ADVERTISEMENT

Newsflash for UK Fans

Dec 28, 2015
If Alabama wins tonight you don't get any of the glory being the conference punching bag and being affiliated with the SEC in name only. Your brethren such as Bama do not claim you. Just sayin

UK football plays 2 very important roles in the SEC:

1. UK is a team to get well against. Auburn was 0-2 in SEC play going into the UK game, they came out 1-2 and ended up going to a Bowl with 6 wins.
2. UK helps identify when a coach is really bad or over the hill. Both SEC teams that lost to UK will have new coaches next year. It's not a coincidence.

There is a guy who lives down the street from my in laws in Hopkinsville who flies two flags at his house Bama for football and UK for basketball. Talk about a homer.

UK football plays 2 very important roles in the SEC:

1. UK is a team to get well against. Auburn was 0-2 in SEC play going into the UK game, they came out 1-2 and ended up going to a Bowl with 6 wins.
2. UK helps identify when a coach is really bad or over the hill. Both SEC teams that lost to UK will have new coaches next year. It's not a coincidence.
3. uk gives the $EC another OOC game, while claiming it as a conference game, in the "toughest" conference in the world. :rolleyes:

They really should shut down the program if half of their fans associate themselves with other SEC school's success. That is absolutely the worst loser mentality ever. Lets you know most of them never played a sport before...pie eating contests don't count.

Maybe it's a practice squad mentality. They consider themselves to be the practice squad of the SEC.

Omega,

What you have to realize is the majority of their fanbase did not go to school there, not their grandfathers, fathers, mothers, cousins, siblings or children. UK basketball is just a sport to root for, almost like a professional team. That's why they can root for basketball and not for football because there's no investment there at least not for the majority for what is known as BBN.

They really should shut down the program if half of their fans associate themselves with other SEC school's success. That is absolutely the worst loser mentality ever. Lets you know most of them never played a sport before...pie eating contests don't count.

Gentlemen,
You can't have cake and eat it too. After being in the ACC for 1.3 years...Is it is permissible for UL fans to ride on Duke's coattails in basketball (ACC is the Best!), but not for UK fans to root for another SEC team in football?. Additionally, please review (even on the Hoops Forum) how many UL fans were rooting for Clemson (just like many UK fans were rooting for Bama) and predicting a win...for the good old ACC. If Clemson would have won...do you think any UL fans would be here this morning chanting ACC!..ACC?. Clemson will be the team to beat next year no doubt. Good luck to all. JMHO.

Reactions: BlueTick2
Gentlemen,
You can't have cake and eat it too. After being in the ACC for 1.3 years...Is it is permissible for UL fans to ride on Duke's coattails in basketball (ACC is the Best!), but not for UK fans to root for another SEC team in football?. Additionally, please review (even on the Hoops Forum) how many UL fans were rooting for Clemson (just like many UK fans were rooting for Bama) and predicting a win...for the good old ACC. If Clemson would have won...do you think any UL fans would be here this morning chanting ACC!..ACC?. Clemson will be the team to beat next year no doubt. Good luck to all. JMHO.

Cough. We're competitive. Real competitive. We don't have some of the longest losing streaks of all time against these teams. Nothing practical at least. See, first you have to compete before mutual respect is gained. You guys have practice squad respect in your league.

On a certain level I feel bad for your football fans that have to root for the competition. Your University has abandoned you. It's now all about Cal and www's next boy band of basketball. Better run along now and try to get access to a HS gym so you can fawn over the next big nothing.

Cough. We're competitive. Real competitive. We don't have some of the longest losing streaks of all time against these teams. Nothing practical at least. See, first you have to compete before mutual respect is gained. You guys have practice squad respect in your league.

On a certain level I feel bad for your football fans that have to root for the competition. Your University has abandoned you. It's now all about Cal and www's next boy band of basketball. Better run along now and try to get access to a HS gym so you can fawn over the next big nothing.

Sir,
Yes, you are competitive...but the rest of the world would not quite classify UL as world beaters. As bad as I hate to say it Petrino is a pretty good coach. However, please do not feel sorry for UK until you win an ACC title or a NC in football. Then UL fans can honor their own team's success and not focus on another team's status in their conference. UK and UL are both looking for the same thing...and neither are there yet. However, if either ever win a conference title...then we can both either crow, or hold our heads low. By the way, wasn't the topic, "Fans rooting for their perspective conference teams and not random opinions?" Good luck.

There is a guy who lives down the street from my in laws in Hopkinsville who flies two flags at his house Bama for football and UK for basketball. Talk about a homer.

I have been a lifelong Golden State Warrior fan since last year.:rolleyes:

A great quote from the OTS:

"The Wildcats are complacent losers when it comes to football. There, I said it. Over the past 5 years, UK has maintained a 34% winning percentage while depending on conference affiliation for relevance."

Sir,
Yes, you are competitive...but the rest of the world would not quite classify UL as world beaters. As bad as I hate to say it Petrino is a pretty good coach. However, please do not feel sorry for UK until you win an ACC title or a NC in football. Then UL fans can honor their own team's success and not focus on another team's status in their conference. UK and UL are both looking for the same thing...and neither are there yet. However, if either ever win a conference title...then we can both either crow, or hold our heads low. By the way, wasn't the topic, "Fans rooting for their perspective conference teams and not random opinions?" Good luck.

So, do you really care if an Georgia fan or South Carolina fan is cheering for uk basketball? What pride you must get by having others pat your team on the back.

I certainly would not toot my horn if I saw a Virginia Tech fan taking some pride in Louisville's basketball success. I would be thinking, make your team better and you can feel like this, too.

Sir,

Well, we did spank the SEC Eastern Division Co-champion in the Sugar bowl. Does that count as progress? UK done anything close to that lately?

Well, we did spank the SEC Eastern Division Co-champion in the Sugar bowl. Does that count as progress? UK done anything close to that lately?

Sir,
UL played a great game. However, they defeated the 5th place team in the SEC Western Division. Congratulations on the win.

So, do you really care if an Georgia fan or South Carolina fan is cheering for uk basketball? What pride you must get by having others pat your team on the back.

I certainly would not toot my horn if I saw a Virginia Tech fan taking some pride in Louisville's basketball success. I would be thinking, make your team better and you can feel like this, too.

Sir,
The same as UL fans have when after 1.3 seasons they proclaim they are in the best college basketball conference.

Gentlemen,

We play Clemson every year in football, they beat us by a field goal, whereas you guys play Alabama maybe twice a decade. There is a huge difference as to why we were pulling for Clemson, it does make our close loss look better. If Alabama plays in the championship in 2018 after we play them, I'll probably be for them.

Reactions: Mayoman
Sir,
I don't blame you. That is all I have been trying to say. I think we can all agree we have a tendency to root for our own conferences. Nothing wrong with that. As bad as I hate to say it, by UL playing BAMA, win or lose, it will benefit recruiting to a high degree and is a great decision.

Sir,
The same as UL fans have when after 1.3 seasons they proclaim they are in the best college basketball conference.

Before U of L's entry into the ACC, U of K fans were claiming we'd fold and be a basement dweller like they are once we faced a "real" schedule. It's not an accomplishment, but it does indicate that U of K fans are as clueless about football as they seem to be. I have no doubt we will be a threat for ACC Atlantic #1s and league championships moving forward and I'm real happy about that.

As to conference pride, it's the SEC that claims it. The rest of us are just being ironic. And the ACC is the best league in basketball (an important but less important sport in my view)...so in both cases when we claim league bonds...they are bonds to which we bring a great deal to the table. They are not our only reason for existing. It's funny to read when a Wildcats fan writes "cake/eat it" metaphors, since for my entire lifetime they've been using SEC football as both an excuse not to be competitive and a source of perverse pride.

After watching the champ game last night, I was proud of the Clemson team mainly due to my increased familiarity with them as players, as a team, and as a likable fan base, which is what the in conference thing is really about. It increases a sort of fraternalism that is tangible, if not 100% binding. They were a mistake or two away from being champs but credit goes out to the Bama team, which prevailed. One certainly couldn't say, as one would about U of K football--that they were not competitive.

Reactions: Mayoman
Sir,
UL played a great game. However, they defeated the 5th place team in the SEC Western Division. Congratulations on the win.

And as usual, where was UK ranked?

Sir, shouldn't they be focused on winning something/anything special before congratulating all the other SEC teams for kicking their @sses?

Quit calling people "sir." Good gracious what's wrong with you? Too, the SEC FB powers like Alabama don't even really consider you dregs as part of the SEC. They don't respect you or see you as their equals like you think they do. They laugh at UK FB and breath big sighs of relief when you show up on the schedule. Hell you're a founding member and have as many SEC titles as Suwanee and Tulane (look it up). Look up your records against other programs. And you're getting worse. Kash Daniel and stuff notwithstanding

Maybe it's a practice squad mentality. They consider themselves to be the practice squad of the SEC.
Or the Washington Generals.

LPT Football: As long as they don't embarrass us too much...

Moderators. I am dismayed you delete, or edit, my posts when I am just trying to agree with, or discuss facts, with the posters here. I would hope in this venue a level playing field would be established. I do not initiate the topics. I merely discuss them. There is great sports debate here at times. If a poster volunteers a viable concept...isn't someone allowed to courteously expand on, or quantifiably discount it? For example, there is a documented belief UL fans understand the feelings of SEC teams and fans better than the teams do themselves. While I agree this phenomenon is possible, would you agree it is highly unlikely? Therefore, debate is inevitable. I do not insult. I do not address names, even though I do quote other posters. I adhere to all board rules. I am very agreeable, courteous, and offer only documented sports related data. Should I not also be allowed poetic license for the edification of all participants? Regardless of your decision, I had some free time today and it has been my pleasure and a quite enlightening experience to be exposed and educated in how certain ideologies reject all information, regardless of authenticity, if it conflicts with inherent group cultural biases. Best of luck in the future in all sports endeavors.

Reactions: cardstud1
Moderators. I am dismayed you delete, or edit, my posts when I am just trying to agree with, or discuss facts, with the posters here. I would hope in this venue a level playing field would be established. I do not initiate the topics. I merely discuss them. There is great sports debate here at times. If a poster volunteers a viable concept...isn't someone allowed to courteously expand on, or quantifiably discount it? For example, there is a documented belief UL fans understand the feelings of SEC teams and fans better than the teams do themselves. While I agree this phenomenon is possible, would you agree it is highly unlikely? Therefore, debate is inevitable. I do not insult. I do not address names, even though I do quote other posters. I adhere to all board rules. I am very agreeable, courteous, and offer only documented sports related data. Should I not also be allowed poetic license for the edification of all participants? Regardless of your decision, I had some free time today and it has been my pleasure and a quite enlightening experience to be exposed and educated in how certain ideologies reject all information, regardless of authenticity, if it conflicts with inherent group cultural biases. Best of luck in the future in all sports endeavors.

Not sure what this post is about but U of L posters aren't treated fairly on the U of K forum and would wager the blue bad guys are treated a lot better over here.

Isn't there some type of abuse syndrome where the captive person starts to like the captivity? They can no longer see the embarrassment society applies to the situation. ;)

Stockholm Syndrome

Classic comedy example is from Monty Python Life Of Brian where Brian's cellmate extols the virtues of his Roman captivity.

Reactions: OmegaCard
I for one am glad the Mods are doing their job. No one here cares about your opinion as a Cat fan. We don't respect your opinion or want to hear your opinion. If we want that, we will come over to your board and ask. This is a Louisville forum not a Cat forum. There needs to be no "level playing field" as you are a visitor here.

California,

Although you are trying to sound sincere, your first sentence cannot be 100% truthful because if you were trying to agree with the posts would make you a Cardinal fan and it is clear you are not. Having said that I don't have issues with you as you say, abide by the rules. But I will also tell you that doesn't entirely keep you from being abused. You have to understand that if you want to come here. Some want you here just for the opportunity to abuse you while others question why you want to be here at all.

California,

Although you are trying to sound sincere, your first sentence cannot be 100% truthful because if you were trying to agree with the posts would make you a Cardinal fan and it is clear you are not. Having said that I don't have issues with you as you say, abide by the rules. But I will also tell you that doesn't entirely keep you from being abused. You have to understand that if you want to come here. Some want you here just for the opportunity to abuse you while others question why you want to be here at all.

NC,
You are correct my friend. I know I will be abused if I post here. I have absolutely no issue with that. We are all fans. It is what it is. My first post in this thread was to address a previous post emphatically eluding to the point other SEC fan bases do not root for other conference teams to include UK.

"Gentlemen,
You can't have cake and eat it too. After being in the ACC for 1.3 years...Is it is permissible for UL fans to ride on Duke's coattails in basketball (ACC is the Best!), but not for UK fans to root for another SEC team in football?. Additionally, please review (even on the Hoops Forum) how many UL fans were rooting for Clemson (just like many UK fans were rooting for Bama) and predicting a win...for the good old ACC. If Clemson would have won...do you think any UL fans would be here this morning chanting ACC!..ACC?. Clemson will be the team to beat next year no doubt. Good luck to all. JMHO."

I stated only my opinion that UL fans were rooting for Clemson and all fans have a tendency to root for their fellow conference teams. This opinion spawned the following posts. Many of which have little to do with the original subject, or sports in general.

1. Well, we did spank the SEC Eastern Division Co-champion in the Sugar bowl. Does that count as progress? UK done anything close to that lately?
Reply:
Sir, UL played a great game. However, they defeated the 5th place team in the SEC Western Division. Congratulations on the win.
2. We play Clemson every year in football, they beat us by a field goal, whereas you guys play Alabama maybe twice a decade. There is a huge difference as to why we were pulling for Clemson, it does make our close loss look better. If Alabama plays in the championship in 2018 after we play them, I'll probably be for them.
Reply: Sir, I don't blame you. That is all I have been trying to say. I think we can all agree we have a tendency to root for our own conferences. Nothing wrong with that. As bad as I hate to say it, by UL playing BAMA, win or lose, it will benefit recruiting to a high degree and is a great decision.
3. Cough. We're competitive. Real competitive. We don't have some of the longest losing streaks of all time against these teams. Nothing practical at least. See, first you have to compete before mutual respect is gained. You guys have practice squad respect in your league. On a certain level I feel bad for your football fans that have to root for the competition. Your University has abandoned you. It's now all about Cal and www's next boy band of basketball. Better run along now and try to get access to a HS gym so you can fawn over the next big nothing.
Reply: Sir, Yes, you are competitive...but the rest of the world would not quite classify UL as world beaters. As bad as I hate to say it Petrino is a pretty good coach. However, please do not feel sorry for UK until you win an ACC title or a NC in football. Then UL fans can honor their own team's success and not focus on another team's status in their conference. UK and UL are both looking for the same thing...and neither are there yet. However, if either ever win a conference title...then we can both either crow, or hold our heads low. By the way, wasn't the topic, "Fans rooting for their perspective conference teams and not random opinions?" Good luck.
4. Isn't there some type of abuse syndrome where the captive person starts to like the captivity? They can no longer see the embarrassment society applies to the situation. ;)
Reply: Provided an analogy identifying elements regarding culture, experiences, and groupthink which was deleted by moderators.

Again, my original point was...as fans we all root for our conferences and for an SEC fan to say he understands an NC State's fan perception of UL if they are playing against a non-conference foe is as much of a stretch as a UL fan identifying a Bama's fan feelings towards UK under the same situation. I love sports and I love a good spirited conversation. That is all. My moniker assures me I can get it here. UL fans will (maybe even should) abuse any UK poster here, and believe me a UL poster will receive the same on UK rivals. Anyway, if I stated, UK has 15 NC's on the UK board and any fan corrected me (including a UL fan) with accurate data, I would hope the moderators would not edit or delete their post. Anyway, I have took my beating today stoically I hope. We will all no doubt "debate" again. I hope we are debating hard against each other the first week in April. Go Cats!

NC,
You are correct my friend. I know I will be abused if I post here. I have absolutely no issue with that. We are all fans. It is what it is. My first post in this thread was to address a previous post emphatically eluding to the point other SEC fan bases do not root for other conference teams to include UK.

"Gentlemen,
You can't have cake and eat it too. After being in the ACC for 1.3 years...Is it is permissible for UL fans to ride on Duke's coattails in basketball (ACC is the Best!), but not for UK fans to root for another SEC team in football?. Additionally, please review (even on the Hoops Forum) how many UL fans were rooting for Clemson (just like many UK fans were rooting for Bama) and predicting a win...for the good old ACC. If Clemson would have won...do you think any UL fans would be here this morning chanting ACC!..ACC?. Clemson will be the team to beat next year no doubt. Good luck to all. JMHO."

I stated only my opinion that UL fans were rooting for Clemson and all fans have a tendency to root for their fellow conference teams. This opinion spawned the following posts. Many of which have little to do with the original subject, or sports in general.

1. Well, we did spank the SEC Eastern Division Co-champion in the Sugar bowl. Does that count as progress? UK done anything close to that lately?
Reply:
Sir, UL played a great game. However, they defeated the 5th place team in the SEC Western Division. Congratulations on the win.
2. We play Clemson every year in football, they beat us by a field goal, whereas you guys play Alabama maybe twice a decade. There is a huge difference as to why we were pulling for Clemson, it does make our close loss look better. If Alabama plays in the championship in 2018 after we play them, I'll probably be for them.
Reply: Sir, I don't blame you. That is all I have been trying to say. I think we can all agree we have a tendency to root for our own conferences. Nothing wrong with that. As bad as I hate to say it, by UL playing BAMA, win or lose, it will benefit recruiting to a high degree and is a great decision.
3. Cough. We're competitive. Real competitive. We don't have some of the longest losing streaks of all time against these teams. Nothing practical at least. See, first you have to compete before mutual respect is gained. You guys have practice squad respect in your league. On a certain level I feel bad for your football fans that have to root for the competition. Your University has abandoned you. It's now all about Cal and www's next boy band of basketball. Better run along now and try to get access to a HS gym so you can fawn over the next big nothing.
Reply: Sir, Yes, you are competitive...but the rest of the world would not quite classify UL as world beaters. As bad as I hate to say it Petrino is a pretty good coach. However, please do not feel sorry for UK until you win an ACC title or a NC in football. Then UL fans can honor their own team's success and not focus on another team's status in their conference. UK and UL are both looking for the same thing...and neither are there yet. However, if either ever win a conference title...then we can both either crow, or hold our heads low. By the way, wasn't the topic, "Fans rooting for their perspective conference teams and not random opinions?" Good luck.
4. Isn't there some type of abuse syndrome where the captive person starts to like the captivity? They can no longer see the embarrassment society applies to the situation. ;)
Reply: Provided an analogy identifying elements regarding culture, experiences, and groupthink which was deleted by moderators.

Again, my original point was...as fans we all root for our conferences and for an SEC fan to say he understands an NC State's fan perception of UL if they are playing against a non-conference foe is as much of a stretch as a UL fan identifying a Bama's fan feelings towards UK under the same situation. I love sports and I love a good spirited conversation. That is all. My moniker assures me I can get it here. UL fans will (maybe even should) abuse any UK poster here, and believe me a UL poster will receive the same on UK rivals. Anyway, if I stated, UK has 15 NC's on the UK board and any fan corrected me (including a UL fan) with accurate data, I would hope the moderators would not edit or delete their post. Anyway, I have took my beating today stoically I hope. We will all no doubt "debate" again. I hope we are debating hard against each other the first week in April. Go Cats!
I will take where our program is we can ride the "coattails" of the SEC more than UK since we have beaten more SEC teams in last 4 years than UK., and have a winning record vs. SEC in bowl games.

The SEC West was the best conference in the bowl games. The SEC East was the worst. Kentucky had a final Sagarin rating of 81, with a SOS of 57. Louisville finished 34 with a SOS of 35. Conference affiliation and strength of schedule are not valid excuses for UK's performance this year. Congratulations to Alabama and the SEC West.

Stoops just signed a "tall WR" who is going to be the next Harold Carmichael (older guys will know the name---a top NFL WR for years). Only Carmichael wasn't as fast. It really isn't a fair fight for their opponents now. Of course Stoops may have forgotten to see if he actually possesses hands. Oh and California you're loony

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT