ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Jurich is out.

While you guys are catching your breath, one other opinion here. Yes, MJ was overpaid by a lot for an Assistant AD. And whereas I love Vince Tyra who is brilliant at business, I'd rather have an AD who knows who the next rising superstar Assistant Coach is through years of contacts in atheltics. TJ provided us with that. And I still believe TJ should have been suspended for a week without pay for allowing the disaster called CRP to fester and only paying lip service to any discipline of him. Firing? No way. Not a few months after AHole Postel gave him a "he walks on water" evaluation. Dumb move.

Reactions: STLNBSE
As Mark Twain famously said, "never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

I certainly won't lower myself to conduct your asinine research errand, but here's what I know off the top of my head. The Foundation paid Mark over 700k from 2012-16 in addition to the six figure income he was already getting. Mark was hired with no experience and quickly made what most of us would consider a lot of money. His dad was a brilliant fundraiser. His dad was a great AD. His dad had a deep network of big fish donors.Thus, his dad deserves near total credit for creating the processes, practices and conditions that allowed Son to achieve any measure of success. As I've already said, this reasonably explains why Mark wasn't in any hurry to find new employment despite his dad's very public mistreatment by Postel.

How did I paint myself into any corners? By suggesting the internal documents could be skewed to make Mark look more successful? It's at least plausible, but ultimately unimportant because it's essentially unknowable how much money he raised directly, how much he benefited from his dad
(Presumably a lot), or who else on the staff was a good fundraiser. Jurich the elder was the rainmaker and not his son. I can understand bemoaning Tom's firing, but extending that to include his son is nothing short of hero worship.

This all started with my simple and innocuous comment that MJ was overpaid. He was. As others have pointed out, so too is Tyra, but at least he has a resume and some history of leadership, financial acumen, etc. Mark had his dad. The next job he interviews for will be his first.
From the CJ - 6/23/17 regarding the internal audit performed on the Foundation related to athletics.

“Mark Jurich’s salary: The audit lists Tom’s son Mark Jurich, who oversees fundraising for athletics, as receiving $767,208 total from the foundation from 2010 to 2016.

As (Kevin)Miller explained and is noted in the audit, Mark Jurich is officially an employee of the president’s office, which sets and oversees his pay. The money paid to Mark Jurich by the foundation was for the only salary he receives, which averaged $109,601 over the seven years that were audited and was $160,080 the past two years. Miller said Jurich’s salary is about “middle of the pack” compared with other senior officials at UofL.“

Only during the years of 2010 & 2011 did Jurich receive additional money from the university - about 80K per - after that he was paid the 160K reported. So again, what you know “off the top of your head” proves to be erroneous. You say it’s “unknowable how much (money) he raised directly” except there is a report detailing it. You choose to disregard the report’s validity based on - well really based on nothing - and I choose to accept the report on its face until proven otherwise.

You say MJ was overpaid - I disagreed and you got huffy and defensive. It happens.

BP he’s a SuCk fan the Dawg comment is a dead ringer for a SuCk fan.

Good one! Think MJ was overpaid? You aren't a fan! The groupthink here is scary.
You’ll have to forgive those of us who look at people with 50 posts to their credit, who start posting negative things. Since the fbi situation, there have been a shit ton of yut trolls that have flooded the board. Whether or not that includes you remains to be seen but, it has nothing to do with group think.

You’ll have to forgive those of us who look at people with 50 posts to their credit, who start posting negative things. Since the fbi situation, there have been a shit ton of yut trolls that have flooded the board. Whether or not that includes you remains to be seen but, it has nothing to do with group think.

Post count. Original. I've read these boards for years and rarely bothered to post. Mostly because of the regulars who act like they own the place and impose their opinions while refusing to acknowledge anything new or different. Anyone who may question my fan hood can pay a quick visit to the U.K. Football board where I was recently banned. I've been a Louisville football guy since the days of Browning Neagle.

Also want to point out I don't think my comments on Jurich were negative. More the opposite really as I don't think we lost anything that can't easily be replaced. Wallowing in the "here we go again" negativity is exhausting really. The sky isn't falling despite the prevailing attitude here.

I've been around since Bob Weber.

Don't know who the Neagle kid is.

Never post? And have around 20 in this thread alone?

Sure. :rolleyes:

Just admit you're a troll. It's no big deal. They're a dime a dozen. ;)

I've been around since Bob Weber.

Don't know who the Neagle kid is.

Never post? And have around 20 in this thread alone?

Sure. :rolleyes:

Just admit you're a troll. It's no big deal. They're a dime a dozen. ;)

Mmm Kay. I'm a troll. Real fans despise message board heroes of your ilk. It's why no one posts here anymore.

It was time to get rid of the nepotism, cronyism, and corruption. The university was allowed to be completely embarrassed by the past president, AD, and basketball coach while the team had to sit out the NCAA. Mark Jurich was grossly over paid. Is Haley Jurich still working for addidas on the heels of the Pitino lawsuit against them?

It was time to get rid of the nepotism, cronyism, and corruption. The university was allowed to be completely embarrassed by the past president, AD, and basketball coach while the team had to sit out the NCAA. Mark Jurich was grossly over paid. Is Haley Jurich still working for addidas on the heels of the Pitino lawsuit against them?
Luckily you have Barnfart, so this doesnt have anything to do with you Cat fan

Reactions: CommodoreCard
The problem is you have more negative post than positive post so it is kind of hard to think of you as a Louisville fan.

Mmm Kay. I'm a troll. Real fans despise message board heroes of your ilk. It's why no one posts here anymore.

Rollem draws a lot of water on this site, you don’t draw sh*t Lebowski.

I’ll put this debate to rest by asking you for something you will be unable to produce: Proof Vince Tyra is a “successful businessman”. What exactly makes him “successful”? Has he ever raised $60 million dollars? Mark Jurich has. Mark Jurich’s compensation is quite reasonable if you consider his role as a sales person. You don’t believe a salesperson bringing in $60 million plus would be compensated with commission that would be comparable? Again, I’ll even lower the bar - show us where Tyra has raised half of the profit that Mark Jurich has. Remember, the $60 million was only for the stadium expansion. Let’s not forget the other facilities that Mark had the lead on, like the Thornton’s center and Lynn stadium. Mark Jurich earn his compensation. Tyra hasn’t earned squat. He’s the one riding the coattails of his last name. Just like Rollem has earned respect around here, and you are just a n00b.

Rollem draws a lot of water on this site, you don’t draw sh*t Lebowski.

I’ll put this debate to rest by asking you for something you will be unable to produce: Proof Vince Tyra is a “successful businessman”. What exactly makes him “successful”? Has he ever raised $60 million dollars? Mark Jurich has. Mark Jurich’s compensation is quite reasonable if you consider his role as a sales person. You don’t believe a salesperson bringing in $60 million plus would be compensated with commission that would be comparable? Again, I’ll even lower the bar - show us where Tyra has raised half of the profit that Mark Jurich has. Remember, the $60 million was only for the stadium expansion. Let’s not forget the other facilities that Mark had the lead on, like the Thornton’s center and Lynn stadium. Mark Jurich earn his compensation. Tyra hasn’t earned squat. He’s the one riding the coattails of his last name. Just like Rollem has earned respect around here, and you are just a n00b.

You want to know what I draw? All the attention and angst of you sweet message board warrior fans. And why? Because I contend the former associate AD was overpaid. Seems like misplaced rage and misguided fanhood to me. We will never move forward with fans like this. Your comparisons are absurd. Tyra has had a legitimate business career and Mark has never made a penny his dad didn't sign for. No comparison.

You want to know what I draw? All the attention and angst of you sweet message board warrior fans. And why? Because I contend the former associate AD was overpaid. Seems like misplaced rage and misguided fanhood to me. We will never move forward with fans like this. Your comparisons are absurd. Tyra has had a legitimate business career and Mark has never made a penny his dad didn't sign for. No comparison.

You really don’t. Still waiting on that evidence of a “legitimate business career”. Or proof he has so much as provided even a fraction of revenue or wealth that Mark Jurich has.

You really don’t. Still waiting on that evidence of a “legitimate business career”. Or proof he has so much as provided even a fraction of revenue or wealth that Mark Jurich has.

I love these research projects you guys issue. Here's one for you...has Mark Jurich held a job where his dad wasn't in charge? Minor league baseball doesn't count.

I love these research projects you guys issue. Here's one for you...has Mark Jurich held a job where his dad wasn't in charge? Minor league baseball doesn't count.

So the fact that he worked for his dad nullifies the job performance?

These research projects are a request for data to back up a claim you are passing off as fact. You have no data, just a foolish opinion.

Reactions: teamcanada
There's data and then there's common sense. Can you produce evidence that Tyra wasn't a successful businessman? Of course not, because all the information points in exactly the opposite direction.

Because he's largely worked in non-publicly traded companies, how exactly do you want me to quantify his income and success? What I can tell you for certain is that he's held the most important leadership roles just about everywhere he's been. Trya has been a CEO at ISCO, a managing partner at Southfield Capital, and a president at Fruit of the Loom. His career path shows leadership and progression. Moreover, he never worked for his dad. As much as you hate the current administration at U of L, do you really think they just threw money at some middling professional to become U of L's AD at over $1 annually?

I'll listen to the argument that he wasn't the best choice for the job, but to suggest he wasn't successful in the business world flies in the face of all logic.To answer your question about Mark Jurich, yes, the fact that he was hired by his dad with no job history and nothing to prove that he raised the funds without his father's direct oversight and help does indeed nullify the job performance. Like everyone else in the world, Mark Jurich's job performance should be evaluated objectively when he does something completely on his own merit. Meanwhile, you BP's Ghost and others can continue to worship at the church of Jurich. I'll stand by the University of Louisville.

Last edited:
No facts. Just running your cack-holster.

I gave you Tyra's resume. What facts did you bring? Since you love "facts" so much, do you care to argue this one: Mark Jurich has never worked for anyone but Daddy Jurich. But you'd rather nitpick the resume of a man that multiple companies have hired to run their organizations, so don't talk to me about facts Hank.

I gave you Tyra's resume. What facts did you bring? Since you love "facts" so much, do you care to argue this one: Mark Jurich has never worked for anyone but Daddy Jurich. But you'd rather nitpick the resume of a man that multiple companies have hired to run their organizations, so don't talk to me about facts Hank.

Where did you post these facts? Tyra has had jobs? Well congratulations. Still waiting to see what Tyra has done to increase revenue that is even in the same ballpark as Mark Jurich. Your argument is weak with no data. You seem to think that getting the last word in will somehow win you the argument. Have at it. It isnt a debate if you don’t have any data to back your position.

Where did you post these facts? Tyra has had jobs? Well congratulations. Still waiting to see what Tyra has done to increase revenue that is even in the same ballpark as Mark Jurich. Your argument is weak with no data. You seem to think that getting the last word in will somehow win you the argument. Have at it. It isnt a debate if you don’t have any data to back your position.

You look like an idiot buddy because your demand for data isn't logical or reasonable.

For starters, you can't intelligently compare major donations from a state university to the revenue of private business.These two things are apples to oranges to put it mildly.

Secondly, your logic is completely flawed concerning Mark Jurich and your perception of his accomplishments. As I've already argued, there's a big problem with assuming that he raised a dime without the oversight, support, guidance and resources afforded to him by his father. How much money does he raise without TJ? I don't know and you don't either. I won't even bother to reiterate the blind trust it takes to assume the figures released by his father's athletic department are accurate.

Data only supports a claim when logically applied and accurate.

Mark is a very impressive guy and will be fine. IMO a future star in college athletics as an AD. I’ve actually spoke with him on the phone before. He called me about five years ago when I gave up my b-ball tickets, we had a great talk.

You look like an idiot buddy because your demand for data isn't logical or reasonable.

Do I? Or do you with your inability to back your claim with facts?

For starters, you can't intelligently compare major donations from a state university to the revenue of private business.These two things are apples to oranges to put it mildly.

So you agree that Mark Jurich is more qualified to run the Athletic Department than Vince Tyra.

Secondly, your logic is completely flawed concerning Mark Jurich and your perception of his accomplishments. As I've already argued, there's a big problem with assuming that he raised a dime without the oversight, support, guidance and resources afforded to him by his father. How much money does he raise without TJ? I don't know and you don't either. I won't even bother to reiterate the blind trust it takes to assume the figures released by his father's athletic department are accurate.

So, someone without the oversight, support and guidance of one of the best ADs in college athletics, not to mention ZERO experience in the field at all, should be handed the job and compensated as one of the top ten highest paid ADs (as an interim) simply because you “believe” he is a successful businessman, with no data to back that belief, and because you also believe that Mark Jurich was being paid a hefty amount because he was daddy’s boy? Solid logic there.

Data only supports a claim when logically applied and accurate.

No, data is just data. And since you have none to provide, you are simply making asinine assumptions based on prejudices. This isn’t a debate. You’ve surrendered your argument long ago with your inability and refusal to present facts. At this point you are merely trying to get the last word in a childish “did not/did too” exchange. I believe that’s what the kids call “trolling” these days. Troll away, but this still goes in your loss column, no matter what you “believe”.

Mark is a very impressive guy and will be fine. IMO a future star in college athletics as an AD. I’ve actually spoke with him on the phone before. He called me about five years ago when I gave up my b-ball tickets, we had a great talk.
So...I guess that means you guys are pretty much best buds. Great!

Do I? Or do you with your inability to back your claim with facts?

No, it's as I said. You can't demand "facts" while you eschew logic and fail to provide any facts of your own.

So you agree that Mark Jurich is more qualified to run the Athletic Department than Vince Tyra.

Nope, how did you reach that deduction? Never mind, probably the same way you reach most of your idiotic conclusions.

So, someone without the oversight, support and guidance of one of the best ADs in college athletics, not to mention ZERO experience in the field at all, should be handed the job and compensated as one of the top ten highest paid ADs (as an interim) simply because you “believe” he is a successful businessman, with no data to back that belief, and because you also believe that Mark Jurich was being paid a hefty amount because he was daddy’s boy? Solid logic there.

Again, you either can't read or you are deliberately misrepresenting what I've said. Find where I've said Tyra was clearly the right guy or should have the job? In point of fact, I said it's questionable. My points about him have basically been twofold: 1) He was a successful businessman (you can't provide a single shred of evidence that he wasn't) and 2) He has a resume more impressive than Mark Jurich's as Mark has basically held one job given to him by his father in the most nepotistic of ways. I mean, at least do an internship at a smaller college athletic program before being hired as an associate AD at Louisville.

No, data is just data. And since you have none to provide, you are simply making asinine assumptions based on prejudices. This isn’t a debate. You’ve surrendered your argument long ago with your inability and refusal to present facts. At this point you are merely trying to get the last word in a childish “did not/did too” exchange. I believe that’s what the kids call “trolling” these days. Troll away, but this still goes in your loss column, no matter what you “believe”.

You have been thoroughly schooled in this discussion (can't even call it an argument because that would demand logical claims from you). The crowning example of this is "data is just data." Yeah, for ignorant people who have no idea when or how to apply it, I guess you are correct.

You have been thoroughly schooled in this discussion (can't even call it an argument because that would demand logical claims from you). The crowning example of this is "data is just data." Yeah, for ignorant people who have no idea when or how to apply it, I guess you are correct.

Nope, just people like you who believe qualitative data is as valid as quantitative data.

Doubtful you'd know the difference, but it certainly is when the thing you are attempting to measure can't be compared in absolute terms. This is where "numbers people" grasp at straws.

There's data and then there's common sense. Can you produce evidence that Tyra wasn't a successful businessman? Of course not, because all the information points in exactly the opposite direction.

Because he's largely worked in non-publicly traded companies, how exactly do you want me to quantify his income and success? What I can tell you for certain is that he's held the most important leadership roles just about everywhere he's been. Trya has been a CEO at ISCO, a managing partner at Southfield Capital, and a president at Fruit of the Loom. His career path shows leadership and progression. Moreover, he never worked for his dad. As much as you hate the current administration at U of L, do you really think they just threw money at some middling professional to become U of L's AD at over $1 annually?

I'll listen to the argument that he wasn't the best choice for the job, but to suggest he wasn't successful in the business world flies in the face of all logic.To answer your question about Mark Jurich, yes, the fact that he was hired by his dad with no job history and nothing to prove that he raised the funds without his father's direct oversight and help does indeed nullify the job performance. Like everyone else in the world, Mark Jurich's job performance should be evaluated objectively when he does something completely on his own merit. Meanwhile, you BP's Ghost and others can continue to worship at the church of Jurich. I'll stand by the University of Louisville.
Given that you’ve seen fit to name me - I’ll offer a response. If you’re going to continue to ding MJ, you should at least be consistent and acknowledge the parallels in the case of VT. Both guys had zero experience for the job they were hired and both were hired by their daddies - Jurich by his real father and Tyra by his work father. I’d say that being involved in the program as an all American baseball player and having direct access / conversations with the AD and the insight that provided, certainly was enough to get MJ his unpaid internship. Certainly as much as running an underwear company makes vt experienced enough to be hired as the AD at 100K a month.

As far as ROI? That contest is a blowout at this point. In 10 years Jurich wasn’t paid 3/4 of what Tyra will make in one, and Jurich actually provided tangible results in his tenure.

Tyra? He hasn’t done shit yet - except take up space in the AD’s box at the yum.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
BP,

Finally, I can partially agree with one of your takes. VT is also unproven and probably overpaid. If I were picking our interim AD, it would have been someone with more relevant experience. Hell, I'd have gone with Denny Crum or Schnelly over VT. That said, I'm willing to sit back and see what he produces. At the very least, he seems to be a fan. I won't hold the UK baseball stint against him. U of L sucked at baseball when VT was playing.

Maybe the common theme in all of this, is that we are overpaying most employees. While we're at it, why give Padgett 1.1 million? Would he have turned down the job for 500k? Seems arbitrary to toss cash around when our liquidity is what it is these days.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT