ADVERTISEMENT

Matz Stockman- The Good And The Bad

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
THE GOOD

The sample size is limited, but a quick glance of Stockman's production last season shows two areas where he was really effective: Offensive rebounding and drawing fouls. He's a big body with long arms, which makes him a tough box-out for opponents. His offensive rebounding rate - he corralled 16.2 percent of the rebounding opportunities in his area - was actually the highest on the team, though, again, he only played 6.2 minutes per game and only appeared in 23 contests. He also drew 4.9 fouls per 40 minutes, a good number for a big man.

Stockman's potential showed up a few times last season: at Notre Dame (six points, three rebounds), vs. Syracuse (six points) and at Kentucky (two points, five rebounds). The Notre Dame game in particular stuck out - Stockman was a noticeable presence in the post for the eight minutes he played spelling an in-foul-trouble Chinanu Onuaku. Stockman's teammates raved about him after those performances, saying he dominates practices as a post scorer and shot blocker.

THE BAD

But as much as his teammates - and Pitino - rave about Stockman's practice performances, there is also something to be said about the Norwegian big fella's struggles with in-game confidence. He immediately drops his head and shoulders when he misses shots, especially layups, and Pitino has said several times that Stockman lets those small moments occupy his mind and distract him. As his minutes increase, and they will this season with Onuaku's entry into the NBA Draft, Stockman has to figure out how to forget mistakes and move on.

He got a lot better as the season progressed, but another area where Stockman has to improve is the speed with which he plays. It's all part of acclimating to the American game, which is physical and fast-paced. He tends to take a moment to think about what he's doing instead of instinctively doing it. When he locks in, which happened a few times during the team's Puerto Rico exhibition tour, Stockman can be a strong offensive player on the block. But it's not consistent enough in game situations.

FINAL WORD

With five players ready to handle Louisville's two post positions, there isn't all that much pressure on Stockman to become more than what he is right now: a 7-footer who can occupy space, block some shots and rebound as a team's 10th or 11th man. He does have potential to be more of a factor if he can carry over his individual instruction and practice performances to actual games. He has a nice touch off his post moves and is a good offensive rebounder. That's why this offseason is so important: If he speeds his game up and gets past the frustrations that bother him, Stockman can compete with Anas Mahmoud for double-digit minutes as U of L's backup center.

Reactions: Louisville JD
Good analogy. The only thing I will say about Matz is that to me he demonstrated more of an offensive skill set (jump hook shot) than any of the centers including Onuaku. He can get that shot off anytime he wants it and yes he got frustrated when it didn't go down every time. I think working with Padgett (learning when to pass and then reposting) will give him more confidence. Anas is just too much of a finesse player and I don't see him in the NBA as a center. Could be wrong though.

Reactions: shadow force
Anas is just not carrying a frame that will allow another 30 pounds of man sized beef. He will always be pretty thin, although strength can be earned by weight training and persistence. He will get stronger every season, the more he realizes how much it can add to his game. Last season, his breakout offensive game showed his understanding of the advantages of his reach and that he had begun to understand it. LOL, dude is a lay up away just by leaning in at the foul line. :)

Matz has the strength in his God given makeup, but you're correct about his attitude and the speed of the college game. He needs to be the rim protector and the offensive force an accurate monster-sized guy can be with his baby hook and his rebounding rate. I really like both these guys, as do we all. In a way, you want them to succeed simply because of their personalities. These are good guys.

Reactions: earsky and Mayoman
I like his potential. He is big, strong, and of course tall. He shows flashes of a solid offensive game, and his size makes it difficult for opponents to get around him. He's a little slow to react which means his game is still mechanical in nature. Once he begins to flow with the game, he will be a force to deal with.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT