ADVERTISEMENT

My prediction, what's yours?

Tea leaves currently say Payne. I’m 50/50 on whether I’m on board with it.

I just read an article on Auburn and they say there has been contact between Louisville and Pearl. Pearl was asked if he was interested in the Louisville job and he didn’t say whether he was or not. You would think if he wasn’t interested he would say so and put it to rest. Like many have said he might be using the Louisville job as leverage for better pay at Auburn.

I have to wonder if Pearl likes the small town atmosphere of Auburn or would he rather be in a bigger city with more to do. Also the University of Louisville is the only show in town and if Pearl came and had the same success here that he has had everywhere else he would have the key to the city.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
I just read an article on Auburn and they say there has been contact between Louisville and Pearl. Pearl was asked if he was interested in the Louisville job and he didn’t say whether he was or not. You would think if he wasn’t interested he would say so and put it to rest. Like many have said he might be using the Louisville job as leverage for better pay at Auburn.

I have to wonder if Pearl likes the small town atmosphere of Auburn or would he rather be in a bigger city with more to do. Also the University of Louisville is the only show in town and if Pearl came and had the same success here that he has had everywhere else he would have the key to the city.
Pearl is in a great position either way. Could use this for leverage on a salary bump and the facilities that auburn clearly lacks or, come to a university that is basketball first and already has world class facilities. Going to come down to whether or not those in charge have the balls and the cash to make the deal happen.

FTR - is there really any difference between Mack and Kevin Willard? 🤔

• Haha
Reactions: Gomez Addams
Pearl is in a great position either way. Could use this for leverage on a salary bump and the facilities that auburn clearly lacks or, come to a university that is basketball first and already has world class facilities. Going to come down to whether or not those in charge have the balls and the cash to make the deal happen.

FTR - is there really any difference between Mack and Kevin Willard? 🤔
He has Louisville ties, so you're predicting Pearl?

I am not predicting anyone but I don’t see why Willard would be on the list unless it is on there for respect. I don’t think he would be considered a serious candidate.

I am not predicting anyone but I don’t see why Willard would be on the list unless it is on there for respect. I don’t think he would be considered a serious candidate.
He was when Mack was hired and he has kept Seton Hall a consistent top 25 team. He wouldn't cost as much and he has coached here. A big name, expensive coach is just not probable.

my top choices would be

1. Brad Stevens. Celtics aren't going anywhere. i'm sure he would love to dominate Duke since they beat him in the championship in 2010.
quality of life is better in Louisville than Boston, imo. Louisville has better weather and you can live like royalty compared to Boston.
he gets an NBA like salary coaching college.

2.Ed Cooley of Providence. high character guy and outstanding coach. he has Providence ranked #17 in the nation. there are 4 other top 25 teams in the Big East and he is #1.
he has a tough mentality so can handle the pressure. again with Coach K and Roy Williams gone, it is a great opportunity and better than Providence,imo.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
my top choices would be

1. Brad Stevens. Celtics aren't going anywhere. i'm sure he would love to dominate Duke since they beat him in the championship in 2010.
quality of life is better in Louisville than Boston, imo. Louisville has better weather and you can live like royalty compared to Boston.
he gets an NBA like salary coaching college.

2.Ed Cooley of Providence. high character guy and outstanding coach. he has Providence ranked #17 in the nation. there are 4 other top 25 teams in the Big East and he is #1.
he has a tough mentality so can handle the pressure. again with Coach K and Roy Williams gone, it is a great opportunity and better than Providence,imo.

When I saw Brad Stevens listed as #1, I did not expect to see Cooley listed as #2.

Pearl just signed an extension and is getting a new practice facility. Next!
Source link? I am aware that it is being discussed with renewed energy given Pearl’s name being mentioned with Louisville. But have seen no information of it being put to paper or finalized.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
Source link? I am aware that it is being discussed with renewed energy given Pearl’s name being mentioned with Louisville. But have seen no information of it being put to paper or finalized.
Nothing is final yet at Auburn. He’s likely to remain there, however.

They need to take their time. I think it ends up being Payne. Timing is bad. I can’t imagine a Pearl, Drew or Cronin leaving good situations to come to Louisville in the current state. The older coaches why would the want to deal with 1 or 2 years of NCAA stuff.

A younger coach is ideal. The right guy really could be another golden era.

Kenny Payne might deserve the courtesy of an interview, but that should be the extent of his participation in this hiring process. There is absolutely not a single shred of evidence to support his selection as a Head Coach anywhere, much less here at UL. Those who believe sitting on the bench next to Calipari for several years is sufficient OJT to land this job, please provide evidence where John has ever mentored an assistant who rose to a successful HC job like UL.

The fact that my 1st choice, Bruce Pearl will never be considered by this BoT, primarily based on the heavy influence by those members with strong UK allegiance, is sufficient for me to fully expect a very low expectation hire. Kelvin Sampson would be my next choice, but again, that is a hire that UK would see as a threat.

Kenny Payne might deserve the courtesy of an interview, but that should be the extent of his participation in this hiring process. There is absolutely not a single shred of evidence to support his selection as a Head Coach anywhere, much less here at UL. Those who believe sitting on the bench next to Calipari for several years is sufficient OJT to land this job, please provide evidence where John has ever mentored an assistant who rose to a successful HC job like UL.

The fact that my 1st choice, Bruce Pearl will never be considered by this BoT, primarily based on the heavy influence by those members with strong UK allegiance, is sufficient for me to fully expect a very low expectation hire. Kelvin Sampson would be my next choice, but again, that is a hire that UK would see as a threat.
I see Pearl and Sampson as threats we will never get out from under the black cloud we call NCAA..

Sorry, I read something that only speculated to the fact. It’s not a done deal. Here is a link where there is speculation he wil stay.

Reactions: Steelers2012
If you are in a state that allows sports betting, I’d put the max bet on Payne at 4-1. The support for him is coalescing and it includes some of the biggest, most influential donors.

Reactions: nccardfan
This coaching hire has been the talk of the town and I haven’t talked to anyone who wants Payne as the coach. They don’t want to take the gamble on an unproven coach especially since our program is already in a bad situation.

I think it is possible (50/50) that Mike Pegues will use his interim role as the stepping stone to be given an extension as the HC.

The irony here is that Mike has a brief (6 games coming into today) as HC of UL …….. that is 6 games more than Payne has.

Let‘s wait until the end of this season before making any permanent decision.

By the way …… my “wish list” that identified Pearl and Sampson were just that …… “wishes”, that I think I made clear in my previous post that were not going to happen here.

Regrettably, I still believe there are influences in this community and beyond that will do everything possible to limit UL’s success below that of UK.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT