ADVERTISEMENT

New Director Of Basketball Operations

Payne has a plan. I am a firm believer timing of events is incredibly important. NIL and the hiring of Payne is perfect timing. They have to execute their plan but they may be the first to figure out NIL.
That's exactly what I'm hoping and thinking will happen. That CKP has a big plan he's setting into motion with NIL that will be huge with getting big time recruits here.

I will argue with the best of them NIL and paying of players is devaluing an actual education. With that said we all have to adapt to the new world.

Louisville has a really unique opportunity to be the center of college basketball with NIL.

I will argue with the best of them NIL and paying of players is devaluing an actual education. With that said we all have to adapt to the new world.

Louisville has a really unique opportunity to be the center of college basketball with NIL.
They've been chewing these kids up and spitting them out for decades, the devaluing of education didn't start with NIL. UNC got caught implementing fake classes for how long, and no consequence.

not quite, simply reality says many bball and football athletes are not interested in an education, it's only forced upon them as a means to an end, tehm getting to play pro ball. if the nba didn't have one and done, most great college freshman would skip college altogether. nfl has 3 years, btu kids shoul dbe allowed now to go play XFL and USFL as minor league feeders with pay. why waste your formative talented years not learning the pro system and getting paid, instead of getting education, you can do that after your rich and retired.

but colleges should have made athletes curriculum focused on life after school, not poetry, not history of the world, but history of athletes who went broke or got arrested. they should be teaching them how to invest, how to save, how to not give it all to friends, how to do commercials and be sponsors. but colleges make them take crap they'll never use so colleges cheat to get them better grades , always have, always will. too much money to be had, and as my guidance counselor, back in 1983, once told our 9th grade class at Waggoner, "you can do anything you want in this world, just don't get caught"

We can say college has always been devalued but before the one and done kids stayed in school. They all had to grind it out for 3-4 years. It was valuable even if they didn’t take it seriously enough. Payne said he couldn’t read or write when he arrived at Louisville that may not be entirely true but that time helped him. Once One and Done was promoted by UK and the Duke of all places it changed the entire system. Who knows what path Payne goes with one and done.

I do agree college have not move fast enough to help their student athletes by adapting their curriculum to fit their path. Speed School has the best program because it mixes academics with real life work experience. NIL is going to open a lot of doors and exposure for kids while keeping them in college longer. That is a good thing.

Reactions: Mayoman
If we're being completely honest we'd all agree college sport should simply not be generating all this cash. But everyone is out to make a profit, and those elites of these institutions decided there was just too much $ out there to pass on it, and the college education got whored out. I believe this happened long prior to the OAD IMO. I believe this all started with the TV contracts. Once you have ESPN putting their hand into this cookie jar forget about it. No turning back now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT