ADVERTISEMENT

MY 2016 Season Outlook/Predictions

MDCardsFan

500+
Sep 21, 2015
Charlotte- W
Syracuse- W
Florida St- It's a very tough one, my head says FSU, my gut says us ONLY because it's @ PJCS and I truly think that 3rd's time the charm, W (in a nail biter type of game)
Marshall- W
Clemson- My head and gut says the same thing, it won't be 3rd's time the charm against Clemson. L
Duke- W
NC State- W
Virginia- W
BC- W to send Towles crying again
Wake Forest- W
Houston- Like Clemson, Houston is a very good team, and sadly we'll be 0-2 against them. L
Kentucky- W

And my Bowl prediction on which Bowl we'll play in going 10-2 record? 1 of the New Year's Day Bowl

What is everybody else's predictions?

Charlotte- W
Syracuse- W
Florida St- It's a very tough one, my head says FSU, my gut says us ONLY because it's @ PJCS and I truly think that 3rd's time the charm, W (in a nail biter type of game)
Marshall- W
Clemson- My head and gut says the same thing, it won't be 3rd's time the charm against Clemson. L
Duke- W
NC State- W
Virginia- W
Wake Forest- W
Houston- Like Clemson, Houston is a very good team, and sadly we'll be 0-2 against them. L
Kentucky- W

And my Bowl prediction on which Bowl we'll play in going 10-2 record? 1 of the New Year's Day Bowl

At the risk of bringing on the wrath of Jay I predict 11-1. I think 9 of the wins will be by double digits. A close win over FSU and 7 point win over NC State. I think Houston is overrated and the Cards will win going away. The Cougars are not sneaking up on teams this season and they lost a lot from last year including their best defensive players.

Marshall lost a bunch as well and I think too many people worry about that game. I know we don't have a good recent history with them so it's time to change that. I'm confident because of Lamar Jackson. He has all the tools and the will to be great. Much like Teddy, he wants to work hard to be great. He's not distracted with the off the field nonsense. I think he will throw for over 3,000 yards and will rush for over 1,000. And along with our stout defense and the emergence of Jaire Alexander on punt returns, the points and wins are going to be a plenty.

I'll know more about this defense after Syracuse.Till then,I can't say.

Heart says 12-0, reality says 10-2, but I say 11-1 with loss to Clemson KENMac
This season comes down to two things in my opinion. The OL is vastly improved and Lamar stays injury free. Last season the offense was shaky due to the OL and the merry go round at QB. And despite this, the Cards were a 34 yard FG away from tying Clemson in the last minute of the game. They were one bad penalty away from being in FG position at the end of the 3 point loss to Houston. They led FSU on the road at the half.

They ran out of time against Auburn and almost erased a 30 point deficit against Pitt. Both of these games were due to Lamar Jackson. Then we saw what he did in the comeback against UK when most people thought he should have started the game anyway. Then there was the month to prepare against Texas A&M and everyone saw what Lamar can do when he had time to digest the offense. Over 200 yards passing and rushing against a very good A&M defense.

2016 is Lamar's team. Unless he gets injured he will be the man. I think it will be night and day the difference in his decision making and accuracy. And he has a zillion receivers to choose from. If the OL just eliminates drive killing penalties and bad snaps, the offense will be much better. If they start to make holes for the RB's then it's lights out for this offense. The OL is huge. This is not a undersized line.

The defense even without Rankins, Young and Burgess should be better. All the returnees will be better and guys like James Hearns, Stacy Thomas and Jaire Alexander could be breakout all ACC stars. Fields, Kelsey, Brown, Harvey Clemons, Wiggins, Washington and Williams are already garnering all ACC talk. We will need for guys like Bailey, Richardson, Dee Smith and the new jucos to perform to have quality depth and when you look at these guys recruiting offers I'm confident they will.

Of course there's some questions mostly at kicking the ball. It remains to be seen if we have a punter who has great hang time and a place kicker who can kick the ball into the endzone and make FG's. I know there's a bunch of guys to choose from. Jaire Alexander is my pick for breakout star in the ACC. He will most likely play in the secondary as a extra defender but will be a deadly punt returner. I predict at least two TD returns and at least one pick 6. He may even get a chance at returning kickoffs.

Then you have Bobby Petrino and his great assistants. I just can see this team getting on a row and looking like one of the best teams in the country. They still may lose close games against FSU and Clemson. Those teams are loaded and sometimes you need a little luck winning those games. Something the Cards just haven't had yet, especially against Clemson the past two seasons. I just see the Cards beating everyone else including Houston, who I think won't even win the AAC. USF Bulls are back in that conference.

Like usual, we'll see. I could be totally wrong. Anything can happen in sports. But as it looks today, this could be the Cards best team since the 2005/06 squad.

At the risk of bringing on the wrath of Jay I predict 11-1. I think 9 of the wins will be by double digits. A close win over FSU and 7 point win over NC State. I think Houston is overrated and the Cards will win going away. The Cougars are not sneaking up on teams this season and they lost a lot from last year including their best defensive players.

Marshall lost a bunch as well and I think too many people worry about that game. I know we don't have a good recent history with them so it's time to change that. I'm confident because of Lamar Jackson. He has all the tools and the will to be great. Much like Teddy, he wants to work hard to be great. He's not distracted with the off the field nonsense. I think he will throw for over 3,000 yards and will rush for over 1,000. And along with our stout defense and the emergence of Jaire Alexander on punt returns, the points and wins are going to be a plenty.

Lol! Here we go.....just can't help yourself, eh homer?

This season comes down to two things in my opinion. The OL is vastly improved and Lamar stays injury free. Last season the offense was shaky due to the OL and the merry go round at QB. And despite this, the Cards were a 34 yard FG away from tying Clemson in the last minute of the game. They were one bad penalty away from being in FG position at the end of the 3 point loss to Houston. They led FSU on the road at the half.

They ran out of time against Auburn and almost erased a 30 point deficit against Pitt. Both of these games were due to Lamar Jackson. Then we saw what he did in the comeback against UK when most people thought he should have started the game anyway. Then there was the month to prepare against Texas A&M and everyone saw what Lamar can do when he had time to digest the offense. Over 200 yards passing and rushing against a very good A&M defense.

2016 is Lamar's team. Unless he gets injured he will be the man. I think it will be night and day the difference in his decision making and accuracy. And he has a zillion receivers to choose from. If the OL just eliminates drive killing penalties and bad snaps, the offense will be much better. If they start to make holes for the RB's then it's lights out for this offense. The OL is huge. This is not a undersized line.

The defense even without Rankins, Young and Burgess should be better. All the returnees will be better and guys like James Hearns, Stacy Thomas and Jaire Alexander could be breakout all ACC stars. Fields, Kelsey, Brown, Harvey Clemons, Wiggins, Washington and Williams are already garnering all ACC talk. We will need for guys like Bailey, Richardson, Dee Smith and the new jucos to perform to have quality depth and when you look at these guys recruiting offers I'm confident they will.

Of course there's some questions mostly at kicking the ball. It remains to be seen if we have a punter who has great hang time and a place kicker who can kick the ball into the endzone and make FG's. I know there's a bunch of guys to choose from. Jaire Alexander is my pick for breakout star in the ACC. He will most likely play in the secondary as a extra defender but will be a deadly punt returner. I predict at least two TD returns and at least one pick 6. He may even get a chance at returning kickoffs.

Then you have Bobby Petrino and his great assistants. I just can see this team getting on a row and looking like one of the best teams in the country. They still may lose close games against FSU and Clemson. Those teams are loaded and sometimes you need a little luck winning those games. Something the Cards just haven't had yet, especially against Clemson the past two seasons. I just see the Cards beating everyone else including Houston, who I think won't even win the AAC. USF Bulls are back in that conference.

Like usual, we'll see. I could be totally wrong. Anything can happen in sports. But as it looks today, this could be the Cards best team since the 2005/06 squad.

A "very good A&M defense." Sure about that Cletus? 51st in total defense is firmly mediocre. Never has someone posted so many words that say so little. Oh and just for kicks I looked up their rush D.....107th. But otherwise yeah a "very good A&M defense." Keep em coming

Can't believe the pundits don't have us #1 after reading that Cracker Jack analysis. Positively silly and I wish homer fanboys would cool their jets on all this goofiness

Can't believe the pundits don't have us #1 after reading that Cracker Jack analysis. Positively silly and I wish homer fanboys would cool their jets on all this goofiness

Jay, what this board needs is more folks contributing their thoughts and analysis. You're not helping when you cut everyone down. Having optimism and enthusiasm isn't a bad thing. Everyone is excited for the start of football. Enjoy it.

Charlotte- W
Syracuse- W
Marshall- W
Duke- W
NC State- W
Virginia- W
Wake Forest- W
Kentucky- W

I actually feel better about our chances of beating Clemson than I do FLST. Dalvin Cook has killed us two years in a row. Our Defense is so focused on pressuring the QB. And Jimbo has been the one coach who has been able to really exploit that. If I'm TG my focus is on Cook. There is a good chance they are going to have a red shirt freshmen QB starting against us. Make him beat us.

Last edited:
Jay, what this board needs is more folks contributing their thoughts and analysis. You're not helping when you cut everyone down. Having optimism and enthusiasm isn't a bad thing. Everyone is excited for the start of football. Enjoy it.

What about when those thoughts and analyses are completely dumb ones. . . like RealVille's always are?

Predicted Final Regular Season Record: 9-3. (My one Qualifier -- If Cards go 5-1 thru FIRST 6 games, then they will likely finish the regular season at 10-2).

If a MIRACLE happens, then I'm there for it!!

Second or Third best Total Team in 25 years?

We will all see. That's what's exciting!

Go C..A..R..D..S !!

Reactions: Mayoman
Predicted Final Regular Season Record: 9-3. (My one Qualifier -- If Cards go 5-1 thru FIRST 6 games, then they will likely finish the regular season at 10-2).

If a MIRACLE happens, then I'm there for it!!

Second or Third best Total Team in 25 years?

We will all see. That's what's exciting!

Go C..A..R..D..S !!
I just have a problem predicting 9-3 assuming the losses are to Clemson, FSU and Houston. If we can only beat the non ranked teams with this roster full of talent and experience, it will be a disappointing season to me. Yes, 9-3 looks like a good record but who would the quality win be? NC State? Duke?

Now if we're 9-3 with a win over Houston and a upset loss to Duke I will still not be satisfied. If we're 9-3 with a win over FSU or Clemson, that would be a lot better. At least we would have that big win.

A 10-2 record with losses to the big two would have its pros and cons. We would get a top notch bowl game but we would still have a big fat zero in 6 games against Clemson and FSU since we joined the ACC. We would have to beat a LSU or Michigan in the bowl game to prove we belong with the big boys of college football.

So for me, a successful season is beating one of the big two and not losing to a losing team. This team is loaded with talented on both sides of the ball. If this same roster were Notre Dame or Texas, they would be a top 10 team. Louisville is still looked at as a outsider to most people. It's time to change that for good, starting this season.

I just have a problem predicting 9-3 assuming the losses are to Clemson, FSU and Houston. If we can only beat the non ranked teams with this roster full of talent and experience, it will be a disappointing season to me. Yes, 9-3 looks like a good record but who would the quality win be? NC State? Duke?

Now if we're 9-3 with a win over Houston and a upset loss to Duke I will still not be satisfied. If we're 9-3 with a win over FSU or Clemson, that would be a lot better. At least we would have that big win.

A 10-2 record with losses to the big two would have its pros and cons. We would get a top notch bowl game but we would still have a big fat zero in 6 games against Clemson and FSU since we joined the ACC. We would have to beat a LSU or Michigan in the bowl game to prove we belong with the big boys of college football.

So for me, a successful season is beating one of the big two and not losing to a losing team. This team is loaded with talented on both sides of the ball. If this same roster were Notre Dame or Texas, they would be a top 10 team. Louisville is still looked at as a outsider to most people. It's time to change that for good, starting this season.

Real, you are strongly hinting at what is nearly-impossible. Without saying it outright. If the Cards were to go 11-1 (against this schedule), then they would likely be semi-CFB-Playoff candidates.

I don't think it is in these Cards, but I would not bet against them!

This is a possible Championship contender team that must coalesce in the first 5 weeks.

These Cards have great potential.

It is all up to them.

Potential is one thing.

I wish I could say 10-2 but the Cards always seem to lay an egg and lose somewhere they shouldn't lose during the season. I don't think it will be @ SU @ Marshall or @ BC as I don't think any of those teams can keep up with Louisville even if they have a bad day. There is no chance IMHO the Cards lose to Charlotte Wake or UK. Would most likely happen somewhere during the Duke NC St. @ UVa trio of games. I also think the Cards only win 1 of 3 of the FSU @Clemson @ Houston trio. With one loss in a game where we are favored and one win in a game where we are the underdog I think the Cards go 9-3. Hope I'm wrong and they win them all.

Charlotte- W
Syracuse- W
Florida St- W
Marshall- W
Clemson- L
Duke- W
NC State- W
Virginia- W
BC- W
Wake Forest- W
Houston- W
Kentucky- W

11-1

Much more optimistic than myself

Charlotte Win
@ Syracuse Close Win
Florida State Loss
@ Marshall Close Win
@ Clemson Loss
Duke Win
NC State Win
@ Boston College Win
@ Virginia Close Win
Wake Forest Win
@ Houston Close Loss-(Game we can steal)
Kentucky Do you really have to ask...Win...lol

9-3 Overall/ACC 6-2...Bowl Game vs. SEC Ole Miss in the Taxslayer/Gator Bowl...

Much more optimistic than myself

Charlotte Win
@ Syracuse Close Win
Florida State Loss
@ Marshall Close Win
@ Clemson Loss
Duke Win
NC State Win
@ Boston College Win
@ Virginia Close Win
Wake Forest Win
@ Houston Close Loss-(Game we can steal)
Kentucky Do you really have to ask...Win...lol

9-3 Overall/ACC 6-2...Bowl Game vs. SEC Ole Miss in the Taxslayer/Gator Bowl...
That's would be a disappointing season for me. No big wins.

And that's why no one....and I mean NO ONE takes you even remotely seriously

Pot calling the kettle black. Jay.....you just need to go away. Have you ever made one redeeming post? Who appointed you to speak for the rest of the Card fans that post on this board? The Real Ville keeps it real.....you - not so much. Gump aid it best....."There is no cure for stupid!"

Pot calling the kettle black. Jay.....you just need to go away. Have you ever made one redeeming post? Who appointed you to speak for the rest of the Card fans that post on this board? The Real Ville keeps it real.....you - not so much. Gump aid it best....."There is no cure for stupid!"
So Jay is at it again? How I love the ignore option though I'm a bit curious at his latest antics. How can anybody call themselves a fan of any team at the same time spend so much time attacking those fans for being optimistic? Why does he care? What does it matter? Either we're right or we're wrong. So what?

Reactions: Deeva and Mayoman
Two games against two of the Top 4 Teams in the nation and a Road Game on a Short Week against a Top 15 opponent...not easy task.
Nothing good is easy but if Louisville football is going to be a player for the playoff, they have to beat those teams. This season and beyond. But those teams you mention are saying to themselves it's not going to be easy beating the Cards.

Duke QB is out for season.

NCST with new coach is a ?

FSU & CU are FSU & CU. Gotta beat em.

Houston should have our attention this time....but we are a young team to try to keep focused for 12 games.

If they can focus, and stay HEALTHY... 11-1. (Young team will still screw the pooch somewhere along the line)

Who is this Jay you speak of? :rolleyes:

Duke QB is out for season.

NCST with new coach is a ?

FSU & CU are FSU & CU. Gotta beat em.

Houston should have our attention this time....but we are a young team to try to keep focused for 12 games.

If they can focus, and stay HEALTHY... 11-1. (Young team will still screw the pooch somewhere along the line)

Who is this Jay you speak of? :rolleyes:
Dude calls himself Jay Reimenschneider I believe. I have blocked his posts with the ignore option because all he does is attack me and those who predict big things for this team. We're called homer fans just like UK and have no knowledge of the game and on and on. Just out of nowhere with this guy. No details on the team or players, just attacks on fans with optimism. This is the first time in all my years I ignored a poster.

NC state doesn't have a new coach; Dave Doeren is entering his 4th season there. Syracuse does have a new coach in Dino Bakers -- perhaps that's who you meant?
Yes.

People here are thinking Doreren in his 4th year may have something going.

Cuse is the ? with the new coach.

Realville....I know. Just being sarcastic since I don't see his posts anymore. ;)

People here are thinking Doreren in his 4th year may have something going.
People where??

The only thing Doeren might have going this year is his butt on the hot seat! NC State has recruited somewhat well under Doeren, but the problem is all their best recruits have come in the same two position groups: RB and DL. You can't win games with studs in the backfield and on the DL but nowhere else. That being said, they're pesky when they're the home team, especially when the opponent is ranked, so y'all will have to weather that storm.

Good luck this season! Perhaps, if the stars align and the Heels can figure out how to play defense, we could could see a Louisville - Carolina ACC Championship Game. It's unlikely, IMO, but it could happen!

Every new college football season the same two things happen. The usual top dog programs are picked high again despite the amount of great players lost. And many of those teams are nowhere near the team they're supposed to be. Case example.

Auburn. Ranked #6 last August because their back up QB finally would get his chance to shine. The Tigers had lost even more from their 2014 team but they were still top 10 in every poll.

We know what happened to them in 2015. Of course a couple of programs like Alabama and Ohio State deserve the top rated status regardless of how many players they lost. But Auburn isn't them and I don't think Clemson and Oklahoma should be either.

Yes, Watson is an awesome QB but Clemson lost a ton on defense. The Tigers almost lost a few games that shouldn't have been close including the Louisville game. They were very lucky to be 13-0 going into the playoff.

My point in all of this is the teams at the top last season most likely won't be there this season. Experts are picking Alabama, Clemson, and Oklahoma again and I don't believe it will be the case. Even Alabama this time. I think there will at least be three different teams in the playoff. FSU, Ohio State, and LSU are strong possibilities and Michigan, UCLA, and yes Louisville, could be this season's Iowa.

Nothing ever goes according to plan in college football. There will be surprised teams and disappointing teams. What would happen if the Cards beat FSU, Clemson beats the Cards, and FSU beats Clemson. All finish 7-1. I don't think this is far fetched at all. All three teams win at home. But not one so called expert ever considered this scenario. How would the ACC declare a the Atlantic division champion? Inquiring minds want to know.

Nothing ever goes according to plan in college football. There will be surprised teams and disappointing teams. What would happen if the Cards beat FSU, Clemson beats the Cards, and FSU beats Clemson. All finish 7-1. I don't think this is far fetched at all. All three teams win at home. But not one so called expert ever considered this scenario. How would the ACC declare a the Atlantic division champion? Inquiring minds want to know.
http://www.theacc.com/page/ACC-Football-Championship-Tiebreakers

Dude calls himself Jay Reimenschneider I believe. I have blocked his posts with the ignore option because all he does is attack me and those who predict big things for this team. We're called homer fans just like UK and have no knowledge of the game and on and on. Just out of nowhere with this guy. No details on the team or players, just attacks on fans with optimism. This is the first time in all my years I ignored a poster.
That troll is the former weasel who used to go by the handle CardFan1130. Unlike you he changed his handle because everyone was seeing through his sorry schtick and had put him on ignore.

He is the typical no lifer troll who bashes anyone with a positive outlook on UofL and always disappears after we win. Sad sack syndrome for sure.

Folks...Please be respectful of all fellow poster opinions. Disrespectful posts or comments towards fellow UofL posters won't be permitted. And also please state your opinions in a respectful manner, regardless of how positive or negative you may feel about the current program, team, and players at any particular moment in the season. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Reactions: gocds
I'm going to go with a projection of 9-3 for the regular season. I simply don't see us beating FSU or Clemson just yet. The other loss I'm guessing at is either the trap game @ Marshall or the game @ Houston. All 4 are legit tough opponents, so I'm not expecting the seemingly usual unexpected loss to a seemingly overmatched team. I see 10-2 (losses to FSU and Clemson) as the logical ceiling and 7-5 (losses to FSU, Clemson, Marshall, Houston, and that usual unexpected loss) as the unthinkable floor.

I'm going to go with a projection of 9-3 for the regular season. I simply don't see us beating FSU or Clemson just yet. The other loss I'm guessing at is either the trap game @ Marshall or the game @ Houston. All 4 are legit tough opponents, so I'm not expecting the seemingly usual unexpected loss to a seemingly overmatched team. I see 10-2 (losses to FSU and Clemson) as the logical ceiling and 7-5 (losses to FSU, Clemson, Marshall, Houston, and that usual unexpected loss) as the unthinkable floor.
Just don't understand this worry for Marshall. They lost a bunch from a decent team last season. If the Cards struggle with this middle of the pack mid-major then we're nowhere near where we want to be. I also don't see why some can't see beating Clemson and FSU. The last two seasons we had a chance to beat Clemson right at the end and we're much better now and Clemson has lost most of their top defensive players. We led FSU at the half the last two seasons and again we're a much better team now and they have a freshman QB.

I agree they are the favorite but this notion that Cards fans can't see winning when we were so close with lesser teams , I just don't get it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT