ADVERTISEMENT

National Anthem this season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The rest of it was just drivel we've already covered.
Even the part where I asked you when and where you think their protests would be better suited to educate those parts of the population that are ignorant of the situation? You think your opinion is part of the “drivel”?

Also - I don’t think anyone has provided an objective reason why kneeling for the anthem is disrespectful. If you have that rationale - I’d love to read it.

Reactions: WhatMeWorry
Fair enough. Still IMO there needs to be a good reason to take a stand on something or you'll fall for anything. This particular issue hits close to home for me mainly because I have lost good close friends who were defending that flag, and unlike you I am unable compartmentalize it. I won't dishonor their memories for any reason and especially for what I think is a fake cause.
I understand as I have lost a member of my family in the service of the country. I would just disagree in that I believe that they gave their lives in defense of freedom and the American way of life.

Sorry for your losses.

David Robinson was both athlete and veteran. He worked to help injustice by building library, investing in Civic centers, programs for inner city kids, scholarships. He got a rep for not having 'street cred'
CK signed a big time contract, turned his back on the family that raised him when someone pointed out they were white, and took a knee stating plainly he didn't think the country stood for any freedoms, and folks are storming to his defense.
What's wrong with this picture?
Give about half that contract boys to improving peoples lives boys and You MAY get some interest from guys like me.

Until then, it's bold talk from hollow men.

Even the part where I asked you when and where you think their protests would be better suited to educate those parts of the population that are ignorant of the situation?

If you're a professional athlete you can get whatever forum you chose to use to get your message out.. People are always willing to quote your every word.

If you're an NFL athlete (which you are not I'm guessing ) you're making lots of money, get out in your community and educate people. Spend some of your money to help disadvantaged people instead of taking a knee disrespecting the American flag or our Anthem, get off your wallet..Council them to obey laws, get an education, get a job, get off the streets, don't break the law, don't be where you're not supposed to be, be a productive member of society instead of living off the government tit, don't be looking for a hand out, don't loot people's stores when someone you don't even know gets in trouble or gets shot while they're breaking the law.

It's really not that hard to do the right thing. I've never been in any situation where a police officer has to make a decision on whether to shoot me or not, how about you ??

Simple solution....honor the symbol of your freedom or lose your freedom. (to play)
P.S. I'm an alien on this board, but I stand for free speech and the symbol of free speech. (our flag)

When the athletes signed their contracts, where was it stated that they are REQUIRED to stand for the anthem.

Last edited:
People have the right to kneel for the anthem just as they have the right to do just about anything else that they want. Sometimes there are consequences to pay for certain decisions

Consequences means repurcussions for commiting an improper act.
What was so improper by sitting or kneeling ?

Well, we have the freedom of the press. freedom of free speech, right to peaceable assemble, freedom of religion, and the right to bear arms. However, we do not have the right to disrespect our Constitution or our flag. I have zero tolerance for the kneelers. I respect thier opinion as we live in a free nation, but do not respect how they are expressing thier opinion. Also, most of these men have never served or defended thier country! I am sorry as a retired military man I cannot respect those, who do not respect thier own Nation.

Then you served for the wrong reasons.
You also contradicted yourself.
Its not your choice to decide how, when, where, or how one is to protest.
These are silent, peaceful protest. No one is burning a flag, interupting the song.

The Veterans for Kapernick came out for him last August (2016)
https://theundefeated.com/features/...tary-veterans-in-support-of-colin-kaepernick/

Even had Police officers in support of Kapernick.

Of course they were widely ignored.

Last edited:
Reactions: OneEarWonder
Also, the pro athletes who are protesting have a platform because they are pro athletes. They don't need to protest while on the job. It's mixing social political view points and work. Honest question, how many here could do what these pro athletes are doing and stay employed? Can you protest while at work? I can't. There are rules and policies that plainly point out that it's just not allowed. I CAN however protest ON MY OWN TIME if I so choose.

I choose not to watch NFL games as my OWN form of protest. That is my right. Seeing how the NFL ratings are something like 31% down, it appears I'm not alone.

Of course i cant protest the anthem at my job. THEY DONT PLAY THE ANTHEM BEFORE I START MY JOB.

The anthem ceremony is not pertinent to my job. My employers COULD NOT force to stand, sing, place my hand over my heart, face the flag.

Yes my job can require i start at a certain time, be productive, even wear a uniform.
They cant make me work past 10 hours. They can make me do two peoples jobs. They cant make me wear a shirt with the President's name or likeness.

The employer is my boss, however i do have rights on the job.

If you dont want politics in your sports, take the politics out of sports.
The anthem isnt necessary at sporting events.
Its not played anywhere else.
Youre missing some good football.

No, I said we all have the same constitutional rights. I am saying respect the flag and the people that give you those constitutional rights and that are defending them for you!. End of discussion.

GOD gave me rights, not man.
Not every War the US has fought , was a just war.
Citizens werent asked to vote to send their loved ones to unjust wars.

I know the Military enlisted Men obey orders to fight, however an unjust war is a detriment to all.

Last edited:
That's just it, there is no clear or concise evidence that police officers are targeting or brutalizing blacks any more than any other race. As a matter of fact, you are less likely to be brutalized or shot or killed by a police office if you ARE black. Pull up the statistics. WHITE people are shot and killed more often than black people are by the police. That's the cold hard truth. The fact that a few horrific tragic incidences have taken place and painted a narrative doesn't make it the truth all the time. Look up the stats. You want to know who is shooting and killing black people? Black people are; generally speaking of course. You need to look no further than Chicago for that fact.

Here I'll save you the trouble. It's from the Washington Post. I think we can all agree they lean left in political ideology.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/police-shootings-2017/

I dont care what colour people are, Government officials i.e Law enforcement officers, are abusing their authority. Police misconduct is perpetrated against Americans of ALL races and ethnicities.

Is it you only want left leaning Government officals held accountable for their misconduct?

I bet Steven Paddock stood for the flag. He in turn shot over 500 people, killing over 50. Thats more disrespectful to the flag, than kneeing.

Piss poor argument.. But to answer you question, speaking for myself of course, I can assure you, I still wouldn't like it..

There's plenty other times and places for that, at a Game where people paid money to get in to, is not the place to take up an agenda.

What makes this whole kneeling thing even more worthless is, the majority of the people don't even know why the players are kneeling, they just know they're predominantly black and they're disrespecting the flag. So what purpose is it serving except for making things more divisive than they were before this started.

60% of Americans think these protest are wrong.

80% of Americans thought the Civil rights protest and marches were wrong.

Here's a quote from Dr King ;

Negro and police brutality

Martin Luther King

"We can never be satisfied as long as the Negro is the victim of the unspeakable horrors of police brutality."
I Have a Dream, delivered 28 August 1963, at the Lincoln Memorial, Washington D.C.

Herevis a quote from American hero, Jackie Robinson, his autobiography, I Never Had It Made, with Alfred Duckett in 1972 ;

There I was, the black grandson of a slave, the son of a black sharecropper, part of a historic occasion, a symbolic hero to my people. The air was sparkling. The sunlight was warm. The band struck up the national anthem. The flag billowed in the wind. It should have been a glorious moment for me as the stirring words of the national anthem poured from the stands. Perhaps, it was, but then again, perhaps, the anthem could be called the theme song for a drama called The Noble Experiment. Today, as I look back on that opening game of my first world series, I must tell you that it was Mr. Rickey’s drama and that I was only a principal actor. As I write this twenty years later, I cannot stand and sing the anthem. I cannot salute the flag; I know that I am a black man in a white world. In 1972, in 1947, at my birth in 1919, I know that I never had it made.

Last edited:
David Robinson was both athlete and veteran. He worked to help injustice by building library, investing in Civic centers, programs for inner city kids, scholarships. He got a rep for not having 'street cred'
CK signed a big time contract, turned his back on the family that raised him when someone pointed out they were white, and took a knee stating plainly he didn't think the country stood for any freedoms, and folks are storming to his defense.
What's wrong with this picture?
Give about half that contract boys to improving peoples lives boys and You MAY get some interest from guys like me.

Until then, it's bold talk from hollow men.

Colin Kaepernick has donated over 800k to various charities and communties.
He has a goal of 1 million.

He has inspired countless other players and other people to donate time and money.
His family, which includes many Veterans, fully supports him.

So your post is not only laughable but factually inaccurate.

In closing,

This is a free country. We are born with God given rights.
Football is entertainment. An escape. Players werent even on the field for the anthem until 2009 when the Military paid the NFL to stage anthem ceremonies.

You cant say im free then compel me to stand.
You cant hurl insults, or physically assault me when i sit or kneel during the anthem.

Im a grown Man in America, not North Korea where citizens are forced to attend political rallies, chant slogans, cheer, and sing their anthem.

These athletes speak for the voiceless. Previous protest are ignored or forcibly dispersed. No one hates America. Some of these athletes can afford to live in another country. They dont not should have to leave the land of their birth to foment change.

The flag doesnt just belong to the Military. It belongs to All Americans.
Do any of you know the proper ways to handle the flag ?
Its not to be worn as clothing or made into napkins.
Its not be carried horizontally. The giant flag that covers the field is horizontal.
Its supposed to be lowered daily.
Countless Americans attending games are talking, sitting ir buying food and beer.
Is the only time to honor America and veterans at a sporting event ?
If youre walking down the street and the anthem is playing do you stop and salute ?

4 American Soldiers were killed in Africa, yet the commander in tweets doesnt even mention this tragic news. He'd rather tweet about private employees excercising their GOD given rights in a FREE country................

Consequences means repurcussions for commiting an improper act.
What was so improper by sitting or kneeling ?
Maybe something maybe nothing. Depends on who you're talking to I guess. But jerry jones is his boss and also has he right to plant him on the bench.

I dont care what colour people are, Government officials i.e Law enforcement officers, are abusing their authority. Police misconduct is perpetrated against Americans of ALL races and ethnicities.

Is it you only want left leaning Government officals held accountable for their misconduct?

I bet Steven Paddock stood for the flag. He in turn shot over 500 people, killing over 50. Thats more disrespectful to the flag, than kneeing.
You're jumping to conclusions there Kerry. I actually find it odd that we don't know more about that monster than we do. Actually, if this guy was a Trump supporter, I suspect we would have known that by now seeing how the media and Trump have their own little war of words going on.

It's also odd to me that after the fact, in order to paint a monster image with no other agenda, it was noted he made hotel reservations elsewhere in other cities which may or may not be true. Who knows what we can believe nowadays? All I know for sure is that monster opened up on innocent people and killed them, and their only crime was going to a country music concert. Unlike you, I'm not going to jump to conclusions but if I were, I could make a case that the monster in the Las Vegas shooting was a supporter of the losing party in the election since he targeted what most believe were Trump supporters.

But I'm not going there. Yet. I'll wait for all the facts first.

In closing,

This is a free country. We are born with God given rights.
Football is entertainment. An escape. Players werent even on the field for the anthem until 2009 when the Military paid the NFL to stage anthem ceremonies.

You cant say im free then compel me to stand.
You cant hurl insults, or physically assault me when i sit or kneel during the anthem.

Im a grown Man in America, not North Korea where citizens are forced to attend political rallies, chant slogans, cheer, and sing their anthem.

These athletes speak for the voiceless. Previous protest are ignored or forcibly dispersed. No one hates America. Some of these athletes can afford to live in another country. They dont not should have to leave the land of their birth to foment change.

The flag doesnt just belong to the Military. It belongs to All Americans.
Do any of you know the proper ways to handle the flag ?
Its not to be worn as clothing or made into napkins.
Its not be carried horizontally. The giant flag that covers the field is horizontal.
Its supposed to be lowered daily.
Countless Americans attending games are talking, sitting ir buying food and beer.
Is the only time to honor America and veterans at a sporting event ?
If youre walking down the street and the anthem is playing do you stop and salute ?

4 American Soldiers were killed in Africa, yet the commander in tweets doesnt even mention this tragic news. He'd rather tweet about private employees excercising their GOD given rights in a FREE country................
Well done, Kerry. I do not like kneeling during the anthem, I find it to be a major distraction that detracts from their message IMO. Our rights are God given and it was our founders who codified them. It is in honor to them and our service members that I stop and come to attention whenever the anthem is played. Damn the beer and the conversation.

I'll close by adding the words of another King from years ago, "Can't we all just get along?"

Then you served for the wrong reasons.
You also contradicted yourself.
Its not your choice to decide how, when, where, or how one is to protest.
These are silent, peaceful protest. No one is burning a flag, interupting the song.

The Veterans for Kapernick came out for him last August (2016)
https://theundefeated.com/features/...tary-veterans-in-support-of-colin-kaepernick/

Even had Police officers in support of Kapernick.

Of course they were widely ignored.

No, you can disagree with me and I will not come looking for you. I will just disagree with you. That's how we roll in America. But we have no right to disrespect our flag and constitution!

Kerry Rhodes, you are a good person. We just disagree on this issue. We each have our own opinion and that is why we vote. I about 5th generation consecutive military service. God bless you and go Cards.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
When the athletes signed their contracts, where was it stated that they are REQUIRED to stand for the anthem.
Your second sentence directly contradicts your first.

Will not debate the issue.....Just stating my opinion.
The symbol of our freedom is the flag. So, am I to protest my own freedom?
In many countries, a protest of this nature would be considered an act of treason and may be a death sentence.
As another said, you can be free to do a lot of things, but not free from the consequences.
Protesting is a means to get support from others, not to alienate them. Just find another way to protest.

Well, this my last post on this subject. If we as proud Americans can't agree on what freedom and the American flag means to be an American, then how the heck do we expect immigrants and people of other countries to understand? It's what is both good and bad in this country.

Reactions: Cue Card

I bet Steven Paddock stood for the flag. He in turn shot over 500 people, killing over 50. Thats more disrespectful to the flag, than kneeing.[/QUOTE Dumbest post ever. Trump had nothing to do with Paddock.

Reactions: wilkie01
Kerry Rhodes, you are a good person. We just disagree on this issue. We each have our own opinion and that is why we vote. I about 5th generation consecutive military service. God bless you and go Cards.

No problems Wilkie.

My Dad is a Vet, whom im taking care of now since my Mother has passed.
I respect your opinion, and respect your service.

God bless the World.

No problems Wilkie.

My Dad is a Vet, whom im taking care of now since my Mother has passed.
I respect your opinion, and respect your service.

God bless the World.

Tell your father, thanks for his service. I am sorry about your mother. Both my mother and father have passed. My dad served in WWII, Korean War, Vietnam War, and on Polaris Submarines in the Cold War. Again, God bless your family, End of the day we are all God's children and the body of Christ.

Last edited:
They have the right to protest but I have the right to disagree with them and not buy their products. I don't see these same athletes going out in the communities they came from and helping solve the problems. I don't see them taking some of their money and redistributing to the poor in an effort to help them.
Talk is cheap until they do more than kneel during the anthem they are just cardboard cutouts. They are doing this as a means to protest and as a form of disrespect. They had so many other avenues they could have gone down but they chose this one.
They could go to schools and give speeches about the consequences of committing crimes.
Tell the young men and women in these communities not to be a thug like Michael Brown because he paid the ultimate price for his actions.

I don't see these same athletes going out in the communities they came from and helping solve the problems.

Actually some athletes do exactly that. I know LeBron has spent a ton of money in the Cleveland and Akron areas of Ohio for kids who need help. He's trying to do what I would consider the right thing. I don't like him much but I respect the hell out of him for giving back to his community.

I know John Wall has spent a bunch building playgrounds for schools back in his old stomping grounds too. I applaud the athletes who give back to their communities and I wish we could focus all of our attention on the good things some of them do instead of being caught up in this drama. Maybe one day it'll be better for everyone.

If you're a professional athlete you can get whatever forum you chose to use to get your message out.. People are always willing to quote your every word.

If you're an NFL athlete (which you are not I'm guessing ) you're making lots of money, get out in your community and educate people. Spend some of your money to help disadvantaged people instead of taking a knee disrespecting the American flag or our Anthem, get off your wallet..Council them to obey laws, get an education, get a job, get off the streets, don't break the law, don't be where you're not supposed to be, be a productive member of society instead of living off the government tit, don't be looking for a hand out, don't loot people's stores when someone you don't even know gets in trouble or gets shot while they're breaking the law.

It's really not that hard to do the right thing. I've never been in any situation where a police officer has to make a decision on whether to shoot me or not, how about you ??
Ok - a lot to unpack here. First, I disagree that professional athletes have carte blanche when it comes to forums where they're listened to - that is unless you're a superstar. Before and after a game sure but, let's see how often reporters come around for a quote when they ask about the 4th quarter and they get comments on social issues.

How do you know those athletes that take a knee aren't involved in their communities? Have you researched it? Ironically, not everyone handles those types of situations like trump - where you know the act is less about the generosity and more about the publicity.

You've listed a lot of clichéd platitudes when it comes to how the those less fortunate members of society should conduct themselves - you really seem committed to them. Given that, have you ever counseled "them" on any of these ways to live "their" lives? I'm not really sure how several of those instructions even relate to police brutality - which if you recall - is the reason for the kneeling in the first place.

No, I've never been in a situation where a police officer had to decide whether to shoot me or not. I imagine a good deal of the reason why is because I was fortunate to not grow up poor - where most of the places around you are "where you're not supposed to be". If you read the stories of many of those mistreated and killed by cops - you'll find that many of them hadn't been in that situation either.

They have the right to protest but I have the right to disagree with them and not buy their products. I don't see these same athletes going out in the communities they came from and helping solve the problems. I don't see them taking some of their money and redistributing to the poor in an effort to help them.
Talk is cheap until they do more than kneel during the anthem they are just cardboard cutouts. They are doing this as a means to protest and as a form of disrespect. They had so many other avenues they could have gone down but they chose this one.
They could go to schools and give speeches about the consequences of committing crimes.
Tell the young men and women in these communities not to be a thug like Michael Brown because he paid the ultimate price for his actions.
Again - how is it that you know those taking a knee are not active in their communities - performing the very actions that you say they aren't? And just out of curiosity, which specific "communities" are you referring to?

Forced patriotism is awesome. Works really well in places like North Korea.
The difference being the North Korean people and other places like that can't be discussing this issue openly on how to make things better.

If they disrespect their flag or their leaders, they're just executed. Think about that. That's why this is the greatest country in the world. We may not be perfect, but considering the alternative...........

Last edited:
glassmanJ, you are missing the main point. Not one single person in the discussion has shown any type of oppression towards anyone. Why label PEOPLE? IDC if you are white, black, red, or yellow. People are just people in my eyes. I personally live my life with the vision Dr. King had for ALL of us. Do not judge anyone by the color of their skin. I only judge a person by their ACTIONS, and the CHARACTER they display. The longer you continue to label people, the longer we have to deal with racism in this country.

1,000 likes!!!! Best post so far.....

to put it simply if you believe america is the land of the free you cannot tell anyone what to do. hence when you do you've taken away their freedom and hence america is not the land of the free. and if you are black in this country, history and current events show that you do not have the same freedoms as white people yet white people expect black people to behave exactly as they tell them. you cannot tell anyone to sit stand kneel pray sing talk or do whatever during the anthem because they have the freedom in the country to do so. and i can post hundreds of videos of military veterans who fought overseas who agree with the kneeling because oit's their american right to protest peacefully. not your right to stop them.. thats what every soldier fought and fights for and you cannot sit here and tell me i have to do something you say then tell me i'm free. that's the basic point everyone who disagrees with it is missing that when you try to tell them they have to behave the way you want thats oppression and that's the entire reason colin knelt in the first place to bring light to the oppression of black people that continues to this day. funny how people are so pissed about this but don't mind a president who lies constantly, supports bigots and white supremacists and has made a mockery of the office of the president which upholds our flag and there's no problem with him being unamerican and disrespecting our entire country,. but hey he probably looks like you and talks like you so you probably agree with him and his unamerican values
Actually, your rights to protest CAN be limited by your employer while you're on the job. I suspect had these NFL players decided to stage some type of protest OFF the field, we wouldn't have near the backlash or media coverage. Most companies have an employee handbook specifying what is allowed or prohibited and they have every right to enforce that.

There have been 700+ people killed by cops this year nationwide. We have over 350 MILLION people living in this country. Do you honestly believe this 'cause' is a worth while cause to pursue? Seriously?

Take out the second sentence of that statement and listen to how cavalierly stupid it is.

Reactions: AKG17
I want to thank everyone who posted in this thread for the civil discussion we were able to have. When we can come together and talk about our difference in opinions like this, we all win. There have been great points made on both sides of this debate and when we act like this as Americans, it makes us all better as Americans. Again, thank you. It's been informative and educational.

So, the kneelers are like the guy who was polite in the clip, and those opposing the kneelers are like the rude b!tch??

Lulz - ok.

No, he was but on a ship and never was allowed to set foot in America again. He died on the ship and was buried at sea. He said he never wanted to see American and he got his wish. It is a true story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT