ADVERTISEMENT

No change in trend (financials)...

the artist FKA zipp

4500+
Gold Member
May 29, 2022
I'm posting a little different analysis of financials to try to focus on a single number that matters. I talk a lot about cash and liquidity, but that's only part of the story since plenty of businesses are bankrupt but OK on cash and the ability to pay its bills.

Net position sounds a little abstract, but it's perhaps the truest indicator of profit. When it increases, your revenues exceeded expenses, and vice versa. To see whether you're able to fund yourself, you only need to look at your change in net position.

Unfortunately, it tends to move around a bit in U of L's case. We have generally seen net position decline in athletics, but the ups and downs make it difficult to detect an underlying trend. I'm personally looking for any trend that tells me U of L's financial direction is changing. Here is a plot of the change in U of L's net position over the last several years...

Net-Pos-Roll-12-mos.jpg

A positive value is a surplus for the prior 12 months, and a negative value is a deficit. I'm using a rolling one year average at each data point for a couple reasons. The first as I like to say is because a single number or snapshot doesn't mean a lot; you have to reference something. So this shows progress or decline over a period of time. And the time increment here is important. U of L's athletics revenues are lumpy and uneven over the course of a fiscal year. It's not accurate to do, for example, a three-month or six-month comparison.

Most of the data points are below the zero line indicating losses. Assuming the value on 7/31/22 is a simple outlier, the Covid data points are not surprisingly on the low end of the range as are Josh Heird's last couple of data. The average of all the data except the 7/31/22 number is a decline of $8.8 million annually.

To compress the data range and maybe detect a trend, I applied a 24-month rolling average. More data are always better, and this unfortunately reduced the data set from 17 to 10 data points. All of the values are negative so I'm showing the results here as the rolling 24-month DECLINE in net position. A lower value is therefore better...

Net-Pos-Roll-24-mos.jpg

The last few points show an interesting trend, but they're inside the range of data for the entire set. The two-year average for these values is $16.3 million, and an average of $8.1 million annually.

For the hell of it, I also crunched three-year rolling averages that yielded just five data points...

6/30/2020 -$27,391,000
6/30/2021 -$20,372,000
6/30/2022 -$13,945,000
9/30/2022 -$33,390,960
12/31/2022 -$28,694,669

These values average a three year decline of $24.8 million, or an annual decline of $8.3 million.

Visually or arithmetically, it's hard to see any recent improvement in net position that would indicate a bottoming out in U of L's decline. If anyone else sees something, speak up. @Ipartiedwithhopgood this one's for you...

Last edited:
As of 12/31/2022, we had $4.7 million in cash & equivalents on the balance statement. That money has to sustain athletics until late Spring when significant money starts coming in from the ACC and next year's ticket sales. Budgeted athletics expenses are in the range of $20-25 million per quarter. Pretty obvious that cash on hand is tight.

Of course, you know that buyouts are typically "cash flowed" as salary continuation when a coach is fired. For example, if we paid Payne an $8 million buyout, we don't write him a check on the spot for $8 mil. We just continue to pay his salary going forward until that number in total is hit.

So you end up paying a coach not to coach--two in our case since Mack is on the dole for a couple more years @ $1.6 million annually IIRC--as well as the new coach. Let's wag some annual numbers...

Mack: $1.6 million
Payne: $3.3 mil
New Coach TBD: $4-5 mil

That's a total of $9-10 million in salaries/buyouts for a sport that has a budget this year of $7.4 million. And that doesn't cover assistants and scholarships which we can estimate at another $2 million annually incl. other expenses in men's basketball. We're now up to $11-12 million, or a budget increase of around $4-5 million.

To break even, that's in the vicinity of an increase of 5,000 fans per game in my estimation. That would be attendance in line with David Padgett's year (2018) in which we had banked a lot of the money with people thinking Pitino would be coaching. IOW that level of fan support ain't happening.

So it's a net loss to buy out Payne and hire a new coach, at least for a couple years. And we're an athletic department in 2023 than can ill afford more losses...

As of 12/31/2022, we had $4.7 million in cash & equivalents on the balance statement. That money has to sustain athletics until late Spring when significant money starts coming in from the ACC and next year's ticket sales. Budgeted athletics expenses are in the range of $20-25 million per quarter. Pretty obvious that cash on hand is tight.

Of course, you know that buyouts are typically "cash flowed" as salary continuation when a coach is fired. For example, if we paid Payne an $8 million buyout, we don't write him a check on the spot for $8 mil. We just continue to pay his salary going forward until that number in total is hit.

So you end up paying a coach not to coach--two in our case since Mack is on the dole for a couple more years @ $1.6 million annually IIRC--as well as the new coach. Let's wag some annual numbers...

That's a total of $9-10 million in salaries/buyouts for a sport that has a budget this year of $7.4 million. And that doesn't cover assistants and scholarships which we can estimate at another $2 million annually incl. other expenses in men's basketball. We're now up to $11-12 million, or a budget increase of around $4-5 million.

To break even, that's in the vicinity of an increase of 5,000 fans per game in my estimation. That would be attendance in line with David Padgett's year (2018) in which we had banked a lot of the money with people thinking Pitino would be coaching. IOW that level of fan support ain't happening.

So it's a net loss to buy out Payne and hire a new coach, at least for a couple years. And we're an athletic department in 2023 than can ill afford more losses...
People that understand how a business is run. Understand that basically we are broke! Can we rebound and improve? Yes we can , but FUND RAISING & WINNING are the key. Both are INTERLOCKED! GO CARDS!!

People that understand how a business is run. Understand that basically we are broke! Can we rebound and improve? Yes we can , but FUND RAISING & WINNING are the key. Both are INTERLOCKED! GO CARDS!!
Which is exactly why we need the adidas contract.

I still dont get why KP's buyout is so high? What leverage did he have? He never ran a program before. No one else was going to hire him. I get no one thought he would be this bad, but his buyout is more than most coaches out there....I mean Izzo's is only 7 million. I know all of that is water under the bridge but a bad look on Heird in my opinion.

• Haha
Reactions: REDFISTFURY3
I still dont get why KP's buyout is so high? What leverage did he have? He never ran a program before. No one else was going to hire him. I get no one thought he would be this bad, but his buyout is more than most coaches out there....I mean Izzo's is only 7 million. I know all of that is water under the bridge but a bad look on Heird in my opinion.
I agree except that the market determines coaches’ compensation to a large extent. And picture the fallout we would have experienced had U of L been perceived as trying to shortchange its first AA basketball coach.

Payne was a huge wildcard, and I would have tried to structure his contract with a larger salary and smaller buyout. Maybe a five million salary with a one year buyout. That’s pretty much a $10 million guarantee…

• Haha
Reactions: REDFISTFURY3
Zip thank you for sharing. Can you provide any insight into the huge data point on both charts? Seems to be either 3 or 4 data points ago on both charts.
Assume you mean the -$50 million number a few quarters back. I’ll have to look at the two comparative quarters again that produced the number.

Even without that data point, you note there’s a pretty wide range on the 12-month chart, from -20 to +10 million. There’s little chance that much variation is from true operating activities and cash flows. Must be accounting for restricted and unrestricted balances as one example.

It’s one reason you can’t look at one number to tell anything, good or bad…

Thanks, makes sense. Just wondered if there was something I wasn't remembering causing it to be so much higher.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT