ADVERTISEMENT

NFL's early scouting report on Lamar.

I didn't agree with the strength/size/poise assessments. He seems to have the perfect combination of strength/size and speed. A lot of times he didn't get tackled after running plays. Suggesting he was a hard guy to bring down. As for poise, I think he started working on that too much at the end of the year. He was at his best when he was looking to run if nothing was open. I thought he often tried to extend the pass play too much at the end of the year.

I thought it was spot on. We all know he has accuracy issues. We all know he has TO issues. I disagree with Omega in that he does need to work on his size. He has a slight build and needs to add some mass. Of course that's true of most 19 year olds. I think he needs at least 10 pounds of muscle, possibly 15 depending on the tradeoff in speed and mobility.

Reactions: beasleythecard
I thought it was spot on. We all know he has accuracy issues. We all know he has TO issues. I disagree with Omega in that he does need to work on his size. He has a slight build and needs to add some mass. Of course that's true of most 19 year olds. I think he needs at least 10 pounds of muscle, possibly 15 depending on the tradeoff in speed and mobility.

I think what makes him special is he's so strong in a low mass body. He literally blew by and ran over opponents all the way to the Heisman this year.

Reactions: zipp
I think what makes him special is he's so strong in a low mass body. He literally blew by and ran over opponents all the way to the Heisman this year.

I agree, but we're talking about as an NFL prospect. Those guys are a lot bigger and faster. There's freaks like Von Miller and JJ Watt lurking out there. LOL

I agree, but we're talking about as an NFL prospect. Those guys are a lot bigger and faster. There's freaks like Von Miller and JJ Watt lurking out there. LOL

Yeah, I doubt he'll be putting up the same numbers in the NFL because of the talent level. But I don't think everyone fits that assessment of more mass is better at the next level either. Guys like Randall Cobb are a good example. He was great in college and still great in the NFL.

I'd wait to see if it was needed, before I'd start putting it on.

Again, I disagree to a certain extent. There's a balance between mass and performance. Lamar is slight of build. 6'3", 205 pounds isn't big by any stretch of the imagination. More mass = better protection against hits. Have to find the point of how much weight can he carry and still be a certain level of effective.

They compared him to Vick. Vick was 5'10" and 190 or so. If you'll remember, he was always getting dinged up. Lamar is 5" taller, but only carrying 15 more pounds. I could see the same happening to Lamar if he chooses to run like he does in college. With the current rules in the NFL, QB's are very protected in the pocket, but when they take off, they're fair game.

Just look at the Superbowl last year. Cam Newton is 6'6", 250 pounds and Von Miller abused Newton to the point that Newton had checked out of the game early in the 4th quarter.

Plus Lamar isn't as "fast" as everyone thinks. He runs a 4.4 40. He's not even the fastest guy on UofL's team. Jaire alexander runs about a 4.38. There's lot's of guys in the NFL that run sub 4.4. Lamar is a great runner. Very shifty, good instincts, etc. But he's not even the fastest guy on UofL's team. There's a whole lot of DB's in the NFL that would have no problem chasing him down, and they LOVE to get to hit a QB. ;)

Again, I disagree to a certain extent. There's a balance between mass and performance. Lamar is slight of build. 6'3", 205 pounds isn't big by any stretch of the imagination. More mass = better protection against hits. Have to find the point of how much weight can he carry and still be a certain level of effective.

They compared him to Vick. Vick was 5'10" and 190 or so. If you'll remember, he was always getting dinged up. Lamar is 5" taller, but only carrying 15 more pounds. I could see the same happening to Lamar if he chooses to run like he does in college. With the current rules in the NFL, QB's are very protected in the pocket, but when they take off, they're fair game.

Just look at the Superbowl last year. Cam Newton is 6'6", 250 pounds and Von Miller abused Newton to the point that Newton had checked out of the game early in the 4th quarter.

Plus Lamar isn't as "fast" as everyone thinks. He runs a 4.4 40. He's not even the fastest guy on UofL's team. Jaire alexander runs about a 4.38. There's lot's of guys in the NFL that run sub 4.4. Lamar is a great runner. Very shifty, good instincts, etc. But he's not even the fastest guy on UofL's team. There's a whole lot of DB's in the NFL that would have no problem chasing him down, and they LOVE to get to hit a QB. ;)
No question the amount of sub 4.5 guys goes up exponentially in the NFL but there is a difference between track speed and effective football speed. LJ was the fastest player on the field every game this year and as good as the players were that he faced were, cant remember many (any) catching and bringing LJ down in the open field.

FSU and Clemson both caught him several times. I remember it because I was so surprised by it. I just wasn't used to someone catching him. So each time someone caught him and tripped him up, I noticed it simply out of surprise.

And we both know Clemson and FSU are full of NFL caliber talent.

Also, he had trouble getting away from Oliver in the Houston game. Granted, Oilver is a freak, but the NFL is full of freaks like that.

I'm not bad mouthing Lamar in any way. I just agree that he needs to put on some weight for the next level.

More mass does not equal better protection imo. Solid muscle is the best protection.

Mike Vick signed one of the largest contracts of his day. And played 14 years in the NFL.

Cam is playing too heavy IMO. And that extra weight hasn't kept him from injuries either. Mass can also work against you in collisions.

I get your angle on things. It's a popular knock on players.That still doesn't make it correct.

Lamar is one of the strongest and most durable guys I've seen for his build. And body mass usually reduces speed, quickness, and/or the ability to change direction. I'd want to compromise as little of that as possible...

Reactions: OmegaCard
But isn't his accuracy issues from throwing the deep ball? That's always a riskier "go for a home run" play.

I think the reason the scout was talking about his strength is that he's going to take some incredibly hard hits in the NFL and needs to be built for such a thing.

I bet anyhing that next year Lamar is going to try and work on all of this type stuff for scouts.

More mass does not equal better protection imo. Solid muscle is the best protection.

Mike Vick signed one of the largest contracts of his day. And played 14 years in the NFL.

Cam is playing too heavy IMO. And that extra weight hasn't kept him from injuries either. Mass can also work against you in collisions.

I get your angle on things. It's a popular knock on players.That still doesn't make it correct.

That's basically what I'm saying...... Add more muscle. I think you were assuming I meant put on fat. Noooooo... Needs to add 10-15 pounds of muscle. DeShaun Watson did so this past season. Put on 10 pounds of muscle from his soph year to his jr year. Body fat % actually dropped a bit, but 10 pounds heavier: Muscle. Didn't impact his game any that I saw. I hope Lamar can do the same. It will serve him well at the next level.

Vick had a lot of injury issues during his career. I believe they even mentioned that in the original link. Nothing ever major that I remember, but dinged up a lot. Plus he had his little 3 year hiatus, so that extended his career.

Again, not bad mouthing Lamar at all. But he's not perfect and has some things to improve on for this and the next level. Accuracy and turnovers for this level, and carry that along with 10-15 pounds of muscle to the next level and hopefully he has a long, prosperous, hall of fame career as one of the best dual threat QB's to ever play the game!

That's basically what I'm saying...... Add more muscle. I think you were assuming I meant put on fat. Noooooo... Needs to add 10-15 pounds of muscle. DeShaun Watson did so this past season. Put on 10 pounds of muscle from his soph year to his jr year. Body fat % actually dropped a bit, but 10 pounds heavier: Muscle. Didn't impact his game any that I saw. I hope Lamar can do the same. It will serve him well at the next level.

Vick had a lot of injury issues during his career. I believe they even mentioned that in the original link. Nothing ever major that I remember, but dinged up a lot. Plus he had his little 3 year hiatus, so that extended his career.

Again, not bad mouthing Lamar at all. But he's not perfect and has some things to improve on for this and the next level. Accuracy and turnovers for this level, and carry that along with 10-15 pounds of muscle to the next level and hopefully he has a long, prosperous, hall of fame career as one of the best dual threat QB's to ever play the game!

Looks to me like he already has the right amount of solid muscle. Some guys perform better at certain points. It's not a one size fits all mentality. The article's argument really didn't mention what he saw that suggested the heavier weight. Other than the belief bigger is better. Sometimes it is true. But not always.

I'm sure Vick would say he has no regrets about his NFL playing weight.

Betcha he wouldn''t say the same about his extra curricular activities. :)

Peace my friend. Just differing opinions.

Lamar is one of the strongest and most durable guys I've seen for his build. And body mass usually reduces speed, quickness, and/or the ability to change direction. I'd want to compromise as little of that as possible...

I agree. He's one dense looking dude. Mass also works against conditioning.

FSU and Clemson both caught him several times. I remember it because I was so surprised by it. I just wasn't used to someone catching him. So each time someone caught him and tripped him up, I noticed it simply out of surprise.

And we both know Clemson and FSU are full of NFL caliber talent.

Also, he had trouble getting away from Oliver in the Houston game. Granted, Oilver is a freak, but the NFL is full of freaks like that.

I'm not bad mouthing Lamar in any way. I just agree that he needs to put on some weight for the next level.
Questioned your take and so - Just watched the FSU game again - every UofL offensive snap. LJ was not caught one time in the open field (when he had made it into the secondary - more than 8 yds or so downfield) - you might want to go back and re-watch it if you are able. There were two times where he was running up the sideline and his angle and the defender took him out of bounds but the closest they got to bringing him down, was that long TD run where he got spun around as he scored.

Additionally, Mrs.beasleythelittlegirl'sdoll, might want to watch Radcliffe's TD at 12:30 to go in the 4th. He was stopped at the 3 yard line and the OL pushed him into the end zone in big boy fashion. Again, no explanation for the UH game but, the OL absolutely dominated FSU.

Going to watch the Clemson game again and see if LJ was caught in the open field / from behind in that one.

I don't have a way to rewatch them. I was at the FSU game, so my perspective was from field level in the end zone. (3rd row seats). I do remember plays where he had the sideline and got pushed out of bounds by a defender. I'm screaming TD! then pop, he's out of bounds. So I'll defer to your viewing of TV on that one. Much better viewing angle.

I don't have a way to rewatch them. I was at the FSU game, so my perspective was from field level in the end zone. (3rd row seats). I do remember plays where he had the sideline and got pushed out of bounds by a defender. I'm screaming TD! then pop, he's out of bounds. So I'll defer to your viewing of TV on that one. Much better viewing angle.
I was at the FSU game too - 5th row of the 200 level on the 45 yd line. I prefer the perspective of being up a little higher for football as you can see the play developing and when you're too close, you have a difficult time seeing what's going on when they run plays to the opposite side of the field. I just DVR the games and like to come home and watch them even after seeing them live. I think you can learn a lot, and see things that you weren't able to pick up when you're at the game.

I guess there was a miscommunication about what it means to be "caught/run down in the open field". I wouldn't consider someone having an angle on a runner 5 yards from the line of scrimmage and pushing them out of bounds to be the same thing as bringing them down in the open field or, running them down from behind which is what I thought you were saying happened to LJ in those games.

Yours are definitely better seats for viewing the entire game, but mine has the advantage of you can literally hear the players at that end of the field. I'm always in my seat way early because I can talk to/mess with the opposing team during warm ups. I offered Dalvin Cook a swig out of my flask before the FSU game and he said "Man, I got a game to play!"

I catch balls during kicking practice too. That's always fun.

My parents seats are 5th row right behind the bench where the defense gathers when not on the field. My father enjoys listening to those conversations.

I'm surprised that Cook didn't find you in the 4th quarter to take you up on your earlier offer - lol.

Reactions: Kratz
The kids only 19! I'm sure he will continue to grow and add good weight and muscle moving forward. He is about the same size as Teddy and the experts only concern with him was the size of his hands. Lamar doesn't have this issue.

Reactions: BPGhost
I have my thoughts about eNFL experts talking about his size. They sure didn't harp on this about Manzel whom is much smaller. But i wont start that debate on why.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT