ADVERTISEMENT

My Coaches wish list

. “I voted for Obama twice - and would gladly do so again if given the opportunity“ BPGhost
Isnt that the same thing that the dad said in “get out”😂😂🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: cardsfan53
If I’m betting, I’m going with Vegas odds on KP. You don’t wanna know who my first choice would be…
Cmon bro don't give out popcorn without the butter.

We are all fam here. It is time for Cards fans to UNITE.

Who you got? I am cool with any hire I really am. In some ways, I'm interested in as controversial as it can get. People are taking it all so seriously and everybody knows the answers.

I do not see any great candidates this is a sh!t era of coaches. These guys are just hired guns making friends and enemies.

Are you saying that guy was insincere?
“that guy” in the movie 😂? Or is that a typo asking if I think you were insincere? in regards to your comment no I just immediately thought of that movie !!
i didn’t vote for him, but that’s a political rabbit hole that isn’t
meant for this site!!!

Cmon bro don't give out popcorn without the butter.

We are all fam here. It is time for Cards fans to UNITE.

Who you got? I am cool with any hire I really am. In some ways, I'm interested in as controversial as it can get. People are taking it all so seriously and everybody knows the answers.

I do not see any great candidates this is a sh!t era of coaches. These guys are just hired guns making friends and enemies.
Times change. But my three guys when Mack was hired were, in order, Jay Wright, Billy Donovan, and Tony Bennett. The first two had won national championships, but the connections to Jurich and Pitino were going to eliminate them in my estimation. This was before Petrino's buyout, but we were facing the prospect of big buyouts for the two guys I just mentioned. We did have $55 million in cash to fall back on.

The issue people had and still have with Bennett was style of play. That's not an issue for me. Mack was slower anyway. Bennett's won a NC since 2018 and is likely gonna cost more to get his attention now. According to Rivals, he consistently signs 4-star kids which is as good as we're used to recruiting.

Hiring any of these coaches is a pig in a poke. I'm amused by people who so readily wanna hire a guy who might not be able to coach a lick like Kenny Payne. And we want to commit ourselves to spend millions on a wildcard when we have almost no money now.

So I go with the safest hire which is Bennett. He can beat the best teams with less talent than his opponent. And he will IMO appeal to the broadest swath of our fanbase, young and old, rich and poor. Many of these coaching prospects discussed in this space are "who?" for a lot of our fans. And too many of those same fans mistrust the abilities and intentions of U of L people making decisions. We need to bring in people who are known and respected...

Bennett is a winner. The question is can he still run his system in the new transfer world. It think system coaches are really going to struggle because of roster churn.

I worry more about getting someone that can handle the entire job. That is the real challenge. It is like coaching at Texas or Alabama in football. It more than X’s and O’s.

Reactions: cardsfan53 and zipp
Times change. But my three guys when Mack was hired were, in order, Jay Wright, Billy Donovan, and Tony Bennett. The first two had won national championships, but the connections to Jurich and Pitino were going to eliminate them in my estimation. This was before Petrino's buyout, but we were facing the prospect of big buyouts for the two guys I just mentioned. We did have $55 million in cash to fall back on.

The issue people had and still have with Bennett was style of play. That's not an issue for me. Mack was slower anyway. Bennett's won a NC since 2018 and is likely gonna cost more to get his attention now. According to Rivals, he consistently signs 4-star kids which is as good as we're used to recruiting.

Hiring any of these coaches is a pig in a poke. I'm amused by people who so readily wanna hire a guy who might not be able to coach a lick like Kenny Payne. And we want to commit ourselves to spend millions on a wildcard when we have almost no money now.

So I go with the safest hire which is Bennett. He can beat the best teams with less talent than his opponent. And he will IMO appeal to the broadest swath of our fanbase, young and old, rich and poor. Many of these coaching prospects discussed in this space are "who?" for a lot of our fans. And too many of those same fans mistrust the abilities and intentions of U of L people making decisions. We need to bring in people who are known and respected...
He would be a great hire! I just don’t see Bennett leaving Virginia! Why would he? He set the bar for Virginia basketball by winning the NC, his system and players recruited for his system are in place, his salary is nearly what UofL would offer and would be matched by Virginia!

In no particular order and who IMO would leave their current HC jobs
k.Willard, k.Payne, w.miller, s.Davenport, w.unseld jr, c.holtmann,b.pearl(lots of baggage especially for Uof)

Bennett is a winner. The question is can he still run his system in the new transfer world. It think system coaches are really going to struggle because of roster churn.

I worry more about getting someone that can handle the entire job. That is the real challenge. It is like coaching at Texas or Alabama in football. It more than X’s and O’s.
I was listening to Jeff Walz talk about the transfer portal and the effect it's having. In his view, it largely benefits the haves at the expense of the have nots. And the latter is mainly schools outside the P5.

If Bennett is any good at evaluating talent in the portal, I don't know why he would be disadvantaged here. At least not anymore than Mack was or Satterfield is...

He would be a great hire! I just don’t see Bennett leaving Virginia! Why would he? He set the bar for Virginia basketball by winning the NC, his system and players recruited for his system are in place, his salary is nearly what UofL would offer and would be matched by Virginia!
The only reason I think he might consider it is his program is down a little, he may be hearing some negative stuff or feeling a little taken for granted. Here he would be a white knight riding in. Other than that, you're probably right.

I doubt in our current situation we can probably pay him much more money. We should have made a serious run at him in 2017-18...

Reactions: bigloucards
The only reason I think he might consider it is his program is down a little, he may be hearing some negative stuff or feeling a little taken for granted. Here he would be a white knight riding in. Other than that, you're probably right.

I doubt in our current situation we can probably pay him much more money. We should have made a serious run at him in 2017-18...

I know it won't happen, but I'd be completely fine with Rick coming back. Again, I know it won't happen. There are articles out there about Ohio State football players making $2.98 million from NIL deals. It's the wild west out there. SO, I no longer give a damn anymore about ~$5.5k for ugly nasty skanky stank trick-ass ho's or supposed $100k (did anyone actually get $100k?) for a some dude's dad when that dude never played a second for Louisville (or anyone else as far as I know).

Reactions: zipp
Gonna be funny all these I dont want Payne crowd. When we are having a pro day for draftable NBA players . Going to be a whole bunch of bragging on the program. Payne going to bring in talent we always wanted jaws are going to be dripoed because we are not used to having it. Nolan Smith as an assist MILT OOH Wee
I don’t listen to this. He would be first phone call for sure.

I stopped posting but kept reading. Just was post fatigued. The garbage football and basketball the past few years didnt help.

1 Shaka Smart who i wanted instead of Mack.
2. Nate Oats.
3 Sweaty Bruce Pearl
4 Musselman (sp)

HELL NO TO kenny "THE TRAITOR" payne.

You might as well keep Mack.

Go Cards. Its been very rough.
Pearl used him to Louisville chatter to garner a raise and extension and the other two will do the same.

This past offseason the 3 biggest jobs - UNC, Duke (I know K is coaching this year) and Arizona - all went to guys who had no head coaching experience. Arizona has been a home run so far, UNC has been ground ball and Duke is TBD.

Roy was 32-30 his final two years at UNC, Davis is 16-6 right now so they have upgraded from the previous 2 years. Will have to improve or UNC will Chirs Mack him.

Arizona not sure I would call it a ¨homerun¨ they have played against 3 ranked teams and lost 2 of those games. They did beat Michigan. I like him and believe he will do well at Arizona, and it could be a ¨homerun¨

Coach K will leave a very talented roster so the next coach is set up to have success.

I like Payne even without HC experience I believe heś been around long enough. The first thing any coach is going to have to do is update the talent on our roster imo.

Reactions: indaville
Roy was 32-30 his final two years at UNC, Davis is 16-6 right now so they have upgraded from the previous 2 years. Will have to improve or UNC will Chirs Mack him.

Arizona not sure I would call it a ¨homerun¨ they have played against 3 ranked teams and lost 2 of those games. They did beat Michigan. I like him and believe he will do well at Arizona, and it could be a ¨homerun¨

Coach K will leave a very talented roster so the next coach is set up to have success.

I like Payne even without HC experience I believe heś been around long enough. The first thing any coach is going to have to do is update the talent on our roster imo.
I don’t think you can judge anyone’s last 2 years, especially someone of Coach Williams’ resume. Maybe he didn’t want to go out like Denny.

Reactions: cardsfan53
Mike Pegues is more qualified for the job then Kenny Payne and he doesn't 10 years of UK stink on him either.

Reactions: Tenncard
I was listening to Jeff Walz talk about the transfer portal and the effect it's having. In his view, it largely benefits the haves at the expense of the have nots. And the latter is mainly schools outside the P5.

If Bennett is any good at evaluating talent in the portal, I don't know why he would be disadvantaged here. At least not anymore than Mack was or Satterfield is...
My thinking is systems take time to implement. As long as he doesn’t have roster churn he will be fine and could benefit. Roster turnover probably isn’t going to work for him.

I agree with the notion that it is really going to benefit certain programs. UK being one of them. Pick and choose. Very basic offensive concepts. Easy to implement his style.

As we have seen roster management is going to separate teams. A bad roster is not easy to fix.

Reactions: shadow force
Mike Pegues is more qualified for the job then Kenny Payne and he doesn't 10 years of UK stink on him either.
No offense intended but, based on what? His 6 months with 1/2 of the roster? Being the only assistant that didn’t get canned?

Reactions: indaville
I'd say it's KP's to lose. Outside of that, you have a bunch of Tier 1 sEZ coaches that are probably next in line. However, when S. Dakota St goes on a run in March, we will definitely have to give a hard look at Henderson there if money is an issue. He has the Jackrabbits rolling and his offense is high caliber.

You might wanna slow your roll there, bro. You're starting to sound like @KerryRhodes with his "done deal" stuff regarding Jeff Brohm. LOL. If Payne is the guy the fans will get on board and support him.
Naw i'm sticking to it ! Like Maybin stated if Bridgeman and Blue are adamant with a candidate and that said person is not hired. Then this university is being run from Frankfort which could very well be the case. And this school will lose alot of fan support from a big segment of the community and former athletes /alumni.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BPGhost
Were people right or wrong to question Tyra and his UK background?
Tyra was in over his head! His UK background had nothing to do with his ineptitude! You do realize that his father’s number(Charlie Tyra) is retired by UofL and was long before he attended UK!
Rick Pitino gave a lot of great years to UofL and he once referred UK to ”Camelot“!
Howard Schnellenberger played and was a assistant coach at UK!

Last edited:
Reactions: cardsfan53 and zipp
Tyra was in over his head! His UK background had nothing to do with his ineptitude! You do realize that his father’s number(Charlie Tyra) is retired by UofL and was long before he attended UK!
Rick Pitino gave a lot of great years to UofL and he once referred UK to ”Camelot“!
Howard Schnellenberger played and was a assistant coach at UK!
Wash, rinse, repeat..

Were people right or wrong to question Tyra and his UK background?
Wrong, Vince loves Louisville . He went to UK because Louisville didn’t have a Baseball team then I think. If anyone should be Questioned it should be Matt Bevin but the current Governor is fixing that.

Reactions: bigloucards
Lol - everyone’s volume knob is turned to 11.
Yeah I can’t hear foolishness anymore. They need to hire Kenny so we can win and shut up Jerry and Butch which is a bad situation. And people need to leave Satterfield alone and give him about 2 or 3 years, a man who is building a house here is planning on winning. Then I can get some rest.

The Vegas odds are Payne is the favorite followed by Scott Davenport and Willard. I read a article the other day that said there have only been 3 times a coach has left a winning major program to coach another major program that wasn’t Roy Williams to NC and he turned them down the first time Smart to Marquette because he thought TX was going to fire him. So I don’t see any of the SEC coaches people want coming here or the guy from USC. So that leaves us with Assistants or coaches at mid major programs.

The Vegas odds are Payne is the favorite followed by Scott Davenport and Willard. I read a article the other day that said there have only been 3 times a coach has left a winning major program to coach another major program that wasn’t Roy Williams to NC and he turned them down the first time Smart to Marquette because he thought TX was going to fire him. So I don’t see any of the SEC coaches people want coming here or the guy from USC. So that leaves us with Assistants or coaches at mid major programs.
If their is some individuals wielding more more power than Jr,Wade& Blue whom along with some other big donors back KP . This School is in trouble .

As Maybin stated Jr ,and Wade do not throw their weight around not their style . However he has let i be known behind scenes his thoughts. Blue is the strong arm of the group the boastful voice.

• Haha

Watching Virginia play ball is painful to watch.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT