ADVERTISEMENT

My Coaches wish list

If that is our list of probable coaches that is sad, we have really fallen.
That would be the case for any major program that’s in bad shape.Oates Musselman the dude at USC none of those guys are coming here. I heard Jay Wright mentioned that’s laughable I don’t even think Willard would leave Seton Hall.

Wrong, Vince loves Louisville . He went to UK because Louisville didn’t have a Baseball team then I think. If anyone should be Questioned it should be Matt Bevin but the current Governor is fixing that.
UofL had a baseball team then - had several buddies / teammates that played for UofL when Tyra was at uk.

Yeah I can’t hear foolishness anymore. They need to hire Kenny so we can win and shut up Jerry and Butch which is a bad situation. And people need to leave Satterfield alone and give him about 2 or 3 years, a man who is building a house here is planning on winning. Then I can get some rest.
Satterfield moved because he didn’t like being in the same neighborhood as Tyra and Mack. And, building a house isn’t really indicative of anything - not in this market.

That would be the case for any major program that’s in bad shape.Oates Musselman the dude at USC none of those guys are coming here. I heard Jay Wright mentioned that’s laughable I don’t even think Willard would leave Seton Hall.
Willard is waaay down on my list but make no mistake - he’d ditch seton hall in a nanosecond for the UofL job.

If that is our list of probable coaches that is sad, we have really fallen.
Excellent point that I hope others have made note of. OR it's a reality check that you don't generally end up with anyone close to what you were aspiring to. Either explanation is a gut check...

Watching Virginia play ball is painful to watch.
Heard that same thing the year before he won the national championship.

UVA's average in points and points allowed in 2019: 71.4 vs 56.1
U of L's average in points and points allowed in 2013: 74.5 vs 58.8

Nothing to see here...

Excellent point that I hope others have made note of. OR it's a reality check that you don't generally end up with anyone close to what you were aspiring to. Either explanation is a gut check...
Most people think their team garners more attention than they actually do. They hired Petino because he was between gigs. Now you could probably still lure him from Iona but that would be a PR nightmare . And won’t happen anyway.

Nothing to see here...
I’m not saying he can’t coach it’s just not that entertaining to watch he’s not coming here anyway.

Willard is waaay down on my list but make no mistake - he’d ditch seton hall in a nanosecond for the UofL job.
I wouldn’t consider Seton Hall a major BB program I have no idea how successful he’s been lately but if it’s mediocre yeah they could probably lure him with money. But yeah I will pass on him as well.

Satterfield moved because he didn’t like being in the same neighborhood as Tyra and Mack. And, building a house isn’t really indicative of anything - not in this market.
Yeah building a house when your a multi millionaire is just a distraction. I have no clue why he wanted to move. He strikes me as a few acres and I can’t see my neighbors type of guy and not a subdivision guy lol

Yeah building a house when your a multi millionaire is just a distraction. I have no clue why he wanted to move. He strikes me as a few acres and I can’t see my neighbors type of guy and not a subdivision guy lol
Seriously - Satterfield moved because he didn’t like being in the same neighborhood as Tyra and Mack.

Ironically, if he doesn’t win eight games next year - he’ll be right back in the same “neighborhood”.

Reactions: pkhiggins
Seriously - Satterfield moved because he didn’t like being in the same neighborhood as Tyra and Mack.

Ironically, if he doesn’t win eight games next year - he’ll be right back in the same “neighborhood”.
Do they live in the same Prospect Neighborhood as Petino did?

Maybe it was UK offered him a scholarship and UL didn’t? Not Sure.
UofL wasn’t much if a program at that point - really until Prada came. If he was considering both - Tyra made the right decision to go to uk at that time.

Scott Drew
Billy Donavon
Any assistant coach currently on Dukes staff that has been under coach K for at least 2 years.

Go ahead, bash away.
Not bashing necessarily but, why do you think that k’s assistants are worthy?

Did a little digging. There have been 12 coaches who became HCs after assisting k - either at duke or army. They are a combined 2,367-2,028 (.539) overall. They have combined for 147 seasons as head coaches, but only 32 NCAA Tournament appearances to show for it. Furthermore, their average wins per tournament is 0.88 and no former k assistant has reached the Final Four.

Hardly the stuff of legends.

1. Donovan
2. Pitino
3. Payne

That said, I think we all realize that 1 & 2 ain’t happening.

Reactions: luv2hit63
Thanks for researching. Yea by those stats probably not a reasonable idea. Crum was an assistant under Wooden. K under Bob Knight. Just thought someone under K would know the recruiting angels, in addition after watching Duke dismantle UNC at Chapel Hill, anyone being around K for an extended period of time would have to understand the aspects of preparation and defeating your hated rival.

Hiring an assistant would not include an expensive buyout. I was all in in Pearl. But at this point any HC worth considering would just use Louisville as a bargaining chip for a sweeter contract. But lasting, think of the heart burn it would cause in Lexington if successful.

I don’t care who the name is. Hiring an assistant is a bigger crap shoot than hiring someone with head coaching experience. That’s my biggest question with Payne.

And whether we do it anyway, this isn’t a job that has to accept that risk. Which means the current regime is likely already drafting the paperwork…

Thanks for researching. Yea by those stats probably not a reasonable idea. Crum was an assistant under Wooden. K under Bob Knight. Just thought someone under K would know the recruiting angels, in addition after watching Duke dismantle UNC at Chapel Hill, anyone being around K for an extended period of time would have to understand the aspects of preparation and defeating your hated rival.

Hiring an assistant would not include an expensive buyout. I was all in in Pearl. But at this point any HC worth considering would just use Louisville as a bargaining chip for a sweeter contract. But lasting, think of the heart burn it would cause in Lexington if successful.
I mean - k assistants being successful seems like a reasonable assumption - just weird how things turn out - or don’t. Like you, I was all in on Pearl - he wins and would have made things fun again. Him doing the Bama crane after their sweep was hilarious.

I don’t care who the name is. Hiring an assistant is a bigger crap shoot than hiring someone with head coaching experience. That’s my biggest question with Payne.

And whether we do it anyway, this isn’t a job that has to accept that risk. Which means the current regime is likely already drafting the paperw

And whether we do it anyway, this isn’t a job that has to accept that risk. Which means the current regime is likely already drafting the paperwork…
He was Associate Head Coach at UK for years does that count? Basketball is pretty simple I would rather have a elite recruiter and a master at player development over concerns of player rotation and time outs. KP has forgotten more set plays than you can look up on the internet. He has turned down offers to coach other teams in the past. If they don’t hire him prepare for a empty arena. And massive donors leaving.

He was Associate Head Coach at UK for years does that count? Basketball is pretty simple I would rather have a elite recruiter and a master at player development over concerns of player rotation and time outs. KP has forgotten more set plays than you can look up on the internet. He has turned down offers to coach other teams in the past. If they don’t hire him prepare for a empty arena. And massive donors leaving.
I just don’t remember him being a high commodity demand when head coaching jobs became available. Did he apply for the Memphis St job. He had more so call experience than Penny? Georgia? You mean Tom
Crean was their best option? Did he apply for Indiana job? Marquette job? If he couldn’t beat out any of these coaches that we keep throwing out, what makes him right for us?

Hey! Former Louisville Assistant Coach Greg Paulus handed Pitino his first conference loss of the season today. Hofstra over Iona….We have got to give him a serious look!! <sarcasm> 😁

Reactions: zipp

Nothing to see here...
Crunched the #'s, since TB arrived at UVA they have an average 71st rated O in Kenpom.
Same timeframe, UofL is 43rd.

This isn't a massive gap, but it is somewhat significant. There's for sure a different style than what this fanbase is accustomed to seeing. There is a legit question about fit in this regard. Fit covers a lotta things, personality, style of play, lifestyle, etc.

Personally, I'd be fine with them hiring Tony Bennett, his bottom line results are very solid, and there is a real chance he's about to be the top head coach in the ACC for the next decade or more. And I think a lot of fans and the UofL admin should strongly consider this point I just made in this paragraph.

But fans perception matters, especially when it comes to attendance, and that is a topic you have discussed in the past. I have doubts we see an immediate attendance spike if they hire him.

The other question is, not one single twitter UofL insider has dropped his name in the early stages. Just no buzz there. So there could be some obvious reasons we don't know that makes him not on the list, if he's not. He may have absolutely zero interest. Like, none. And I think that's highly possible, he just has absolutely no interest in the job. He is probably very happy where he is. But I could be wrong there fore sure.

We'll see.

Last edited:

Nothing to see here...
Interesting read after Bennett won a title in UVA. He declines a raise and instead requests UVA push that $ into the program and his staff. This guy sounds like a Virginia man for life.

"[My wife] Laurel and I are in a great spot, and in the past, I've had increases in my contract," Bennett said in the news release. "We just feel a great peace about where we're at, all that's taken place, and how we feel about this athletic department and this community and this school. I love being at UVA... I have more than enough, and if there are ways that this can help out the athletic department, the other programs and coaches, by not tying up so much [in men's basketball], that's my desire."

Bennetts and his wife have also pledged $500,000 toward a career-development program that's been launched for current and former UVA men's basketball players."

Reactions: zipp
1. Kenny Payne
2. Tony Bennett
3. Scott Drew
4. Andy Enfield
5. Chris Holtmann
6. Porter Moser
7. Eric Musselman
8. Mick Cronin
9. Steve Forbes
10. Pat Kelsey

No to Davenport, Kelvin Sampson, Kevin Willard.

1. Kenny Payne
2. Tony Bennett
3. Scott Drew
4. Andy Enfield
5. Chris Holtmann
6. Porter Moser
7. Eric Musselman
8. Mick Cronin
9. Steve Forbes
10. Pat Kelsey

No to Davenport, Kelvin Sampson, Kevin Willard.
I’m interested to hear the reasons for not wanting Davenport, Sampson and especially Williard?

I’m interested to hear the reasons for not wanting Davenport, Sampson and especially Williard?

Davenport - I love the guy, but no - unless the plan is to have a solid X & O's guy until the punishment is handed down and served. This sets the program back another decade, my fear.
Sampson - I like him
Willard - 1-4 NCAA record, 58% winning percentage. I get that it's Seton Hall and not Louisville, but not a splash hire Louisville needs.

Sampson will be 67 at the start of the next season. Thats a non-starter for me.

Davenport's name is only being mentioned because he's well liked and local. In reality if Bellarmine wasn't located in Louisville fans would be rioting at the idea of 65 year old essentially D2 coach taking over the program.

Kevin Willard is only being mentioned because of his connection to Pitino. What on earth has he done to warrant the Louisville job? 1 tournament win in 12 seasons at Seton Hall, a losing conference record, double digit losses in 10 of his 12 years, a losing or one win over .500 record in 5 of his 12 seasons....I can't believe his name was mentioned to begin with...I can't believe its still being mentioned....and I can't believe there are people on here who would be ok with that hire.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
Sampson will be 67 at the start of the next season. Thats a non-starter for me.

Davenport's name is only being mentioned because he's well liked and local. In reality if Bellarmine wasn't located in Louisville fans would be rioting at the idea of 65 year old essentially D2 coach taking over the program.

Kevin Willard is only being mentioned because of his connection to Pitino. What on earth has he done to warrant the Louisville job? 1 tournament win in 12 seasons at Seton Hall, a losing conference record, double digit losses in 10 of his 12 years, a losing or one win over .500 record in 5 of his 12 seasons....I can't believe his name was mentioned to begin with...I can't believe its still being mentioned....and I can't believe there are people on here who would be ok with that hire.
Good points.

As you see, we are running into some walls here.

It will be interesting to see if #3 Drew on your list gains any steam after the season is over if the position is not yet filled. Based on the vibe I got from the article I linked in this thread it doesn't feel like your #2 Bennett is really in play but of course that's not known.

Good points.

As you see, we are running into some walls here.

It will be interesting to see if #3 Drew on your list gains any steam after the season is over if the position is not yet filled. Based on the vibe I got from the article I linked in this thread it doesn't feel like your #2 Bennett is really in play but of course that's not known.
Yeah I don't think Bennett is a real possibility. I don't think Drew is either but I figure you have to ask him.

This is what I keep trying to convince the anti-KP crowd. Who can we realistically get? KP provides certain intangibles that literally no other coach does with his off the court advantages here in Louisville. Thats something you have to take into account. Is Mick Cronin or Andy Enfield a more proven coach? Sure...but you won't get the off the court advantage KP brings. How much is that worth? Cronin's got a long resume but aside from a purely fluked run last year his entire resume is 20 years of mediocrity. Is his experience being a mediocre HC worth more than KPs potential? Not to me it isn't.

It just seems that any current coach that is still at the program they won a championship at would be almost impossible to get.

I mean why leave to go elsewhere when you've proven you can win at the very highest level where you are currently at?

Wright is pretty much a God to Nova bball after winning 2 titles there. Same with Bennet and Drew after winning one at their respective schools.

It just seems that any current coach that is still at the program they won a championship at would be almost impossible to get.

I mean why leave to go elsewhere when you've proven you can win at the very highest level where you are currently at?

Wright is pretty much a God to Nova bball after winning 2 titles there. Same with Bennet and Drew after winning one at their respective schools.
Yep. I don't think you pull a natty winning coach. I also don't think you can pull a guy like Musselman either because he's got a ton of recruiting momentum going there and Arkansas has the money to keep him and I'm not sure he's the level of coach you get in a bidding war for anyway.

Yeah I don't think Bennett is a real possibility. I don't think Drew is either but I figure you have to ask him.

This is what I keep trying to convince the anti-KP crowd. Who can we realistically get? KP provides certain intangibles that literally no other coach does with his off the court advantages here in Louisville. Thats something you have to take into account. Is Mick Cronin or Andy Enfield a more proven coach? Sure...but you won't get the off the court advantage KP brings. How much is that worth? Cronin's got a long resume but aside from a purely fluked run last year his entire resume is 20 years of mediocrity. Is his experience being a mediocre HC worth more than KPs potential? Not to me it isn't.
I think we are on a same page.

If guys like Wright, Few, and the NBA boys Billy D and Stevens did not move for Duke, UNC, or IU, you have to assume that Louisville isn't gonna pull them either.

This is not an insult on Card Nation it's just the market right now.

Pearl's immediate adios is another clue if the examples above don't open some eyes. The market is just different than maybe ever before. I think the culture had a standard resume fit and job mobility design/trajectory that no longer applies to this era. Somewhere between before and now the top minds in the game chose the NBA or made their current locations their destination jobs.

The last 4 major job openings were filled by 3 guys with 0 HC experience, and 1 guy with some NBA failed HC experience. Duke, UNC, IU, and AZ have at least set the market to some degree. It's a scary reality if you even look closer you see Michigan and Vandy have done the same. Not going to do all the research for other places I am sure there are a few examples like TX and Marquette hiring guys that had some experience yes for sure.

Bottom line I think with the portal and NIL we are truly beginning a new era and not sure where it takes us.

Reactions: EKYCard643
This is why you go with the executive search route. You find out who’s really on the table instead of the constant, Jay Wright, Mark Few, Billy D, etc. Not knowing what we know now, who would have thought Mack, coaching at his Alma mater wanted to leave his “dream job”? You never know who might want a change.

I read where Sampson is 67 and grooming his son to be his successor. He also has other family members working in the program at Houston. That’s a big negative. After Petrino’s nepotism, that’s the last thing we need.

IU is no longer a basketball school they have been absent since they fired Bob Knight ( kind of sounds like our situation). UNC looks like they have made the mistake of hiring a former player with no Head Coaching experience and Michigan is now questionable. Memphis made the mistake of hiring a former player twice, Larry Finch and Penny Hardaway and both coaches were great players who bought in great recruits. The problem was neither of them had ever been a Head Coach on the college level so they flopped. I think the hiring of a search firm is smart because they will have anybody who is interested making a phone call. There will be a whole lot more people interested than what our so called fans think.

Some coaches who are at a school where they have had great success move on because they have problems with the school President or the AD. Some coaches leave because they just want a change of scenery and a fresh start. Some coaches leave because of their fan base ( Jimbo Fisher). Coaches leave the NBA because they have plenty of money and they don’t like the rigors of the NBA schedule and they can still make a lot of money coaching college and spend more time with their families. Some coaches leave because they want to move to a nicer location that has more to do ( Rick Pitino).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT