ADVERTISEMENT

ULAA Buyout Math...

Why are we having this discussion? They will figure out the money issue and next coach or they won’t...
That's not an inconsequential outcome to many/most people in this space who assume money's not an issue.
...It is clear they figured out how to pay for the buyouts. The net expense after 2024 for buyouts will be about the same or lower until 2028 depending on who they hire...
If you're talking about the past buyouts (pre 2020), no question we had money in reserve then. Might have even been the case when we agreed to buy Mack out--still paying his--I'd have to check. No way that money is on account today.

And the "net expense" for Payne which I estimate to be in the range of $10 million isn't a given to be paid for. Depends on your assumptions.
...How about discussing the actual viable candidates their buyouts and salary based off your data?...
There are multiple threads on coaching candidates. For a broke athletic department that loses money every year, the only salary I know for sure we can afford is free.
...Goes back to if they hire the right guy. What is that impact?...
How many successful coaches/employees/contracts have we brought in after buying one out? The next one will be the first...

Every school had donors. WKU has donors…come on
Give me an example of a donor buying out (or helping) one of our ex-employees or contracts. Doesn't exist, and I know that reading the annual reports. The next one will be the first. I'm repeating myself...

The answer coming is "no donors." Never has been donors.

If Payne is replaced in a couple months--that's still a BIG "IF"--the cost will be self financed.

And the athletic department has no money banked and loses money on everyday operations.

When you don't wanna discuss how to pay for a buyout, you're putting your head in the sand. For damn sure it will be a huge issue for U of L to do anything fast and impactful...

EDIT -

The answer is coming when the season is over at the latest and I don't pretend to know what is going to happen.

The answer coming is "no donors." Never has been donors.

If Payne is replaced in a couple months--that's still a BIG "IF"--the cost will be self financed.

And the athletic department has no money banked and loses money on everyday operations.

When you don't wanna discuss how to pay for a buyout, you're putting your head in the sand. For damn sure it will be a huge issue for U of L to do anything fast and impactful...

Head is above the sand (thx for checking on me though)

Not IF but WHEN it will be a booster that covers the buyout. You can believe me now or later I really don't care.

Tell us more. Maybe have a few drinks before you do. Looking forward to it.
It’s Bridgeman of course but, I think that everyone here - except those with a tired and failed agenda thereby rendering them willfully obtuse - sussed that out.

I was told by multiple connected sources - all individually - that bridgeman contacted Heird in December and said that he’d pay the buyout, and that he should be let go before the yut game. Then - for whatever reason, he called back prior to the game and asked Heird to keep him until the end of the year but, still committed to paying the buyout.

Reactions: Ipartiedwithhopgood
It’s Bridgeman of course but, I think that everyone here - except those with a tired and failed agenda thereby rendering them willfully obtuse - sussed that out.

I was told by multiple connected sources - all individually - that bridgeman contacted Heird in December and said that he’d pay the buyout, and that he should be let go before the yut game. Then - for whatever reason, he called back prior to the game and asked Heird to keep him until the end of the year but, still committed to paying the buyout.
I'm willing to believe there's a ton of truth in your post.

Here's the math we know for sure. No year 3 for Ken.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
It’s Bridgeman of course but, I think that everyone here - except those with a tired and failed agenda thereby rendering them willfully obtuse - sussed that out…
So why does Eric Crawford contend that $8 million more is draining from U of L?

Oh that’s right, you’re better connected than he is… 🤓

So why does Eric Crawford contend that $8 million more is draining from U of L?

Oh that’s right, you’re better connected than he is… 🤓
Maybe you should ask Eric Crawford - oh that’s right - you don’t read him. Maybe you should ask Dan McDonnell, or Jeff Walz - according to your posts, you’re on the inside with them.

It’s weird though, you’re so often wrong. I mean, being on the inside and all. 😂

Either Ethan Moore or Nick Coffee said on their show today that JR had only pledged $2 million toward the $8 million... So we're still on the hook for $6 mil..

Reactions: the artist FKA zipp
Does it really matter where the buyout money is coming from? It has to come from somewhere. It is the reality of having to fire a coach (s). That is what they need to fix. That impacts the whole department. That drains the entire department.

This search has already shed a light on things for me. If reports are true on Louisville willing to pay Drew $8 and NIL being in the $3-$4 million. They have the resources. They have the freedom to move without fear of NCAA.

Mack failed due to NCAA and Louisville leadership. The NCAA dragging the FBI out for 5 years killed Louisville. It hurt Mack’s ability to recruit. It eventually drained Louisville’s roster. KP is hired with the genuine belief the NCAA was going to ban Louisville from tournament(s). It explains KP entire approach while also clearly showing his inability to adapt to changes. Even though they didn’t get hammered KP never altered his plan or approach.

I think whoever the next coach is they are set up to succeed.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
It does matter when ULAA just keeps digging a deeper hole and doesn't learn from its mistakes.

We keep borrowing money because we're losing money
. Not unlike the federal government that, like U of L, can't balance a budget. Granted, it's become the American Way. But find me any financial manager worth his salt who will sign up for that solution to your money problems.

Here's a better idea... Raise the effing money you need. Don't keep getting it BACKWARDS...spending it then trying to raise it.

Of course, we know the fundamental problem. They can't raise it, so we spend it anyway. Great plan in the short run...

It does matter when ULAA just keeps digging a deeper hole and doesn't learn from its mistakes.

We keep borrowing money because we're losing money
. Not unlike the federal government that, like U of L, can't balance a budget. Granted, it's become the American Way. But find me any financial manager worth his salt who will sign up for that solution to your money problems.

Here's a better idea... Raise the effing money you need. Don't keep getting it BACKWARDS...spending it then trying to raise it.

Of course, we know the fundamental problem. They can't raise it, so we spend it anyway. Great plan in the short run...
I guess that old (tried but true) adage that you have to spend money to make money is false. Who knew??!!

Soooo….how many successful entrepreneurs borrow to start up or expand their business? If this wasn’t a common practice, very few would even be in business.
What do you mean “start up”? We had $50+ million in the bank several years ago.

We borrow money because we routinely lose and waste money. Nothing successful or entrepreneurial about it…

We borrow money because we routinely lose and waste money. Nothing successful or entrepreneurial about it…
Start up and expand. I would also include investing in the future.
Anyway. Done with you. Many are done with you.

Starting up, as in having to reboot after Pitino torpedoed the UofL money maker. Gonna take some time to recover after that repeated shelling of the program. Even you, a staunch supporter of all things virtuous, must admit, after all those bombs dropping it would take some time, right? I mean even to such a HUGE Cardinal fan as yourself, you would recognize the apathy, with the ad and coach destroying one of the top 5 basketball programs in the country, donors and fans would have, right? Please gimme a pie chart to show how wrong I am this time, I grow weary of your graphs.

Reactions: OldhamCard335
Zipp, you have whined, seems like forever, that Louisville has stopped investing in its main revenue program. Now when they reportedly make a 8M offer and have 3M-4M NIL the switch is they don’t have the money.

All do is look at numbers. You never take into account factors the administration couldn’t control. Covid and NCAA issues in your mind had zero impact of the financials when both clearly did. Covid slowed funds globally. NCAA took an unprecedented 6 years to resolve. The NCAA mess was created by Pitino not the administration. You act like the stripper scandal didn’t happen. Pitino may of been the only guy to led them out of this but it was never going to happen because of another the previous scandal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT