ADVERTISEMENT

Missed half-and-done opportunity...

Is there any real definitive information that states where any specific team WAS seriously interested in drafting him this year? That kind of statement from a team is hard to come by; teams aren't big on revealing their true draft plans. Without that, it will be tough to gauge exactly how much his draft stock improves from one year to the next. It should be possible to confidently state "his stock improved" if he is a HIGH draft pick next year, but specifically how much will be a matter of conjecture.

So you guys will be shocked when HD is a lotto pick next year? Idk why he has phenomenal combine stats, he's just young

Is there any real definitive information that states where any specific team WAS seriously interested in drafting him this year? That kind of statement from a team is hard to come by; teams aren't big on revealing their true draft plans. Without that, it will be tough to gauge exactly how much his draft stock improves from one year to the next. It should be possible to confidently state "his stock improved" if he is a HIGH draft pick next year, but specifically how much will be a matter of conjecture.
I believe it was the Nets who had the most interest along with the Jazz. They had two picks late in the first round. It was actually a beat writer for Brooklyn that first reported that he was coming back. I had also read that Diallo wanted a promise from the bulls at 16 and they couldn't make him a promise. Doing research and following the story I think most everyone agrees that he was most likely to go late in the first round and he worked out for teams that picked in that range. I'd say it was a real possibility that one of those teams would spurn him and he'd fall to the second which would be a big factor in him returning. As far as definitive reports I'm not sure. The way news and reporting is today I don't think anything is definitive anymore. But yes I think most believe he was likely a late first rounder and he chose to come back to be lottery next year. Barring injury, he has nothing to lose and a lot to gain by returning. It's doubtful that his stock falls past round 1 based on his measurables alone.

Probably similar to Harrell's situation for you guys. Montrezl was a first round talent that was borderline end of first round to second round. He took the risk and did not have a guarantee..went second round and thankfully got a contract.

I'm thinking Diallo was in a range at the end where he did not want it left to chance whether he gets a guaranteed contract, so he feels confident he will be a lottery pick next Summer.

Probably similar to Harrell's situation for you guys. Montrezl was a first round talent that was borderline end of first round to second round. He took the risk and did not have a guarantee..went second round and thankfully got a contract.

I'm thinking Diallo was in a range at the end where he did not want it left to chance whether he gets a guaranteed contract, so he feels confident he will be a lottery pick next Summer.

Your first paragraph is the result of having no definitive draft status information. Rivals will claim a player was sure fire high draft pick who made a bad choice in returning. Fans will claim a player was not a sure fire high draft pick who made the right decision to return. Either way, the decision will be spun into a poor choice vs good choice by fans or rivals. It's all conjecture.

Reactions: JohnKBA
I have a friend who was going to be drafted to play single A baseball. Once he realized what life was like for a middling singe A player, he came back for his senior year in a hot second. The first round garauntee means everything. Diallo would have been taking a huge risk.

Reactions: JohnKBA
Thomas Beisner UKs 2nd homer next to Jones already spining the Dialo thing that Cal concocted the whole thing. And it was another genius move by Cal. Whatever no teams wanted to draft him first round. If If he was guaranteed first round Cal, would have took credit for another NBA player that never played he would get fake credsaying just his practices get you first round.

He would have been drafted zipp just not as high as he feels he could be drafted next year
Which is exactly why OAD kids go to LPT--to get "drafted". Right.

He HOPES he can get drafted higher next year. OTOH he's not too confident in his basketball abilities, or he would have played in 5-on-5 competitions.

From a slapd!ck POV, the only thing constructive that was proven the last couple weeks is that Lite was right in not playing him this past season. He evidently wasn't good enough to have contributed much.

"Elite program," my a$$...

He HOPES he can get drafted higher next year. OTOH he's not too confident in his basketball abilities, or he would have played in 5-on-5 competitions.

From a slapd!ck POV, the only thing constructive that was proven the last couple weeks is that Lite was right in not playing him this past season. He evidently wasn't good enough to have contributed much.

Are all the kids who skip the 5on5 not
Confident in their abilities? Ball? Fox? Fultz?

That's a different discussion all together. You started this thread presumptuously. To steal ons of your own quotes, you failed to "let the cake bake".

Now we will need to let the cake bake again in order to see if HD is as good of a player as his ranking suggests. But your negative spin on the situation doesn't find its mark. If you're telling me that we can fill our college squad with late first round prospects every year then I think we will be just fine.
No, the thread was fine in the context of when it was posted. Like many, I had assumed he was good enough to play ball for LPT this past season and simply used you guys to leverage his situation with the NBA. Let's face it...that's what he TRIED to do, and your coach was OK with that.

Lite comes out looking good in this, however, because the kid wasn't good enough evidently to contribute much this past season. I don't think that was Lite's plan, but that is the way it worked out. Lite probably thought he had a better player.

Good news for you guys is now Lite gets a year to coach him up. :p

Are all the kids who skip the 5on5 not Confident in their abilities? Ball? Fox? Fultz?
Flawed comparison... Those guys skip because they have PROVEN what they CAN do. The guy you've got coming back didn't wanna prove what he COULDN'T do.

For evidence of that, look where they all get (or would have gotten) drafted.

Possibly or it may be that he's just not that good. See Briscoe.
And the only difference is that Briscoe KNOWS he's not getting any better. Diallo HOPES he will.

The NBA is a multimillion $$ biz determining these very answers.

I made one mistake in this analysis... I thought the kid was a better player than he evidently is. Shucks. :cool:

You're grasping for that negative spin.

Flawed comparison... Those guys skip because they have PROVEN what they CAN do. The guy you've got coming back didn't wanna prove what he COULDN'T do.

Pretty much destroyed him with that one.

Thread is way too serious. You guys need to have more of a sense of humor, like this guy.

Screen-Shot-2017-02-06-at-12.38.07-PM_dtdr0a.png

Just happened to see this. We should try to commit it to memory for next year just to see how it all shakes out.

http://kentucky.247sports.com/Bolt/...e-selected-Diallo-in-the-first-round-52902087

The thought of Diallo taking a lotta shots is pretty humorous... :p

I hope he bricks as many as Lite promised him.

The thought of Diallo taking a lotta shots is pretty humorous... :p

I hope he bricks as many as Lite promised him.

That was a good burn, ouch.....you really got UK on that one....

Reactions: zipp
I just gave you a like... Now I'm responsible for 25% of them.

I hope Diallo laughs this hard as well, all the way to nailing a shot that almost got UK to the FF....gee, the horror.
That is "almost" a moral victory. The bar has definitely been lowered over in blueville.

his goal was to go in and get drafted as high as possible just like every other kid who tested the waters. If teams were going to draft him without playing why would he play?

I will repeat, I hope Diallo laughs all the way to at least the Elite 8 and maybe more, since Monk's laughing almost got us to the FF....gosh, Just imagine if Monk was serious last year....he could have averaged 20 plus points a game, help lead UK deep into March and lose to the eventual champion who he had torched for 47 earlier in the year...wait he did that

That is "almost" a moral victory. The bar has definitely been lowered over in blueville.

Once again, I will take my odds on a season like last year being at least a "moral" victory. I would say that they bar every year is the Elite Eight. Since it is impossible to make it to the FF every year. NO ONE DOES. At least making an Elite Eight means the team likely lost to a very good team and had a legit shot at FF where then anything can happen and win a title. Especially when the team loses to a higher seed eventual Champ....

Calipari has only missed the Elite 8 twice at UK. That is pretty consistent.

Reactions: ThroughBlue
Once again, I will take my odds on a season like last year being at least a "moral" victory. I would say that they bar every year is the Elite Eight. Since it is impossible to make it to the FF every year. NO ONE DOES. At least making an Elite Eight means the team likely lost to a very good team and had a legit shot at FF where then anything can happen and win a title. Especially when the team loses to a higher seed eventual Champ....

The cayuts, with an NBA "like" all star team SHOULD MAKE THE FF EACH AND EVERY YEAR. You guys are selling yourselves short. But, then again, when Calivacate just rolls the ball out then you get what you get.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

When was the last tournament win for Kentucky where the opponent had a more talented team?

....and Calipari missed the tournament completely with five 5 stars on the roster....lol

Reactions: shadow force
Why play if HS ratings determine how good a team should be. Talent doesn't guarantee wins. Either you need to have great talent or experienced players that eventually out perform what some scout rated them when they were 17 years old.

Kind of like saying Brad Stevens only had good teams at Butler becasue of his coaching, but he also had the help of an NBA all star in Hayward and another NBA starter in Mack...do we say that he had NO TALENT now at Bulter???

Coach K always has one of it not the most talented team year after year, so what is his excuse when he loses in the tournament...come on...

NO ONE wins it all every year, no matter how great of a team or how talented of a team they have, but having the most talent year after year, sure heck helps to be in contention year after year....which UK is has been pretty every year since Calipari has been around execept twice.

I do believe that UNC had equal to if not more McDonald All Americans and/or 5 stars last year than UK...

When was the last tournament win for Kentucky where the opponent had a more talented team?

....and Calipari missed the tournament completely with five 5 stars on the roster....lol
How many games are won on paper? I would gladly accept the trophy every year with the most talented team on paper instead of playing the season out.

UNC beat Kentucky.

UK was NOT the most talented team when it beat both the Number one overall seed OSU and then UNC in 2011. That was back to back games.

As an elite program, UK should be more talented every year than other teams. That is why it was time for Tubby to move on....Just like all Elite Football and Basketball teams. That is why they are "elite". So what is the point? That UK is just the most underperforming program of all time??? I will take what Calipari is producing as "underperforming". It is pretty darn fun and rewarding. If we just doubled what he has done in 8 years to the same time as what Rick has been at UofL...WOW. Two NC, 8FF, 2 runner ups....that is pretty insane.

Just some interesting stats (to me anyways) from the 2 UK related threads on our board.

Combined total posts (non-deleted): 119.
Deleted posts: 7 (from 4 different visiting posters).
Total # of visiting posters banned due to trolling posts: 0
Total # of visiting posters banned due to name calling in private messages: 1
Of those 119 total posts, 53 are from 16 different visiting posters.
Conclusion: 16 different visitors posted successfully 53 (of 119) at least 1 post without creating or experiencing any issues.

Just some truth/reality for those posters whining on their own board about how sensitive and trigger happy mods here are. If you aren't being a trolling @ss, you are welcome to post here.

In contrast, maybe one of those whining the loudest (and lurking) could compile some stats on how many UofL posters have/are allowed to post in any one of the multiple UofL threads (with multiple pages) on your board? Any? Anybody?

:cool:

Last edited:
Just some interesting stats (to me anyways) from the 2 UK related threads on our board.

Combined total posts (non-deleted): 119.
Deleted posts: 7 (from 4 different visiting posters).
Total # of visiting posters banned due to trolling posts: 0
Total # of visiting posters banned due to name calling in private messages: 1
Of those 119 total posts, 53 are from 16 different visiting posters.
Conclusion: 16 different visitors posted successfully 53 (of 119) at least 1 post without creating or experiencing any issues.

Just some truth/reality for those posters whining on their own board about how sensitive and trigger happy mods here are. If you aren't being a trolling @ss, you are welcome to post here.

In contrast, maybe one of those whining the loudest (and lurking) could compile some stats on how many UofL posters have/are allowed to post in any one of the multiple UofL threads (with multiple pages) on your board?

:cool:
I made an observation that there are more posts about Diallo than Deng Adel, and the whole premise of this thread is trolling wouldn't you say. And this is not a trolling post, it just seems like for a player that is not that good as you say, you all sure seem worried about him. (I'd respond more but I do not want to get this thread off topic from its real point)

The thread is about Diallo I thought, are you banned on Rupp Rafters and you cannot respond to the thread there you are talking about?

I made an observation that there are more posts about Diallo than Deng Adel, and the whole premise of this thread is trolling wouldn't you say. And this is not a trolling post, it just seems like for a player that is not that good as you say, you all sure seem worried about him. (I'd respond more but I do not want to get this thread off topic from its real point)

The thread is about Diallo I thought, are you banned on Rupp Rafters and you cannot respond to the thread there you are talking about?

There are not more posts about Diallo than Adel... from UofL posters. There ARE more posts about Diallo because of 53 visiting posts (and counting) want to talk about Diallo...on our board.

No...I'm not banned on the UK boards. I don't post or respond by choice.

Don't you think it is due to a certain few big time UofL posters if not just one that almost always is the one creating a UK thread that is usually a trolling thread anyway. Thus you get more visitors (Lurkers) that really would never post feel insulted and or in disbelief they feel compelled to post....

Just saying.

Don't you think it is due to a certain few big time UofL posters if not just one that almost always is the one creating a UK thread that is usually a trolling thread anyway. Thus you get more visitors (Lurkers) that really would never post feel insulted and or in disbelief they feel compelled to post....

Just saying.

Absolutely. A large portion of the visitors are here to rebut what is being said here. Now...same question for you. Don't you think a large portion of the animosity towards UK posters here is due to the TRULY vile things, names, etc. that are being said about them on the UK board? Yet...where are all the UofL poster's rebuttals (or posts at all) on the UK boards? Are they just not as sensitive as UK posters, or are there simply none that haven't been banned to even attempt to rebut? Your point cuts both ways.

Reactions: shadow force
Absolutely. A large portion of the visitors are here to rebut what is being said here. Now...same question for you. Don't you think a large portion of the animosity towards UK posters here is due to the TRULY vile things, names, etc. that are being said about them on the UK board? Yet...where are all the UofL poster's rebuttals (or posts at all) on the UK boards? Are they just not as sensitive as UK posters, or are there simply none that haven't been banned to even attempt to rebut? Your point cuts both ways.
It does cut both ways to a point. But its due to their being a lot of posters at Rupp Rafters and that usually drowns out the lurkers and trollers over there. there are not as many posters here because this forum is not like The Yum over at Scout where a large amount of posters could drown them out. But, there were decent sized discussions over there about several of the Uk recruits and its harder to lurk/troll over there.

I do generally like posting here because I'm not a UofL hater and I've always kept up with all the state schools in D1/D2 sports.

It does cut both ways to a point. But its due to their being a lot of posters at Rupp Rafters and that usually drowns out the lurkers and trollers over there. there are not as many posters here because this forum is not like The Yum over at Scout where a large amount of posters could drown them out. But, there were decent sized discussions over there about several of the Uk recruits and its harder to lurk/troll over there.

I do generally like posting here because I'm not a UofL hater and I've always kept up with all the state schools in D1/D2 sports.

UofL posters or trolls aren't being "drowned out" on the UK boards. They don't exist. So...why is that? Have they all been deleted...or are all the UofL posters banned? Which is it?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT