ADVERTISEMENT

My last days as a Louisville Cardinal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 24, 2009
So this year has been a difficult year for me. My family (and even me personally) have suffered medical issues, my dog that I've had since I still lived in Louisville passed away and UofL has continued to cause me heartache.

With all that said, I could still continue to be a fan of Louisville, but it is with mixed emotions that I have decided to use 2018 as a fresh start. As some of you know my family is from Louisville and all of them live in Louisville. With that said, I was born in Florida and spent the first 15 years of my life in Florida. My dad worked down there and we moved back to Louisville to take care of my sick grandparents on my mother's side (both died within 5 years of returning). I finished my last 3 years of high school at St. X and then went on to attend and graduate from UofL. While the rest of my family was glad to finally be back in Louisville I decided to move back to Florida after graduating from UofL 7 years ago. While growing up I did cheer for UofL but I also cheered for UF as well, since all my friends were UF fans.

You could say that I was probably the least happy UofL fan in 2012 when UofL beat UF in the Sugar Bowl. I was ecstatic for UofL to win but also sad to see UF lose. As I attended UofL and my family attended UofL has always been my primary team with UF being my secondary team.

As we have started the basketball season though my heart just isn't in it anymore for UofL. Too tired of having to defend UofL, too tired of the unknown in terms of the scandals. Really tired of knowing the sad truth, that the state of Kentucky is going to bring UofL down just because they can't stand UofL upstaging UK. This corrupt interim president and the board of directors isn't going to allow UofL to succeed. One by one they will let all of our good coaches get poached by other schools and UofL will go back to the way we were before Tom Jurich. It wouldn't shock me if they don't try to use this to let UK take over UofL like they tried to back when UofL first became a public state university. It will be sad to see.

In a way I'm glad I got to travel though Kentucky back in July while visiting family. I flew into Nashville, spent 2 days there and then while driving up to Louisville spent two days and stopped at the Corvette Museum, Mammouth Cave and the Bourbon Trail. At this point I will never visit the state of Kentucky again outside of visiting family in Louisville. As far as I'm concerned the entire state of Kentucky outside of Louisville can burn. Bunch of in bred, racist, bigots afraid of anything or anyone that isn't exactly like them. I'm sorry that those of you in Louisville have to share a state with them.

Come January 1st I will primarily be a Florida Gator. I will be done with the University of Louisville. I have already called UofL to have them take me off any e-mail or mail communication. Sure I will follow them occasionally and hope they do well, but Florida will be my primary school now. I probably wouldn't do this if I hadn't partially grown up as a Florida fan. Trust me when I say it's not easy and it will not be easy telling my family.Have any of you all had that hard discussion as well? Have any of you all started to seriously question whether you will follow UofL sports long term?

I want you all to know that is has truly been a pleasure. I'm just sad that it is now ending.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wall Knight Teague
So this year has been a difficult year for me. My family (and even me personally) have suffered medical issues, my dog that I've had since I still lived in Louisville passed away and UofL has continued to cause me heartache.

With all that said, I could still continue to be a fan of Louisville, but it is with mixed emotions that I have decided to use 2018 as a fresh start. As some of you know my family is from Louisville and all of them live in Louisville. With that said, I was born in Florida and spent the first 15 years of my life in Florida. My dad worked down there and we moved back to Louisville to take care of my sick grandparents on my mother's side (both died within 5 years of returning). I finished my last 3 years of high school at St. X and then went on to attend and graduate from UofL. While the rest of my family was glad to finally be back in Louisville I decided to move back to Florida after graduating from UofL 7 years ago. While growing up I did cheer for UofL but I also cheered for UF as well, since all my friends were UF fans.

You could say that I was probably the least happy UofL fan in 2012 when UofL beat UF in the Sugar Bowl. I was ecstatic for UofL to win but also sad to see UF lose. As I attended UofL and my family attended UofL has always been my primary team with UF being my secondary team.

As we have started the basketball season though my heart just isn't in it anymore for UofL. Too tired of having to defend UofL, too tired of the unknown in terms of the scandals. Really tired of knowing the sad truth, that the state of Kentucky is going to bring UofL down just because they can't stand UofL upstaging UK. This corrupt interim president and the board of directors isn't going to allow UofL to succeed. One by one they will let all of our good coaches get poached by other schools and UofL will go back to the way we were before Tom Jurich. It wouldn't shock me if they don't try to use this to let UK take over UofL like they tried to back when UofL first became a public state university. It will be sad to see.

In a way I'm glad I got to travel though Kentucky back in July while visiting family. I flew into Nashville, spent 2 days there and then while driving up to Louisville spent two days and stopped at the Corvette Museum, Mammouth Cave and the Bourbon Trail. At this point I will never visit the state of Kentucky again outside of visiting family in Louisville. As far as I'm concerned the entire state of Kentucky outside of Louisville can burn. Bunch of in bred, racist, bigots afraid of anything or anyone that isn't exactly like them. I'm sorry that those of you in Louisville have to share a state with them.

Come January 1st I will primarily be a Florida Gator. I will be done with the University of Louisville. I have already called UofL to have them take me off any e-mail or mail communication. Sure I will follow them occasionally and hope they do well, but Florida will be my primary school now. I probably wouldn't do this if I hadn't partially grown up as a Florida fan. Trust me when I say it's not easy and it will not be easy telling my family.Have any of you all had that hard discussion as well? Have any of you all started to seriously question whether you will follow UofL sports long term?

I want you all to know that is has truly been a pleasure. I'm just sad that it is now ending.
Let me guess - Drama major?

Let me guess - Drama major?

Business Management and Finance double major thank you very much. I hope you realize I'm not saying I enjoy doing this and I hope you realize that a lot of people are, in the very least, taking a break from UofL right now. This has deeply hurt a lot of us.

13yggg.jpg

Reactions: Cue Card
I don't like Donald Trump but that doesn't mean I am going to quit loving America. Same with the folks who didn't like Obama.

It's just sports, geeze. Have a nice life. Don't come chasing the bandwagon when it starts rolling again..

It could be anyone that works at WLKY-32

If you look at my post history you'll see I'm not some fly by night poster. I've been posting on this site since 2009.

Let me ask you something, what are you all going to do when Postel is given the president position permanently (it's going to happen as Bevin and the board know they can control him, you all need to accept that now) and he completely de-emphasizes athletics?

If you look at my post history you'll see I'm not some fly by night poster. I've been posting on this site since 2009.

Let me ask you something, what are you all going to do when Postel is given the president position permanently (it's going to happen as Bevin and the board know they can control him, you all need to accept that now) and he completely de-emphasizes athletics?

What happens when Gov Scott does the same thing at Florida? Who is option 3?

What happens when Gov Scott does the same thing at Florida? Who is option 3?

You do realize that unlike the state of Kentucky the state of Florida actually supports their state universities right? The University of Florida does not have to worry in the slightest about the state essentially going to war against them. Trust me the Bull Gators have no lack of money.

Here's the deal...you don't get anywhere by giving up. I appreciate what you're saying is heartfelt. But I'm already seeing evidence of how this ordeal will play out, and it's still very early. You're conceding a ballgame in the 1st quarter.

And I'm here to tell you that any aspiring athletic program is gonna have hurdles. The world is full of haters who wanna see you down at their level. If Florida is content to stay where they are, you're not gonna have similar issues with them coming under attack because no one will care about them. Is that what you want?...

Here's the deal...you don't get anywhere by giving up. I appreciate what you're saying is heartfelt. But I'm already seeing evidence of how this ordeal will play out, and it's still very early. You're conceding a ballgame in the 1st quarter.

And I'm here to tell you that any aspiring athletic program is gonna have hurdles. The world is full of haters who wanna see you down at their level. If Florida is content to stay where they are, you're not gonna have similar issues with them coming under attack because no one will care about them. Is that what you want?...

The difference is I'm tired of knowing that UofL will always be at war with the state of Kentucky and that's just not a battle we're going to win long term. The state government could shut down UofL athletics tomorrow if they wanted to, now of course they won't because they like the tax revenue that comes from UofL athletics. With that said the state government has all the pieces in place now to cut UofL down in size and they are going to do it. They have hated that for years UofL has outshined UK and in their minds they are going to put UofL in their place.

You do realize that Florida has possibly the best athletics program in the country right? Here's some of the accomplishments of Florida athletics teams:
Football: 1996, 2006 and 2008 National Champions
Basketball: 2006 and 2007 National Champions and multiple Final Four and Elite Eight appearances
Baseball: 2017 National Champions and multiple CWS appearances
Softball: 2014 and 2015 National Champions and multiple WCWS appearances
Gymnastics: 2013, 2014 and 2015 National Champions
Women's Tennis: 1992, 1996, 1998, 2003, 2011, 2012 and 2017 National Champions
Volleyball: 2003 and 2017 National Runner Ups

I could keep continuing, but the point is women's basketball is about the only sport where UF has failed. Football under Dan Mullen is going to get back on track (look at what he did at Miss State with nowhere near the talent he'll have at Florida).

UF has 39 National Championships across all sports. UofL even as we've developed and have great success have still not won a National Championship outside of men's basketball.

Yeah I'm sure there are plenty of people who would love to see Florida go down, but that's not going to happen anytime soon. Plus again they have the support of the state.

You do realize that Florida has possibly the best athletics program in the country right? Here's some of the accomplishments of Florida athletics teams:
Basketball: 2006 and 2007 National Champions and multiple Final Four and Elite Eight appearances

I could keep continuing, but the point is women's basketball is about the only sport where UF has failed. Football under Dan Mullen is going to get back on track (look at what he did at Miss State with nowhere near the talent he'll have at Florida).

Yeah I'm sure there are plenty of people who would love to see Florida go down, but that's not going to happen anytime soon. Plus again they have the support of the state.

Bye, frontrunner!

Bye, frontrunner!

More like being smart, getting out before the state of Kentucky breaks my heart and shut UofL athletics down or de-emphasizes it to the point where it's unrecognizable. Petrino, Waltz and McDonnell will all be gone within 3 years. Once they no longer receive the support necessary they will sadly be easy for other schools to poach.

Bye, frontrunner!

Never said I was a front runner, just indicating to wilkie that he was dead wrong about UF. He said UF was essentially irrelevant in college sports when the exact opposite is true. Trust me there are a lot of SEC programs who would love to see UF go down but they haven't succeeded yet. UGA is the only SEC school that's even close to UF in terms of overall athletics achievement.

UF has 39 National Championships across all sports. UofL even as we've developed and have great success have still not won a National Championship outside of men's basketball.

Their football program is hurting, and the basketball coach is gone when a marquee basketball job comes along. Women's basketball is more important than the bottom half of your list. Florida in 2017 is mostly cashing checks...

To the OP. I knew you were full of sh-- when you indicted the entire state as bigoted rednecks, to the exclusion of Louisville, of course. I live in Bowling Green. Next time I travel through your marvelous city, think I'll start with Fairdale, work my way through Valley Station, PRP and Shively. Then circle on around until I reach Newburg. I'm sure, when I get back to Bowling Green, I'll be thoroughly depressed at how backwards we are compared to your fine cosmopolitan city. Lol

To the OP. I knew you were full of sh-- when you indicted the entire state as bigoted rednecks, to the exclusion of Louisville, of course. I live in Bowling Green. Next time I travel through your marvelous city, think I'll start with Fairdale, work my way through Valley Station, PRP and Shively. Then circle on around until I reach Newburg. I'm sure, when I get back to Bowling Green, I'll be thoroughly depressed at how backwards we are compared to your fine cosmopolitan city. Lol

Funny how you mention the areas of the city that actually have the most UK fans. The one bad aspect of Louisville, PRP, Fairdale and Valley Station are all UK areas. Funny how you forget about the truly great areas of Louisville, including the Highlands, Crescent Hill, Downtown, Old Louisville, Germantown, St. Matthews, even going out into the Brownsboro Road, Middletown, Lyndon and J-Town areas of the city. Of course it's no coincidence all of those areas are UofL strongholds.

And BTW, yes even Fairdale, Valley Station, PRP and Shively are better than all other parts of the state. At least in those areas you're still in Louisville where you won't be spit on or degraded if you're a minority or are anything but a white conservative racist Christian.

The OP would have been more accurate saying you suckle from the teat of Jefferson County. If you're an out-of-town U of L fan, however, enjoy the taste...

Their football program is hurting, and the basketball coach is gone when a marquee basketball job comes along. Women's basketball is more important than the bottom half of your list. Florida in 2017 is mostly cashing checks...

The UF football program is in far better shape than the UofL basketball program right now. UF football has been hurting but Dan Mullen is a very good coach and I expect UF will be back to competing for SEC titles shortly. UofL basketball on the other hand, even in the best case scenario is going to be in the dumps for several years. Look at IU after Kelvin Sampson, they were nothing for years. Unfortunately that will be UofL basketball for several years.

And you might want to check your sources because no one outside of a few basketball schools really cares about women's basketball. Go to any college campus in the southeast, middle of the country or even west coast and college baseball is far bigger than women's college basketball. Obviously neither reach the height of college football or men's college basketball but women's college basketball in most of the country is still largely a joke.

I guarantee you that 99% of South Carolina fans would trade in their Women's College Basketball National Title right now for another Baseball National Title.

I've lived in both BG and Louisville. Are you implying there aren't any bad parts of BG?

I've lived in both BG and Louisville. Are you implying there aren't any bad parts of BG?

Exactly, maybe to a Kentucky person who doesn't know any better BG is some sort of meca. To the rest of us though who are more cultured BG is just your typical college town. It's growing, mind you that, but still just a college town. When I went through Bowling Green in July there was really nothing about the city that impressed me.

I will say if I had to be stuck in a city in Kentucky outside Louisville it would probably be Covington or Bowling Green. At least that way you are either right over the river from Cincinnati and very close to Nashville.

I do agree you, most of the white trash in the Metro Area (both sides of the river) are UK fans. You can't deny that. In fact, the Jefferson Co. UK fans are by far the worst of the whole brood...

I never really understand the point of these threads. Why are you just now deciding all of this? It’s not like we haven’t had to deal with a bunch of crap the last 2 years and just now things started getting bad. Also, it’s kind of arrogant that anyone would think that people care about who joe blow is a fan of in sports. I know if I stopped being a U of L fan that no one on this board would give a rat’s turd. If you’re looking for someone to tell you not to jump, then this isn’t really an area where people care enough to say “Don’t do it you have so much to live for.” Because sports fandom isn’t that important. It’s just supposed to be fun.

Reactions: shadow force
I do agree you, most of the white trash in the Metro Area (both sides of the river) are UK fans. You can't deny that. In fact, the Jefferson Co. UK fans are by far the worst of the whole brood...

Yep I don't deny Louisville has its rough parts, but it's not coincidence that outside of Shively and the West End they all just happen to be where the UK fans live in the city. Fairdale, Valley Station, PRP, South Louisville in general have a lot of UK fans.

On the other hand go to Old Louisville, Crescent Hill, Highlands, Germantown, St. Matthews, Indian Hills, Northfield, Lyndon, Middletown and Anchorage and you will be hard pressed to find any UK fans (except for those working on houses and doing yard work, lol).

The UF football program is in far better shape than the UofL basketball program right now. UF football has been hurting but Dan Mullen is a very good coach and I expect UF will be back to competing for SEC titles shortly. UofL basketball on the other hand, even in the best case scenario is going to be in the dumps for several years. Look at IU after Kelvin Sampson, they were nothing for years. Unfortunately that will be UofL basketball for several years.

And you might want to check your sources because no one outside of a few basketball schools really cares about women's basketball. Go to any college campus in the southeast, middle of the country or even west coast and college baseball is far bigger than women's college basketball. Obviously neither reach the height of college football or men's college basketball but women's college basketball in most of the country is still largely a joke.

I guarantee you that 99% of South Carolina fans would trade in their Women's College Basketball National Title right now for another Baseball National Title.
Well, maybe you can explain to me why women's basketball is on TV more than any other college sport but men's basketball and football?

And U of L basketball has had a HOF coach in place the last fifty years. If you take cheating out of the picture, Florida didn't have a run of success in football until the 90s started, twenty years after Crum appeared at U of L. Alongside of Spurrier and Meyer, the Gators has had such coaching legends as Zook, Muschamp, and McElwain.

If you're fading as a U of L fan, you need to pick your next horse carefully. Florida ain't no improvement...

I would venture to guess that there are plenty of UK fans in every region of Louisville. Even the "good" parts. What your responses confirm is that Louisville isn't any different than any other part of the state. Good and bad folks everywhere. Just irritating to read crap about how Louisville is a cultural dreamland compared to the rest of the state. Bowling Green is doing just fine. Btw, I'm sure the good citizens of greater Louisville enjoy being referred to as white trash, as so many of you claim.

Well, maybe you can explain to me why women's basketball is on TV more than any other college sport but men's basketball and football?

And U of L basketball has had a HOF coach in place the last fifty years. If you take cheating out of the picture, Florida didn't have a run of success in football until the 90s started, twenty years after Crum appeared at U of L. Alongside of Spurrier and Meyer, the Gators has had such coaching legends as Zook, Muschamp, and McElwain.

If you're fading as a U of L fan, you need to pick your next horse carefully. Florida ain't no improvement...

And you miss the point completely. First of all last time I checked the NCAA College Baseball tournament is broadcast all over ESPN. The regionals are on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, SEC Network, ACC Network, it pretty much takes over the ESPN networks for the entire weekend. Same for the Super Regionals, all over the ESPN networks. All of the College World Series games are broadcast on ESPN or ESPN2. The NCAA Baseball Tournament gets just as much coverage as the NCAA Women's Basketball Tournament.

Last time I checked there's a lot of women's college basketball games that are either not broadcast or broadcast on local or regional networks. The WNBA gets a lot of TV coverage too, does that make it popular? Just so you know zipp, the next UofL women's basketball game, NO TV COVERAGE. The game after that, internet only on ACC network. The game after that, RSN. The UofL women's basketball team isn't on national TV again until January 11th. Considering how political ESPN is now they are just trying to force women's sports down everyone throats, it doesn't mean it's that popular.

Again, go over to the South Carolina boards. They are the defending NCAA Women's College Basketball National Champions. Ask them if they would've rather won the National Title in Women's College Basketball or College Baseball. 99% of them will choose College Baseball.

The difference is I'm tired of knowing that UofL will always be at war with the state of Kentucky and that's just not a battle we're going to win long term. The state government could shut down UofL athletics tomorrow if they wanted to, now of course they won't because they like the tax revenue that comes from UofL athletics. With that said the state government has all the pieces in place now to cut UofL down in size and they are going to do it. They have hated that for years UofL has outshined UK and in their minds they are going to put UofL in their place.

I see this too. Pretty amazing if you think about it. Truly cutting off the nose to spite the face. Without a major sport(s) program in the state's main city,... it's going to recess the city and state. Cat fans in Louisville just sold out their own city because of a game. Crazy how stupid some people are.

Hmmm lets see Spurrier and Meyer only had 2 of the greatest runs in college football history. Between the 2 you are talking 3 National Championships, 9 SEC Championships, 12 SEC East Championships, 5 BCS Bowl wins and 2 Heisman Trophy winners. There aren't many college football programs that have 3 Heisman Trophy winners under 3 different coaches and National Championships under 2 different coaches. Florida isn't an improvement now but UF is going to go up. Heck Muschamp and McElwain are considered complete failures and under those 2 coaches UF still went to 2 SEC Championship games and had a 12 win season. Even Bear Bryant back in the day was always scared of what UF would be if they got the right coach.

You mentioned Zook, Muschamp and McElwain, lets remember UofL has had coaching legends such as Ron Cooper and Steve Kragthorpe. I would argue UF never went down to the depth UofL did when those two coaches were at the end of the UofL careers. UF though can recover from a bad coach a lot quicker than UofL can, at least in football.

Don't get me wrong, what UofL has done in football is amazing. But lets be honest, until UofL wins an NC in football UofL fans can't say anything about UF in football.

Last edited:
I see this too. Pretty amazing if you think about it. Truly cutting off the nose to spite the face. Without a major sport(s) program in the state's main city,... it's going to recess the city and state. Cat fans in Louisville just sold out their own city because of a game. Crazy how stupid some people are.

Exactly, eventually one way or another UK fans are going to get their wish. They are so concerned over a game they are too stupid to realize that the downfall of UofL will cause a major economic impact in the city of Louisville.

And here's the thing, if the city of Louisville gets hurt, the state of Kentucky gets hurt. Who do people out in the state are paying for those nice new roads to nowhere and the free giveaway programs? It's the city of Louisville, without the city of Louisville this state is bankrupt and in the same level as West Virginia and Mississippi, maybe even worse. There is no other state in the U.S. that hates it main city and economic engine like the state of Kentucky hates the city of Louisville.

But UK fans don't care, because UK fans (and by in large most people in Kentucky) are racist bigoted rednecks who could care less if they don't even have shoes to wear as long as UK is the #1 team in the state.

And you miss the point completely. First of all last time I checked the NCAA College Baseball tournament is broadcast all over ESPN. The regionals are on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, SEC Network, ACC Network, it pretty much takes over the ESPN networks for the entire weekend. Same for the Super Regionals, all over the ESPN networks. All of the College World Series games are broadcast on ESPN or ESPN2. The NCAA Baseball Tournament gets just as much coverage as the NCAA Women's Basketball Tournament.

Last time I checked there's a lot of women's college basketball games that are either not broadcast or broadcast on local or regional networks. The WNBA gets a lot of TV coverage too, does that make it popular? Just so you know zipp, the next UofL women's basketball game, NO TV COVERAGE. The game after that, internet only on ACC network. The game after that, RSN. The UofL women's basketball team isn't on national TV again until January 11th. Considering how political ESPN is now they are just trying to force women's sports down everyone throats, it doesn't mean it's that popular.

Again, go over to the South Carolina boards. They are the defending NCAA Women's College Basketball National Champions. Ask them if they would've rather won the National Title in Women's College Basketball or College Baseball. 99% of them will choose College Baseball.
Well, let's look at national TV ratings which are measurable...

Viewership of the CWS runs about one million per game. LINK

Viewership of the women's basketball final this year was 4X that. LINK

Those stats are more illustrative of fan interest, clearly higher in women's basketball by multiples...

eah. UofL will always answer to UK now.
Exactly, eventually one way or another UK fans are going to get their wish. They are so concerned over a game they are too stupid to realize that the downfall of UofL will cause a major economic impact in the city of Louisville.

And here's the thing, if the city of Louisville gets hurt, the state of Kentucky gets hurt. Who do people out in the state are paying for those nice new roads to nowhere and the free giveaway programs? It's the city of Louisville, without the city of Louisville this state is bankrupt and in the same level as West Virginia and Mississippi, maybe even worse. There is no other state in the U.S. that hates it main city and economic engine like the state of Kentucky hates the city of Louisville.

But UK fans don't care, because UK fans (and by in large most people in Kentucky) are racist bigoted rednecks who could care less if they don't even have shoes to wear as long as UK is the #1 team in the state.

Yep. UofL will always answer to UK now.

Edit***People in the state are good people. They have nothing to do with this.

Hmmm lets see Spurrier and Meyer only had 2 of the greatest runs in college football history. Between the 2 you are talking 3 National Championships, 9 SEC Championships, 12 SEC East Championships, 5 BCS Bowl wins and 2 Heisman Trophy winners. There also aren't many college football programs that have 3 Heisman Trophy winners and National Championships under multiple coaches. Florida isn't an improvement now but UF is going to go up. Heck Muschamp and McElwain are considered complete failures and under those 2 coaches UF still went to 2 SEC Championship games and had a 12 win season. Even Bear Bryant back in the day was always scared of what UF would be if they got the right coach.

You mentioned Zook, Muschamp and McElwain, lets remember UofL has had coaching legends such as Ron Cooper and Steve Kragthorpe. I would argue UF never went down to the depth UofL did when those two coaches were at the end of the UofL careers. UF though can recover from a bad coach a lot quicker than UofL can, at least in football.

Don't get me wrong, what UofL has done in football is amazing. But lets be honest, until UofL wins an NC in football UofL fans can't say anything about UF in football.
You're changing the narrative... The debate you started was about Florida football and U of L basketball. Now you're injecting U of L football into the argument. Personally, I wouldn't be anymore optimistic that Florida football can recover any better than U of L basketball. The only basis for that opinion would be U of L's pathetic leadership at the moment.

Like I said, you're simply switching horses--not to a better or faster one. And fine, just do it. No reason for you to have to win a debate on the subject...

I would venture to guess that there are plenty of UK fans in every region of Louisville. Even the "good" parts. What your responses confirm is that Louisville isn't any different than any other part of the state. Good and bad folks everywhere. Just irritating to read crap about how Louisville is a cultural dreamland compared to the rest of the state. Bowling Green is doing just fine. Btw, I'm sure the good citizens of greater Louisville enjoy being referred to as white trash, as so many of you claim.

Yeah newsflash, compared to the rest of the state Louisville is a cultural dreamland. We are the light in a very dark state. If it hadn't been for Louisville there is no doubt Kentucky would've officially enjoyed the Confederacy in the Civil War. If it hadn't been for Louisville there is no doubt that Kentucky would've been right up there with Mississippi in being last to integrate and treat blacks like human beings. If it wasn't for Louisville the state of Kentucky would be at the same level as West Virginia and Mississippi and a lot of you all wouldn't even have paved roads. The state of Kentucky is nothing without the city of Louisville.

Louisville is a city that is increasingly diverse (while Kentucky stays overwhelmingly white), has a great Orchestra, a vibrant arts scene, a great art museum and a progressive outlook. None of those can be said about the rest of the state.

You're changing the narrative... The debate you started was about Florida football and U of L basketball. Now you're injecting U of L football into the argument. Personally, I wouldn't be anymore optimistic that Florida football can recover any better than U of L basketball. The only basis for that opinion would be U of L's leadership at the moment.

Like I said, you're simply switching horses--not to a better or faster one. And fine, just do it. No reason for you to have to win a debate on the subject...

You seem to forget, at Florida there can easily be 20 - 30 football recruits within a 100 mile radius. A football coach at Florida can recruit during the day and be home for dinner at 6, something that can not be said at UofL. There are more football recruits within 50 miles of Gainesville alone than there are in the entire state of Kentucky. Florida can be a disaster and still have a top 25 recruiting class, whereas UofL has to really fight to get in the top 25.

Florida is just like Alabama in the sense that Florida could go 0 - 12 for 10 straight years and Florida will always be 2 years away from a potential National Title. The talent for the most part is just always there. If UofL even has 1 or 2 off years recruiting suffers and it takes longer to get that talent back. Look at Charlie Strong, it took him 3 years to get UofL back into a good position after the Kragthorpe debacle. Same with John L. Smith, 3 years after Cooper wrecked the program. If it wasn't for the QB mess there's probably enough talent on the Florida roster to compete in the SEC East this upcoming season. That's the big difference.

In terms of UofL basketball, the difference between UofL basketball and UF football is the sanctions that are coming up. Remember, UofL basketball is going to be looking at major penalties in terms of scholarship reductions and probably has at least one additional NCAA Tournament ban coming. Once UofL gets past that UofL basketball could probably recover just as quickly, but it's going to take 4 - 5 years to get through the penalty phase. Think about it, currently UofL basketball has no recruits for 2018 and 2019, that's devastating. That's what is going to slow UofL basketball down in terms of a recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT