ADVERTISEMENT

"offense operates better from a pro-style set"

There are four or five of us posting here who are relatives of Brock Bolen. Take note, that would be spelled BOLEN. Why you would care, I am not sure. If you want a reading for a role on General Hospital, I assure you that you are at the wrong place.

Brock was a hell of a player!

And you're wishing for a bygone era. THAT Petrino is gone. Sure, he remembers how to run the power spread, dropback passing stuff. But that ain't the future as he sees it. Get over it...

And how do you know what Bobby Petrino is thinking?

Instead of comparing styles and declaring one better than the other, it maybe interesting to discuss what if both could be leveraged based on real time game situations. Switching styles by plan and not by necessity (injury) or by picking the hot hand would provide an interesting dynamic and keep defenses off balance.

It is a hard thing to do for the OC and the players who would have to change styles in real time. And it probably a difficult thing to practice. But it would be an opposing DC nightmare to have to switch if the offense could change its look during a drive or even during a set of downs.

Though Kentucky is not a master of defenses it did throw them last year when Bolin (with an i) came in and instead of just running a basic running play they went empty and kept the drive going. They did have to call a timeout since they (and the announcers on TV) were confused with the empty set. But this switching in real time is not easy to master.

Instead of comparing styles and declaring one better than the other, it maybe interesting to discuss what if both could be leveraged based on real time game situations. Switching styles by plan and not by necessity (injury) or by picking the hot hand would provide an interesting dynamic and keep defenses off balance.

It is a hard thing to do for the OC and the players who would have to change styles in real time. And it probably a difficult thing to practice. But it would be an opposing DC nightmare to have to switch if the offense could change its look during a drive or even during a set of downs.

Though Kentucky is not a master of defenses it did throw them last year when Bolin (with an i) came in and instead of just running a basic running play they went empty and kept the drive going. They did have to call a timeout since they (and the announcers on TV) were confused with the empty set. But this switching in real time is not easy to master.

It is great in theory, but usually what happens is that it actually keeps the offense off-balance.

Reactions: Bluegrasscard
...until the data pool gets bigger, or they both play multiple series against the same team again, we've got one game that compares them both to the same defense.
Tough to make a case with one data point.

Actually, there is a second--the Wake game. I didn't dare remove Bolin's Wake numbers from my analysis because some of his fans are hanging their hats on how that game ended. And claiming Bolin's performance in relief of Jackson is what earned him the Syracuse start.

However, if you check the two QBs' quarterback ratings in the Wake game, they were nearly identical. Bolin's was 155, and Jackson's was 165. Both pretty good against the 32nd ranked defense...

Why do you think Bolin started the Syracuse game?
Like I said, Jackson's numbers were actually equal or better against Wake, albeit with limited opportunity for Bolin. I guess I'll have to believe what the coach said... The other QBs were "nicked up". I'm sure Bolin's fans saw it as more constructively for Bolin.

Before anyone accuses me of being a true Bolin critic (again)... It could be argued--which I'm not doing--that Petrino saw no risk in starting Bolin against the likes of Syracuse and UVA. I've already conceded on multiple occasions that Bolin does relatively well against fair to poor defenses. "Relative" as in compared to Jackson.

And why do these same questions keep getting asked, yet I'm accused of continuing these debate themes? Just I because I will debate them?...

I never heard an explanation on why the QB change was made. The question wasn't asked for debate purposes, it was more for informational purposes only. Sorry if it came across as debate.

Zipp,
Do you want Bolin to fail? Would that quench your ego? Us so called Bolinfans simply thought our offense wasn't performing as well as it should and mainly out of curiosity wanted to see what Kyle could do. Now do you clamor for LJ or even RB because they give us a better chance to win or are you onboard with KB as a Cardinal fan?

Reactions: Red Rager
ee26343d191b2cc347751637a261b3909aba33296e5d5bd6b6db08807ddad40f.jpg

Tough to make a case with one data point.

Actually, there is a second--the Wake game. I didn't dare remove Bolin's Wake numbers from my analysis because some of his fans are hanging their hats on how that game ended. And claiming Bolin's performance in relief of Jackson is what earned him the Syracuse start.

However, if you check the two QBs' quarterback ratings in the Wake game, they were nearly identical. Bolin's was 155, and Jackson's was 165. Both pretty good against the 32nd ranked defense...

I forgot about this game, good catch. ESPN has jacksons qbr for the wake game at 50.4, bolin's at 51.8. But yes, similar and neither outstanding. Qbr is a tough one because it evaluates passers, not quarterbacks. Obviously Jackson brings his own runs to the offense, where I'm assuming Petrino feels bolin opens up the offense better overal. I think we'll see both going forward, depending on the matchup. Just like the golfing adage, "horses for courses," (certain players are average on most courses but their game suits certain course...LEe Janzen and U.S. Opens, for instance) I'd imagine Petrino sees "Qb s for certain defenses." Can't imagine not seeing a ton of Jackson vs Kentucky as poorly as they play Qb s that can run.

Zipp,Do you want Bolin to fail? Would that quench your ego? Us so called Bolinfans simply thought our offense wasn't performing as well as it should and mainly out of curiosity wanted to see what Kyle could do. Now do you clamor for LJ or even RB because they give us a better chance to win or are you onboard with KB as a Cardinal fan?
Not sure where you were the first twenty or so times I have addressed this question...

I'm not a "fan" of any player--I'm a fan of the football team. And seeing the football team succeed is what "quenches my ego".

:rolleyes:

I have no problem with either QB starting because I think it's a coin flip on what they add to our offense currently. I'm not crazy about starting Bolin because he's proven on multiple occasions that he can come in to get us going when the offense is sputtering. Jackson has had limited success doing that, Auburn being the only example. If we're struggling offensively, for example, against Pitt next weekend, does putting Jackson in help any? I don't know. But if it were Bolin relieving Jackson, I would feel pretty good.

Again, all I wanna do is win every game. I don't care who gets the credit although I will analyze the hell outta the numbers to make it's the right guy, if one exists.

Thanks for asking the 21st time...

Not sure where you were the first twenty or so times I have addressed this question...

I'm not a "fan" of any player--I'm a fan of the football team. And seeing the football team succeed is what "quenches my ego".

:rolleyes:

I have no problem with either QB starting because I think it's a coin flip on what they add to our offense currently. I'm not crazy about starting Bolin because he's proven on multiple occasions that he can come in to get us going when the offense is sputtering. Jackson has had limited success doing that, Auburn being the only example. If we're struggling offensively, for example, against Pitt next weekend, does putting Jackson in help any? I don't know. But if it were Bolin relieving Jackson, I would feel pretty good.

Again, all I wanna do is win every game. I don't care who gets the credit although I will analyze the hell outta the numbers to make it's the right guy, if one exists.

Thanks for asking the 21st time...

Except you never even crunched a corn flake when reggie and lamar were the starters. You only started crunching after the last game.

..."Something better is needed". Better than what? One can only conclude that you are referring to something better than the power spread. The fact of the matter is that with LJ in there the read option / pistol was being predominantly utilized. Where that might be in LJ's current wheelhouse, many of us (still really looking for another person with your point of view on the subject) feel as though this team would be better off today - and in the future - running that offense as its staple - with Petrino as the play caller...
Then, answer the simple question for which there is no answer with your POV...

Why is Petrino trying to add QB option plays to his offense and recruit QBs almost exclusively who can run it/them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Then, answer the simple question for which there is no answer with your POV...

Why is Petrino trying to add QB option plays to his offense and recruit QBs almost exclusively who can run it/them?
Asked and (already) answered.

Asked and (already) answered.
I didn't ask why Pass committed. I asked why he was signed by Petrino (assuming that happens)--along with Bonnafon and Jackson and hopefully Oden.

Are you in denial about the difference in QBs on the team between Petrino 1.0 and 2.0? They're a little different f you haven't noticed, and that's whether or not you like the change.

It's happening regardless of what you and I want...

I didn't ask why Pass committed. I asked why he was signed by Petrino (assuming that happens)--along with Bonnafon and Jackson and hopefully Oden.

Are you in denial about the difference in QBs on the team between Petrino 1.0 and 2.0? They're a little different f you haven't noticed, and that's whether or not you like the change.

Lpt fans think Towles is bettee than Pass

1. Pass is / projects more of a Cam Newton type QB - where he will use his legs to extend plays in order to get the ball downfield. So in that respect, he's not a read option guy.
2. Bonnafon was a CS recruit but a good keep by BP - as you can clearly see his value at multiple positions. As I said before, BP put in some things to take advantage of his athleticism but tried to have him run the power spread for the most part - it just didn't work out.
3. Jackson and Oden are great athletes - why wouldn't you want great athletes on your team? Petrino has recruited kids before that were HS QBS and turned them into something else.
4. If you look at their offer sheet, there are lots of traditional drop back passers on the list. Why, if he's moving to something else?

One of BP's greatest strength is that he tries to install a plays within his power spread system that maximizes his current quarterbacks talents.

His system is the power spread - 1.0, 2.0 & 3.0. If not, why isn't Jackson starting this week? He's healthy. You seem to be the only one in denial about that.

1. Pass is / projects more of a Cam Newton type QB - where he will use his legs to extend plays in order to get the ball downfield. So in that respect, he's not a read option guy...
Where are you getting "read option" from? I never said Petrino is recruiting for a particular offensive system. That's my point--he isn't. He wants QBs who can execute different types of plays FROM different systems. His system isn't "power spread" anymore than it's read option. He and McGee call it "multiple", and they won't be pigeon-holed as running a particular system.
...3. Jackson and Oden are great athletes - why wouldn't you want great athletes on your team? Petrino has recruited kids before that were HS QBS and turned them into something else...
And if they're not going to be used as quarterbacks, then where are your quarterbacks?
...4. If you look at their offer sheet, there are lots of traditional drop back passers on the list. Why, if he's moving to something else?...
Offers mean someone you take if Pass and Oden don't come. And if it's not a guy with their skills, it also means you limit your playbook and don't exploit your full offensive potential. Doesn't sound good.
...His system is the power spread - 1.0, 2.0 & 3.0. If not, why isn't Jackson starting this week? He's healthy. You seem to be the only one in denial about that.
Jackson didn't start because Bolin played well against Cuse, and Petrino felt he deserved the start. I could also argue he saw little risk starting Bolin against teams of the caliber of Cuse and UVA...

I was out at the stadium about eight hours today. Were you?
I was in my seats in Section 229 as usual but I was only there from about 11:30 - 4:30 so I guess you win the stadium longevity challenge - lol.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT