ADVERTISEMENT

National Anthem this season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, he was but on a ship and never was allowed to set foot in America again. He died on the ship and was buried at sea. He said he never wanted to see American and he got his wish. It is a true story.
Not that it matters I suppose for your example but, Nolan is a fictional character and the short story, is a blend of fiction and historical fact.

The guys taking a knee aren’t renouncing America - they are trying to point out it’s flaws and make it better. I think this type of thinking was synopsized wonderfully by Senator Al Franken.

“If you listen to a lot of conservatives, they'll tell you that the difference between them and us is that conservatives love America and liberals hate America. ... They don't get it. We love America just as much as they do. But in a different way. You see, they love America like a 4-year-old loves his mommy. Liberals love America like grown-ups. To a 4-year-old, everything Mommy does is wonderful and anyone who criticizes Mommy is bad. Grown-up love means actually understanding what you love, taking the good with the bad and helping your loved one grow. Love takes attention and work and is the best thing in the world.
That's why we liberals want America to do the right thing. We know America is the hope of the world, and we love it and want it to do well.”

Reactions: bloodguard13
If kneeling (or any other peaceful protest) helps the black, white, gay, straight, old, young, poor, or rich community, by all means, please do it. The more any community succeeds, the less my tax dolllars are needed.

In reading the discussion, I admittedly didn't read them all, but part of the problem for any oppressed people is waiting for a celebrity, neighbor, family member, or worse the, the government, to come save them from the oppression. It creates a "I'm a victim, the decks stacked against me, why try" mentality that's perpetuated from one generation to the next. Whether your from the streets of Chicago or hillls of Appalachia, focusing on family and education is gonna do much more for you and your future generations than pounding your chest and raising a fist when your favorite player kneels on Sundays.

Will not debate the issue.....Just stating my opinion.
The symbol of our freedom is the flag. So, am I to protest my own freedom?
In many countries, a protest of this nature would be considered an act of treason and may be a death sentence.
As another said, you can be free to do a lot of things, but not free from the consequences.
Protesting is a means to get support from others, not to alienate them. Just find another way to protest.

Nope.
Still kneeling.
This is a free country. They're free to protest however, whenever, and wherever they choose.
Don't need a 'symbol' to denote freedom.
You are born..........free.

They have the right to protest but I have the right to disagree with them and not buy their products. I don't see these same athletes going out in the communities they came from and helping solve the problems. I don't see them taking some of their money and redistributing to the poor in an effort to help them.
Talk is cheap until they do more than kneel during the anthem they are just cardboard cutouts. They are doing this as a means to protest and as a form of disrespect. They had so many other avenues they could have gone down but they chose this one.
They could go to schools and give speeches about the consequences of committing crimes.
Tell the young men and women in these communities not to be a thug like Michael Brown because he paid the ultimate price for his actions.

Cops lie and have been caught on videotape lying and planting evidence.
Police misconduct is almost uniformly ignored. This is one of the reasons for the protest.

Micheal Brown didn't kill anyone.
Stephen paddock on the other hand...........

Actually, your rights to protest CAN be limited by your employer while you're on the job. I suspect had these NFL players decided to stage some type of protest OFF the field, we wouldn't have near the backlash or media coverage. Most companies have an employee handbook specifying what is allowed or prohibited and they have every right to enforce that.

There is NO RULE that players have to stand.
That means the NFL rules supercede individual team rules.

They have the right to protest but I have the right to disagree with them and not buy their products. I don't see these same athletes going out in the communities they came from and helping solve the problems. I don't see them taking some of their money and redistributing to the poor in an effort to help them.
Talk is cheap until they do more than kneel during the anthem they are just cardboard cutouts. They are doing this as a means to protest and as a form of disrespect. They had so many other avenues they could have gone down but they chose this one.
They could go to schools and give speeches about the consequences of committing crimes.
Tell the young men and women in these communities not to be a thug like Michael Brown because he paid the ultimate price for his actions.

I'll go to NFL shop website and buy clothing and send it to Puerto Rico.
You know the US territory of 3.5 mIlion Americans that 85% have no power.

The commander in tweet threatened to cut off aid for the Island.
This is more disrespectful to the flag than kneeling.

Never thought I'd say I agree with Kerry Rhodes, but here we are.

Still haven't heard back on whether my quintet will sing at a U of L game this year or not... I'm not sure when we receive the results.

Never thought I'd say I agree with Kerry Rhodes, but here we are.

Still haven't heard back on whether my quintet will sing at a U of L game this year or not... I'm not sure when we receive the results.

I hope your group gets to sing !

Some of the best anthems sung ;
Whitney Houston at the Super Bowl
Marvin Gaye at the 84 (?) NBA all star game

I’m for anyone kneeling. The ones making this about “the flag”, need to wake tf up.
Why? Because you say so? That elitist attitude is why we're where we are regarding this issue. People have the right to kneel for whatever reason, and people ALSO have the right to decide if they like it and for whatever reason they decide they don't like it. I think it's disrespectful to the flag even if that's not the reason for the kneeling. They could say it's for battered children and I would still feel it's inappropriate regarding OUR flag. Protest all you want because that is your right as a United States citizen. With that stated, it is also MY right not to support the protest. I don't support it and I refuse to watch another NFL game because of it. That is my choice. Just like I dealt with the protest, you can deal with me not supporting it. I don't need to be told to wake up especially by someone who disagrees with me.

Why? Because you say so? That elitist attitude is why we're where we are regarding this issue. People have the right to kneel for whatever reason, and people ALSO have the right to decide if they like it and for whatever reason they decide they don't like it. I think it's disrespectful to the flag even if that's not the reason for the kneeling. They could say it's for battered children and I would still feel it's inappropriate regarding OUR flag. Protest all you want because that is your right as a United States citizen. With that stated, it is also MY right not to support the protest. I don't support it and I refuse to watch another NFL game because of it. That is my choice. Just like I dealt with the protest, you can deal with me not supporting it. I don't need to be told to wake up.
Case in point.

Why? Because you say so? That elitist attitude is why we're where we are regarding this issue. People have the right to kneel for whatever reason, and people ALSO have the right to decide if they like it and for whatever reason they decide they don't like it. I think it's disrespectful to the flag even if that's not the reason for the kneeling. They could say it's for battered children and I would still feel it's inappropriate regarding OUR flag. Protest all you want because that is your right as a United States citizen. With that stated, it is also MY right not to support the protest. I don't support it and I refuse to watch another NFL game because of it. That is my choice. Just like I dealt with the protest, you can deal with me not supporting it. I don't need to be told to wake up especially by someone who disagrees with me.
I think it’s disrespectful not to respect these players choice to not stand for the flag. See how that works..?

Reactions: eastwood45789
I think it’s disrespectful not to respect these players choice to not stand for the flag. See how that works..?
OK, and that's fine. Think what you want. I will too. That is exactly how that works.

I just think that the protest is pretty obvious, as to why it's being demonstrated. Anyone can choose to ignore it, as it's there natural and constitutional right. However, I think it would do a lot of good for "some" to open their ears and eyes as to why these players are indeed protesting. We haven't made too much progress since civil rights. The year 2017 has been a perfect exemplification of that.

OK, and that's fine. Think what you want. I will too. That is exactly how that works.
Cue - you’re wasting your time on this person. No real demonstrated interest in posting substance - much more interested in prevarication and getting other posters into public back and forths.

Cue - you’re wasting your time on this person. No real demonstrated interest in posting substance - much more interested in prevarication and getting other posters into public back and forths.
Yes I realize that. Sometimes I just enjoy feeding the trolls. They need love too. :p

Not that it matters I suppose for your example but, Nolan is a fictional character and the short story, is a blend of fiction and historical fact.

The guys taking a knee aren’t renouncing America - they are trying to point out it’s flaws and make it better. I think this type of thinking was synopsized wonderfully by Senator Al Franken.

“If you listen to a lot of conservatives, they'll tell you that the difference between them and us is that conservatives love America and liberals hate America. ... They don't get it. We love America just as much as they do. But in a different way. You see, they love America like a 4-year-old loves his mommy. Liberals love America like grown-ups. To a 4-year-old, everything Mommy does is wonderful and anyone who criticizes Mommy is bad. Grown-up love means actually understanding what you love, taking the good with the bad and helping your loved one grow. Love takes attention and work and is the best thing in the world.
That's why we liberals want America to do the right thing. We know America is the hope of the world, and we love it and want it to do well.”
Epitomizes the condescension of the left. You don’t agree with their ideology you are ignorant and uneducated.

Reactions: eastwood45789
Epitomizes the condescension of the left. You don’t agree with their ideology you are ignorant and uneducated.
Umm - ok. Except there’s no “ideology” or calling anyone ignorant or uneducated discussed in my post or Franken’s quote. Only that liberals love America as much as conservatives.

The sooner both sides figure out neither one has a monopoly on that - the better off we’ll all be.

Umm - ok. Except there’s no “ideology” or calling anyone ignorant or uneducated discussed in my post or Franken’s quote. Only that liberals love America as much as conservatives.

The sooner both sides figure out neither one has a monopoly on that - the better off we’ll all be.
Not exactly true. You posted words spoken by Franken and called it "synopsized wonderfully by Senator Al Franken" when he is actually more like a hypocritical idiot. Conservatives are 'like 4 year old kids' while liberals are 'grown ups.' That is condescending, arrogant, and frankly insulting. You only agree with his point of view because you believe it. No other reason.

Reactions: Cardcountry
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT