ADVERTISEMENT

My last days as a Louisville Cardinal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, let's look at national TV ratings which are measurable...

Viewership of the CWS runs about one million per game. LINK

Viewership of the women's basketball final this year was 4X that. LINK

Those stats are more illustrative of fan interest, clearly higher in women's basketball by multiples...

And again, ask any fanbase which National Title they would treasure more and they'll tell you a CWS title. I can tell you right now, as much as I enjoy seeing the UofL Women's Basketball team do well I'd much rather see UofL win a National Title in College Baseball than Women's College Basketball.

And BTW Zipp, you might want to read this article about Women's College Basketball attendance at the NCAA Tournament regionals. Attendance was at a 20 year LOW this past year. Pretty sure almost all College Baseball Super Regionals average more than 4,252 fans.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-regional-attendance-at-20-year-low/99799322/

It's a simple fact, outside of UConn, Louisville, Stanford, Tennessee and Notre Dame no one really cares about women's college basketball. The only reason South Carolina fans cared was because they were winning, once they start losing again their attendance will fade quickly.

I would venture to guess that there are plenty of UK fans in every region of Louisville. Even the "good" parts. What your responses confirm is that Louisville isn't any different than any other part of the state. Good and bad folks everywhere. Just irritating to read crap about how Louisville is a cultural dreamland compared to the rest of the state. Bowling Green is doing just fine. Btw, I'm sure the good citizens of greater Louisville enjoy being referred to as white trash, as so many of you claim.

Bowling Green isn't anything but a pit stop on the way to Nashville.

I hope that your family medical issues are behind you now. As for the fandom, you’re free to pull for anyone, just don’t call yourself a fan. Bandwagon is what people like you are referred to.

I hope that your family medical issues are behind you now. As for the fandom, you’re free to pull for anyone, just don’t call yourself a fan. Bandwagon is what people like you are referred to.

You can be assured I will be calling myself a fan. Technically my fandom of Florida goes as far back as my fandom of Louisville. Louisville was my primary team as I went there but I am not a bandwagon fan.

Besides, if I was truly a bandwagon fan, wouldn't I choose Clemson, Alabama or Georgia instead?

You seem to forget, at Florida there can easily be 20 - 30 football recruits within a 100 mile radius. A football coach at Florida can recruit during the day and be home for dinner at 6, something that can not be said at UofL. There are more football recruits within 50 miles of Gainesville alone than there are in the entire state of Kentucky. Florida can be a disaster and still have a top 25 recruiting class, whereas UofL has to really fight to get in the top 25.

Florida is just like Alabama in the sense that Florida could go 0 - 12 for 10 straight years and Florida will always be 2 years away from a potential National Title. The talent for the most part is just always there. If UofL even has 1 or 2 off years recruiting suffers and it takes longer to get that talent back. Look at Charlie Strong, it took him 3 years to get UofL back into a good position after the Kragthorpe debacle. Same with John L. Smith, 3 years after Cooper wrecked the program. If it wasn't for the QB mess there's probably enough talent on the Florida roster to compete in the SEC East this upcoming season. That's the big difference.

In terms of UofL basketball, the difference between UofL basketball and UF football is the sanctions that are coming up. Remember, UofL basketball is going to be looking at major penalties in terms of scholarship reductions and probably has at least one additional NCAA Tournament ban coming. Once UofL gets past that UofL basketball could probably recover just as quickly, but it's going to take 4 - 5 years to get through the penalty phase. Think about it, currently UofL basketball has no recruits for 2018 and 2019, that's devastating. That's what is going to slow UofL basketball down in terms of a recovery.
I know perfectly well where Florida is situated... They're also competing with FSU and Miami for recruits, upstarts Central and South Florida, and much of the eastern half of the US mining for football talent. That confidence works fine if the University of Florida owns the State...it does not.

Florida (the University) has had fits and starts maintaining its football program at the highest possible level. Since joining the ACC, U of L has had a higher conference W-L percentage than Florida. The Gators have played in weak division for a few years now. And you know that many U of L fans are unhappy where our own team sits. Our standards in basketball are always gonna be higher than Florida's in both men's and women's sports. Our baseball program takes a back seat to no one's.

And you have no more idea than I do what's coming for U of L in basketball because no one knows where this FBI thing is going. The more teams and the higher it goes, the less likely anything significant happens unless the NCAA wants to destroy the very sport it depends on.

I'll reiterate... If you wanna bolt for the door, be my guest. Just don't try to base your decision on flawed reasoning that no one else agrees with...

And again, ask any fanbase which National Title they would treasure more and they'll tell you a CWS title. I can tell you right now, as much as I enjoy seeing the UofL Women's Basketball team do well I'd much rather see UofL win a National Title in College Baseball than Women's College Basketball.
That's your opinion re. baseball and women's basketball. Only applies to you.

And I can understand you wanting to look past Florida's recent performance in women's basketball. It ain't much to write home about...

And BTW Zipp, you might want to read this article about Women's College Basketball attendance at the NCAA Tournament regionals. Attendance was at a 20 year LOW this past year. Pretty sure almost all College Baseball Super Regionals average more than 4,252 fans...
I guess 4X more people just like watching women's college basketball on TV. Or TV broadcasts programming irrespective of audience popularity.

Now that this guy had decommitted from UofL, is he a soft verbal to UF? Might be that he is weighing his options - Golden State Warriors, the Patriots and the Houston Astros are all teams to watch for him. Also we are hearing there might be a dark horse school (hint: a certain light blue school that surprisingly escaped probation.) We will be keeping an eye on the message boards to see who gets his fandom commitment.

I know perfectly well where Florida is situated... They're also competing with FSU and Miami for recruits, upstarts Central and South Florida, and much of the eastern half of the US mining for football talent. That confidence works fine if the University of Florida owns the State...it does not.

Florida (the University) has had fits and starts maintaining its football program at the highest possible level. Since joining the ACC, U of L has had a higher conference W-L percentage than Florida. The Gators have played in weak division for a few years now. And you know that many U of L fans are unhappy where our own team sits. Our standards in basketball are always gonna be higher than Florida's in both men's and women's sports. Our baseball program takes a back seat to no one's.

And you have no more idea than I do what's coming for U of L in basketball because no one knows where this FBI thing is going. The more teams and the higher it goes, the less likely anything significant happens unless the NCAA wants to destroy the very sport it depends on.

I'll reiterate... If you wanna bolt for the door, be my guest. Just don't try to base your decision on flawed reasoning that no one else agrees with...

Still better to have the recruits in your own back yard instead of having to go into someone else's back yard. The "play for the home state team" factor is still a very strong one for a lot of kids, especially when they grew up as fans of that team. UofL has no room for error as the state of Kentucky has very few football recruits and even then they have to recruit against UK for those few recruits in state. UF might not own the state but any 5 star recruit in the state listens when UF comes calling, that's a fact.

You are comparing one of UofL's better stretch to UF's worst stretch since the 80s. UF easily had one of their worst stretches in 30 years and still won the SEC East 2 out of the last 3 years. That shows that the talent is there at UF, they just need the right coach and Coach Mullen has shown that he is a good coach. If he can accomplish what he did at MSU I am excited about what he can accomplish at UF with far better talent.

Have you ever even lived in Florida or talked to a UF fan? You are dead wrong if you think UofL standards in men's and women's sports are higher than UF. Heck one of the thing UF fans have been trashed on in recent memory is having what many consider unrealistic expectations. UF fans expect to compete for a National Title in almost every sport every year, and that includes men's basketball.

You mock UF men's basketball, but lets remember something. After UofL loses the appeal and has to vacate the 2012 Final Four and 2013 NC UF and UofL will have the same number of National Titles. Lets look at the men's basketball facts since 1990:
National Titles: UF - 2 UofL - 0 (1 if you count 2013)
Final Fours: UF - 5 UofL - 1 (3 if you count 2012 and 2013)
Elite Eights: UF - 9 UofL - 5 (7 if you count 2012 and 2013)

The fact is you could argue that UF has had a better men's basketball program than UofL in the 3 point era. And newsflash, UK had the same arrogance that you are showing as well and UK could never get Donovan. It took the NBA to get Billy Donovan out of Gainesville. UF has done a lot of renovations to the basketball arena and has state of the art basketball practice facilities. So newsflash, UF has become a destination job in college basketball and even the so called blue bloods (which BTW most do not put UofL in the blue bloods category, I disagree with it but just a fact) will have a hard time getting a basketball coach out of Gainesville.

The fact is the NCAA doesn't like UofL at this point. Look at what happened to Ole Miss, IMO that was not good news for UofL. The sad thing is UofL will not get the UNC treatment, they are far more likely to get the Ole Miss treatment. UofL will not get out of this scandal without another postseason ban.

So this year has been a difficult year for me. My family (and even me personally) have suffered medical issues, my dog that I've had since I still lived in Louisville passed away and UofL has continued to cause me heartache.

With all that said, I could still continue to be a fan of Louisville, but it is with mixed emotions that I have decided to use 2018 as a fresh start. As some of you know my family is from Louisville and all of them live in Louisville. With that said, I was born in Florida and spent the first 15 years of my life in Florida. My dad worked down there and we moved back to Louisville to take care of my sick grandparents on my mother's side (both died within 5 years of returning). I finished my last 3 years of high school at St. X and then went on to attend and graduate from UofL. While the rest of my family was glad to finally be back in Louisville I decided to move back to Florida after graduating from UofL 7 years ago. While growing up I did cheer for UofL but I also cheered for UF as well, since all my friends were UF fans.

You could say that I was probably the least happy UofL fan in 2012 when UofL beat UF in the Sugar Bowl. I was ecstatic for UofL to win but also sad to see UF lose. As I attended UofL and my family attended UofL has always been my primary team with UF being my secondary team.

As we have started the basketball season though my heart just isn't in it anymore for UofL. Too tired of having to defend UofL, too tired of the unknown in terms of the scandals. Really tired of knowing the sad truth, that the state of Kentucky is going to bring UofL down just because they can't stand UofL upstaging UK. This corrupt interim president and the board of directors isn't going to allow UofL to succeed. One by one they will let all of our good coaches get poached by other schools and UofL will go back to the way we were before Tom Jurich. It wouldn't shock me if they don't try to use this to let UK take over UofL like they tried to back when UofL first became a public state university. It will be sad to see.

In a way I'm glad I got to travel though Kentucky back in July while visiting family. I flew into Nashville, spent 2 days there and then while driving up to Louisville spent two days and stopped at the Corvette Museum, Mammouth Cave and the Bourbon Trail. At this point I will never visit the state of Kentucky again outside of visiting family in Louisville. As far as I'm concerned the entire state of Kentucky outside of Louisville can burn. Bunch of in bred, racist, bigots afraid of anything or anyone that isn't exactly like them. I'm sorry that those of you in Louisville have to share a state with them.

Come January 1st I will primarily be a Florida Gator. I will be done with the University of Louisville. I have already called UofL to have them take me off any e-mail or mail communication. Sure I will follow them occasionally and hope they do well, but Florida will be my primary school now. I probably wouldn't do this if I hadn't partially grown up as a Florida fan. Trust me when I say it's not easy and it will not be easy telling my family.Have any of you all had that hard discussion as well? Have any of you all started to seriously question whether you will follow UofL sports long term?

I want you all to know that is has truly been a pleasure. I'm just sad that it is now ending.
I had to make the same choice 30+ years ago. However, I was not so melodramatic about it. I had the audacity to confront people about their transgressions and discuss them. I had enough of NCAA infractions and largely racist fan base.

However, I do believe you paint with too broad of a brush when it comes to our state. Kentucky has grown tremendously in the past 20 years. I say this as someone whose business has afforded me the opportunity to travel all areas of the state. Yes, you will still find pockets of the stereotypical UK fan, but KY is nothing like it was 20 years ago. My current job involves working with a high percentage of immigrants. When I ask, "Why Kentucky?", invariably their answer is plenty of work, low cost of living, and the people are friendly.

Don't get me wrong. I do not condone any of the recent transgressions of the men's BB program. If you have to go, go. Just skip the melodrama.

Reactions: CardsFirst
However, I do believe you paint with too broad of a brush when it comes to our state. Kentucky has grown tremendously in the past 20 years. I say this as someone whose business has afforded me the opportunity to travel all areas of the state. Yes, you will still find pockets of the stereotypical UK fan, but KY is nothing like it was 20 years ago. My current job involves working with a high percentage of immigrants. When I ask, "Why Kentucky?", invariably their answer is plenty of work, low cost of living, and the people are friendly.

Okay I'm sorry but I couldn't let this comment stand, I have to respond to this. I'm sorry but are you kidding me? Sure the cost of living is low, very few people who didn't grow up in Kentucky want to live in Kentucky. And KY people are friendly? Are you kidding me? Kentucky people are some of the nastiest people I've ever come in contact with. Sure they are the fake southern friendly, they are friendly to your face and then will immediately talk behind your back. I talked to people who moved to Kentucky who said people were friendly but also commented that they were always held at arms length. Kentucky people are socially friendly but you were never truly be their friend if you didn't grow up with them or go to the same high school as them.

And let me ask you someone, are you a white male? Sure they are friendly to you. Let me bring a few black people and hispanic people up from Florida and lets see how friendly they are with them. Or heck, let me really challenge Kentucky people and bring, gasp, a multi-racial couple up to Kentucky. Lets see how nice they are then.

I can't tell you how many times I would talk to a person from Kentucky and they were nice until I mentioned I was a UofL fan. A lot of them wouldn't even talk to me after that, others would get nasty, very few of them stayed nice. Heck I even had a few that refused service to me when I was traveling in the state just because I had a UofL hat on.

So sorry if I'm laughing hysterically at the false narrative that Kentucky people are friendly. Kentucky people are some of the most fake people I've ever met. Sure they are friendly, as long as you are white, conservative, Christian and a UK fan. You are incredibly naive.

Sorry but I've never cared for "southern hospitality", it's all really fake to me. Give me northeastern grit and attitude any day of the week. Sure they might not be nice but you always know where you stand with them and once you are their friend you are no longer friends, you're family. My two best friends are from Pennsylvania and New York respectively, we would literally do anything for each other. Outside of family there is no one in Kentucky that I can say the same thing about.

And don't worry, I try my best to reveal the truth behind the whole "Kentuckians are nice" ruse. I tell people how it really is when they mention Kentucky. Sorry but very few people have the ability to be more nasty or vile than Kentuckians can be.

I'm not really sure now how good a U of L fan this guy was. Sounds like Florida is the perfect place for him.

See ya, and don't leave a forwarding address...

Reactions: CGblue
I'm not really sure now how good a U of L fan this guy was. Sounds like Florida is the perfect place for him.

See ya, and don't leave a forwarding address...

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be mean with the last post, but it's true. I hate when people buy into the "Kentuckians are so nice" narrative. Yeah they are so nice until they see you are wearing a UofL hat or say you like UofL, then they change real quick. That means they were never nice to begin with, they were fake.

Okay I'm sorry but I couldn't let this comment stand, I have to respond to this. I'm sorry but are you kidding me? Sure the cost of living is low, very few people who didn't grow up in Kentucky want to live in Kentucky. And KY people are friendly? Are you kidding me? Kentucky people are some of the nastiest people I've ever come in contact with. Sure they are the fake southern friendly, they are friendly to your face and then will immediately talk behind your back. I talked to people who moved to Kentucky who said people were friendly but also commented that they were always held at arms length. Kentucky people are socially friendly but you were never truly be their friend if you didn't grow up with them or go to the same high school as them.

And let me ask you someone, are you a white male? Sure they are friendly to you. Let me bring a few black people and hispanic people up from Florida and lets see how friendly they are with them. Or heck, let me really challenge Kentucky people and bring, gasp, a multi-racial couple up to Kentucky. Lets see how nice they are then.

I can't tell you how many times I would talk to a person from Kentucky and they were nice until I mentioned I was a UofL fan. A lot of them wouldn't even talk to me after that, others would get nasty, very few of them stayed nice. Heck I even had a few that refused service to me when I was traveling in the state just because I had a UofL hat on.

So sorry if I'm laughing hysterically at the false narrative that Kentucky people are friendly. Kentucky people are some of the most fake people I've ever met. Sure they are friendly, as long as you are white, conservative, Christian and a UK fan. You are incredibly naive.

Sorry but I've never cared for "southern hospitality", it's all really fake to me. Give me northeastern grit and attitude any day of the week. Sure they might not be nice but you always know where you stand with them and once you are their friend you are no longer friends, you're family. My two best friends are from Pennsylvania and New York respectively, we would literally do anything for each other. Outside of family there is no one in Kentucky that I can say the same thing about.
OMG LMAO at the northeastern grit and attitude. I've got family there filled with Ivy and Quasi- Ivy educations. The just couch their racism in more genteel terms. They find it interesting that I grew up with blacks, worked with both blacks and Hispanics, have both in my family and now teach a lot of Somalis. You should have seen they eyebrows go up on that one! To them, they are domestic help, landscapers and cabdrivers like not to be included in their social circle.

If you look at my post history you'll see I'm not some fly by night poster. I've been posting on this site since 2009.

Let me ask you something, what are you all going to do when Postel is given the president position permanently (it's going to happen as Bevin and the board know they can control him, you all need to accept that now) and he completely de-emphasizes athletics?

Actually...in looking at your post history, you have 167 posts on THIS site, dating back to Feb. 22, 2015. Where you were posting for the 6 years prior to that is anybdy's guess.

OMG LMAO at the northeastern grit and attitude. I've got family there filled with Ivy and Quasi- Ivy educations. The just couch their racism in more genteel terms. They find it interesting that I grew up with blacks, worked with both blacks and Hispanics, have both in my family and now teach a lot of Somalis. You should have seen they eyebrows go up on that one! To them, they are domestic help, landscapers and cabdrivers like not to be included in their social circle.

Nice job trying to change the topic there a little bit. I said I enjoy northeastern grit and attitude, that's very different than people with Ivy league educations. Ivy leaguers look at everyone as below them, as the help. Both of my friends are middle class, one went to community college and the other went to a local SUNY university. So totally different than someone who went to the Ivy League.

The fact is you are so wrong about Kentuckians. Sure they are nice, if you look just like them and worship UK. Do I need to tell you more stories about how some of those "nice" Kentuckians have treated me just because I had a UofL shirt on or they happened to see the UofL tag on my car? Kentuckians are a lot of things, but nice is not one of them.

Actually...in looking at your post history, you have 167 posts on THIS site, dating back to Feb. 22, 2015. Where you were posting for the 6 years prior to that is anybdy's guess.

I'm assuming mostly on this site. Sure I posted a few times on the UK rivals board before quickly getting banned there, like most of us, because I wasn't worshiping UK, lol.

So this year has been a difficult year for me. My family (and even me personally) have suffered medical issues, my dog that I've had since I still lived in Louisville passed away and UofL has continued to cause me heartache.

With all that said, I could still continue to be a fan of Louisville, but it is with mixed emotions that I have decided to use 2018 as a fresh start. As some of you know my family is from Louisville and all of them live in Louisville. With that said, I was born in Florida and spent the first 15 years of my life in Florida. My dad worked down there and we moved back to Louisville to take care of my sick grandparents on my mother's side (both died within 5 years of returning). I finished my last 3 years of high school at St. X and then went on to attend and graduate from UofL. While the rest of my family was glad to finally be back in Louisville I decided to move back to Florida after graduating from UofL 7 years ago. While growing up I did cheer for UofL but I also cheered for UF as well, since all my friends were UF fans.

You could say that I was probably the least happy UofL fan in 2012 when UofL beat UF in the Sugar Bowl. I was ecstatic for UofL to win but also sad to see UF lose. As I attended UofL and my family attended UofL has always been my primary team with UF being my secondary team.

As we have started the basketball season though my heart just isn't in it anymore for UofL. Too tired of having to defend UofL, too tired of the unknown in terms of the scandals. Really tired of knowing the sad truth, that the state of Kentucky is going to bring UofL down just because they can't stand UofL upstaging UK. This corrupt interim president and the board of directors isn't going to allow UofL to succeed. One by one they will let all of our good coaches get poached by other schools and UofL will go back to the way we were before Tom Jurich. It wouldn't shock me if they don't try to use this to let UK take over UofL like they tried to back when UofL first became a public state university. It will be sad to see.

In a way I'm glad I got to travel though Kentucky back in July while visiting family. I flew into Nashville, spent 2 days there and then while driving up to Louisville spent two days and stopped at the Corvette Museum, Mammouth Cave and the Bourbon Trail. At this point I will never visit the state of Kentucky again outside of visiting family in Louisville. As far as I'm concerned the entire state of Kentucky outside of Louisville can burn. Bunch of in bred, racist, bigots afraid of anything or anyone that isn't exactly like them. I'm sorry that those of you in Louisville have to share a state with them.

Come January 1st I will primarily be a Florida Gator. I will be done with the University of Louisville. I have already called UofL to have them take me off any e-mail or mail communication. Sure I will follow them occasionally and hope they do well, but Florida will be my primary school now. I probably wouldn't do this if I hadn't partially grown up as a Florida fan. Trust me when I say it's not easy and it will not be easy telling my family.Have any of you all had that hard discussion as well? Have any of you all started to seriously question whether you will follow UofL sports long term?

I want you all to know that is has truly been a pleasure. I'm just sad that it is now ending.
Good lord

Nice job trying to change the topic there a little bit. I said I enjoy northeastern grit and attitude, that's very different than people with Ivy league educations. Ivy leaguers look at everyone as below them, as the help. Both of my friends are middle class, one went to community college and the other went to a local SUNY university. So totally different than someone who went to the Ivy League.

The fact is you are so wrong about Kentuckians. Sure they are nice, if you look just like them and worship UK. Do I need to tell you more stories about how some of those "nice" Kentuckians have treated me just because I had a UofL shirt on or they happened to see the UofL tag on my car? Kentuckians are a lot of things, but nice is not one of them.
I've worn UofL gear everywhere in the state for years. Just look'em straight in the eye and smile. They get over it.

Reactions: CardsFirst
Exactly, eventually one way or another UK fans are going to get their wish. They are so concerned over a game they are too stupid to realize that the downfall of UofL will cause a major economic impact in the city of Louisville.

And here's the thing, if the city of Louisville gets hurt, the state of Kentucky gets hurt. Who do people out in the state are paying for those nice new roads to nowhere and the free giveaway programs? It's the city of Louisville, without the city of Louisville this state is bankrupt and in the same level as West Virginia and Mississippi, maybe even worse. There is no other state in the U.S. that hates it main city and economic engine like the state of Kentucky hates the city of Louisville.

But UK fans don't care, because UK fans (and by in large most people in Kentucky) are racist bigoted rednecks who could care less if they don't even have shoes to wear as long as UK is the #1 team in the state.
You don't know anything about the state of Kentucky. You don't even live here and I'm glad you left. You're a drama queen standing on your elitist soapbox. Your stereotypical drivel and prejudice ideology makes you no better than a racist or a sexist. Are we supposed to feel sorry for you or something?

Reactions: CGblue
You don't know anything about the state of Kentucky. You don't even live here and I'm glad you left. You're a drama queen standing on your elitist soapbox. Your stereotypical drivel and prejudice ideology makes you no better than a racist or a sexist. Are we supposed to feel sorry for you or something?

Wow never thought I'd see a UofL fan stand up for the state of Kentucky. Should I remind you what they used to call the UofL basketball team back in the 80s? I can't tell you how many times I've heard UK fans use the n word, sometimes even at their own players. And yeah, I am better than a racist or a sexist, I'm not a racist or a sexist like so many people in Kentucky are. If it was up to most UK fans blacks would probably still have to use separate restrooms and go to separate schools. Yes I am better than that and because of that I am better than most Kentuckians. There are universal rights and universal wrongs and I can't help that most Kentuckians are still on the wrong side of history.

I've worn UofL gear everywhere in the state for years. Just look'em straight in the eye and smile. They get over it.

I give you credit, not sure how you did it. I literally had a fast food worker refuse to serve me because I was wearing a UofL hate and a gas station attendant threaten me and tell me "your type aren't welcome here" and he was specifically referring to the fact that I was a UofL fan. I can even tell you specifically where it happens.

Make no doubt about it, most UK fans cheer on their black basketball players but I guarantee you would not let those same black players date their daughter. Have to keep them strictly on that basketball plantation in Lexington.

Are you trying to speak for all of us or just the slapd!cks hanging out?...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT