ADVERTISEMENT

Not prepared

TheRealVille

5000+
Apr 27, 2015
No way Virginia is this much a bad matchup for the Cards. I think after the impressive win at Virginia Tech and all the "White out" festivities for today had the team not prepared for the rugged defense Virginia brings. I'm sure Pitino warned of this because he's always warning about the teams we play. But the guys just seemed to panic in this game. I have to say Pitino kept with the game plan of going inside because he knew Lee and Lewis were pressing on offense.

It's a learning experience for sure and I bet it will be a totally different game when we play at Virginia. We might not win but it will be a better game because the guys will be prepared and not distracted by football recruits and the color of the fans shirts.

I agree. They looked completely unprepared for this game. Embarrassed at home.

Pitino has been talking about how bad the defense is all season. The defense is just awful all the way around.

Reactions: wilkie01
I know most coaches sit guys when they pick up 2 fouls, but it was more risky putting Lee on the bench than playing him with 2. Needed his offense. May not have mattered today anyway.

Do the Cardinals ever practice at the Yum Center, or do they practice on campus? You know you're in trouble when you can't hit a basket in your own place, even right under the basket.

VERY DISAPOINTING! 2nd. place on the line, rankings, national television and
yes, the overall recruiting aspects of the game. The first half, they were actually
using our defense (no trapping, no blocking out, no going after the loose balls, etc.)
against us. You have to 'want the game and be aggressive'. On offense, as C P use
to state at UK, 'cherish every possession in a big game'! Today, we were just
lethargic. I want to see the real 'Louisville' - win or lose - on Monday evening.

The same thing happened to us last year in our first meeting with Virginia although it was at UVA. The Cavaliers led us at the half 24-13 in that game. Today we were behind 29-14. Unlike this year our guys figured them out and roared back last year and almost pulled it out, out scoring them 34-28.

Seems like we have trouble getting our new guys to understand how to attack UVA's defense when they face them for the first time. It's still no excuse to play that bad at home but there's a lot of games left.

At least we can say we haven't peaked too early. So there's that.

The difference between last year and this year is that we basically quit. I think knowing that Bam-bam wasn't 100% so lets just play it out and conserve our energy for Monday. How else does Spaulding and Adel (averaging 2 pts) become the leading scorers? Got embarrassed.

I still find it hard to believe that Virginia lost to VT, FSU and GT on the road. Then come into the YUM center and SPANK UofL.
That is the beauty of sports. Now we can surprise NC.
GOD bless America.

Reactions: pervisl
Don't know why anyone would be surprised about any ACC upsets. This is BB in January and there's plenty of time left for the big boys to step up and beat anyone. We are 2nd in ACC and have a big game Monday. Never count us out. A butt whipping does a lot of good sometimes. Teaching moment from CRP. Love them!

Don't know why anyone would be surprised about any ACC upsets. This is BB in January and there's plenty of time left for the big boys to step up and beat anyone. We are 2nd in ACC and have a big game Monday. Never count us out. A butt whipping does a lot of good sometimes. Teaching moment from CRP. Love them!
Not surprised but I am disgusted with the lack of defensive intensity. Bennett preaches defense first like Pitino does and Bennett's team listened. Pitino's team did not.

If the defensive effort is like that tomorrow night, they'll lose by 40. UNC is a much stronger offensive team than UVA.

No way Virginia is this much a bad matchup for the Cards. I think after the impressive win at Virginia Tech and all the "White out" festivities for today had the team not prepared for the rugged defense Virginia brings. I'm sure Pitino warned of this because he's always warning about the teams we play. But the guys just seemed to panic in this game. I have to say Pitino kept with the game plan of going inside because he knew Lee and Lewis were pressing on offense.

It's a learning experience for sure and I bet it will be a totally different game when we play at Virginia. We might not win but it will be a better game because the guys will be prepared and not distracted by football recruits and the color of the fans shirts.
VA best man defense i have seen in a long time, very impressed, every shot challenge

It will be interesting to see how this team responds...getting spanked at home in the bright lights of a national audience can have a lingering effect...it's just odd to have a team we really don't know being led by experienced guys (though they don't have this kind of spotlight experiences).

Here's hoping we figure this thing out...I really don't have any idea how we're gonna play tonight, but let's just take the optimistic view that we'll rebound (figuratively speaking) well and take care of UNC.

It will be interesting to see how this team responds...getting spanked at home in the bright lights of a national audience can have a lingering effect...it's just odd to have a team we really don't know being led by experienced guys (though they don't have this kind of spotlight experiences).

Here's hoping we figure this thing out...I really don't have any idea how we're gonna play tonight, but let's just take the optimistic view that we'll rebound (figuratively speaking) well and take care of UNC.

Agree. How this group responds t

It will be interesting to see how the Cards respond tonight playing against arguably the best team in the country.

How this team plays/responds tonight will tell us everything we need to know about this team. It would be great to pull out a win, but this team more than anything needs to show some true grit and effort in all phases of the game.

Who on the team shows true leadership tonight and guides this team? Lee and Lewis?

Who is going to give their all out effort, energy and focus on both ends of the floor? It still may not be enough to beat this UNC team, but we need to see better focus and energy out of this team.

Losses like this happen. It's their response that will tell us all we need to know about the character of this team.

I know quoting myself is odd. But I'm patting myself on the back this morning. I just happen to be a very optimistic CARDS fan. I never lose faith until it's over. Maybe we really do have some big boys emerging???

Reactions: Cue Card
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT