ADVERTISEMENT

Payne Speaks About Last Season

i came away concerned about the team after the interview. KP had no passion in his voice.
and he is not going to change much so the good coaches will be well prepared in KP's years 2.
he said something about wanting Trentyn Flowers to fail, which i don't understand.

i came away concerned about the team after the interview. KP had no passion in his voice.
and he is not going to change much so the good coaches will be well prepared in KP's years 2.
he said something about wanting Trentyn Flowers to fail, which i don't understand.
He was basically saying he wants him to go through adversity so it helps make him better

Dude has rarely shown passion. He's as low keyed as it gets. I've said several times he's more of a sponsor coach, not a game coach. He's like Calipari, not Pitino.

If he has a team full of self motivated and talented players, he may win a lot of games. If the team is average talent wise and needs their coach to inspire them to overachieve, then be prepared for a losing season.

I don't think we're going to see KP the head coach at UofL longer than three years.

Reactions: OldhamCard335
Year 3 is no guarantee.
Let's hope not. I was told be a very connected source he wasn't getting year two but apparently there was a power play to keep him in place.. I think all bets are off when it comes to how long he'll be around. He'll probably have to quit for us to get rid of him. OR, maybe he surprises the shit out of everybody and wins games. I'm certainly not expecting that but would be happy to see it..

Reactions: OldhamCard335
Kenny is out of excuses. No more “bad hands” dealt. No more players to blame for losses. He’s got adequate talent to compete in the ACC and if this team looks anything at all like last year’s team (unprepared, lost, unmotivated and/or uninterested) then it’s on him…all on him. All he has shown so far is 4-28 and he’ll be a 4-28 coach until he proves differently. It’s all on him.

If Payne only wins 8 games next season will he be out?
Jesus.......makes me sick to think about 8 wins. That would be 12 wins out of 65 or so games. I dont care what has gone on, you CAN NOT keep him. There are just too many coaches out there showing success year 1. I'm not saying we need to be in a final four this year, but we HAVE to be competitive. It just sucks all the way around! Either way I am concerned with having a good team again in the next few years.

If Payne only wins 8 games next season will he be out?
ABSOLUTELY! Listen, I am not a KP hater. I want nothing more than for him to be very successful because that means UofL is successful. I don't care who the coach is, i want to win. I am doubtful KP can do it, BUT I am holding judgement until this year plays out.

He sucked, the players sucked. I lay 75% on the players; their attitude sucked, their talent sucked and the team was not put together worth a $hit (this is on KP). Some of that i can understand how and why it happened, the cloud was real; but i do think KP felt he would get a pass on last year and may not have worked as hard as possible to change the roster that is on him. He also may have thought he could "fix" or change their games enough to get by. Maybe he miscalculated their talent and motivation.

Whatever the excuses were for last year there are NONE for this year. He remade the roster without a cloud and with full knowledge of the players he kept. He definitely has improved the talent and there is more than enough to expect a winning season (which isn't enough in my opinion). I expect a NCAA bid.

8 wins = new coach

who is teaching defense on the staff?
Manning and KP weren't exactly known for their defense in college.

you can already see a problem in Koron Davis defense in the still twitter photo.
he is too far away from Skyy Clark and just playing straight away means he is toast on defense. there is nobody on the staff to clear this up.

Payne's issue seems to be that he's the sort of coach that doesn't step back and self examine. He just experienced the worst season in program history and changed ZERO things this off season. We are going into this season with more potential - but the roster makeup is essentially the same.

Evans/Curry
BHH/BHH
Flowers/Lands
James/James
Skyy/Ellis
White/Withers
Traynor/Traynor
Okorafor/Okorafor
Miller/Miller
Davis/Fabio
Danilo/Ree

Then there's Wheeler on last years team and Glenn and Curtis Williams on this years team nice depth on Glenn and Williams but neither are ball handlers and neither alleviate any of the issues we saw from last year. More potential but the same issues of ball handling and no true guards. Louisville finished 341st in the country in turnovers last year and based on previous years stats the current roster has a negative assist/turnover ratio. So we've gotten younger, constructed the roster in a nearly identical way as the previous year and added players who have shown in their limited experience to be mediocre to poor ball handlers and are expecting ball handling to be improved. This tells you that KP did not re-evaluate his approach and does not believe he or his staff share any of the burden of last years failures.

Despite his team looking absolutely lifeless much of the season - he made no staff changes.
Despite his team looking absolutely clueless and lost in most games - he made no staff changes
Despite his team looking unprepared for their opponents - he made no staff changes
Despite his team starting the season unprepared - he made no staff changes
Despite his team making minimal progress from beginning to end - he made no staff changes.
Despite the roster construction being a major issue last year - he built a very similar roster
Despite the rise of older/experienced teams - he made the roster younger.
Despite true guards being the lifeblood of every major/elite college team - he has 1 true guard - again.

Kenny Payne believes with all of his heart that his roster construction and this staff are not the issue. That fact will almost certainly be the reason he's fired.

Last edited:
Payne's issue seems to be that he's the sort of coach that doesn't step back and self examine. He just experienced the worst season in program history and changed ZERO things this off season. We are going into this season with more potential - but the roster makeup is essentially the same.

Evans/Curry
BHH/BHH
Flowers/Lands
James/James
Skyy/Ellis
White/Withers
Traynor/Traynor
Okorafor/Okorafor
Miller/Miller
Davis/Fabio
Danilo/Ree

Then there's Wheeler on last years team and Glenn and Curtis Williams on this years team nice depth on Glenn and Williams but neither are ball handlers and neither alleviate any of the issues we saw from last year. More potential but the same issues of ball handling and no true guards. Louisville finished 341st in the country in turnovers last year and based on previous years stats the current roster has a negative assist/turnover ratio. So we've gotten younger, constructed the roster in a nearly identical way as the previous year and added players who have shown in their limited experience to be mediocre to poor ball handlers and are expecting ball handling to be improved. This tells you that KP did not re-evaluate his approach and does not believe he or his staff share any of the burden of last years failures.

Despite his team looking absolutely lifeless much of the season - he made no staff changes.
Despite his team looking absolutely clueless and lost in most games - he made no staff changes
Despite his team looking unprepared for their opponents - he made no staff changes
Despite his team starting the season unprepared - he made no staff changes
Despite his team making minimal progress from beginning to end - he made no staff changes.
Despite the roster construction being a major issue last year - he built a very similar roster
Despite the rise of older/experienced teams - he made the roster younger.
Despite true guards being the lifeblood of every major/elite college team - he has 1 true guard - again.

Kenny Payne believes with all of his heart that his roster construction and this staff are not the issue. That fact will almost certainly be the reason he's fired.
The problem is he's almost arrogant about everything you listed above. It's like he takes no blame for last year and it was all the players fault. Its almost like he doesn't even know it happened. After last season I have no idea what it would take to get him out of here.. I really hope he pulls off a huge turnaround this year and surprises us all. If he doesn't and he wins like 10-12 games, I would bet he gets another year, and if he does you can stick a fork in Louisville basketball because the fans (the ones that are left) will be gone..

Bottom line, we need him to make the tournament or win less than 10 games this season. If he makes the tournament maybe he's not as bad as he has looked. if he loses big again maybe we can get rid of him..

We will see. Look dudes win games not coaches. There is no reason that team should have only won 4 games. There is also no reason those players shouldn’t have been 100 percent bought in. They clearly weren’t. Impossible for any of us to know how much of that failure is on coaches or players. All we know is they won 4 games everyone sucks at that point.

I personally don’t see the value of a coach saying it was my fault to the public. What does that solve? It like a player that screws up saying my bad. No shit everyone can see that you threw it 10 rows into the stands. I don’t like the player more because his admits his mistakes. His job is to win games and we sure don’t want to hear him praise himself if he starts winning games.

It is a bottom line business win games. He knows that. We will see if they start doing that.

Reactions: REDFISTFURY3
I really don’t think he can coach. If he spent as much time teaching defense, rebounding, blocking out or offense strategies as he does talking about culture we would have won many more games last season. And yet, we hear more about culture during his presser yesterday. This year, no more blaming players. You own this KP!

Reactions: Cardiac Red
in what other job can you say " i was dealt a bad hand" and that will be accepted?
i don't even think that flies if you are the McDonalds fry guy.
payne told the truth. What kind of a recruit would any program get when it was expected to get the death penalty?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT