ADVERTISEMENT

My Coaches wish list

KerryRhodes

15000+
Dec 15, 2007
I stopped posting but kept reading. Just was post fatigued. The garbage football and basketball the past few years didnt help.

1 Shaka Smart who i wanted instead of Mack.
2. Nate Oats.
3 Sweaty Bruce Pearl
4 Musselman (sp)

HELL NO TO kenny "THE TRAITOR" payne.

You might as well keep Mack.

Go Cards. Its been very rough.

Reactions: CardMonarch
Any decision to terminate a Head Coach of a P5 Men’s BB or FB team should first begin with a reasonably high probability of knowing who will ultimately be the permanent replacement. The likely interim position will be easy to assign, but even that more simple selection provides no assurance of resolving or improving the existing malaise.

The last time UL’s BoT stepped in to address the situation with the MBB Program, they did so without any real strategy on what the long term consequences might look like. My fear is the decision to terminate Mack now, particularly in mid season prior to hearing what penalties are forthcoming from the NCAA, will severely limit the number of qualified candidates willing to even consider the opportunity.

This University’s recent track record on replacing coaches (Pitino, Petrino)), hiring executives (Bendapudi, Tyra) or investing wisely in legal actions against former employees (Ramsey) has been both expensive, and failed to accomplish a successful outcome. Yes, I suspect there is a strong likelihood that UL will reach out to some very expensive law firm to suck more money out of the school in an effort to either defend, or sue someone over this premature decision.

I have very little confidence this is going to turn out well for the future of UL.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
I stopped posting but kept reading. Just was post fatigued. The garbage football and basketball the past few years didnt help.

2. Nate Oats.
3 Sweaty Bruce Pearl
4 Musselman (sp)

For the most part a solid list, albeit very short. I can’t agree with you on Smart. I think he’s a good coach but we need more than “good” right now. And I’m with you on Payne, hell no to KP.

Any decision to terminate a Head Coach of a P5 Men’s BB or FB team should first begin with a reasonably high probability of knowing who will ultimately be the permanent replacement. The likely interim position will be easy to assign, but even that more simple selection provides no assurance of resolving or improving the existing malaise.

The last time UL’s BoT stepped in to address the situation with the MBB Program, they did so without any real strategy on what the long term consequences might look like. My fear is the decision to terminate Mack now, particularly in mid season prior to hearing what penalties are forthcoming from the NCAA, will severely limit the number of qualified candidates willing to even consider the opportunity.

This University’s recent track record on replacing coaches (Pitino, Petrino)), hiring executives (Bendapudi, Tyra) or investing wisely in legal actions against former employees (Ramsey) has been both expensive, and failed to accomplish a successful outcome. Yes, I suspect there is a strong likelihood that UL will reach out to some very expensive law firm to suck more money out of the school in an effort to either defend, or sue someone over this premature decision.

I have very little confidence this is going to turn out well for the future of UL.
Many reports are saying Mack’s rep initiated the talks to bail. He saw the huge amounts of empty seats, he heard the boos, he reads the press, Twitter posts, emails, etc. He realizes what his family is subjected to while attending the games. It was getting brutal, he knew it, and decided enough was enough.

IMO Mack is very insecure for a guy that has risen so high in his profession. I’ve been told by someone that knows him that he reads everything and is hooked into social media more than he should be. Hell, all you have to do is watch our timeouts and it’s very easy to detect that he has limited confidence in himself. He relies too much on assistant coach input, more than any head coach I’ve ever witnessed.

Reactions: nccardfan
He
No to S. Smart.

Will Wade or Bruce P. Probably Bruce would be first choice.
Hell no to Will Wade. No “Strong Ass Offer” for him, lol. Plus the dude acts like an idiot on the sideline.

I’d take BP and his baggage in a heartbeat. I promise you this, people can cry about his past all they want but he’d jump start and unite the fanbase. And his first game? There wouldn’t be an empty seat in The Yum, and deep down even his detractors know that’s a fact.

We screw this up and hire a KP for instance? There will still be 12,000 empty seats with that hire as well as many of the other names being mentioned.

Wish we would have snagged Brad Underwood before he went to Illinois instead of Mack but that ship has sailed.

Gonna be funny all these I dont want Payne crowd. When we are having a pro day for draftable NBA players . Going to be a whole bunch of bragging on the program. Payne going to bring in talent we always wanted jaws are going to be dripoed because we are not used to having it. Nolan Smith as an assist MILT OOH Wee

No to KP and yes our interim coach is going to be the guy who implemented our new failed system.

Gonna be funny all these I dont want Payne crowd. When we are having a pro day for draftable NBA players . Going to be a whole bunch of bragging on the program. Payne going to bring in talent we always wanted jaws are going to be dripoed because we are not used to having it. Nolan Smith as an assist MILT OOH Wee
Where’s Milt currently coaching? He has no resume either. Unbelievable.

• Haha
Reactions: REDFISTFURY3
My fear of Kenny Payne is that he would be similar to Juwan Howard or Penny Hardway. Guys that can recruit very well but falter when it comes to X’s and O’s part of the game. Which we have seen time and time again be costly in March. We have no way of knowing how KP actually coaches the game because he has never done it, so we would be taking a big gamble there.

If it is KP, I will be his biggest fan…however I hope we set our sights a little higher.

Reactions: vivid_red
Redfistfury3, in regards to some people showing their true colors, aren’t you the pot calling the kettle black?

Reactions: genowe
Cant wait till Payne gets this job . People showing their their true colors just saying
I’ll just speak for myself. The other Kenny Payne detractors are on their own.

I have been very vocal in my opposition to Payne on this board, therefore I can only assume I’m one of the “people” you are referring to in your attached post. I say no to Payne based on the fact that I want a proven head coach. You come back with a subtle insinuation that my stance on the hire is racism? Unbelievable.

You don’t know me and I’ve never made any comment that is racist on this board. For the record, I commented the same about David Padgett being considered the last time as well when the job was open. He had no resume either.

You also basically said the same thing about my post recently listing my 11 coaches to replace Mack. Try finding a different drum to beat on this subject, this current angle you’re taking is lacking any credibility whatsoever.

Honest question: Would Paynes connections etc. be able to get all that talent to an Adidas school like UofL? Since the Cards aren't Nike Would that hamper him getting top talent here?

Nope it's who he is connected with. Unlike like Rick he had the name but he was in bed with Adidas and just did not have the right connections within the AAU circuit. And once he realized he needed better players he was late in the game and desperate picking the wrong connections to get him in on guys. You guys are going to see what Payne can do!

• Haha
Reactions: BPGhost
I’ll just speak for myself. The other Kenny Payne detractors are on their own.

I have been very vocal in my opposition to Payne on this board, therefore I can only assume I’m one of the “people” you are referring to in your attached post. I say no to Payne based on the fact that I want a proven head coach. You come back with a subtle insinuation that my stance on the hire is racism? Unbelievable.

You don’t know me and I’ve never made any comment that is racist on this board. For the record, I commented the same about David Padgett being considered the last time as well when the job was open. He had no resume either.

You also basically said the same thing about my post recently listing my 11 coaches to replace Mack. Try finding a different drum to beat on this subject, this current angle you’re taking is lacking any credibility whatsoever.
Seth Greenberg says otherwise . Amazing UK fans are biting their nails Payne doesn't take this job . Issel ,Pratt their luminaries even stated they don't want Payne here. Because they are very confident in what he can do. Their fanbase has stated and that's saying alot form a certain group of them they would want him if Cal left now. But he is not good enough for U of L be careful what you guys wish for.

• Haha
Seth Greenberg says otherwise . Amazing UK fans are biting their nails Payne doesn't take this job . Issel ,Pratt their luminaries even stated they don't want Payne here. Because they are very confident in what he can do. Their fanbase has stated and that's saying alot form a certain group of them they would want him if Cal left now. But he is not good enough for U of L be careful what you guys wish for.
And yet - there’s zero chance that uk would hire him were sweaty cal to leave. UofL is still a top 10 job - it’s amazing to me that you think so little of the program as to believe a guy with ZERO head coaching experience should be considered.

They’re biting their nails that we’ll land Pearl. Get real.

Reactions: BPGhost and genowe
I have pretty good guess
You answer no questions. Where does milt currently work? I don’t think he’s coached for years. He hasn’t earned his stripes to be an assistant here. You’re delusional. And if KP were to get the job he can not afford to hire guys like Milt that are not even in the game currently and haven’t been for years.

Getting talent is important. No one denies that. But talent alone won't be enough. Does the next coach also have solid Xs and Os? Can he make adjustments and adapt? Does he play an exciting brand of ball that UofL fans will enjoy? All important questions.

And yet - there’s zero chance that uk would hire him were sweaty cal to leave. UofL is still a top 10 job - it’s amazing to me that you think so little of the program as to believe a guy with ZERO head coaching experience should be considered.
Payne being the first AA coach at this school means alot more to me than it will ever resonate with some of you. I've served this country and community being retired military and law enforcement. Protecting the very same indivuals that don't want a person like me in charge dealt with in the military and LE personally. Payne going to be the coach so you might as get use to it

• Haha

2. Nate Oats.
3 Sweaty Bruce Pearl
4 Musselman (sp)

nice to see you hope you have been well

Reactions: KerryRhodes
Payne being the first AA coach at this school means alot more to me than it will ever resonate with some of you. I've served this country and community being retired military and law enforcement. Protecting the very same indivuals that don't want a person like me in charge dealt with in the military and LE personally. Payne going to be the coach so you might as get use to it
Sure he is - just like Brohm was a done deal a couple of years ago. I understand your sentiments - I just don’t agree with them. I voted for Obama twice - and would gladly do so again if given the opportunity. I did so both times because he was the best candidate - which is the best reason why someone should get a job. That said, as a WA I was still proud that America had progressed at least to the point where an AA had been elected POTUS not once - but twice.

If Payne had the experience that would make him the best candidate - or hell even close to the best candidate - I’d be all for him.

He doesn’t.

Last edited:
Reactions: KozmasAgain
Many reports are saying Mack’s rep initiated the talks to bail. He saw the huge amounts of empty seats, he heard the boos, he reads the press, Twitter posts, emails, etc. He realizes what his family is subjected to while attending the games. It was getting brutal, he knew it, and decided enough was enough.
Exactly LOL.... the dude didn't get fired. He negotiated his resignation. He may have been fired once a full-time AD was in place. Maybe, just maybe the BOT would have done something this summer if the team lost the rest of the games.

My guess is right now nobody has a friggin' clue who is going to be the next HC.

There is a lot of push for Payne.

I just hope the Cards "brass" take their time on this decision.

@zipp who you got?

Reactions: zipp
If Kenny gets this job I will root my ass off for him. That goes for anybody else. And I will be rooting my ass off for Peagues Saturday.

This past offseason the 3 biggest jobs - UNC, Duke (I know K is coaching this year) and Arizona - all went to guys who had no head coaching experience. Arizona has been a home run so far, UNC has been ground ball and Duke is TBD.

Reactions: earsky
I will root for whoever we hire but I want the best candidate not somebody because of their skin color. It’s funny people on here telling people they have issues for not wanting a black coach are the same ones not wanting a white coach. Louisville’s history has been very non racial in regards to hiring and recruiting in the 60’s and beyond. I don’t want Kenny Payne because he has no head coaching experience and he sat his ass on the blew bench too long.
I no longer see Kenny Payne, Butch Beard or Jerry Eaves as part of Louisville’s past. I see them as whiners and race baiters. Hire a black coach who is currently coaching in the college ranks today. Go after Leonard Hamilton he is the only black coach that currently looks like he can be successful at this level.
It will be interesting to see how Peagues does and how the fan base will react. Correct me if I am wrong but while he was coach we beat Mississippi State, Maryland, Navy and Detroit and lost to Southern and Furman.

This past offseason the 3 biggest jobs - UNC, Duke (I know K is coaching this year) and Arizona - all went to guys who had no head coaching experience. Arizona has been a home run so far, UNC has been ground ball and Duke is TBD.
Duke has a loaded recruiting class lined up next year.

FWIW from what I hear their fans are pumped about Scheyer. The UNC fans really didn't seem onboard with Hubert.

It's a new era. With transfer portal, objective of getting to the NBA being in your face, and now NIL.... a HC role might require different attributes than it did just a few years ago.

All of them were assistant coaches on their bench and right now UNC is starting to question their decision. I don’t know anything about Arizona but the Duke decision looks solid but who knows.

All of them were assistant coaches on their bench and right now UNC is starting to question their decision. I don’t know anything about Arizona but the Duke decision looks solid but who knows.
Arizona is one of the top teams in the country right now. They feel pretty good about the decision. That coach had worked his entire career at Gonzaga.

Things to think about. Payne is a Nike guy, has Nike connections. UoflL is not, obviously, a Nike school. It’s silly stuff, but it matters. Scotty D., what exactly are his recruiting ties to elite talent? There aren’t any. More random deep thoughts to follow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT