ADVERTISEMENT

New World

Thecycle27

Three-Star Poster
Sep 17, 2017
I am not sure this version of college sports is sustainable especially in basketball. I think we all need to understand the complexity in leading programs in this environment.

The speed of which you can win or lose is swift. The roster size in basketball makes it extremely volatile. The lack of continuity year in and out is a problem. The athletes coming up are used to being transient. Team chemistry is really hard to develop. That can all swing on a dime.

Coaches all around the nation are struggling with this new reality. I think a GM is going to be the next wave in college. The total focus would be on player acquisition, NIL, analytics and fit.

I am not sure this version of college sports is sustainable especially in basketball. I think we all need to understand the complexity in leading programs in this environment.

The speed of which you can win or lose is swift. The roster size in basketball makes it extremely volatile. The lack of continuity year in and out is a problem. The athletes coming up are used to being transient. Team chemistry is really hard to develop. That can all swing on a dime.

Coaches all around the nation are struggling with this new reality. I think a GM is going to be the next wave in college. The total focus would be on player acquisition, NIL, analytics and fit.
I’ve thought about this. The job is split among at least a couple people now. You might have a recruiting coordinator, AD, maybe a head of NIL, etc. you would need one for each sport- that would be the challenge- with multiple high-salary additions to the organization.

Pretty good thinking. Totally totally different. Then crank in that player eligibility may be extended. And H.S. recruiting and development deemphasized to the point of extinction. And transfers will be allowed twice a season. Roster management and personality management in a quasi-street ball atmosphere.

I wouldn't want to be a coach or a GM in this era.

Pretty good thinking. Totally totally different. Then crank in that player eligibility may be extended. And H.S. recruiting and development deemphasized to the point of extinction. And transfers will be allowed twice a season. Roster management and personality management in a quasi-street ball atmosphere.

I wouldn't want to be a coach or a GM in this era.
Neither did Hadley (BC coach) he left to be a position coach in the NFL. Saban retired because of it, as did coach K. Coen said, we can't control these kids anymore, so he went back to the NFL.
There was an article in Yahoo News that said the SEC and Big Ten AD`s are going to meet to figure out where to go from here with college athletics. They understand this system is broke and has to be fixed.

Neither did Hadley (BC coach) he left to be a position coach in the NFL. Saban retired because of it, as did coach K. Coen said, we can't control these kids anymore, so he went back to the NFL.
There was an article in Yahoo News that said the SEC and Big Ten AD`s are going to meet to figure out where to go from here with college athletics. They understand this system is broke and has to be fixed.
Lol - Coen left again because he didn’t want to call Porky Stupes’ pre-scripted plays in the Snail-Raid offense. It’s hilarious that he used the yuts yet again as a rest stop in between nfl gigs.

Then college basketball's version of the trading deadline will appear. Got a couple of season ending injuries early? Poach a couple of players from other teams between semesters.

Reactions: Wildcat40229
The SEC and Big Ten are going to push for athletes to be employees. They believe they will have the funds. Then there will be collective bargaining. This will ultimately be those that can compete and those that can’t. This may turn into a NFL-AFL situation.

College football will continue at places that don’t play that game. Some will go to the old model of scholarship only, some, the B1G and $EC, will eventually detach their programs as they become fully pro teams.

College is still important. It should be valued by professional leagues. The NCAA or a version of it need to partner with professional leagues.

I would let the players drafted that don’t make a NBA, or MLB roster go to college. Once the players go to college the professional teams maintain the contract. Then build in some timelines of when the players is eligible to be called back up.

College baseball talent is Single or Double A level. MLB could start using college baseball as their farm system. It doesn’t mean all their picks go to the same college team.

There is a way to do this and maintain -stabilize college sports

Lets just get rid of "college athletes." Just go straight from high school to a pre NFL or NBA or MLB or NHL league. Why do these kids even have to go to college to play a sport. Maybe colleges should focus on education and not sports.....or wait..I FORGOT. It's all about money 💰

Last edited:
College basketball has been evolving for decades to nothing more than preparing athletes for the NBA, European or Developmental League. The NIL may only add to another professional option when remaining in college.

Agreed, this is not sustainable, and yes the NCAA is going to be eliminated in college football very soon.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT