ADVERTISEMENT

One on One ball

Total lack of focus tonite for some reason already two three point shooting fouls turnovers no ball movement and bad defense

I’m guilty of this myself sometimes but why do we always post the negative stuff? How about Mahmoud seems to be more aggressive tonight? That’s what I noticed.
Well prety much the observations i posted were echoed throughout the game by Dickey V also. Things didn't pick up until really the last 5 minuetes of the half bascially. Anas is doing okay

Yeah if we believed what you wrote, we would be losing by 20 pts
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well prety much the observations i posted were echoed throughout the game by Dickey V also. Things didn't pick up until really the last 5 minuetes of the half bascially. Anas is doing okay
Saying the same things as Vitale is not thing the same thing as being right.

Vitale is terrible and (a) has been for a decade.

Miami was playing some pretty tough D. We ain't perfect, but being in these games against good teams on the road is no small feat. Like the job DP is doing...

Reactions: Cue Card
Saying the same things as Vitale is not thing the same thing as being right.

Vitale is terrible and (a) has been for a decade.
I know we could have rebounded better but the one play Vitale kept saying you got to block out was a ball that was shot so hard it bounced almost back to the foul line. I don’t care how good you block out you can’t position yourself for that kind of rebound. Even Ravich made a point that the guys underneath had blocked out.

Perry has been horrible since conference play, he hurts us.
IMO, Perry is gonna be the key to this team success moving forward. We have got to get another guard and particularly a point guard who can give us some quality minutes, and right now the kid is not doing that. It causes Snider to have to play too many minutes. Ryan seemed to log a few more minutes than normal tonight as well. But when you put Perry in and he doesn't seem ready for prime time, you have no choice but to sit him and play Snider and Ryan too many minutes. I think his main problem is just slowing down a tad and playing more under control.He'll definitely be a key in the future.

Reactions: nccardfan
IMO, Perry is gonna be the key to this team success moving forward. We have got to get another guard and particularly a point guard who can give us some quality minutes, and right now the kid is not doing that. It causes Snider to have to play too many minutes. Ryan seemed to log a few more minutes than normal tonight as well. But when you put Perry in and he doesn't seem ready for prime time, you have no choice but to sit him and play Snider and Ryan too many minutes. I think his main problem is just slowing down a tad and playing more under control.He'll definitely be a key in the future.
I would add that both Snider and McMahon have their limitations and yes we need Perry to play some minutes to keep Snider from playing so many minutes. It would also make him more efficient as well, I think. There were a couple of times it seemed as though he didn’t want the ball in his hands. That’s not Russ Smith or even Siva as a senior, more like Sosa. Miami exposed McMahon last night. Ryan has to have space to get his shot off. I wondered why he often shoots deeper. We have to run curl routes or something to give him space and even when he has it it takes him a bit to get his shot off. Adel is not the answer as playing the PG. His handle is way too inconsistent to be effective.

Reactions: David Gilmour
Part of the issue was the fact that Miami decided to pressure Q's dribble for 80' in the second half. Given his lack of speed, he really had to work to get the ball up the court and I have no doubt that contributed to his fatigue and play in the stretch. It was a good coaching move by Larranaga.

As for Perry, I agree that he needs more court time but to get it - even as forgiving as Padgett seems to be of freshman mistakes - he can't make horrible ill-advised passes, take terrible shots or do stuff like foul someone taking a 30 footer. If he would simply stay within himself on offense and then provide the on-ball pressure that he's capable of - he would get more clock. Then he needs to work like hell in the off season on his handle and shooting.

The guys we're talking about needing to rely on are not typically players who have excelled for us. Darius Perry is a freshman. VJ King at this point looks like a marginal 5-star kid who was probably overrated at that, in the mold of a Wayne Blackshear with a confidence problem. And McMahon is a sophomore who was on no one's radar.

For a team that some think has a lotta talent, these guys are not where I would look for help. If they are, we don't have the talent we think we have...

The guys we're talking about needing to rely on are not typically players who have excelled for us. Darius Perry is a freshman. VJ King at this point looks like a marginal 5-star kid who was probably overrated at that, in the mold of a Wayne Blackshear with a confidence problem. And McMahon is a sophomore who was on no one's radar.

For a team that some think has a lotta talent, these guys are not where I would look for help. If they are, we don't have the talent we think we have...
My same thoughts about VJ KING. there are glimpse of pure basketball talent..........and then there are moments of "what are you doing out there" I was hoping for consistency from him this year in scoring. In one game he will score 15 pts and then in the next game he will score 6 pts.

My same thoughts about VJ KING. there are glimpse of pure basketball talent..........and then there are moments of "what are you doing out there" I was hoping for consistency from him this year in scoring. In one game he will score 15 pts and then in the next game he will score 6 pts.
I don’t want VJ to leave and I still think he has a high ceiling but he seems like a guy who, if he went to a midmajor would score 20+ points and contribute little else. He was probably top dog in high school but so was everyone else when they get to college.

Last edited:
I don’t want VJ to leave and I still think he has a high ceiling but he seems like a guy who, if he went to a midmajor would score 20+ points and contribute little else. He was probably too dog in high school but so was everyone else when they get to college.
Guy plays 13 minutes and his numbers look better than most of the team.

Guy plays 13 minutes and his numbers look better than most of the team.
He can put up numbers (points) there’s no doubt but I think David is trying to send a message that he needs to pass every now and then to his teammates, needs to rebound at 6’6” and he needs to get in front of people on the defensive side. I believe that’s why he didn’t earn the minutes like you thought he should.

Mahmoud seems to be more aggressive tonight?
I hope to see Anas become the guy that takes this team to a higher level.His passing skills might be the best on the team,but I want to see him become that facilitator.
I do agree with the op that there seems to be too many guys thinking shot,rather than pass.It's a contagious attribute that has to be started by someone,and I think Mahmoud is the guy.TEAM play will be what either elevates this group or holds it back imo.

That...and some more tenacity on the glass.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT