ADVERTISEMENT

"offense operates better from a pro-style set"

CardsDan

May 29, 2001
Fort Knox, KY.
"I've always liked the running game from under the center,” Petrino said at Monday’s weekly news conference. “I think it gives your backs some advantage, gives you some advantage of where you want to run, to the right or to the left. I think it does help a lot and makes it harder for the defense to key on or make calls on. A lot of people will make defensive calls based on where the running backs align when you’re in shotgun.”

Brandon Radcliff, who didn't play the previous week against Wake Forest, had a season-high 117 yards against Syracuse. Starter Jeremy Smith added 71 yards and a touchdown, and L.J. Scott posted 35 yards. U of L also got some of its best blocking of the season by the offensive line, and Petrino said Bolin made smart calls at the line of scrimmage.

Petrino said he feels able to call more plays for the running backs when the offense is working from under center.

"I call more runs that way," he said. "They get more touches. We have more success getting three- and four- and six-yard gains, getting better positioned to move the ball and not have as many negative plays. I think it's just the more touches the better they're gonna play. It's easier to get more touches when we're operating the way we did the other day."

"(Bolin) did good," Petrino said. "He did a good job of executing under the center in the run game, I thought he competed extremely hard. I'm really proud of the way he stood in there and delivered the ball and got hit, was real decisive on some plays. You have to get the ball out of your hands quick, and he did it and made plays."

Like he did in his postgame remarks on Saturday, Petrino praised Bolin for his well-placed 10-yard touchdown pass to tight end Cole Hikutini in the third quarter that was delivered as Bolin took a hit.
"He knew there was an unblocked guy coming, he saw the matchup," Petrino said. "We do have a check for that, meaning he has the ability to change the play, but he had the confidence that he knew what he was going to do and made the throw for a touchdown. So that's what's really good to see is the confidence he displayed out there in himself and his teammates."

"Offensively, it was our best game to date," Petrino said. "We ran the ball. We threw the ball. We were efficient."

http://www.courier-journal.com/stor...says-qb-under-center-helps-run-game/75471836/

Ive said in previous threads that Bolin is a quarterback. The other choices are not.

Spread the ball around to our studs.

RB
LJ
Quick
Savage
Crum
In the pro style

Hikitini
Stanberry
Lj Scott
Jeremy Smith
Wr
In the power i or pistol

Mix the plays but spread the ball around and this offense will put up video game numbers.

Lamar Jackson is a receiver
Reggie is a slash player

Get them the ball in space and they will get us yards.

Lamar Jackson is a receiver
That receiver looked pretty good playing against the #9 team FSU and a top 20 defense playing on a field where they had won 27 straight games.

That receiver threw for over 300 yards and 3 TDs for a QB rating of over 153.

That receiver also had us with a 14-13 lead midway thru the 3rd qtr until the defense quit.

It also just so happens that the offensive line played its best game of the year to date against FSU and it's no coincidence that the o-line had its best game of the year last Saturday against Syracuse. Funny how that works.

Bolin was great Saturday and the running game was very productive against a bad defense. While I do agree that the RBs benefit from Bolin being under center let's not forget we gained 19 yards rushing against Clemson who give up an average of 118 yards a game on the ground.

Its possible believe it or not to have more than one good QB. One with unlimited talent and a huge upside and one that is solid as a rock. Try to exhale and enjoy both.

"I've always liked the running game from under the center,” Petrino said at Monday’s weekly news conference. “I think it gives your backs some advantage, gives you some advantage of where you want to run, to the right or to the left. I think it does help a lot and makes it harder for the defense to key on or make calls on. A lot of people will make defensive calls based on where the running backs align when you’re in shotgun.”

Brandon Radcliff, who didn't play the previous week against Wake Forest, had a season-high 117 yards against Syracuse. Starter Jeremy Smith added 71 yards and a touchdown, and L.J. Scott posted 35 yards. U of L also got some of its best blocking of the season by the offensive line, and Petrino said Bolin made smart calls at the line of scrimmage.

Petrino said he feels able to call more plays for the running backs when the offense is working from under center.

"I call more runs that way," he said. "They get more touches. We have more success getting three- and four- and six-yard gains, getting better positioned to move the ball and not have as many negative plays. I think it's just the more touches the better they're gonna play. It's easier to get more touches when we're operating the way we did the other day."

"(Bolin) did good," Petrino said. "He did a good job of executing under the center in the run game, I thought he competed extremely hard. I'm really proud of the way he stood in there and delivered the ball and got hit, was real decisive on some plays. You have to get the ball out of your hands quick, and he did it and made plays."

Like he did in his postgame remarks on Saturday, Petrino praised Bolin for his well-placed 10-yard touchdown pass to tight end Cole Hikutini in the third quarter that was delivered as Bolin took a hit.
"He knew there was an unblocked guy coming, he saw the matchup," Petrino said. "We do have a check for that, meaning he has the ability to change the play, but he had the confidence that he knew what he was going to do and made the throw for a touchdown. So that's what's really good to see is the confidence he displayed out there in himself and his teammates."

"Offensively, it was our best game to date," Petrino said. "We ran the ball. We threw the ball. We were efficient."

http://www.courier-journal.com/stor...says-qb-under-center-helps-run-game/75471836/
I don't get the CJ. Is your title a CBP or McGee quote?

I'll tell you for sure how the offense operates better... When you're looking across the line of scrimmage at a team like Syracuse.

28 rushes for 19 yards is a pretty dismal day running the ball. And two-thirds of those rushes by Radcliff is a pretty bad day for him.

That was the rushing stat line against Clemson with Bolin under center.

And I'll tell you for sure how to hear more good news about Bolin even without a Petrino press conference. Ask his family member for an update...

o_O
I'm also reminded how you knew for certain based upon your radio interaction with BP that he calls all of the plays and is in complete control of the offense. I for one, know that the deep connection that I had with him, when reading his comments about the running game, etc tell me for certain that, the read option as a staple is not the direction that he wants to go, that in fact, the offense that he has run for the last two decades is the one for him.

As smart an offensive mind as he has, I would imagine that he will still incorporate some read option looks or plays for the correct moment but whether the QB is Bolin, RB, LJ or Jawon Pass, that guy better damn sure be able to step under center to take a snap.

BTW, the comment about Bolin's family supporting him should have been beneath you...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: CardsDan
Yes Zipp, we all know how invested you are in your opinion - and if we didn't, you're posting every hour to remind us. I'm also reminded how you knew for certain based upon your radio interaction with BP that he calls all of the plays and is in complete control of the offense. I for one, know that the deep connection that I had with him, when reading his comments about the running game, etc tell me for certain that, the read option as a staple is not the direction that he wants to go, that in fact, the offense that he has run for the last two decades is the one for him.

As smart an offensive mind as he has, I would imagine that he will still incorporate some read option looks or plays for the correct moment but whether the QB is Bolin, RB, LJ or Jawon Pass, that guy better damn sure be able to step under center to take a snap.

BTW, the comment about Bolin's family supporting him should have been beneath you...
If you're saying the only reason Bolin's in the game is to take a "snap under center", that's not a lot to feel good about.

If you're also saying Bolin has caused Petrino in any way, shape, or form to fundamentally question his own views about offense and the QB position, there's not much help for you.

I have to pose these as if-then conditions because I honestly can't tell from what you've written...

If you're saying the only reason Bolin's in the game is to take a "snap under center", that's not a lot to feel good about.

If you're also saying Bolin has caused Petrino in any way, shape, or form to fundamentally question his own views about offense and the QB position, there's not much help for you.

I have to pose these as if-then conditions because I honestly can't tell from what you've written...
Probably less to feel good about with a QB that is uncomfortable / unable to be effective from under center...

As for Bolin causing BP to "fundamentally question his own views about offense..." - quite the contrary my reading comprehension challenged friend. I'm saying that Bolin represents the type of QB that Petrino has been successful with for his entire career.

Unless of course you think that he built his rep on the read option / pistol offense. If that's what you think, than there's no help for you.

...As for Bolin causing BP to "fundamentally question his own views about offense..." - quite the contrary my reading comprehension challenged friend. I'm saying that Bolin represents the type of QB that Petrino has been successful with for his entire career.

Unless of course you think that he built his rep on the read option / pistol offense. If that's what you think, than there's no help for you.
What I think is Petrino is a great offensive mind, and like all great minds, they are their own worst critics. Instead of sitting back on his "rep" with the system and QBs he has deployed in the past, he recognizes that something better is needed. And he's been around long enough to see the way home. He's not the same coach with the same viewpoints he was from 2003-2007, even though a good portion of our fanbase is trying to force that to be so.

And I applaud a very successful coach doing what he always did for having the guts to change. If cast-in-concrete revisionists who know a fraction of what he does about coaching winning football will let him...

Reactions: mwatson61
Zipp, it's apparent you think we suck. You're posts have gone from debate, to downer. We can't beat anybody but bottom feeders. You point that out in every post.

As far as LJ, if this kid learns his progressions, he will be U-N-S-T-O-P-A-B-L-E.

It will be fun to watch. We will all be singing and dancing and making playoff plans.

But it's gotta happen.

Of course by then we'll probably have other problems to bitch about. :p

zipp I think that was a cheap shot at the OP. CD's post is difficult to disagree with considering the results. Belittling SU is truly beside the point and I'm on board with those results.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Well, I think if LJ could take a snap under center, he'd be in there (if healthy). We wouldn't have to bring in Bonnafon or Bolin for situation when we want to run those formations. LJ has to keep working to master the whole offense, including downfield reads and check at the line. When he does, he'll be a heck of a QB, I predict.

What I think is Petrino is a great offensive mind, and like all great minds, they are their own worst critics. Instead of sitting back on his "rep" with the system and QBs he has deployed in the past, he recognizes that something better is needed. And he's been around long enough to see the way home. He's not the same coach with the same viewpoints he was from 2003-2007, even though a good portion of our fanbase is trying to force that to be so.

And I applaud a very successful coach doing what he always did for having the guts to change. If cast-in-concrete revisionists who know a fraction of what he does about coaching winning football will let him...
Petrino is an offensive genius for being able to mold his play calling to suit his QB - which is why LeFors had plays called for him that Brohm never did - different subset of skills. But with that said, the play calls for both (as well as for his offenses at Arky & WKU) were all from the same power spread playbook. If you think that he was running the read option / pistol set because he thought something better (than the offense that made him millions) was "needed" and not a complete reaction to the strengths and weaknesses of Jackson, you're insane.

If saying that his power spread offense is better than the read option makes me a cast in concrete revisionist, then so be it. I've got plenty of good company - which includes Petrino himself - in that thinking. You? You're the only resident on the Island of Misfit Toy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Knucklehank1
Was there some confusion that there was a link at the bottom?
No confusion, I rarely get confused reading a message board, however, the link wouldn't take me to the article because I had already exhausted my free view quota. Thank you for your concern, but CardsDan was nice enough to answer a simple question without acting defensively childish.

No confusion, I rarely get confused reading a message board, however, the link wouldn't take me to the article because I had already exhausted my free view quota. Thank you for your concern, but CardsDan was nice enough to answer a simple question without acting defensively childish.

Yeah, that never happens. See above.

zipp I think that was a cheap shot at the OP. CD's post is difficult to disagree with considering the results. Belittling SU is truly beside the point and I'm on board with those results.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!
It is not out-of-bounds to refer to the level of competition when reflecting on achievement.

-----------------------
-Syracuse was a very bad defense. They have allowed low performing offenses to have non-typical success.

-Jackson has freakishly talented skills and is currently hampered with ankle injury minimizing a large portion of his skill set.

-Bolin had a very good game against Syracuse and built upon his stature as a starting QB.

These statements are related through correlation not causation. No reason one statement reflects poorly on another.

The crap about moving Jackson to WR is as silly as implying Bolin's lone factor of success was Syracuse's defense.

28 rushes for 19 yards is a pretty dismal day running the ball. And two-thirds of those rushes by Radcliff is a pretty bad day for him.

That was the rushing stat line against Clemson with Bolin under center.
Yeah,pretty bad indeed.CBP's traditional spread offense is predicated on just that,spreading the field with the pass,making the defense account for everybody on the field.That didn't happen against Clemson.

Clemson blitzed the young qb relentlessly,probably 90% of the time,checks were not called,blitzers were not picked up.Add to that,it looked like Bolin either was struggling with seeing the play calls or the plays were slow coming in,creating a lack of time on the play clock.Either way,it made for a long day trying to pass the ball against a very stout defense,which in turn made a very long day for Radcliff.

Fast forward to the Syracuse game.For whatever reason,the offense looked to be in the sets sooner,the qb able to dissect a little more before the play clock expired,the blitz packages picked up better and the offense able to pass the ball,making the Orange account for everybody.

I wouldn't ever mix up those 2 defenses.Clemson has an outstanding defense,but the inability to get anything going in the air that day consistently led to the dismal stats rushing the ball,imo.

Yeah,pretty bad indeed.CBP's traditional spread offense is predicated on just that,spreading the field with the pass,making the defense account for everybody on the field.That didn't happen against Clemson.

Clemson blitzed the young qb relentlessly,probably 90% of the time,checks were not called,blitzers were not picked up.Add to that,it looked like Bolin either was struggling with seeing the play calls or the plays were slow coming in,creating a lack of time on the play clock.Either way,it made for a long day trying to pass the ball against a very stout defense,which in turn made a very long day for Radcliff.

Fast forward to the Syracuse game.For whatever reason,the offense looked to be in the sets sooner,the qb able to dissect a little more before the play clock expired,the blitz packages picked up better and the offense able to pass the ball,making the Orange account for everybody.

I wouldn't ever mix up those 2 defenses.Clemson has an outstanding defense,but the inability to get anything going in the air that day consistently led to the dismal stats rushing the ball,imo.
I lost count how many times in that game #10 LB came straight up the middle untouched into the backfield.

Lots of blame to go around. Kyle not reading the blitz, offensive line confusion along with a lot of dancing and hesitation by the backs.

Reactions: earsky
I lost count how many times in that game #10 LB came straight up the middle untouched into the backfield.

Lots of blame to go around. Kyle not reading the blitz, offensive line confusion along with a lot of dancing and hesitation by the backs.
I watched him do it Saturday to Florida St.Somehow,you gotta make em pay for it at some point.

Reactions: Louisvillian
Zipp, it's apparent you think we suck. You're posts have gone from debate, to downer. We can't beat anybody but bottom feeders. You point that out in every post...
That's an exaggeration. We beat the teams beneath us and nearly equal to us. Heard this stat over the weekend... We are 9-1 in the ACC the last two years against everyone but FSU and Clemson. We're 0-4 against those two teams. Hate it, but those are facts.

And I wanna credit I think it was G-man for a pretty thorough analysis a month or so ago... He went back over Petrino's career and posted his game results against poor-to-average teams and against good teams. I don't recall the exact numbers, but the difference was significant--not unlike the last two years ACC numbers.

I think Petrino recognizes those facts even if they're lost on the "old Petrino" gang here. And it's why Petrino wants to change if people will let him. He wants to win championships, and he believes change is needed. Sure as hell can't fault him for that...

Well, I think if LJ could take a snap under center, he'd be in there (if healthy). We wouldn't have to bring in Bonnafon or Bolin for situation when we want to run those formations...
Maybe that's true. But for Bolin's sake, I'd want to believe there's more than that. Otherwise, his days at QB are numbered for sure. Bonnafon got at best spot duty in that role...

...If saying that his power spread offense is better than the read option makes me a cast in concrete revisionist, then so be it. I've got plenty of good company - which includes Petrino himself - in that thinking. You? You're the only resident on the Island of Misfit Toy.
Funny stuff. Where did you read me advocating the read-option or that Petrino wanted to run that offense exclusively? Is that what you're concluding simply because Jackson and Bonnafon can run those plays?

You won't hear Petrino say that's the offense he's adopted. He has simply added that to his thick playbook along with more and more QBs who can run it.

Some of you guys gravitate to extremes... Petrino's using at QB a lead footed dropback passer or a converted wide receiver who can't read a defense.

There's a world of difference in between...

Has anyone watched Dak Prescott Missippi St. That is the protypical Qb if Lamar was like him Bobby could run his style to perfection.

Attack on Cards Dan's ties to Bolin are off base.

If Cards Dan had been on this board all year harping about Bolin being on the bench maybe I'd consider I'd give it a second thought, but he hasn't been doing that.

He's simply posting a thread that include a # of "fact based" (everybody chuckle on that!) quotes from our very own HC.

"Fact based quotes" , "they ain't any good if they ain't mine."

That's an exaggeration. We beat the teams beneath us and nearly equal to us. Heard this stat over the weekend... We are 9-1 in the ACC the last two years against everyone but FSU and Clemson. We're 0-4 against those two teams. Hate it, but those are facts.

And I wanna credit I think it was G-man for a pretty thorough analysis a month or so ago... He went back over Petrino's career and posted his game results against poor-to-average teams and against good teams. I don't recall the exact numbers, but the difference was significant--not unlike the last two years ACC numbers.

I think Petrino recognizes those facts even if they're lost on the "old Petrino" gang here. And it's why Petrino wants to change if people will let him. He wants to win championships, and he believes change is needed. Sure as hell can't fault him for that...
It is a painful fact that we have not won what I call a big game since January of 2013 in the Sugar Bowl. We've been close and I believe a more polished and healthy Lamar Jackson is a guy that can get us there next year with an improved O-line and continuity on defense.

The list includes (unless you count ND in an off year last year). 38-35 UCF in 2013, 23-17 Clemson in 2014, 42-31 FSU in 2014, 37-14 Georgia in 2014, 20-17 Clemson in 2015 and 41-21 FSU in 2015.

Gotta take the next step and I do think we have help on the way.

His OP was an article written by somebody else, not him... with "fact based" quotes from our very own Bobby P.

I mean he is giving you everything you demand of posters- a link, and a quote from the top dog.

It's an informative thread, and it's a good read.

You are making up the rules as you go to fit your agendas now, if you are arguing against a thread with a link and quotes from the genius Bobby P.

It is a painful fact that we have not won what I call a big game since January of 2013 in the Sugar Bowl. We've been close and I believe a more polished and healthy Lamar Jackson is a guy that can get us there next year with an improved O-line and continuity on defense.

The list includes (unless you count ND in an off year last year). 38-35 UCF in 2013, 23-17 Clemson in 2014, 42-31 FSU in 2014, 37-14 Georgia in 2014, 20-17 Clemson in 2015 and 41-21 FSU in 2015.

Gotta take the next step and I do think we have help on the way.

I think the road win @ ND was a very big win for the program. It might not have been Top 10 elite type of win, but plenty valuable. I get what you're saying, the wins vs FSU/Clemson, and the bowl vs UGA did not happen, and we need a big win like that.

When the QB is under center, it is a hell of lot harder to find the ball, it freezes the linebackers, slow down the rush of the DEs, and it also sets up the play action passing game as well. I love all of the offenses that have the QB under center,

Last edited:
...I don't know anyone related to Bolin on this board, but what you fail to realize is that many fans want the old Bobby offense which has been effective in the past. Bolin plays in that pro-style, pocket passer "system". It's plug and play. Many of us want to see a high octane offense and have not since CBP's return. I am guessing that we would not mind some Gardner too, as he is a POCKET PASSER...
And you're wishing for a bygone era. THAT Petrino is gone. Sure, he remembers how to run the power spread, dropback passing stuff. But that ain't the future as he sees it. Get over it...

Funny stuff. Where did you read me advocating the read-option or that Petrino wanted to run that offense exclusively? Is that what you're concluding simply because Jackson and Bonnafon can run those plays?

You won't hear Petrino say that's the offense he's adopted. He has simply added that to his thick playbook along with more and more QBs who can run it.

Some of you guys gravitate to extremes... Petrino's using at QB a lead footed dropback passer or a converted wide receiver who can't read a defense.

There's a world of difference in between...

Zipp (yesterday) "Instead of sitting back on his "rep" with the system and QBs he has deployed in the past, he recognizes that something better is needed."

"And he's been around long enough to see the way home. He's not the same coach with the same viewpoints he was from 2003-2007"

"Something better is needed". Better than what? One can only conclude that you are referring to something better than the power spread. The fact of the matter is that with LJ in there the read option / pistol was being predominantly utilized. Where that might be in LJ's current wheelhouse, many of us (still really looking for another person with your point of view on the subject) feel as though this team would be better off today - and in the future - running that offense as its staple - with Petrino as the play caller.

I like Bolin but I'm not advocating for him for any reason than he's the best option to run that offense. Give LJ some time and coach him up and, I will bet that he could run it as well.

And you're wishing for a bygone era. THAT Petrino is gone. Sure, he remembers how to run the power spread, dropback passing stuff. But that ain't the future as he sees it. Get over it...
LOL - That "bygone era" just blew the sh!t out of your analysis as recently as last Saturday. Why don't you stop acting like you have the first clue about what Petrino sees as the future. While you're at it, stop acting like you know football or sports in general and simply go back to trolling yut fans - it is after all, the reason you get any likes...

A little more apples to apples...not a perfect comparison, but as apples to apples as we can get:

vs Houston. Same defense. Same weather. Same stadium. Same point to of development for o line, wr s, and rb s.

Jackson played 3 qtrs, bolin 1.

Jackson: 17/27, 168 yards, 1 td, 2 ints
Bolin: 10/18, 157 yards1 td, 0 ints

Qb rating:
Jackson: 23.2
Bolin: 79.5

Offensive Points scored while at Qb:

Jackson: 17 points in 3 quarters at the helm
Bolin: 14 points in 1 qtr at the helm

Total yardage of scoring drives:

Jackson: 100 yds (75, 20, 5)
Bolin: 147 (75, 73). Worth noting bolins other drive was 39 yds ending in a missed fg. 39 yards would be bolins shortest drive. UL had 6 drives of 3 plays or less with Jackson. Different sample sizes, but worth noting.

The idea that Houston wasn't prepared for bolin would only hold water with someone with low football acumen, as every defense is prepared to face a drop back passer. The read/option, quicker to flee the pocket Qb is the one that requires special prep. The drop back passer allows you to play your base packages, and is what Houston fac d the previous week vs. tenn tech. I.e., they weren't caught with their pants down.

Again, a few minor variables to factor in. Not a predictor vs future defenses, but not a hypothetical comparison against defenses neither played against...its one vs. a defense they both played against.

A little more apples to apples...not a perfect comparison, but as apples to apples as we can get:

vs Houston...
It's not a debate that Bolin played better against Houston than Jackson did. Not sure who you're debating, but it's not me. The "My version of the 'eye test'" plot clearly shows that...

More funny stuff.

Then 'splain this... If Petrino doesn't see the future differently than our stuck-in-concrete faction does here, how/why is he recruiting QBs like Pass and Oden while trying his best to develop Jackson and Bonnafon? (Hardcore Bolin fans would claim the latter two AT THE EXPENSE of their guy...)

Besides their skin color, notice any difference between those kids and QBs like Brian Brohm, Gardner, and Bolin?

Or is denial just a river in Egypt?...
More unfunny stuff...

Believe it or not - and since you didn't type it I know you won't - Louisville has recruited more QBs than Pass and Oden. Take a look at all of the offers they've made and you will find many QBs that aren't read option guys.

Pass is on record as saying the reason that he chose Louisville over programs like AU etc., was because his belief that Petrino could get him to the "next level" - clearly indicating that he wanted to operate in a pro style/set offense and not one that is a read option. Why? Because there aren't any quarterbacks running read option in the NFL.

In fact when Louisville started running all of the pistol/read option sets, I was convinced that this would be the reason that we might lose Pass' commitment, not that he would be scared that he couldn't beat out Jackson for the job.

But the question to you is, if Petrino really sees the need for something "better", then why has he spent the best part of his pressers talking about what a great job the power spread did this past week and how he likes the QB under center?

It's not a debate that Bolin played better against Houston than Jackson did. Not sure who you're debating, but it's not me. The "My version of the 'eye test'" plot clearly shows that...

I'm not debating anyone in particular, just adding stats to the discussion that I've read on this thread, and heard discussed on local radio as to whether the offense produced season highs in several areas because Bolin played QB, or because Syracuse was a poor defense.

We can hypothesize that Jackson and the offense would have performed better against Clemson with him under center, or worse, or the same...and do the same with Jackson playing against Syracuse. I guess that type stuff keeps message boards hopping and attracts to callers to sportsradio. But, until the data pool gets bigger, or they both play multiple series against the same team again, we've got one game that compares them both to the same defense.

zipp, why don't you zip it up and take a break. I mean honestly dude. Take a break.

I don't know anyone related to Bolin on this board, but what you fail to realize is that many fans want the old Bobby offense which has been effective in the past. Bolin plays in that pro-style, pocket passer "system". It's plug and play. Many of us want to see a high octane offense and have not since CBP's return. I am guessing that we would not mind some Gardner too, as he is a POCKET PASSER.

Are you following this? Or are you still focused on family trees?

For me personally, I prefer Bolin over Gardner for one reason - accuracy. It appeared to me that last year we saw Bolin hitting receivers on the run, leading them while they were in stride. Gardner tended to throw balls behind the receivers and he also got balls batted down.

Bolin, I am sure he is a great kid, but it's the scheme that many people want to see.

Gardner is never going to play again so sadly that is not a factor. Great kid, too, and arguably our best QB [if only reality allowed that].

I think the differences we've seen early this year were dictated by personnel, Bolin and any other QB notwithstanding. I've made my case elsewhere for the year 2 comparison to 2004 and we don't have the level of experience by a long shot in 2015.

I hope everyone realizes in the course of a football season that a struggling young team can add some whiskers and chest hair and be ready for some things it wasn't ready for in Games 2-5. That has been my hope and I'm just as ready for high-octane as any U of L fan.

Reactions: Louisvillian
Appreciate your viewpoint.

But when Bolin's family member posts anything just balanced--not critical, I'll settle for balanced--about his nephew or whatever Kyle is, I'll get up off the floor and start retracting my statements about his overwhelming bias that taints everything he posts on this subject...
There are four or five of us posting here who are relatives of Brock Bolen. Take note, that would be spelled BOLEN. Why you would care, I am not sure. If you want a reading for a role on General Hospital, I assure you that you are at the wrong place.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT