last 30 years.

THAT is not on the coach's recruiting ability. That's on location. Proximity to very good FB players.

So I'm going to try to enjoy it while I can.

You can tell the fanbase is getting younger. :p

Complaining about AVERAGING 8 wins a season playing in the ACC? You're setting yourself up for misery. ;)

- The first three years of our "modern" history started we 8-24-1. That was some tough sledding, but our 35k fans stayed the course.

- The next three we were 24-9-1 with a Fiesta Bowl win and thought we had "arrived"!!!

- Then, the next three we were 16-18, but we did have one 9 win season and a Liberty Bowl win over...Michigan State. (and a 10 LOSS season)

- The next four years we were 19-25.

Thats a thirteen (13) year record of 67-76-1, OR an average of 5 wins per season. Against as many Akrons, Tulsas, Marshalls, WKUs, as Miami's,, FSUs, etc.

But our 35k fans stayed true and built CS!

And now, we're going to gripe about 7-9 wins, in a P5 conference? 8-9 wins in not "status quo". It's "pretty darn good" actually. (That said, when stupid mistakes and lack of effort cost you a shot at 10-11 wins it doesn't sit well of course-but getting rid of that coach, for those mistakes, is not a smart move. He's the one that got you in position to make those mistakes in the first place)

Sure, I want to complete Howards projection/dream. But so do 40 something other P5's that have never won it. And probably never will.

Nobody knows of course, but if Nick Saban decided he wanted to come to UL, I'd have to bet some money that he wouldn't recruit nearly as well as he has at Bama. He didn't at Mich St. did he? Or even LSU. (but better than MSU)

As I pointed out before only one team from north of Tennessee, not named tOSU, has won the NC in the last 30 years.

THAT is not on the coach's recruiting ability. That's on location. Proximity to very good FB players.

So I'm going to try to enjoy it while I can.
Your facts and spirit are great. I agree with most everything you stated. I've supported these guys since 1966, and I will continue to. Forever.

One quibble: I imagine statistically that the AVERAGE P5 team averages winning either 4 or 4.5 conference games (SEC and ACC would be 4; Big Ten and Pac and B12 would be 4.5) plus another 1.5 semi-FCS or G5 caliber games each season, plus approx 0.5 out-of-conference P5 games. So that means that the 65 P5 teams average approx 6.25 - 6.40 wins per season, currently.

So, most fans would like their team to do at least a little better than average, thus a win total of 7 should qualify as a successful season, statistically.

8 wins would be very good. Not counting post-season play. And a team should win about one-third of its Bowl games if it has won 8 regular-season games.

9 wins would exceptional. Not counting post-season play. A team should win about half its Bowl games if it has won 9 regular-season games.

10 wins is boffo. Not counting post-season play. A team should win half its Conference Championship games and half of its Bowl games if it won 10 regular-season games.

11 wins and you may have played for the NC. With 11 wins, a team should be able to win 2/3 of its Conference Championship games and 2/3 of its Bowl Games.

And, yes, most of us know where we have come from. And what we have achieved. And we want BP to keep achieving and being highly successful.

UK would’ve beat #17 Northwestern going away if the leading rusher in the SEC hadn’t been ejected for nothing in the first quarter
And if UK had forced UofL to punt 10 times instead of 0 times last year they would have won that game. UK’s whole football history is nothing but a bunch of would’ves and could’ves.
But keep bragging on your conference. Like the LSU fan told me at the New Orleans airport the morning after the Cards 2013 Sugar Bowl win, “The only thing those boys (UK) have brought to the SEC football table is an individual serving of KFC coleslaw.”

Last edited:
Posted this on the premium board yesterday. This is Petrino 2.0's complete body of work in the ACC--all regular season conference games to date--and the annual trend...

ACC%20football%20rankings_zpsffjylefh.jpg

You can slice, dice, cherry pick data, whatever you want to make your case. But sampling a subset of this data set will never give you a more accurate picture than the COMPLETE data set.

Not only is where we are pretty damn good, #2 in the ACC, but our steady progression to this point flies in the face of the trend watchers. The "last 18 games" crowd. The last 18 games have resulted in IMPROVEMENT in U of L's performance WRT the rest of the ACC.

Facts be damned...

Reactions: fredburgcard
You could argue that both the Atlantic and Coastal divisions of the ACC are worse this year. You have Clemson and VT in either division and not much else after that. Miami got exposed and has lost something like 5 games straight. They still might be the 3rd best ACC team. FSU is terrible.

At least the SEC East had 4 bowl teams out of 7. South Carolina beat Michigan in the Outback bowl. UK would’ve beat #17 Northwestern going away if the leading rusher in the SEC hadn’t been ejected for nothing in the first quarter

Oh yeah. And IF a frog had wings he wouldn’t bump his ass each and every time he jumped. You do, in fact, have a future NFL running back but only if he learns that he “ain’t in charge”. You NEVER, NEVER lay your hands on an official and that’s why he got ejected. Pure and very simple reasoning. Your guys are poorly coached and that will come back to bite you in the butt as this season progresses. WTH I don’t even have to hope for that because as sure as Christmas comes each and every year on the December 25th, you guys will start a fight or piss off an official and lose a game that you should have won, i.e., UF last year. You weren’t going to beat UofL last year because we were the far superior team with the far superior player. Also, very simple. So take all of your “if’in” and just wait for the bad news - your coach and his staff suck.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

ESPN gamecast predictor has UL winning one more game this season (FSU).

Let's keep the scorecard going since the Houston game in 2016, in the spirit of fairness, updated with the most recent results:

Since and Including Houston in 2016:

0-3 2016 (with Lamar)
8-5 2017 (with Lamar)
2-1 2018 (with "Puma"/Malik)

In the current 19 game span,

4-4 vs the ACC
1-4 vs the SEC
1-0 vs the B1G
1-0 vs the MAC
1-0 vs the C-USA
0-1 vs the AAC
2-0 vs The Little Sisters (Murray State, Indiana State)

BP1 was 41-9
BP2 was 26-9 before Houston
BP2 is 10-9 afterward

Beginning with the Houston game, Louisville is:

6-8 vs Power Five (P5) competition.
2-1 vs G5 competition
2-0 vs FCS competition

Reactions: EKYCard643
Listen fellas I’m not trying to insult anyone here but if Orgeron can coach at LSU then Bobby Petrino deserves a little latitude at Louisville. There are down years in programs, there are don’t get caught in the microwave here and start doubting your coach. The guy can flat coach you all should know this yes maybe your in for a bad year maybe a couple but for what’s he’s done for your program does he not deserve some time I mean just a little. It’s still early yet and the wheels haven’t officially came off and some of this talk is insane you’ve been to a Bowl game every year he’s coached there.

Let's keep the scorecard going since the Houston game in 2016, in the spirit of fairness, updated with the most recent results:

Since and Including Houston in 2016:

0-3 2016 (with Lamar)
8-5 2017 (with Lamar)
2-1 2018 (with "Puma"/Malik)

In the current 19 game span,

4-4 vs the ACC
1-4 vs the SEC
1-0 vs the B1G
1-0 vs the MAC
1-0 vs the C-USA
0-1 vs the AAC
2-0 vs The Little Sisters (Murray State, Indiana State)

BP1 was 41-9
BP2 was 26-9 before Houston
BP2 is 10-9 afterward

Beginning with the Houston game, Louisville is:

6-8 vs Power Five (P5) competition.
2-1 vs G5 competition
2-0 vs FCS competition

I've been preaching this on here for a year. This program has been in a free fall since James Quick ran out of bounds 2 years ago.

Reactions: Louis III

Don't know why I am responding as you are clearly delusional, but I'm pretty sure NW lost a pretty good QB to a blown knee and their best defensive player to a BS targeting call......just saying!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT